Looking for a special kind of RPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tartardk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tartardk
Member since 2009 • 172 Posts

Hi i´m a big RPG fan and has played alot of diffrent rpgs but it´s like in every rpg there is a battle timer which i hate. Could you guys please name some RPGs without the stupid timer?

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

I have a thread about this very thing going called "RPGs for Noobs?" and there are a few suggestions there, check it out.

Dragard_Kaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#3 Dragard_Kaos
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts
Battle timer? What? Name the RPGs you've played so I can see what you mean...
Maledizione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Maledizione
Member since 2008 • 896 Posts

^What I was thinking. I've played quite a few RPGs and I've never seen anything like a battle timer.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ston3henge

Perhaps the poster is talking about real-time elements to battles, such as in "Final Fantasy VIII" where during your action selection, the enemies continue to attack if you take too long making your choices.

Right?

:?

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I haven't seen a game use the action-time battle sytem since the PS1 days. I mean, FF used to use it a lot, but that's about it really.
tartardk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tartardk
Member since 2009 • 172 Posts

Perhaps the poster is talking about real-time elements to battles, such as in "Final Fantasy VIII" where during your action selection, the enemies continue to attack if you take too long making your choices.

Right?

ston3henge

Yup precisely what i mean like in Chrono trigger!

world-ender-49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 343

#8 world-ender-49
Member since 2009 • 9302 Posts
Well the world ends with you and kindom Hearts are good action RPGs (no timer but no turns at all) Might and Magic Clash of Heros is a good puzzle RPG Devil Surivivor and Fire Emblem are good stratagy RPGs. And if your looking for good regular turn based RPGs you can try Pokemon, Either of the mario and luigi games (tough they have some action elements), Nostalgia, or FF 3. The only other game that comes o mind other than chrono trigger that is an avtive time RPG is Final Fantasy . Hope that helps.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ston3henge

Ooooooooh COITUS.... I just bought "Chrono Trigger" for my nephew yesterday on the suggestion of someone on these boards... I hope he can deal with the real-time stuff.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

Right?

tartardk

Yup precisely what i mean like in Chrono trigger!

you mean ATB (active time battle). is your DS a phat or a lite? then get golden sun and golden sun: the lost age. and then wait for golden sun DS, which should be out by the end of the year.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ston3henge

So I put in "Chrono Trigger" to see what it was all about before passing it on to my nephew, played about an hour of it, and have fallen in love with it! Might just have to finish it now...

:lol:

The reaction times can be slowed down to easy managing levels, the game just smokes... and I found it for $10us (no manual or original packaging, but oh well). A brilliant game, thanks to everyone who steered me that direction before the thread got locked, I really appreciate the help!

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#12 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

So I put in "Chrono Trigger" to see what it was all about before passing it on to my nephew, played about an hour of it, and have fallen in love with it! Might just have to finish it now...

The reaction times can be slowed down to easy managing levels, the game just smokes... and I found it for $10us (no manual or original packaging, but oh well). A brilliant game, thanks to everyone who steered me that direction before the thread got locked, I really appreciate the help!

ston3henge

Aye, glad you're liking it! Like I said in another thread, it's probably my second-favorite RPG on the DS, behind Bowser's Inside Story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
Member since 2009 • 9489 Posts
Maybe TWEWY?
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ston3henge

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

Luigi12901

Aye, glad you're liking it! Like I said in another thread, it's probably my second-favorite RPG on the DS, behind Bowser's Inside Story.

I couldn't put it down... and my roommate hasn't seen me with my face in a DS game in forever, so he was looking over my shoulder for a bit... I have officially returned to my DS in full force because of buying a gift...

But it really is a well-done RPG. And hey, if he gets stuck I will have answers for my nephew on how to get past something because I played it... so, I'm not really playing it for MYSELF, y'understand, it's all for the kid!!!

:D

Right? Finishing it isn't selfish...

While i was shopping for this game, I also saw "DragonQuest IV" and "DQ V" on the shelf... are those rare?

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
ATB. If you don't mind more of the hardcore RPG titles, I'd say look up some Atlus titles as Atlus tends to use turn-based combat rather than ATB or full realtime battle, which is what you are describing. Rondo of Swords is a good one as is Luminous Arc as is pretty much most of the Atlus titles depending on your taste for storyline and the like.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

ston3henge

I couldn't put it down... and my roommate hasn't seen me with my face in a DS game in forever, so he was looking over my shoulder for a bit... I have officially returned to my DS in full force because of buying a gift...

But it really is a well-done RPG. And hey, if he gets stuck I will have answers for my nephew on how to get past something because I played it... so, I'm not really playing it for MYSELF, y'understand, it's all for the kid!!!

While i was shopping for this game, I also saw "DragonQuest IV" and "DQ V" on the shelf... are those rare?

i kinda feel guilty because... well... i don't like chrono trigger. already tried to play at least 4 times, all of them i gave up at some point.
oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

BrunoBRS

i kinda feel guilty because... well... i don't like chrono trigger. already tried to play at least 4 times, all of them i gave up at some point.

yeah same, final fantasy IV is better in almost everyway IMO.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ston3henge

Why FFIV, specifically? What are the qualities which make it stand out, in your eyes?

oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

Just liked the story, setting and presentation in FFIV much better than in Chrono trigger. The graphics are much nicer, I mean if they can produce 3D graphics in final fantasy I don't see why they can't do it in Chrono trigger aswell. I found the graphics in chrono trigger to be dull most of the time. There was also a much greater variety of characters, moves and items in FFIV

Only thing I really preffered about Chrono trigger was that you could choose when to fight as opposed to FFIV where all the battles are random.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Luigi12901

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

ston3henge

I've heard that those two were supposed to have been discontinued, but I can't confirm that atm. Now what is rare (as in I've only seen it in store once ever), is Legacy of YS Books 1-2 for DS.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="ston3henge"]

oldmanriver1

i... don't like it either :| not a fan of the early final fantasy games, the only one that kep me playing for a decent time was FF VI, and i don't even remember why i stopped playing it...
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Luigi12901

[QUOTE="oldmanriver1"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i kinda feel guilty because... well... i don't like chrono trigger. already tried to play at least 4 times, all of them i gave up at some point.BrunoBRS

i... don't like it either :| not a fan of the early final fantasy games, the only one that kep me playing for a decent time was FF VI, and i don't even remember why i stopped playing it...

If it hadn't been named Final Fantasy, I doubt a lot of people would be saying how awesome it was/is. It's a good RPG, yes, but with all the more innovative RPGs already on the DS, the only thing that stood out to me was its name.

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

here are a few:

the world ends with you

pokemon platinum

mario and luigi: bowsers inside story.

and the upcoming:

pokemon heartgold

golden sun DS

hope that helped:D

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I thought you could turn that off in the menu? (I'm not sure, probably not lol)