Mario Kart 7 Problems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I got Mario Kart 7 today for the 3DS and am having troubles with the controls. I find my hand cramp so quickly that even doing a single grand prix is agony. Is it possible to switch up button configurations? Holding 'A' to move, 'X' to use items and 'R' put my hand in the most uncomfortable of positions... I never had this problem with Mario Kart DS on the original DS phat.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Use L to use items. :)
champofcube15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 champofcube15
Member since 2004 • 1596 Posts
Yeah. Using L for items makes it a whole lot easier. I still wish there were some sort of ergonomic grips for the 3DS just for this game. As aggressive as I drive, my hands are tired after 2-3 races..
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
I play by using "L" for items, "Y" for gas, and "R" for drifting. It works a lot better I think, and it gives my hand more room instead of cramping up on the right side like your way does. (I used to do it that way too I admit for a bit before I swapped.)
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I play by using "L" for items, "Y" for gas, and "R" for drifting. It works a lot better I think, and it gives my hand more room instead of cramping up on the right side like your way does. (I used to do it that way too I admit for a bit before I swapped.) yoshi_64

Yeah, I started doing it your way and it's better, but still hurts my hand. Sometimes I wish my fingers weren't so darn long :P

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts

[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]I play by using "L" for items, "Y" for gas, and "R" for drifting. It works a lot better I think, and it gives my hand more room instead of cramping up on the right side like your way does. (I used to do it that way too I admit for a bit before I swapped.) Pikminmaniac

Yeah, I started doing it your way and it's better, but still hurts my hand. Sometimes I wish my fingers weren't so darn long :P

You might want to hold your 3DS differently. If you hold it more on the tips of your fingers rather than against your palms your fingers will be extended and your hands won't cramp as much.
videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts
Use L for items and you could use y for gas.....im sure you have already heard that though
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]I play by using "L" for items, "Y" for gas, and "R" for drifting. It works a lot better I think, and it gives my hand more room instead of cramping up on the right side like your way does. (I used to do it that way too I admit for a bit before I swapped.) Pikminmaniac

The should buttons do cramp up my hand if I "rest" my hand on them but am not pushing them down. Normally I just put my fingers a little behind the buttons, so it's not really touching them, and when I need to press the L/R buttons, I just slid it up, and it presses them. That helps for me, cause I too get cramped up from holding the 3DS with my fingers resting on the shoulder buttons.
rain_ishigawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rain_ishigawa
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

well you can always drive via the motion controls so you can free up one hand

terafumos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 terafumos
Member since 2004 • 405 Posts
The controls feel right. The only thing that messes with my hands is when I'm holding L down to keep a shell or whatever behind me for protection. Is there an alternative way to do that?
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#11 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

The controls feel right. The only thing that messes with my hands is when I'm holding L down to keep a shell or whatever behind me for protection. Is there an alternative way to do that?terafumos

I don't think so but I wish!

I had a lot of problems at first but I started using Y for gas and found I just naturally adjusted my hands over time w/o thinking about it.