more details on nintendo's online service revealed (may 7th)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

As promised, Nintendo has shared more details on the Nintendo Switch online subscription service, which is due to roll out in September. A post on Nintendo Japan's website and confirmed in English on Twitter explains that the service will offer "Save Data Cloud" backup, which sounds a lot like cloud saves.

This is great news, as it means you don't have to worry about losing progress. Cloud saves are available on Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus as well, along with Steam and others.

View image on Twitter
Nintendo of America✔@NintendoAmerica

#NintendoSwitch Online launches this September with Save Data Cloud backup and 20 classic NES games, with more to come, that have newly added online play!
View pricing and info here: http://bit.ly/2K4r6S9

6:15 PM - May 7, 2018
  • 3,519 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Additionally, you'll get access to a library of 20 NES games at launch, and more will be added "regularly," Nintendo says. The launch titles include the 10 listed below--including Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda--and 10 more to be announced later.

• Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Balloon Fight
  • Ice Climber
  • Dr. Mario
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Super Mario Bros. 3

According to Nintendo, "every classic game" in the NES catalog will have some form of online functionality. "You can compete (or cooperate) online with friends, share your screen, or pass the controller, depending on the game," Nintendo said. Additionally, using a dedicated app for the Switch online service, you can use voice chat.

Paid Content

Get Epic

This 75-inch Sony 4K Ultra HD TV takes entertainment to the next level.

The Switch's paid membership program was originally supposed to launch in late 2017 before Nintendo delayed it to 2018. Subscriptions will be available for 1 month ($4), 3 months ($8), and 12 months ($20). Additionally, a Family Membership will be available for $35. The family plan allows a Nintendo Account holder to "invite up to seven others to join a family group," and every member of the group will have access to the online membership benefits.

By comparison, Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus cost $60/year.

Since launch, online play for all Switch games has been free. That will change in September when the paid service rolls out. At that time, you will need a membership to play Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, and Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido online. Other games may or may not require a membership, Nintendo said. Nintendo will share more details at a later date about how you will know if a game requires a paid membership or not.

In other Nintendo news, the company has announced the date and time of its E3 2018 briefing, while it's also confirmed thatthe new Smash Bros. for Switch is playable on the show floor.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-online-service-introduces-cloud-sa/1100-6458785/

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i actually have 2 accounts.

a japanese and american account. so i have to pay 35$ for a family account to use 2 profiles?

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

So cheap I like it

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Finally, could saves!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
deactivated-5b01abbec19e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
Member since 2018 • 104 Posts

Cloud saves are included in the online service to sucker people into paying for it

Loading Video...

**** you, Nintendo. You fucking bastards.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@mario54324 said:

Cloud saves are included in the online service to sucker people into paying for it

I know right? It's almost like they expect you to pay for a service that will cost them money to make possible. The horror of actually having to pay for a service to use it. We should get everything for free.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
deactivated-5b01abbec19e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
Member since 2018 • 104 Posts

@dotWithShoes said:
@mario54324 said:

I know right? It's almost like they expect you to pay for a service that will cost them money to make possible. The horror of actually having to pay for a service to use it. We should get everything for free.

Are you defending this bollox? Money for Xbox and PSN doesn't do jack, it just goes straight to Sony and Microsoft's pockets. The same thing will happen to Nintendo, and fanboys like you will defend it. For clarification, PC has the best online and it's free. Valve don't need extra money to "keep their servers up"

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

@dotWithShoes said:
@mario54324 said:

Okay, **** you! The Wii U had all of that and it was free! We're literally paying just to keep what we had before! I wouldn't mind paying if we got quality services, but we didn't. We still have to use that shitty app, cloud saves are free for every other console, including Nintendo consoles, and if we don't pay we can't play online (something the Wii U had for free).

If we get together and boycott this shit, they might either make it free again, or give us better online services for the price.

xwingz900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xwingz900
Member since 2018 • 27 Posts

$20 is not as much as the competition but in general it sucks that we have to pay for online now. I don't care how many NES games they shove down are throats to justify the cost.(I have most of those on cartridge anyway) Cloud saves are meh tbh, I don't use them anyway. It's funny how it works, I remember back in the Wii U days we made fun of companies for charging to play online, but when Nintendo does it, it's OK? Like Mario54321 said, Nintendo fanboys are blind and stupid enough to let this happen.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@luxuryheart said:
@dotWithShoes said:
@mario54324 said:

Okay, **** you! The Wii U had all of that and it was free! We're literally paying just to keep what we had before! I wouldn't mind paying if we got quality services, but we didn't. We still have to use that shitty app, cloud saves are free for every other console, including Nintendo consoles, and if we don't pay we can't play online (something the Wii U had for free).

If we get together and boycott this shit, they might either make it free again, or give us better online services for the price.

The Wii U had cloud saves?

anon_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 anon_fire
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

@luxuryheart said:
@dotWithShoes said:
@mario54324 said:

Maybe it wouldn't be this way if it had never happened on the other platforms, but back then no one didn't do jack to stop it.

Avatar image for sonicforces2017
Sonicforces2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 8

#12 Sonicforces2017
Member since 2017 • 70 Posts

IT’S SO CHEEP. $29 for ONLINE PLAY, CLOUD SAVES, 20+ NES GAMES WITH ADDED FEATURES & that stupid phone app.

Think about what would happen when you loose 100 of hours of Zelda, Mario & Splatoon

But they could at leased give us an offline save data back up the the 3DS

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#13 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

Do we know if you can play the NES games online with friends only or random people? At $20 a year this is a no brainer purchase.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

No, I don't think $20 is unreasonable for online service. But I do think hiding cloud saves behind a paywall is a scumbag move.

HavenGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HavenGames
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

I'm getting ready for all these retro games, so I modded my Joy-Con to give it a real D-pad (Sega Saturn, specifically). I also wrote a mod guide so others can do it. Enjoy!

https://medium.com/@NanoGameReviews/sega-saturn-d-pad-joy-con-mod-guide-for-nintendo-switch-390d2425da90

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@deactivated-5b01abbec19e9: I'd rather pay 20 a year w access to free games? Sounds good to me

Xbox one only gives 4 free games for 60 a year same for Sony