Madworld's Dark Secret Some Fans Are Afraid Will Get Out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#151 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Are you and Jaysonguy going to argue now with what the Publisher AND Developer say their own game is?!!?!clicketyclick

I'm going to say that not everything travels from the devs moth to the site's ears clearly.

The same way Metal Gear got a 0.0 here for half a day

Sombro89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Sombro89
Member since 2004 • 213 Posts

the legend of zelda contains puzzles.

therefore it is a puzzle game

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#153 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

Hes got a point -- and I don't care if it is a mini-game, game looks fun = I want, I don't care what genre you classify it as.Haziqonfire

I agree.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#154 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
At least Madworld is not trying to be Wario Ware. Mortal Kombat maybe...
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] Are you and Jaysonguy going to argue now with what the Publisher AND Developer say their own game is?!!?!Jaysonguy

I'm going to say that not everything travels from the devs moth to the site's ears clearly.

LOL so now even the Developer's own site is to be ignored because you have the inside scoop?!?

We are supposed to take Jaysonguy's word over both the Publisher's and Developer's Official Sites and every single Game Journalism site!! :lol: Don't listen to the reporters who have talked to the developers and publishers!

Don't listen to the publishers or developers themselves even! Listen to Jaysonguy! He'll tell you what their game is ACTUALLY about and what they meant to emphasise in it!

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

why do you refer to it as a "dark secret"? being a minigame collection isn't the death of this game........ O_o

bah and by posting in your controversial topic I'm helping to raise your level status! all hail Jaysonguy!!!! LOVELOVELOVELOVE

Sombro89
Minigame collections have a bad connotation. He is calling it a minigame collection because he wants to insult the game. Just ignore it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] Are you and Jaysonguy going to argue now with what the Publisher AND Developer say their own game is?!!?!clicketyclick

LOL so now even the Developer's own site is to be ignored because you have the inside scoop?!? We are supposed to take Jaysonguy's word over both the Publisher's and Developer's Official Sites and every single Game Journalism site!! :lol: Don't listen to the reporters who have talked to the developers and publishers! Don't listen to the publishers or developers themselves even! Listen to Jaysonguy! He'll tell you what their game is ACTUALLY about and what they meant to emphasise in it!

Click, you think the dev is updating the site?

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 clicketyclick
You're happy to quote from the developer's site when you think it'll boost your argument. You never considered the possibility that the people who run the site didn't get the info correct from the developer when you invoked their authority. ;) But now that the Dev and Pub sites don't support your idiosyncratic notions about Madworld, you dismiss them as unreliable!
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] Are you and Jaysonguy going to argue now with what the Publisher AND Developer say their own game is?!!?!Jaysonguy

IGN: MadWorld offers an entirely different gaming experience from Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Why was Wii chosen as MadWorld's platform? What made the console attractive?

Atsushi Inaba: Out of the current generation of game consoles, Wii has the greatest user base. It's only natural that we would want to provide content for the most numerous hardware. Also, Wii's unique interface can be a good match for action games depending on how it's used. When it comes to providing action games that are easy to play, Wii can be considered extremely good hardware. Lastly, the mix of content offered for this platform is unbalanced. We sensed there was an opportunity to offer an adult-oriented title with strong impact.

Straight from the producer's mouth. Can we end this thread now?

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#160 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Hermes"]But the information you are using to prove it's a mini-game collection is also from a site, do you see how you are destroying your own argument? The only way you can now prove to me and everyone else here that MadWorld is a Mini-game collection and not contradict yourself is if you find a video where one of the lead developers of the game say "MadWorld is a Mini-Game Collection."AlexSays
What he used is actually describing the game. Not only that, that's what they're advertising in that little picture, the mini games. I'll take a description over a one word classification. It's like NASA saying, "Yes this flies like a rocket and sounds like a rocket" and then on their website they label it an aircraft.

He is trying to prove to me that MadWorld is a mini-game collection in the same light as Raving Rabbids, WarioWare or Carnaval Games and he has failed. MadWorld bares only a fleeting resemblance to those games at best. It bares far MORE of a resemblence to God Hand, No More Heroes or even God of War so why not label it in the same genre we label those games instead of "Mini-Game Collection?"

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#161 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
[QUOTE="Sombro89"]

why do you refer to it as a "dark secret"? being a minigame collection isn't the death of this game........ O_o

bah and by posting in your controversial topic I'm helping to raise your level status! all hail Jaysonguy!!!! LOVELOVELOVELOVE

Rocky32189
He is calling it a minigame collection because he wants to insult the game. Just ignore it.

That doesn't make sense. He's actually looking forward to the game.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts
I'm reading through here and imo Jason and Alex are making the stronger argument!
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#163 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
I'm reading through here and imo Jason and Alex are making the stronger argument!kenakuma
That's what I'm feeling as well. But, then again, I don't really care about Madworld. I'm just here for the discussion. :P
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 clicketyclick
I'm reading through here and imo Jason and Alex are making the stronger argument!kenakuma
The Dev and Pub say it's in the Fighting genre... and why exactly do you think they are right that it is a Mini-Game Collection?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Jaysonguy

You're happy to quote from the developer's site when you think it'll boost your argument. You never considered the possibility that the people who run the site didn't get the info correct from the developer when you invoked their authority. ;) But now that the Dev and Pub sites don't support your idiosyncratic notions about Madworld, you dismiss them as unreliable!clicketyclick

No, if someone between the two of us looked I said I threw in the last pic just because I couldn't pass it up lol

You still didn't answer, does the dev update the site or not?

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]I'm reading through here and imo Jason and Alex are making the stronger argument!clicketyclick
The Dev and Pub say it's in the Fighting genre... and why exactly do you think they are right that it is a Mini-Game Collection?

Fighting game?

I just did a quick genre search on gamestop for fighting games on all platforms and the games listed under the fighting genre where Smash Bros, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Tekken, Soul Caliber, ect. Now do those game's gameplay resemble madworld's gameplay? no

Obviously the Dev and Pub had no idea what they were talking about when they labled it as a "fighting" game, lol.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts

He is trying to prove to me that MadWorld is a mini-game collection in the same light as Raving Rabbids, WarioWare or Carnival Games and he has failed. MadWorld bares only a fleeting resemblance to those games at best. It bares far MORE of a resemblence to God Hand, No Mores Heroes or even God of War so why not label it in the same genre we label those games instead of "Mini-Game Collection?"

Master_Hermes

There's a few of us seeing it in that light.

Each of those has a theme that ties the mini games together. With Carnival Games it's a carnival, with Mario Party it's a board game, with MadWorld it's killing people and things in unique ways.

It seems people here just like to concentrate on the killing things. lol

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]I'm reading through here and imo Jason and Alex are making the stronger argument!Dark_Link142
That's what I'm feeling as well. But, then again, I don't really care about Madworld. I'm just here for the discussion. :P

Same here :P

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="kenakuma"]I'm reading through here and imo Jason and Alex are making the stronger argument!kenakuma

Fighting game?

I just did a quick genre search on gamestop for fighting games on all platforms and the games listed under the fighting genre where Smash Bros, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Tekken, Soul Caliber, ect. Now do those game's gameplay resembly madworld's gameplay? no

Obviously the Dev and Pub had no idea what they were talking about when they labled it as a "fighting" game, lol.

... you're joking, right? Fighting games include Beat Em Ups like Double Dragon. Madworld is very much in that style. You conclude that the Developer and Publisher of Madworld have no idea what they're talking about because of a search you did on GameStop?? :?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#170 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] ... you're joking, right? Fighting games include Beat Em Ups like Double Dragon. Madworld is very much in that style. You conclude that the Developer and Publisher of Madworld have no idea what they're talking about because of a search you did on GameStop?? :?

Labels don't matter. I think both this thread and the other one that you made are pretty useless, because in the end, if its a beat em up, fighter, mini-game collection, adventure, action, etc -- it doesn't matter. at the end its the same game. at the end Wii owners get a quality title. Forget what genre it is, enjoy it for what its worth. Its the same reason I hate labeling music genres, I dont care what genre it is, if I enjoy it I'll be listening to it.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 kenakuma

... you're joking, right? Fighting games include Beat Em Ups like Double Dragon. Madworld is very much in that style. You conclude that the Developer and Publisher of Madworld have no idea what they're talking about because of a search you did on GameStop?? :?clicketyclick

Beat Em Ups are a seperate genre from fighters, also I meant gamespot not gamestop.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 clicketyclick
Labels don't matter. I think both this thread and the other one that you made are pretty useless, because in the end, if its a beat em up, fighter, mini-game collection, adventure, action, etc -- it doesn't matter.Haziqonfire
It matters in that labels have concepts associated with it. "Mini-Game Collection" indicates to most people that a game has heavy emphasis on mini-games and little else, if anything else. Saying that the game is this is not only misleading, but absolutely false. And it is dissuading people from getting it because they think the emphasis is in mini-games now.

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] ... you're joking, right? Fighting games include Beat Em Ups like Double Dragon. Madworld is very much in that style. You conclude that the Developer and Publisher of Madworld have no idea what they're talking about because of a search you did on GameStop?? :?kenakuma

Beat Em Ups are a seperate genre from fighters, also I meant gamespot not gamestop.

Well try this search. It's a little more thorough. Do you see any separate category on that search function for Beat Em Ups other than "Fighting" or "Action"? What category would Beat Em Ups fit into if not Fighting? Are you fighting in Beat Em Ups? Yes! And if you want to invoke GameSpot's authority, GameSpot categorises it as a Beat-Em-Up game.
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#173 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Hermes"]

He is trying to prove to me that MadWorld is a mini-game collection in the same light as Raving Rabbids, WarioWare or Carnival Games and he has failed. MadWorld bares only a fleeting resemblance to those games at best. It bares far MORE of a resemblence to God Hand, No Mores Heroes or even God of War so why not label it in the same genre we label those games instead of "Mini-Game Collection?"

AlexSays

There's a few of us seeing it in that light.

Each of those has a theme that ties the mini games together. With Carnival Games it's a carnival, with Mario Party it's a board game, with MadWorld it's killing people and things in unique ways.

It seems people here just like to concentrate on the killing things. lol

I wasn't talking about themes or killing, I was talking about the gameplay and scope. Carnival Games and WarioWare don't have 10-12 hours single player campaigns with stories written by the same man you penned Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII. I'm in no way saying this game is going to be literature but, if this is a mini-game collection, why would one of the greatest writers in the industry be involved and why in God's name is there a campaign complete with full levels and epic boss battles? Again, I'm not saying it doesn't have mini-games but when those games play a secondary role to simply to spice things up, I see no reason to suggest this game is more akin to Carnaval games rather than God Hand.

snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts
Madworld is most similar to games like God of War and No More Heroes and does not resemble anything like Rayman, Mario Party, Carnival Games, etc.
OG_GhostKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 OG_GhostKilla
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
You're wrong.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 kenakuma

Well try this search. It's a little more thorough. Do you see any separate category on that search function for Beat Em Ups other than "Fighting" or "Action"? What category would Beat Em Ups fit into if not Fighting? Are you fighting in Beat Em Ups? Yes! And if you want to invoke GameSpot's authority, GameSpot categorises it as a Beat-Em-Up game.clicketyclick

When it comes to arranging games by genre I'll take gamespot over metacritic anyday and gamepot lists it as a beat em up NOT a fighter!

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] Well try this search. It's a little more thorough. Do you see any separate category on that search function for Beat Em Ups other than "Fighting" or "Action"? What category would Beat Em Ups fit into if not Fighting? Are you fighting in Beat Em Ups? Yes! And if you want to invoke GameSpot's authority, GameSpot categorises it as a Beat-Em-Up game.kenakuma

When it comes to arranging games by genre I'll take gamespot over metacritic anyday and gamepot lists it as a beat em up NOT a fighter!

... okay whatever. So it's a Beat-Em-Up, not a mini-game collection. Are we cool now? The emphasis is on fighting (or "beating" if you prefer), not on mini-games. You get that the game is primarily focused on beating-em-up, and not mini-games, right? If everything's good now, will you please not let Jaysonguy's miscategorisation of it as a "mini-game collection" rather than the correct genre category, "beat-em-up", dissuade you from playing. :)
maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#178 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts
ok then...
Wiiownzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#180 Wiiownzzz
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

Actually now that I think of it how many mini games can you actually make with that game? I found this on PlatinumGames forums:

MadWorld

- Have been playing it at a fair pace
- Definitely longer than 3 hours - About 5 hours in so far
- Matt loving it
- Everyone in the office who sees it does a double take
- Artistic and way gory
- Game gets pretty tough
- There are some major boss fights in the game that are challenging
- Matt recently beat a boss with a sliver of life left
- Great beat-em-up
- Game of the year contender- Matt more excited about playing MadWorld than Resident Evil 5- Publishers are absolutely watching this game
- If the game bombs, gamers are in trouble
- Matt will hate you if you can afford to buy the game and you rent it instead
- A sequel is possible if it sells well - sequels not always possible, even if it does sell well

If you don't believe me then go to there forums. I got there by going to the Madworld website and then going to blog. Now why would this guy lie about that? I think this will be a No More Heroes type of game.It even says Beat-em-up on Gamespots description. So much for you minigame lovers.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I have mixed opinions, but I don't have time to be looking it up right now. :| I'll definitely wait after more videos of this game appear online after it's released before purchasing this game. I'm glad this forum has become such a mad world (lol get it!? huh? no...okay :P) other wise this potentially stellar game would have completely gone under my radar.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Remember when Metroid Prime first came out, and everyone argued about whether it was a first-person shooter or a first-person adventure game? This reminds me of that. Regardless of what he calls it, Jason is accuratlely describing the game from what I can tell. It consists of action segments and minigame segments, maybe even equally. Instead of arguing categorization, why don't we argue theimplications of this type of game?

Like I said in my first post in this thread, it's interesting that a developer is attempting a bloody action game that places a strong emphasis on one of the things that the Wii is most popular for - minigames. Will this facet of the game, along with the violence, help make it more appealing to the masses?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Jaysonguy

Will this facet of the game, along with the violence, help make it more appealing to the masses?

JordanElek

You have now given me inspiration for a new thread spaced sometime apart from this one

The brainstorm, I haz it

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 clicketyclick
Regardless of what he calls it, Jason is accuratlely describing the game from what I can tell. It consists of action segments and minigame segments, maybe even equally. JordanElek
Accurately? Equally? He said, "Others have said it's hack and slash WITH mini games, no it's not". He thinks the emphasis is entirely on mini-games, and compares it to Rayman Raving Rabbids, which is entirely mini-games. He says that the rest of the gameplay is merely "what links the mini games to each other" and just "is warming you up for the mini games". He's dismissing even the possibility that any other gameplay is at all as important as the mini-games. Meanwhile, the Dev and Pub say it's a Fighting/Action game and barely mention the mini-games on the minisite and in the ads. In fact, they don't even mention them at all on the product descriptions and in interviews. None of his "information" is actually based on anything. They're just bald statements posted as if it were information. This is all false information based on absolutely nothing and some of it completely contradicting what the Developer and Publisher have said. Yes it has mini-games. But it is absolutely not what Jaysonguy is making it out to be.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Will this facet of the game, along with the violence, help make it more appealing to the masses?

Jaysonguy

You have now given me inspiration for a new thread spaced sometime apart from this one

The brainstorm, I haz it

I HAZ it too?
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 JordanElek

Accurately? Equally? He said, "Others have said it's hack and slash WITH mini games, no it's not". He thinks the emphasis is entirely on mini-games, and compares it to Rayman Raving Rabbids, which is entirely mini-games.clicketyclick
He's exaggerating with some of the comparisons, like he usually does, but the base information seems right. His Mario Party comparison seems very apt here as an explanation of his viewpoint. But it doesn't matter if you want to say it's a minigame collection with hack and slash links or a hack and slash with minigame links. I personally think that people will see it as the latter, but it really makes no difference since that's still just a matter of categorization and changes NOTHING about the game, just like calling Metroid an FPA instead of an FPS changes nothing about the game. All it changes is the immediate expectations, but Jason provides adequate information (along with the info already available from hands-on impressions and videos) for the reader to make a good judgment if he actually takes the time to think about it.

The fact is that Madworld is not merely a minigame collection, nor is it merely a hack and slash. It incorporates elements of both and seems to do that pretty even-handedly. So even though Jason calls it a minigame collection, we can see from his own information that it's not JUST a minigame collection, and he even admits that, though he keeps pushing the label for shock value.

So again, how about this developer making a bloody action game with minigames? Have we ever seen something like it before? Will it increase its appeal?

snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 snover2009
What genre is Madworld mini-game collection20% [1]action game40% [2]beat'em up40% [2]survival horror0% [0]other, please specify your opinion0% [0]Total Votes: 5
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Jaysonguy

What genre is Madworld mini-game collection20% [1]action game40% [2]beat'em up40% [2]survival horror0% [0]other, please specify your opinion0% [0]Total Votes: 5snover2009

I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong :P

Awesome job chipping in though, the more the merrier

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 clicketyclick
He's exaggerating with some of the comparisons, like he usually does, but the base information seems right. His Mario Party comparison seems very apt here as an explanation of his viewpoint. But it doesn't matter if you want to say it's a minigame collection with hack and slash links or a hack and slash with minigame links. I personally think that people will see it as the latter, but it really makes no difference since that's still just a matter of categorization and changes NOTHING about the game, just like calling Metroid an FPA instead of an FPS changes nothing about the game. All it changes is the immediate expectations, but Jason provides adequate information (along with the info already available from hands-on impressions and videos) for the reader to make a good judgment if he actually takes the time to think about it.JordanElek
Adequate info? It's completely made up. He is stating as fact things that have no basis. He is providing misleading information and it already has misled a few people. Insisting that it's a Mini-Game Collection and downplaying the parts that aren't mini-games as merely connecting the mini-games together and training you to play the mini-games is extremely, highly misleading. Mario Party is a Party game, as Nintendo says. Mini-Game Collections are a type of Party game. It's a completely different thing and I'm certainly not the first in this thread to object to the comparison.
The fact is that Madworld is not merely a minigame collection, nor is it merely a hack and slash. It incorporates elements of both and seems to do that pretty even-handedly.JordanElek
I'm not sure about even-handedly (seeing as the dev and pub don't make much mention of the mini-games and as there are only about a max of 30 in the game), but even that's not a fact he's acknowledging. He's denying it emphatically and putting forward his denial as the Truth. That is false information. I'm not asking you to lock his thread. I'm just asking you not to further mislead people by claiming that what Jaysonguy has posted is as accurate description of the game.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
I'm not asking you to lock his thread. I'm just asking you not to further mislead people by claiming that what Jaysonguy has posted is as accurate description of the game.clicketyclick
He's not misleading anyone by disagreeing with your opinion.
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 snover2009

I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong :P

Awesome job chipping in though, the more the merrier

Jaysonguy

guess I know who voted

the results are in

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]I'm not asking you to lock his thread. I'm just asking you not to further mislead people by claiming that what Jaysonguy has posted is as accurate description of the game.AlexSays
He's not misleading anyone by disagreeing with your opinion.

It's baseless information being posted as truth. That is regardless of anything I think - it's even regardless of my existence. I could not even exist and he'd still be posting things as if they were information about the game but have absolutely no basis. That is a rumour. Rumours being stated as truth.
Arkk_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Arkk_Angel
Member since 2003 • 787 Posts

A very convicing post! Compliments.

But technically isn't every video game a mini-game collection or a mini-game itself? I don't think MadWorld having mini-games is a bad thing at all, but to compare it to Mario Party and such mini-game collections is a bit far. I have yet to play the game, so I'll judge at that time. I've played some GREAT games that contained mini-games, but weren't necessarily in the "mini-game collection genre." In the original Street Fighter 2 you had to destroy barrels, crates, tin barrels and a car. Mortal Kombat had the mini-game where you had to destroy concrete blocks. Final Fantasy 7 had it's own arcade of mini-games. Those three games I mentioned can't really fall in the same genre as Mario Party can they? Comparing MadWorld to Mario Party and the like is MADNESS I tell you!! Regardless of the style of gameplay, I think this game is going to be a treat.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#194 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
in essence, all video games are mini-game collections. take super mario Galaxy for instance, you complete goal after goal to achieve a larger goal to complete the game, varying in style and atmosphere throughout. its not really a big deal.
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 snover2009

doing it right this time

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26792160&tag=topics;title

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="Arkk_Angel"]A very convicing post! Compliments. But technically isn't every video game a mini-game collection or a mini-game itself? I don't think MadWorld having mini-games is a bad thing at all, but to compare it to Mario Party and such mini-game collections is a bit far. I have yet to play the game, so I'll judge at that time. I've played some GREAT games that contained mini-games, but weren't necessarily in the "mini-game collection genre." In the original Street Fighter 2 you had to destroy barrels, crates, tin barrels and a car. Mortal Kombat had the mini-game where you had to destroy concrete blocks. Final Fantasy 7 had it's own arcade of mini-games. Again, comparing MadWorld is Mario Party and the like is MADNESS I tell you!! Regardless of the style of gameplay, I think this game is going to be a treat.

You basically conducted a reductio ad absurdum. You reduced his argument, following its logic, to an absurd, unbelievable conclusion. This demonstrates the fallacy of his argument, and you did it masterfully. I think Socrates might have shed a manly tear at that. :P
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

jasonguy find me a single player game that doesn't have mini-games to break apart the long stories?

link fishes in zelda, he sails, he solves puzzles, he does farm work, he fights, he puts on masks.

mario collects coins, beats up baddies, races people, puts on special suits, sneaks bby enemies, fights bosses, jumps between tight hurdles on special stages

saying madworld is a mini-game collection is hyperbole, mario party doesn't deliver a story like madworld, or legend of zelda games do

developers use these mini-games like fishing, timed courses, and man-darts to break the monotony (spell) of the single player experience from what it would be if they didn't add that

like pick pocketing in assassin's creed.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 JordanElek

Insisting that it's a Mini-Game Collection and downplaying the parts that aren't mini-games as merely connecting the mini-games together and training you to play the mini-games is extremely, highly misleading.clicketyclick
And now you're exaggerating. What you just said is an accurate description of the game. It doesn't matter if Jason downplays the hack and slash parts or emphasizes the minigame parts. That's his interpretation of the factual info that he provides and we all have equal access to. We can all disagree with his interpretation if we want, but the base info (that Jason has provided) describes the game as having part action and part minigame. He interprets that info in a unique way, but it's obvious that it's just his interpretation. Even the "developer proof" is just his interpretation of what the developer says.

Now back to the important stuff.... I think that the design of the game will definitely bolster sales. The addition of minigames, as well as multiplayer support for those minigames, will greatly broaden the appeal of the game. This could be something that gamers too insecure to bust out Boom Blox with their friends might actually be proud of, and those friends who only like violent games (we all have them ;)) will also be willing to play it. Then some people who have written the Wii off as child's play can see that all this "waggle" can actually be fun if you give it the chance.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 clicketyclick

And now you're exaggerating. What you just said is an accurate description of the game.JordanElek

• "So let's say the game is 10 levels, that gives us 21-30 mini games. That's one of the most robust collections on the Wii"

It simply isn't. It's got among the fewest if not THE fewest of any "Mini-Game Collection".

• "Others have said it's hack and slash WITH mini games, no it's not"

He's denying that it's hack and slash with minigames. Basis?

• "The hack and slash is warming you up for the mini games"

Basis? How is this put forward as fact? Did the dev say it somewhere? The Dev barely mentions the mini-games at all.

• "It's the devs way of making a slick tutorial that gets people immersed in the game so when a mini game comes it's cake."

Basis? He's making groundless claims about the dev's intentions and stating them as absolute fact. Many other examples...

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 JordanElek

I already responded to those arguments. Those are Jason's interpretations. He says it has 10 levels with two or three minigames each. That's a fact. The following "most robust on the Wii" comment is his interpretation (and he already defended it, however weakly).

He says that it's not hack and slash with minigames, because it's minigames with hack and slash. Like I explained before, the factual information is that there are hack and slash elements and minigame elements, and his labeling it as primarily a minigame collection is his interpretation.

I don't think I need to go on. His basis for all of these claims is factual information that he provided, even if we think he's completely misinterpreting it. Like I've said repeatedly already... we're working with the same info that Jason provided. He came to one conclusion, and we're entirely free to come to another.

My conclusion is that this game is a unique take on the strong points of the Wii, and it would be much more interesting to talk about those things than about whether or not this game can be crammed into a genre or not. Somebody please bite. :(