Mario Galaxy 2 Doesn't Win Gamespot's GOTY

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

As the title says Mario Galaxy 2 didn't make Gamespot's game of the year

I think this is the best indicator that Mario Galaxy 1 was the stronger title

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#2 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Mario Galaxy was an amazing new experinece but the sequel I felt was better but they are close.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Except for the fact that the Super Mario Galaxy 2 review says the complete opposite of what you're trying to conclude...? Or the fact that it's all opinionated to begin with?

gulfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gulfo
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

Except for the fact that the Super Mario Galaxy 2 review says the complete opposite of what you're trying to conclude...? Or the fact that it's all opinionated to begin with?

VGobbsesser

so much wisdom in these lines.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

Yes, I think anyone who glances by system wars here and there should know by now :P

I personally agree with their GOTY choice so I've no problem here but SMG2 is still Wii GOTY for me!

Lots of amazing games this year across all platforms, competition was stiff.

chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6281 Posts
It's pretty obvious that SMG winning GOTY affected SMG2. RDR was a fresh new experience while SMG2 was an upgrade of SMG
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I've always felt that the first was slightly superior. Had it not been for the rehash at the end and a few more Yoshi and suit segments, SMG2 would have been the better game in my eyes.
Nevlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nevlim
Member since 2007 • 5312 Posts

Jaysonguy

Yeah that OR they liked RDR better.

flyingtorso2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 flyingtorso2
Member since 2010 • 790 Posts

I've played both of these games and they were both brilliant, but I don't understand at all how gamespot would not put Galaxy 2 as their GOTY. They gave it a 10, meaning it is almost perfect in everyway the only 10 they gave this year. Gamespot doesn't go around throwing 10's everywhere like other sites do this 10 actually means something and I'm just surprised how they couldn't give it anything, but a GOTY.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I couldn't care less. All I know is that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game I may have ever played in my life and it eclipses the first game by a very wide margin. It's better designed, more creative, more original, has quicker tempo, better charm, more colourful imagery, and, most importantly of all, it was more fun.

WhenI played the first for the first timeI was never wowed or amazed, but i recognized that it was well made on all accounts except for the feeling that the designers held back and cut corners

When I played the second I found myself completely lost for words almost every single joy-filled moment of the game. I could not fathom how any human creature could create such brilliantly original level designs and worlds. Mario Galaxy 2 is a testament to the capabilityies of the human imagination. I've only had this sense of joy and wonderment twice before in gaming (the first time i ever played a video game and the first time I played a game in 3D)

In short... I win for getting to have the experience of playing Super Mario Galaxy 2; a memory I will keep until I die

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I'm going to leave you think about that one for second Jayson.
TheKI04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheKI04
Member since 2010 • 49 Posts

It's pretty obvious that SMG winning GOTY affected SMG2. RDR was a fresh new experience while SMG2 was an upgrade of SMGchansaet

And Red dead is just GTA5 in the desert with horses replacing cars. There was nothing fresh about it from a gameplay standpoint.

I'm just wondering why Kevin and Tom aren't in the GOTY video.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

To be fair, GS will look biased if they let SMG2 win

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
meh stuff gamespots GOTY award, galaxy 2 is pure awesomeness in carnate, nothing will change that
XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

I liked SMG2 more than the original, but I guess RDR deserved it.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="chansaet"]It's pretty obvious that SMG winning GOTY affected SMG2. RDR was a fresh new experience while SMG2 was an upgrade of SMGTheKI04

And Red dead is just GTA5 in the desert with horses replacing cars. There was nothing fresh about it from a gameplay standpoint.

But GTAIV didn't win GOTY, remember.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Straight from the Gamespot best of 2010 awards:

"Super Mario Galaxy 2 is even more varied, challenging, and fun than its superb predecessor"

I like to think you're just getting a bit slack with your arguments here rather than this just trolling.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

"Super Mario Galaxy 2 is even more varied, challenging, and fun than its superb predecessor"

I like to think you're just getting a bit slack with your arguments here rather than this just trolling.

_BlueDuck_

Oh, so you support my stance then?

See, nowhere there do the words "better" come up

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i'm willing to bet it's the whole "don't want to give the award to the same series twice in a gen" thing. the original SMG was NOT the superior title. definitely not.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

I don't know if that the best indicator, but you are damn right that Super Mario Galaxy 1 was all we needed.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Jaysonguy
Or Grand Theft Horse was just a better title than both Mario Galaxy games, including the 2nd
TheKI04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheKI04
Member since 2010 • 49 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKI04"]

[QUOTE="chansaet"]It's pretty obvious that SMG winning GOTY affected SMG2. RDR was a fresh new experience while SMG2 was an upgrade of SMGfunsohng

But GTAIV didn't win GOTY, remember.

My point is that it's as fresh or a rehash as Galaxy 2 I wasn't refering to the fact that it recieved goty 3 years ago, which shouldn't matter. Both Galaxy 2 and RDR are rehashes in certain aspects and unique in others, they should just admit that they don't care for gameplay anymore.

Tom reviews all the blockbuster Wii games and Kevin reviews big name games, why aren't they presenting the goty award along with the unkown guys?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

now you're just grasping at straws.
GAMBIT1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GAMBIT1551
Member since 2010 • 384 Posts

I couldn't care less. All I know is that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game I may have ever played in my life and it eclipses the first game by a very wide margin. It's better designed, more creative, more original, has quicker tempo, better charm, more colourful imagery, and, most importantly of all, it was more fun.

WhenI played the first for the first timeI was never wowed or amazed, but i recognized that it was well made on all accounts except for the feeling that the designers held back and cut corners

When I played the second I found myself completely lost for words almost every single joy-filled moment of the game. I could not fathom how any human creature could create such brilliantly original level designs and worlds. Mario Galaxy 2 is a testament to the capabilityies of the human imagination. I've only had this sense of joy and wonderment twice before in gaming (the first time i ever played a video game and the first time I played a game in 3D)

In short... I win for getting to have the experience of playing Super Mario Galaxy 2; a memory I will keep until I die

Pikminmaniac
quoted for emphasis. RDR is not that good imo. It's really GTA, with a few differences and in the west its not that special. But, I could care less what gets game of the year here, it doesn't really effect me :P
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

I am not surprised, and I had a bad feeling before I entered GameSpot.com that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will not win GOTY. Because of this, I realize that I should not care about critics giving out awards as they should not affect how we think of our favorite games.

And one thing regarding GameSpot's Best of 2010: it seems that not that much effect this year on giving the reasons why games won their respective categories. For example, the reason why Mario Galaxy 2 won "Best Wii Game" was provided by a single sentence. I expect GameSpot to give a detailed reason why it won more than a sentence, but was disappointed it did not.

GameSpot did cut corners in its Best of 2010 presentation.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I'm sure you're overjoyed Jayson.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I didn't expect it would, personally I would give it to ME2

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts
Didn't you just make a thread on SW that said that the 360 won a GOTY TC?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wiifan001
Didn't you just make a thread on SW that said that the 360 won a GOTY TC?super600
Yes and what's worse is he not only claimed that version as the superior version, but provided no facts or reasons other than "360 version is superior so 360 RDR won, congrats," in addition has to yet to make a counter argument against anyone so far I'm just going to pull a quote from that other thread that sums it all up quite nicely:

Just when I thought that I had already seen the most ridiculously fanboy ridden topic/post at one time in the past, you go and proceed to top that. Congrats.

mD-
And here I thought I was THE out of control fanboy
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

Jaysonguy

So they have to blatantly spell it out for their readers?

What do all those accolades and direct comparisons mean, that somehow by improving several aspects of the game they've made it worse?

wiifan001
What's great is someone posted a link showing they used the PS3's box art, and the TC hasn't returned to that thread since. :P

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
 That's just odd. Really odd. :|
PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

The Game of the Year doesn't automatically go to the highest-rated game of the year - that's not how it works. (Besides, that'd be really boring.)

I was hoping Galaxy 2 would win it, but eh, I'm totally fine that RDR won. I haven't played it - GTA-style games aren't my favorite - but it's apparently very well made, and even just watching footage it's easy to see how much Rockstar put into the game to make it a true open world experience in the Wild West. When it comes down to it there hasn't been another game in that setting that's done what Red Dead Redemption did (well besides Red Dead Revolver, but that was a way worse game apparently). So I can see GameSpot's reasoning, I guess.

Besides, given how many other awards RDR won, it was pretty obvious that GameSpot was in love with the game. I personally would've given best soundtrack to Galaxy 2, though; it's just stupendous.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21711 Posts

I stopped caring about Gamespot's GOTY when they gave it to GTA3 over Halo, and then Wind Waker over KOTOR. SMG2 is my favorite game of the gen whether it won or not.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

The highest rated game doesn't mean that a particular game wins. Last year, the ps3 game of the year for gamespot was Demon's Soul's. They gave Uncharted 2 a 9.5 and Demon's souls a 9. I know these are not a wii games I am just using them for an example. The PS3 version of red dead actually is better because of the exclusive DLC so Jayson is wrong about the 360 version. Other than the DLC, both versions run exactly the same. But, he is a fanboy and that is a fact, not slander. His blogs are proof of this.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wiifan001
[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"] That's just odd. Really odd. :|

Same thing happened last year. Uncharted 2: 9.5, Demon Souls: 9.0, yet Demon Souls won. Plus the last couple years from the Wii (No More Heroes and Dead Space Extraction) are solid evidence that the highest number does not determine what wins by default.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Nevlim

Yeah that OR they liked RDR better.

this.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
who cares what GS editors say they are not real gamers anyways but to be fair smg2 isn't goty but then again i am not a mario fan
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is my GOTY that what matters to me. What others think don't matter to me. What I saw about RCR is another GTA but in western style andI hate sandbox games.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I guess numbers don't mean anything anymore...
fred1712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 fred1712
Member since 2005 • 1220 Posts

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

Jaysonguy

You always need the last word, don't you?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Ew, SMG2 was much better then the first frankly.

jwhitmore12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jwhitmore12
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts
Why is everyone so surprised that it didn't get GOTY? I mean it wasn't leaps and bounds ahead of SMG... and a 10, like every other review score, is an OPINION.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts

Jaysonguy
How is Gamespot's opinion an indicator of anything other than Gamespot's opinion?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wiifan001
This topic is so bad that even Gabu, one who isn't even a big fan of smg2, would still put your username under the wall of shame...again, for this topic.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

No it doesn't it. One game was the best game on two systems so it should beat out the game that was the best on one system

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#50 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Actually, I think that SMG2 was a better overall game than SMG1, it just lacked the "WHOA!" factor of the original. It should have won GOTY, and that's based on Gamespot's own scoring system. I beleive it was the only one that had a perfect 10.