Mario Party 8...Impressions / Mini Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mkfalcon2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mkfalcon2007
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts

well its finally here!  the first party 'party' game we've all been waiting for! well most of us anyway.  I picked up a copy this morning, played a few boards by myself and invited some freinds over to try out 4 player action.  and.... what is my reaction to this game? is it exhillerating? is it mind blowing? is it fun? is it new? 

beofre i get to the answer, i want to let u know..that for all these years ive been a rather big mario party fan.  ii own all 3 n64 titles..still got my good ol' n64, and i own the gc ones too. i sold 6 tho..sinc eit had my least fav minigames.  these have always provided my friends and myself with counbtless hours of competition, trash talkin and time well wasted.  and we were all..especially myself..eagerly anitipating the release of a wii version.  ive been dying to get this...the wiimote was gonna bring new life into the series...and without further ado, the answer....

the answer is... ITs LACKLUSTER !  unfortunately..nintendo and hudson soft really missed the ball on this one.  its a mix of rayman raving rabbids, monkey ball , wii play, and some older mario parties...sounds like a good mix..but truth is, its nothing close. 

the graphics aren't soo good...the levels could of looked soo much better..but they look like mario party 5 with blurrier character models, but who cares about graphics?  music...well nobody cares...its mario party music..let it be.  gameplay, i'd give it 6/10 with a fun factor of 5/10.

the minigames, have all been done before...in other games..but executed soo much better.  raving rabbids introduced fun shooting level minigames.  mario party 8...does the same..with very dumbed down shooting...just point at a target, ur character stays put..and targets appear. point and click.  the targets are often soo big that the precision of the wiimote is not necessary.  the shooting games are pretty much mario party 4 - shooting ballons from a train.  in mp8, you shoot a mushroom taget..but avoid gumba target (theres three of them lined up), ghosts, falling cards (based on luck - each card has diff amount pts) and other short mingames.  driving minigames some us the d-pad...quite dissapointing. then other mini's where u gotta turn to avoid obstacles...u have to twist the wiimote.  tilting would of been easier...but u have to twist it..and the controls are unresponsive...snowboarding feels like disney on ice...lack of control. hover crafts..it feels like u have little to no control..u can't even accelerate..just twist. other games i played..like sawing a board..and painting a sheet of paper...done before in every othe r mario party. shooting paint at gumbas from moving paltforms...interesting..but too bad..u can only move the platform using d-pad. to be honest, mario parties 4,5,6,7 all do a better hob than this game. its pathetic. rehash...but low quality. 

lets get onto a good thing...theres a shop, called the bazaar and every minigame u play u earn cards (tokens) that u can use to buy minigames (supposedly good ones) and other goodies.  however, theres one problem! u can't buy any minigagmes until u beat the single playe rmode....which i shall now explain...

single player battle star arena (career mode)  is tedious and boring.  its u vs one computer. and u gotta finish every level to beat this.  whats soo boring? theres no minigames after turns.  normally, when each pkayer finishes their tunr, before they get to their second turn theres a minigame.  well in this mode, thats not the case.  instead, the only way to earn coins is random places u land on and duel minigames..but only if someone lands on a duel spot.  which may seem to take forever. it took 9 turns before a duel happened for me on the dk level!  and when a duel is finished...u throw a dart to see how many coins u steel.  the options on the wheel are : 1coin, 5 coins, or 10 coins.  not alot.  theres no wagering either. single player, i honestly can't give it more than a 5/10. sorry nintendo..u blew it.

boards are sorta a repeat from mario party 7.  u have a jungle level (dk's treetop temple) similar to the chinese temple mountain level from mario party 7 - only less exciting.  boo house - which is a confusion maze..in that the star is hidden and until u randomly meet boo...u won't get it.  the beach level is a straight path! yep..keep goin straight.  get to the end..if u have 50 coins u get a star. if u don't , no star.  in single player battle star arena, this level plain sucks, b/c there are no minigames b/w turns...theres only two player u and a computer...and itll take two trips to get a star..first trip is for nothin..since no minigames = no coin income.  theres a town level...small...but seems to be the largest..but it is copletely based on the windmill level from mario party 7..collect the most hotels (not windmills) and the more hotels u invest coins in the more stars.the other boards i have not unlocked.  theres only 6 total.

sadly....68$ wasted...mayb if i paid 20$ for this..but it would still prolly land in the back of my closet.  we spent some few hours on it...but ended up playin raving rabbids..which we all agreed is far superior to this game.  we also had some fun time with wario ware..which i would recommend ove rthis game.  and with that, i think the series has met its end.  i kno it sux.,..but damn..even online wouldn't save this.  now when mario strikers comingmout? i can still get 30$ store credit for this...!

lite_ds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lite_ds
Member since 2006 • 520 Posts

Just got a full review at GS

mkfalcon2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mkfalcon2007
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts

also, i may add, the item system is pure luck..and is barely worth it.  one item, seems good "vampire candy" but is quite not soo good.  u trun into a vampire and take coins from each player.  well u must first throw a dart at a roulette...u either take 1 coin, 5 coins, 10 coins from each player.  so the max u can take is 30 coins and the least u can get is 3 coins, with the mid being 15 coins.  well this item costs 15 coins...soo if u get one of the first two pts...u lose on this deal.  other items have simillar issues and none really benefit the user.  lighting cuts the leaders coins in half..but the coins just vanish.so u don't get em either.  and most items reuire luck to be of any use. the only good ones r double and triple dice. the rest is fluff.

also, u cannot set traps in this game.  so there r no surpises along the way for ur fellow players.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11935 Posts

Just got a full review at GS

lite_ds
Apparently, IGN gave it a 5.2