Matt Cassamass..... Is Leaving IGN, Maybe Trustworthy Wii Reviews Are Next?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

As I said in the title, Matt Cassamassamilkawha? is on his way out when it comes to working for IGN's Wii department and that means (hopefully) new blood into the Wii section there.

I have high hopes for this change, new blood has been needed in the Wii section since 2005 and it will finally be done. Well it's GOTTA be done now since the main 2 people have left this year.

Who else here is going to follow IGN's Wii coverage a little closer now

THIS IS A LINK AND IF YOU FOLLOW IT MORE WORDS WILL APPEAR

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
no one at ign knows anything about games with their pointless editorals that they shove down are troughs
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

HVS just lost their best freind in the world :(

Looks like IGn won't be overating/hyping the conduit 2 like they did with the first one....... at least I hope....

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Wow Apple. That is a major step up from regular editorials.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Matt has been my favorite reviewer for years so I am going to miss his input. I hope everything at Apple goes well for him. Bozon is the man to though.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
I though Matt was permanently tethered to the IGN building. He left the Nintendo section months ago anyway, he was only back and forth, for awhile now its been Craig an Bozon and a few random people. He is definitely moving up in the world, he's going to be right in the middle of the Apple/Skynet movement.
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

Sad news

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I listened to the IGN Nintendo podcast last week just to give it a try, and it seemed like none of the people even cared remotely about the Wii, except maybe Craig. But as the host, he had to keep the show on track, except when they hit the peak of their excitement when talking about... 3D Dot Game Heroes. On a Nintendo podcast.

All of that to say that this is probably good news for the IGN Wii section. Maybe they'll finally have a full team that isn't completely condescending to their audience and actually has a generally positive view of their subject material. That would be nice, considering Gamespot and Giant Bomb don't have anyone with any kind of view of the Wii.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Yeah ign will have better opinions now... oh wait

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I though Matt was permanently tethered to the IGN building. He left the Nintendo section months ago anyway, he was only back and forth, for awhile now its been Craig an Bozon and a few random people. He is definitely moving up in the world, he's going to be right in the middle of the Apple/Skynet movement. Sepewrath
Matt has been my favorite reviewer for years so I am going to miss his input. I hope everything at Apple goes well for him. Bozon is the man to though.TheColbert
Bozon left months before Matt did. Craig Harris is the only Nintendo editor left at IGN.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

There is a God.

I can think of few other people in the world who deserve their jobs as little as Matt does.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

Good news. Will I trust IGN more now? No, probably not. Sadly, I don't think the absence of Matt is enough for IGN to not suck anymore.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
YE-HES!!!! Good. Freekin. Riddance. So long, good night, hastalavista...or, I don't know how you spell that but you get the idea. Don't ever come back. Don't even think of coming back Matt CassaMANIAC.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#14 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
That's excellent news, but don't get your hopes up about IGN reviews.
darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

:shock::o:x:evil::cry:

*CRY HARD*

First, I fail the English segment of my college placement test. Then, my 300 point marketing project breaks. My imaginary gf dumped me. AND NOW THIS!!!! Can my day get any worse....?

Well at least todays episode of Supernatural was good...

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Never trusted game reviews before, won't start trusting them now.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Good riddance? He is going to make more money then he ever did before and he will also have more of an impact on the game industry than he ever did before. So for those who loathe him this isn't good news esp. since you could just, you know, ignore him being that he is on a different website than GS. NOw he is directly impacting any Apple users.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JordanElek

Good riddance? He is going to make more money then he ever did before and he will also have more of an impact on the game industry than he ever did before. So for those who loathe him this isn't good news esp. since you could just, you know, ignore him being that he is on a different website than GS. NOw he is directly impacting any Apple users.

thedude-
He might actually be good at that, though, who knows.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
Bozon left months before Matt did. Craig Harris is the only Nintendo editor left at IGN.meetroid8
Did he? I really hadn't noticed. Well then I guess its just Craig and a bunch of random people
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="thedude-"]

JordanElek

You and your silly jokes!

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"][QUOTE="thedude-"]

Jaysonguy

Jo...kes?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#22 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="JordanElek"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

He might actually be good at that, though, who knows.JordanElek

Jo...kes?

Don't be bashful. That was a good joke ;)
UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UbiquitousAeon
Member since 2010 • 2099 Posts

You should probably discuss this on IGN...

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jaysonguy

Matt: "You choo-choo-choose me?"

Apple:"Yes, you have a long career of putting aside your journalistic integrity to blatantly promote a company's wares, you will now shill for us"

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I actually agreed with the majority of his reviews, I'm not exactly sure why people hate him aside from that one "Nintendo is Lazy" article. Can people give me more examples on why we're glad he's gone?
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kontejner44

I actually agreed with the majority of his reviews, I'm not exactly sure why people hate him aside from that one "Nintendo is Lazy" article. Can people give me more examples on why we're glad he's gone?Meinhard1

My guess is that he is bad at "journalism"

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JordanElek

I actually agreed with the majority of his reviews, I'm not exactly sure why people hate him aside from that one "Nintendo is Lazy" article. Can people give me more examples on why we're glad he's gone?Meinhard1
He has a clear pro-hardcore agenda, and most of his writing is rambling and sometimes just plain bad. The former probably isn't a bad thing to most people, but I couldn't stand it. And the latter drove me crazy.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I think we can. Craig is the only one left, and he was easily the best out of the three.

darthaxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darthaxel
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts
I never read one of his reviews, so I don't know what the deal is
Darthschneider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darthschneider
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts
Why are most people angry at poor Matt is he like a bad reviewer?? Srry I don't follow IGN much :?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GabuEx

The most egregious example for me was his Sonic and the Black Knight review, which contained flat-out factual inaccuracies and made it clear that he had not completed most of the game before writing his review. I don't care if he thought it was a bad game, there's no excuse for that. Never trusted him further than I could throw him after that.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

There is a God.

I can think of few other people in the world who deserve their jobs as little as Matt does.

GabuEx
Amen. Matt represented everything that was wrong with gaming journalists, and his departure gives me at least a little tiny bit of faith that things will turn around now.
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

Matt: "You choo-choo-choose me?"

Apple:"Yes, you have a long career of putting aside your journalistic integrity to blatantly promote a company's wares, you will now shill for us"

Jaysonguy
A match made in hell, for sure. :D
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Good news since I couldn't stand Matt. I doubt IGN will be any better.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GabuEx

thedude-

I have no plans on buying an iPhone or any other Apple product for that matter, so in his new position I will never see or hear from him again. :P

Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts

Its a shame. I remember him making fun of the Sonic fanboys who were sending him hate mails just because of his review of Sonic and the Black Knight. Gosh....

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

I don't know why anyone would be glad that Matt is leaving IGN. I mean now all you got are a bunch of writers who really wanted to write for the 360 and PS3 pages. Therefore expect Wii previews/reviews to lack depth and lower review scores--all because the remaining writers can't wait to get back to their third and first person shooters. However, Matt left the Nintendo team months ago, and was doing whatever, so I'm already adjusted to his absence. Well I hope the best for him.

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kontejner44

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I actually agreed with the majority of his reviews, I'm not exactly sure why people hate him aside from that one "Nintendo is Lazy" article. Can people give me more examples on why we're glad he's gone?GabuEx

The most egregious example for me was his Sonic and the Black Knight review, which contained flat-out factual inaccuracies and made it clear that he had not completed most of the game before writing his review. I don't care if he thought it was a bad game, there's no excuse for that. Never trusted him further than I could throw him after that.

Yeah he was 1.5 away from the metascore. The Conduit was even worse, 1.7. It's not that big of a deal as you make it to be.

Presentation 8.5

Graphics 8.5

Sound 7.5

Gameplay 3.0;Possibly designed by monkeys. Everything you've ever liked about Sonic games -- speed, great level designs -- is gone. Instead, you will crawl through stages and fight enemy after enemy, with waggle.

Lasting appeal 3.0 (a result of gameplay 3.0)

Overall: 3.9

If you actually read his review you'll understand why he scored it that low, read the bold part. He reviewed this game as a Sonic game, comparing it with other Sonic games.

That's how you score a game, the gameplay outweights everything else and basically dictates its score. His video review was just a fun parody, unless you're biased towards Sonic.

This guy has huge understanding of gaming, sure he's "bad at journalism" w/e you say,but if you can look past that he's one of the greatest reviewers. Being the only "Editor-at-large" on IGN, and now this incredible job, and you say he sucks? lol

RIP

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#39 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I actually agreed with the majority of his reviews, I'm not exactly sure why people hate him aside from that one "Nintendo is Lazy" article. Can people give me more examples on why we're glad he's gone?kontejner44

Yeah he was 1.5 away from the metascore. The Conduit was even worse, 1.7. It's not that big of a deal as you make it to be.

Presentation 8.5

Graphics 8.5

Sound 7.5

Gameplay 3.0;Possibly designed by monkeys. Everything you've ever liked about Sonic games -- speed, great level designs -- is gone. Instead, you will crawl through stages and fight enemy after enemy, with waggle.

If you actually read his review you'll understand why he scored it that low, read the bold part. He reviewed this game as a Sonic game, comparing it with other Sonic games.

That's how you score a game, the gameplay outweights everything else and basically dictates its score. His video review was just a fun parody, unless you're biased towards Sonic.

This guy has huge understanding of gaming, sure he's "bad at journalism" w/e you say,but if you can look past that he's one of the greatest reviewers. Being the only "Editor-at-large" on IGN, and now this incredible job, and you say he sucks? lol

RIP

I'm pretty sure that Gabu said that he had problems with factual inaccuracies in his review, the review being the part that has the text, not the random meaningless numbers after the important part.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
at least it seemed like he actually liked the wii which is more then I can say for many reviewers.
HawkEye1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HawkEye1997
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I still will only go to Gamespot for meh reviews and news, doesn't affect me at all
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kontejner44

I'm pretty sure that Gabu said that he had problems with factual inaccuracies in his review, the review being the part that has the text, not the random meaningless numbers after the important part.Legolas_Katarn

Yeah everything has to be perfect in the journalism world. Being wrong is clearly something bad.

I'd take him over any current game editor despite "flaws" and "contradictions" this guy had understanding of gaming.

In-depth Nintendo coverage died with Greg Kasavin and Matt. I have zero interest in this part of the industry as of now. Craig is my only hope left, but the IGN Nintendo team as a whole is now dead, just like GS.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JordanElek

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]I'm pretty sure that Gabu said that he had problems with factual inaccuracies in his review, the review being the part that has the text, not the random meaningless numbers after the important part.kontejner44

Yeah everything has to be perfect in the journalism world. Being wrong is clearly something bad.

I'd take him over any current game editor despite "flaws" and "contradictions" this guy had understanding of gaming.

In-depth Nintendo coverage died with Greg Kasavin and Matt. I have zero interest in this part of the industry as of now. Craig is my only hope left, but the IGN Nintendo team as a whole is now dead, just like GS.

That last part I agree with. It seems like there isn't a single major gaming site that even pretends to care about the Wii any more.

Even with Matt at IGN, it seemed like he liked the IDEA of the Wii, as in the potential it has to have some interesting traditional games for traditional gamers, but he HATED what the Wii actually is. For those of us who enjoy what the Wii offers as an alternative to the regular old stuff, Matt's take on Nintendo seemed irrelevant. Let's talk about what we have, not what we might've had or what we "should" have. The Wii is going in an obvious direction, and it'd be nice to have somebody cover that with excitement.

But with all that said, there's an expansive blue ocean for Wii coverage out there. I know there are a few newish, smaller sites that have sprung up to cover just the Wii, so hopefully they can build up.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
Why are most people angry at poor Matt is he like a bad reviewer?? Srry I don't follow IGN much :?Darthschneider
Because this is the internet and people like to hate something because they are bored and have nothing better to do. I will miss Matt and I already miss Bozon. I was pretty much in agreement with most of their opinions (except their love of Apple which of course probably got Matt his good new job). At least Craig is left of the old Nintendo team. Either way at least that site reviewed stuff and had news unlike some other game sites :) .
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Hurray! He sucked ass. Even worse than usual IGn folk :P
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

IGN had sunk into a black hole and they will never recover. IGN was cool last gen. It was cooler when N64.com was there. I was more a IGN guy for the reviews and the news.

Why is Daemon still there? He's worthless with his bashing editorials.

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts

Since Matt left the IGN Nintendo team several months ago the Nintendo coverage has been pathetic. It's turned into a farce. The Nintendo Voice Chat podcast is now a joke. Nothing but Wii bashing and non Nintendo related stuff.

At least Matt liked the Wii and Nintendo. Bozon also left a little while back and now that place is useless for Wii fans. Craig has allowed things to run amuck.

Sad for IGN, but good news for Apple. All the best Matt.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GabuEx

Presentation 8.5

Graphics 8.5

Sound 7.5

kontejner44

Yeah, except for the fact that - again - his review was plagued with factual inaccuracies, and one of those inaccuracies even made it clear that he did not play the vast majority of the game, as the place where his review claimed the ending occurred was nowhere near the actual ending of the game. In other words, he basically just played the game for an hour or two, concluded that it sucked, and then went off to write his review. If he had actually played the whole game through and felt that it sucked, then fine, but he didn't, and in fact he didn't play most of the game, and that is absolutely inexcusable in my books.

When I say "factual inaccuracies", I don't mean "he said the game sucked and I disagree". I mean quite literally factually inaccuracies, as in "he said X was the case and that is objectively false". I don't even care about the score; I care about the fact that a person with no idea what to expect who read his review will have false information planted in his or her brain. That people don't even seem to care about this, and seem only to care about whether or not the score is what they would have given the game, makes me weep for the future of game journalism.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Oh lord Jay just calm down you negative nancy to end all nancies. Cassamssina is a great editor and one of the coolest guys in the world. Not to mention he's been a great voice for Nintendo fans out there, even if you (boo-hoo) didn;t agree with many or even all of his reviews. The world's not all about what you hate in life.....it's okay to talk about things you (gasp!) like.

This is the first I've actually heard about this and I am terribly sad to hear it. But as a long time follower and huge fan of his i wish him the best and congratulate him on what must bea better opportunity for him.

and P.S. him leaving at this point in the game won;t affect the Wii and Nintendo channel at IGN at all since he's been Editor-at-alrge for the last several months and contributed literally nothing to the Ninty channel for a long time. Just fyi.

Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

i'd love to know what Matt was smoking when he decided to give Conduit a 8.6