Mario galaxy vs. Zelda twilight princess

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 0

#1 ct1257860
Member since 2006 • 4441 Posts

My choice would have to be twilight princess that game is just very, very fun. Here are my reasons...

1. Zelda is a much longer game even though mario is a 25 hour game in its self Zeldas average seems to be around 60.

2. More motion, you get to swing using the wii remote of the sword and using it as the wolf to bite

3. Creative story line, unlike Mario its very deep maybe too deep for me to understand lol.

4. Not repetitive because you get to switch back and fourth from Link and the wolf. Mario was really fun but i found myself getting bored a lot in it.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

These are two very different games. Mario I would have to say is a more fun game. You can pick it up and play, like all Mario games. It is challenging, but not hard. Levels have amazing detail.

Zelda was an awesome adventure game. But you have to be more patient. I have to play only a game like Zelda until I beat it. It has an awesome story, Great graphics, and it is tons of fun. But you can;t put it down for a week and play for an hour and not touch it again for a week.

Both of these games set the bar for the genre they in, but you cant compare them to each other. They are easily some of my fav games, but compare Mario to Nights, and Zelda to something like Prince of Persia...and they both come out on top(even though i loved the Prince of Persia series)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Zelda is a Gamecube game with tacked on waggle controls for the most part. Aiming is fun though.

Mario Galaxy is a Wii game that really does show what a platformer should be in this day and age with the sheer amount of diversity and extras.

It comes down to the same old thing since OOT. Mario is still the king of his genre while Zelda is just one of a number of good titles.

chelosera91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 chelosera91
Member since 2007 • 778 Posts
I thought the poll said "I have both" lol
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts
Very very tough question but I have to say Twilight Princess. Galaxy is one of the best games ever and surpassed myexpectations for sure, but I do wish that they had changed the formula. Having the hub world and the different areas that lead to worlds to collect some stars you have to play through several times is just not the way I'd prefer my Mario games. I'd rather it be like a Zelda or Ratchet and Clank. Zelda was so epic. Looked great, played great ("tacked on" Wii controls or not), felt so right. It took everything of the Zelda formula that I personally still love, and built upon it all and made it so much grander. I just prefer the wrld of Link and Hyrule and that style better than Mario. But hey...they're both 10s to me still!
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the most original games I have ever played in terms of gameplay concepts. Nintendo really outdid itself on that one. Having said that, I am a long-term Zelda fan, who fell in love with the series back in 1987 when I played the first game. The gameplay formula really showed me where games are going. And to me, Twilight Princess was such a full expression of that gameplay formula, that I have to give the win to that game on a personal level.

So I guess I have two answers: For originality, I gotta give it to Super Mario Galaxy. But for being such a full expression of a classic formula, I give it to Twilight Princess.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#7 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
Galaxy is better.....
elvato87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 elvato87
Member since 2003 • 540 Posts
i enjoyed both but i was more hooked to Twilight Princess
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
SMG is a much superior game. TP is alright, but was a letdown in a lot of ways. Nintendo should've stuck with the Windwaker visual presentation. It was so much more appealing and it looks better on HDTV's. TP just looks a tad bit muddy.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

SMG is a much superior game. TP is alright, but was a letdown in a lot of ways. Nintendo should've stuck with the Windwaker visual presentation. It was so much more appealing and it looks better on HDTV's. TP just looks a tad bit muddy.BioShockOwnz

Yeah I don't agree with that at all. Wind Waker was one of the more disappointing Zelda games for me. The visual style is nice and I certainly enjoyed Phantom Hourglass better, but I preferred that of Twilight Princess. It doesn't look bad at all on my 56 inch 1080p HDTV.

azorath44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 azorath44
Member since 2005 • 328 Posts
60 hours? did we play same game in less then half beat it with side quest
ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ct1257860

60 hours? did we play same game in less then half beat it with side questazorath44

?? in english?

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Zelda TP is my favorite Wii game so far.
ZidanneIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ZidanneIX
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

It all depends on the gamer and how they feel about each game.

I for one enjoy them both, but in different ways.

I like Super Mario Galaxy because of the gameplay.
I also enjoyed it because of the incredible graphics it had.
I mean it's not your typical 360 graphics, but for Wii, it was amazing.
It really reminded me of the good old days of playing Super Mario 64.
It's like it took that game and made it a thousand times better.
The Wii motion controls were also inputted very well.
You use the remote to collect star bits and to attack as well.
The story was not so great because it was very hard to follow.
But in the end, Mario games are not really for their story anyways.
It's all about the gameplay that make Mario games what they are today.

Now for Twilight Princess.

I enjoyed The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess for many reasons.
One reason is that the story was absolutely incredible!
Though some may not agree with me, I found it really enjoyable.
The graphics on the other hand, were really great for a Wii game.
But for a Nintendo Gamecube game, they were outstanding.
Everything was so detailed, crisp and clean.
The Nintendo Wii motion controls were also inputted very well.
You could use the Wii remote to shoot, swing your sword and so much more.
This was a great way to show to capabilities of the Nintendo Wii.
Overall, I really enjoyed this game because of it's storyline and gameplay.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
SMG > TP.

TP was probably the worst 3D zelda title to come out (imo). I loved it at first (as you can see from my review that i have yet to edit) -- but now that i think about it, it was nothing special, especially on the Wii. All i can say is Wind Waker was a much more enjoyable experience than Twilight was.

Wii Waggle = bad btw, and TP started this trend.
GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts
I'll take a Legend of Zelda game over Mario games any day.......the only exception would be a Smash Bros. game.
dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 dmil1991
Member since 2007 • 1016 Posts
I can't decide because they were both great. (and I've played through each twice!)
bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#18 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
For me, it's definitely Galaxy. TP is fun and all, but I thought the controls were poor and it just wasn't much of an exciting, innovative experience. That is to say, there was little in the form of game play to really set it apart from past Zelda titles. Mario Galaxy, on the other hand, was just so awesome...I got excited just playing it, and every moment spent playing was just fun.
TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts
Twilght princess is possibly my favorite game of all time. having said that i loved SMG; its just not as good
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
Zelda is way too long for me to play these days. I played like 2 hours and sent it back not because I didn't like it but because I just don't have time for 60 hour games and it will take me that long cause I suck at zelda games
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Zelda is amazing, but Galaxy is a bit better.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#22 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy it feels different to any Mario game and is fun yes its a little easy but it is incredibly easy to play.Zelda Twilight Princess is a good game also but Super Mario Galaxy is way better.
pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts

i enjoyed both but i was more hooked to Twilight Princesselvato87

Yea same here but I found Galaxy more fun in gameplay wise. Maybe that was cause I played the gamecube version. :shock:

trumpettruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trumpettruck
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

Mario Galaxy is a Wii game that really does show what a platformer should be in this day and age with the sheer amount of diversity and extras.

It comes down to the same old thing since OOT. Mario is still the king of his genre while Zelda is just one of a number of good titles.

Jaysonguy

i agree... except that can't mario be king of his genre... and link king of his?

it could happen...

yonaswii08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 yonaswii08
Member since 2007 • 796 Posts
u have to be kidding mario G and Zelda Tp no contest mario G is way better do not compare a wii game to a tacked on gamecube game!
ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ct1257860
Right now i just beat the part where you had to fight that annoying guy who keeps blowing that insrument and all those creatures attack you. It was annoying but im really still enjoying this game, all though i will take a break from it cuz i wll be getting the wii zapper, ssbb, house of the dead 2 and 3 for my birthday! BUT I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!
1wog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 1wog1
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts
I would have to say Zelda twilight princess, i just loved the story it was so interesting and fun. On the other hand Mario galaxy was fun at the start, but than it got quite repetitive, but both games are very awsome but i think Zelda got on top by alitlle.
Paleo_Orca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Paleo_Orca
Member since 2007 • 858 Posts

Galaxy

But only because I love Mario games more

Both titles are awesome

C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts
Zelda :TP seriously sucked big ones
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Galaxy kills TP.
Felmo_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Felmo_07
Member since 2007 • 283 Posts
Ive always been a fan of the zelda series so even though TP was a little dissapointing, and SMG was really awesome im still going to go with TP over SMG. TP has about 60 hours of playing time compared to the 30 that Galaxy had, as well as the fact that there is more to do in the zelda series as a whole
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a much longer experience, but to me, Super Mario Galaxy is just so much more impressive. I'll go with Galaxy.
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

Galaxy is amazing, and every level seems like something new. But, I eventually got bored with it and have yet to finish it.

I felt like the Zelda formula was getting noticeably repetitive in TP, but the dungeons were still great and because it has a strong story it still motivated me to play it to the end.

Neither one is my favorite game on the Wii (that would go to Pro Evo at the moment) but between the two I'd have to pick Zelda.

Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dion4ever
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts
It's hard to compare these 2 games. I haven't played Twilight Princess yet, but I have got Super Mario Galaxy and finished the story. Judging from what I've seen Super Mario Galaxy is way better, it's just so much fun and so creative. Zelda looks really good too, but it just doesn't have that same fun factor and nostalgic feeling Super Mario Gakaxy has. Zelda also does not have one of those moments where your on a high mountain or on high land where you just feel like your in a world full of peace, you just got to give a few Goomba's a spin!
tastycasey27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tastycasey27
Member since 2006 • 373 Posts
if i had to pick out of the 2 it would be mario galaxy, as i had more fun playing it and still do. plus it was made with the wii specs in mine, not like twilight princess witch was a gamecube game with wii controlles. but they wer both great games but mario just wins it in my mind.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Well, I haven't played SMG yet, the only game i have on my Wii is Brawl :P I loved Twilight Princess though.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy is the better game in my opinion. Twilight Princess is a good game, but it's too much like Ocarina of Time. Plus, the lenght of the game is too long, which made the game feel tedious when you were around 20 hours in. A Zelda game should not be over 30 hours long (that's just my opinion though -- I'm sure many people don't agree with me). There was also too little to do in Twilight Princess. Every character in Castle Town feels just like something that fill out the space, they don't have anything interesting to say...they just walk around. In Wind Waker, almost every character had a sidequest for you, and that made the people in the town feel more alivelike.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MaceKhan
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts
You shoudn't vote for one if you haven't played both.
Reggie31307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Reggie31307
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
Never played TP let alone any Zelda game, so I have to a bit bias and go with SMG. I grew up on Mario, and Galaxy definently is the best Mario game Ive ever played. Great Graphics, Fun Bosses/Levels, and the gravity/design changes just makes it fantastic. I do want to get TP one day, or rent it cuz it doesnt look have bad. Im just a lil worried I may not like it, having never played a Zelda title.
GuitarHero670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#42 GuitarHero670
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts
I'm a little thick so I have to say Mario Galaxy. Zelda isn't really accessable to the complete dumbo like me. Mario Galaxy was more welcoming to my puzzle devoid brain.
MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MaceKhan
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

@ BioShockOwns- The main problem I had with the WindWaker graphics was the fact that the characters were all out of proportion, for instance Links head was almost twice the size of his body, and his arms were longer than his legs(but other than that I liked the graphics), so yes I prefer TP graphics. But maybe they could do a combination of the graphics, TP for characters and items and such, and WW for the landscape or something of that nature.

@m0zart- Wind Waker was a great game worthy of the title Legend of Zelda.

@acsguitar- I can't respect not finishing a game, nothing against you, just don't like it when people start something and don't finish it.

@ presto7640- The Zelda formula is getting a little repetitive, that said I love the formula, the combat and the dungeons and the sidequests. I don't think I actually want them to CHANGE them formula, so much as REVISE and IMPROVE upon the formula.

@Dion4ever & Reggie 31307- All I can do is restate my earlier comment, if you have NOT played both, either DO NOT vote or vote for "Haven't played both yet" like I did.

@OniStrat- I thought about what you said and decided that I like Zelda long (and it only took me about 45-50 hours to beat TP with all the sidequests the 2nd time around), but I agree with you there needed to be more character involved sidequests like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. (hated having to restart everything every three days for LoZ:MM, but still thought it was great) They could make it so the main Quest only takes 20-30 hours if you skip most of the sidequests, but takes anywhere from 40-50 hours to play with all the sidequests, or they could make it so there is a first quest and second quest, and the second quest could have alot more sidequests and stuff that makes it longer, that might satisfy both the majority that likes Zelda to take a long time, and the minority that likes a quicker game.(I say the majority likes Zelda to take a long time because that is my assumption based on the comments I have read)

Alright almost done sorry this post is so long but I had alot to say. Did anybody else dislike the fact that you coudn't control your camera in Castle Town? I would have prefered to free roam a little while in the city. Use clawshots to climb on top of buildings and stuff like that, that's definintely something to think about, adding some freeroaming and platforming to the Zelda formula (just a thought). And my final point. I hated the magic armor sucking my precious Rupees, it should have just halfed your damage and not eaten your Rupees, instead of making you invincible and eating your Rupees (I know that alot of people are gonna say the game is so easy you don't need to take half damage, but to that I say, if that is your opinion then you don't need to Invincible, LOL:D) Again, sorry this was so long, thank you for reading.:)

EDIT I had an after thought, maybe someone (not me I'm not very Internet savvy) should start a forum where we can discuss some of our ideas about how we would like the next Zelda to be improved.

M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 M3tro1d
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts

I haven't played Galaxy yet (next week) but I've played all the Zelda games..

I found TP to be forggetable to be honest, I didn't enjoy playing as the wolf, level design was ok in places but the dungeons were not a patch on Zelda OOT, bosses were to easy, story line dragged and I found it had nothing to surprise me as it was so similar to Zelda OOT it felt like a expansion. Plus the controls were just wrong, leave it on gamecube where it belongs. I actually agree with Jeff's score of 8.8 it just wasn;t AAA to me. Games like Link to the past, Majora's mask,Ocarina of time are all better games.

I really don't like bashing Zelda games as they are one of my favourite series of all time, but I hope the next one is a lot better, feels fresh. It's time to change the formula Nintendo...reinvent Zelda.

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
I like them both. Why does one have to better than the other? They both offered amazing game experiences. And for people to comment on Zelda's "tacked on controls" sound like people just regurgitating something they read in a review online. Honestly, I didn't think Galaxy's motion controls added that much to the game in the core area. There were some neat parts, like the stars that you grabbed to pull mario toward them, but the core controls could have easily worked without motion. Shaking the wiimote to throw a fireball or spin is not intuitive by any means. It simply replaces a button press.
M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 M3tro1d
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts

I like them both. Why does one have to better than the other? They both offered amazing game experiences. And for people to comment on Zelda's "tacked on controls" sound like people just regurgitating something they read in a review online. Honestly, I didn't think Galaxy's motion controls added that much to the game in the core area. There were some neat parts, like the stars that you grabbed to pull mario toward them, but the core controls could have easily worked without motion. Shaking the wiimote to throw a fireball or spin is not intuitive by any means. It simply replaces a button press.TheLordMagnus

No it's not something people read in a review, the Wii controls were tacked on for TP, it was a Gamecube game up to the last minute.

nazkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nazkull
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Zelda TP was much better than Super Mario Galaxy. Even tho, I have enjoyed galaxy!
helius06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 helius06
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts
played both mario was great lots of details but zelda just made wii be more of a serious console