Mega Man 9 On WiiWare

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Check it out: http://wii.ign.com/articles/884/884605p1.html

Discuss.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
It's amazing how far Mega Man has fallen.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Awesome!
starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
Splash WOMAN is a BOSS now i've seen everything
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
Why WiiWare though? Mega Man 9 is a game with incredible sales potential, and no one but hardcore gamers and the most devout Wii users even know WiiWare exists.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

It's amazing how far Mega Man has fallen. nintendofreak_2

Don't dare you say that. Those guys made Megaman X 1-3, they rock. And this is Megaman, not Megaman DRS Neon Dx 3.0. It's killer app material. But is it confirmed for XBLA and PSN too?

thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
I don't see any problem with the developer taking the series back to its roots via WiiWare. If it's anywhere as good as Mega Man 2, I'll be happy.
Picklechugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Picklechugger
Member since 2004 • 1465 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]It's amazing how far Mega Man has fallen. Wintry_Flutist

Don't dare you say that. Those guys made Megaman X 1-3, they rock. And this is Megaman, not Megaman DRS Neon Dx 3.0. Killer app. But is it confirmed for XBLA and PSN too?

Right, I'm really excited, we need a new side-scrolling mega man sequel, it's been too long.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wintry_Flutist

Why WiiWare though? Mega Man 9 is a game with incredible sales potential, and no one but hardcore gamers and the most devout Wii users even know WiiWare exists.JAB991

Megaman is a series that will never require more than a few MB, it relies on intelligent design only. Back in the 80's and 90's, this could be worth a full price retail game, but this is not the case anymore. Anyway, the game will be just as awesome, and you shouldn't take WiiWare so lightly. For one thing, it's games like MM9 that will make WiiWare known for a lot more people.

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
TC, you may want to change the title of this thread to something like "Mega Man 9 CONFIRMED for Wii Ware!" or "Mega Man 9 Confirmed + Scans!"
Corvidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Corvidae
Member since 2003 • 4357 Posts
I'm OK with it. Maybe there'll be something on WiiWare worth getting now.
gamerkid600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamerkid600
Member since 2008 • 435 Posts

Please don't tell me this was Capom's secret game for the Wii.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
Epic. Day 1 purchase.
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts
Awesome news! Thanx for the post!
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wintry_Flutist

gamerkid600

How can you be pissed?

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerkid600"]

Wintry_Flutist

How can you be pissed?

I agree. Mega Man get's trashed a lot.

I guess everyone's still upset about Mega Man 64?

ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
I love Mega Man classic, X, and legends :D
gamerkid600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamerkid600
Member since 2008 • 435 Posts
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"][QUOTE="gamerkid600"]

Dark_Link142

How can you be pissed?

I agree. Mega Man get's trashed a lot.

I guess everyone's still upset about Mega Man 64?

I am just not a Mega Man fan.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="JAB991"]Why WiiWare though? Mega Man 9 is a game with incredible sales potential, and no one but hardcore gamers and the most devout Wii users even know WiiWare exists.Wintry_Flutist

Megaman is a series that will never require more than a few MB, it relies on intelligent design only. Back in the 80's and 90's, this could be worth a full price retail game, but this is not the case anymore. Anyway, the game will be just as awesome, and you shouldn't take WiiWare so lightly. For one thing, it's games like MM9 that will make WiiWare known for a lot more people.

Yeah the only way I can see this as a retail game is if it had Megaman 1 - 8 plus this game on one disc. But they already had that on the GCN just without the new game.
SoldatKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SoldatKnight
Member since 2004 • 1557 Posts
:shock: ...Yay!
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

"hopes in surpassing the quality of Mega Man 2"

That game was full of heart (they literally made it instead of sleeping while working on another game!), but if anyone could do it, it would be Capcom and Inti Creates.

Now to everyone here, PLEASE stop yelling at Capcom! They have given everyone exactly what they want. Now we need to tell other companies to do the same. Like Nintendo.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wintry_Flutist

http://gonintendo.com/?p=47632

Well, it won't be hard to compare it to MM2.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

gamerkid600

Why would you be angry?

Anyway, this is listed as mutliplat on an australian rating's board, so the Wii game is probably an exclusive.
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nintendofreak_2

Don't dare you say that. Those guys made Megaman X 1-3, they rock. And this is Megaman, not Megaman DRS Neon Dx 3.0. It's killer app material. But is it confirmed for XBLA and PSN too?

Wintry_Flutist
I say that because when Mega Man, one of the biggest franchises in gaming history, is reduced to having it's next big release on a downloadable service for smaller budget titles, it shows something. And that something is that the series is in big trouble.
MrPoo6321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrPoo6321
Member since 2007 • 769 Posts

I don't see any problem with the developer taking the series back to its roots via WiiWare. If it's anywhere as good as Mega Man 2, I'll be happy.thebisonx

I read an interview on WiiWare-World.com with the developer of Mega Man 9, and he said he is hoping to surpass the greatness of Mega Man 2 w/this new one, Mega Man 9.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
I prefer the Megaman X style and gameplay.... oh well must buy anyway.
Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts

It's amazing how far Mega Man has fallen. nintendofreak_2

At least he isn't golfing, go-carting, bowling, playing softball & soccer or brawling with other B-mascots. It could have been a lot worse.

MM9 on Wiiware is full of WIN! FIRST DAY DOWNLOAD!

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 linkyshinks
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts
Awesome game.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

nintendofreak_2

I say that because when Mega Man, one of the biggest franchises in gaming history, is reduced to having it's next big release on a downloadable service for smaller budget titles, it shows something. And that something is that the series is in big trouble.

I would agree if Capcom didn't create new series (Megaman X, Zero...) to introduce the Megaman gameplay into new generations of consoles. Megaman 9 is pretty much taking the main Megaman series from where it was left. (No need to remind me of Megaman 7 and 8, I know they exist).

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 linkyshinks
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts
Everything beyond 1 and 2 was absolute crap.
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendofreak_2

I would agree if Capcom didn't create new series (Megaman X, Zero...) to introduce the Megaman gameplay into new generations of consoles. Megaman 9 is pretty much taking the main Megaman series from where it was left. (No need to remind me of Megaman 7 and 8, I know they exist).

Wintry_Flutist
I think it would make more sense to keep the main series on full priced games (or at least retail, the price isn't the point) and have the spin-offs on Wiiware and handhelds, but whatever.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

nintendofreak_2

I think it would make more sense to keep the main series on full priced games (or at least retail, the price isn't the point) and have the spin-offs on Wiiware and handhelds, but whatever.

But it's not like the Megaman series has made its way to this generation like Final Fantasy or Zelda. Megaman series was born on the NES and pretty much died on the NES (Megaman 7 and 8 didn't much to keep it alive since then the Megaman X series was already "responsible" for the franchise).

People have to understand this is Megaman 9. It's not the rebirth of the franchise, it's the continuation of the long forgotten Megaman series. Maybe it seems awkward because right now there is no main Megaman series, like Megaman was on the NES, or Megaman X on the SNES/PS1 or as Megaman Zero tried to be (it almost succeeded). I guess Megaman ZX is supposed to be it, but meh... Anyway, it's not up to Megaman 9 to mark the next gen entry of the franchise.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nintendofreak_2

But it's not like the Megaman series has made its way to this generation like Final Fantasy or Zelda. Megaman series was born on the NES and pretty much died on the NES (Megaman 7 and 8 didn't much to keep it alive since then the Megaman X series was already "responsible" for the franchise).

People have to understand this is Megaman 9. It's not the rebirth of the franchise, it's the continuation of the long forgotten Megaman series. Maybe it seems awkward because right now there is no main Megaman series, like Megaman was on the NES, or Megaman X on the SNES/PS1 or as Megaman Zero tried to be (it almost succeeded). I guess Megaman ZX is supposed to be it, but meh... Anyway, it's not up to Megaman 9 to mark the next gen entry of the franchise.

Wintry_Flutist
But don't you think that the next installment that is reviving the series should be a retail game instead of a Wiiware title? Putting the game on Wiiware only seems to significantly hold back development. If the game went to a disc, there's much more space that could be used for anything the devs wanted to do which could* mean a higher quality game with more content.

I think the new Wario game is a good example. They kept it 2D (like Mega Man) but they put it on a disc so they would be less constrained. The devs can put more into the game, and it seems faithful to the originals. I think it shows that they are serious about the game whereas if they had put it on Wiiware it would seem to me that they aren't going to put as much in the game as they could.

If they put the game on a disc, it would prove, to me at least, that they are serious about reviving the main series.

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jazunn

[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

nintendofreak_2
But don't you think that the next installment that is reviving the series should be a retail game instead of a Wiiware title? Putting the game on Wiiware only seems to significantly hold back development. If the game went to a disc, there's much more space that could be used for anything the devs wanted to do which could* mean a higher quality game with more content.

I think the new Wario game is a good example. They kept it 2D (like Mega Man) but they put it on a disc so they would be less constrained. The devs can put more into the game, and it seems faithful to the originals. I think it shows that they are serious about the game whereas if they had put it on Wiiware it would seem to me that they aren't going to put as much in the game as they could.

If they put the game on a disc, it would prove, to me at least, that they are serious about reviving the main series.

They are reviving the series in a new exciting way. People here post everyday for a new WW metroid or mario and some people were dissapointed that the wario game was a retail game.

The fact they are using the old sprites means they want to impress us with level design and gameplay.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts
Not a Megaman fan myself, but for the fans, this must be epic. I'm surprised by the 8-bit look, though. They could have added a little more detail, maybe. :?
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts

They are reviving the series in a new exciting way. People here post everyday for a new WW metroid or mario and some people were dissapointed that the wario game was a retail game.

Jazunn
And I was one of those people, the new Wario Land just seemed so short for a retail game, and for what Megaman is known for in his proper name, it would be FAR too short for a retail game. But it can get away with that on WiiWare for a respectable price.
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]It's amazing how far Mega Man has fallen. Jazunn

At least he isn't golfing, go-carting, bowling, playing softball & soccer or brawling with other B-mascots. It could have been a lot worse.

I lol'd

Cant wait for this game! I love the Mega Man series!

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]

[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

Jazunn

The fact they are using the old sprites means they want to impress us with level design and gameplay.

Also, think about how expensive game development is these days. 2D console games are rarely viable (which is why most true 2D games are on the DS these days). It could be that Capcom would only greenlight this for something like WiiWare, or it could be that they simply want to try to make an NES-style game.

Nothing wrong with that... I never thought I'd see the day. Mega Man 9. Confirmed. Real.

I'd say I can die happy now, but then I wouldn't get to play it. :P

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

But don't you think that the next installment that is reviving the series should be a retail game instead of a Wiiware title?nintendofreak_2

No. People won't buy a game that looks like this in a store. The majority of window shoppers would dismiss it as a crappy game that belongs in the 80s.

But on WiiWare, for a cheap price, people might buy it off of name recognition. And lots of people will buy it for nostalgia.

My guess is that most of the people in this forum didn't grow up with Megaman like some of us did. They grew up with the truly crappy sequels that can't hold a candle to the originals. I can't even guess how many times I beat the first six games in one sitting each. I absolutely loved them when I was a kid.

This announcement made my day. I can't wait. :D This is the kind of thing that makes me very excited about the possibilities of WiiWare and other download services - it gives developers an incentive to work on new old-school styIe games.

Corvidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Corvidae
Member since 2003 • 4357 Posts

Not a Megaman fan myself, but for the fans, this must be epic. I'm surprised by the 8-bit look, though. They could have added a little more detail, maybe. :?k_smoove

They could have at least bumped it up to SNES quality. The 2D look is a choice based gameplay, the 8-bit look is a choice based on being cheap and not wanting to spend too much time on the game.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

They could have at least bumped it up to SNES quality. The 2D look is a choice based gameplay, the 8-bit look is a choice based on being cheap and not wanting to spend too much time on the game. Corvidae

I disagree completely. You're right that it was a conscious decision, but I seriously doubt that it was based solely on budget reasons. That's just an added bonus. The designers more than likely would much rather work on a new game that would fit right in with its NES kindred, which are probably the games they grew up playing.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendofreak_2

No. People won't buy a game that looks like this in a store. The majority of window shoppers would dismiss it as a crappy game that belongs in the 80s.

But on WiiWare, for a cheap price, people might buy it off of name recognition. And lots of people will buy it for nostalgia.

JordanElek
I highly doubt a developer like Capcom would put an 8-bit game on retail. They could easily improve on the graphics and make it look very nice (like Wario).
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

All I can say is wow!

I've went from cautiously optimistic to extremely giddy after seeing this. I didn't expect this at all. And to all the skeptics, this is the way Mega Man was always meant to be played... 8 robot masters, 2D, and 8-bit goodness. It could very well make Mega Man relevant again.

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]It's amazing how far Mega Man has fallen. Jazunn

Oh look, here is Mega Man golfing, go-karting, playing soccer, brawling with a B mascot(which he does often),

And for the worse? Try his board game.

Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it?

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Wow. Mega Man is finnaly going back to his roots. I'll definatly be getting this game.
Spektre41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Spektre41
Member since 2007 • 3217 Posts

I'm in ecstasy that Megaman 9 is coming out, but it being an 8-bit Wii Ware game is kind of dissapointing. I was hoping for a beautiful side scrolling DS game.

Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
[QUOTE="Jazunn"]

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]It's amazing how far Mega Man has fallen. SirSpudly

Oh look, here is Mega Man golfing, go-karting, playing soccer, brawling with a B mascot(which he does often),

I didnt even know about the board game... was it realesed in the US?

Also dont forget how Capcom made Mega man fight zombies.

LINK

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jazunn
[QUOTE="Jazunn"]

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]It's amazing how far Mega Man has fallen. SirSpudly

Ok ok ok... My bad (now that I remember, I loved the mega man soccer game ;) ) but you get my point...