Legend of Zelda news! Link moves like you move with M+

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Ok, so Gonintendo has been known to just publish anything from any shady source without fact-checking first, so I'm going to put the alert. This news originated from a newbie poster (it was their first post on the site) on a Zelda forum, claiming to have a summary of an interview with Aonuma from the January issue of The Official Nintendo Magazine UK. So this may be all a hoax. But since it's being widely reported, here we go:

• MotionPlus has been incorporated into the game, and Link is "already reproducing almost perfectly what you do with the remote and MotionPlus. Our team has already got a solid response from this aspect of the software."

• The structure of the game has been changed significantly from previous games, and Aonuma hopes that people will be surprised with the changes.

• The game has been well under development for some time now, and Aonuma is hopeful that they will be able to show something at E3 2010.

• MotionPlus was not even conceived when development started on the game, so they had to experiment with the idea of such inclusion part-way through development.

• Most bizzare of all, Aonuma mentions that a definite graphical style for the game has not yet been decided. Aonuma says that it's possible that they may even go for something completely new, but hints that it will likely be on the realism side of the spectrum (as opposed to cel-shading).

• Aonuma has been reading speculation on the internet and says that some of it is correct, but cannot elaborate on it until next year.

• Aonuma has been playing Monster Hunter Tri in order to see what aspects most appeal to the audience.

neildneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 neildneil
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

so excited. but it seems like a 2010 release might be a bit optimistic if they haven't even decided on the graphical style yet...

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
Aonuma has been playing Monster Hunter Tri in order to see what aspects most appeal to the audience.clicketyclick
good find, but what the HELL is this? you know what most appeals to me? the fact that it's a goddamn zelda game. the last thing we need is for zelda to change in a way that turns it into another game.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] Aonuma has been playing Monster Hunter Tri in order to see what aspects most appeal to the audience.garrett_duffman
good find, but what the HELL is this? you know what most appeals to me? the fact that it's a goddamn zelda game. the last thing we need is for zelda to change in a way that turns it into another game.

I think the hint is that there might be multiplayer. DUN DUN DUN...
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

And people complained their arms got tired from the waggle in TP. The complaints are gonna reach a whole new plateau with this :P

Sounds awesome though, thanks for posting.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

• The game has been well under development for some time now, and Aonuma is hopeful that they will be able to show something at E3 2010.

clicketyclick

So it's safe to say it's coming in 2011.

Great news.

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

And people complained their arms got tired from the waggle in TP. The complaints are gonna reach a whole new plateau with this :P

Shirokishi_

Obviously, this game is only for the hardest of the hardcore. If your arms can't stand it, then you clearly aren't cut out to be the savior of Hyrule.

@Clickety: Most of that has been known for a while. The part that did pique my interest was what they were doing with the graphical style. Personally, I would like to see Zelda Wii cel-shaded, sort of like what was done in Prince of Persia (2008).

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 garrett_duffman

Shirokishi_
... who's arms got tired playing Twilight princess? i played that game for over 10 hours straight once, and felt zero burn. if you cant lift a wii remote without getting tired then chances are you are the one who really NEEDS to feel the burn. the wii remote weighs what, like 3 pounds with the remote jacket?
everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

I'm all for change but Zelda is a single player experience. Handheld multiplayer is one thing but to bring it to a console game would be ridiculous and I believe would take away from the fundamental aspects of a game that never needed help until two events unfolded:

1. Developers starting with multiplayer, then building a story and game around that

2. The famous TP v. WW arguement.

My first game was The Legend of Zelda back when I was 5 and to think that they may destroy this game with too drastic of changes worries me and hurts a little. Call it over reacting but I've seen what developers can do with a great game (Mega Man) and they just throw it down the drain and never look back.

StripTheSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StripTheSoul
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

garrett_duffman

... who's arms got tired playing Twilight princess? i played that game for over 10 hours straight once, and felt zero burn. if you cant lift a wii remote without getting tired then chances are you are the one who really NEEDS to feel the burn. the wii remote weighs what, like 3 pounds with the remote jacket?

Not even. My arms only got tired during wii sports baseball, and that was from overzealous swinging.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

garrett_duffman

Not my complaint, its a common complaint I noticed in the web in early 07 and late 06. Yes, chances are the ones who complaned werent on the strong side.

I played for 16 hours straight and didnt feel a thing, half the time I didnt even realize I was moving my arm to slash.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

shoryuken_

Obviously, this game is only for the hardest of the hardcore. If your arms can't stand it, then you clearly aren't cut out to be the savior of Hyrule.

Or you could go to the gym.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 garrett_duffman

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

StripTheSoul

Not even. My arms only got tired during wii sports baseball, and that was from overzealous swinging.

agreed, wii baseball is the perfect reason to ADD weight to the wii remote
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
eh nothing really news worthy there and I'll believe this when I see it. But the funny thing about Monster Hunter is Twilight Princess did not do well in Japan but obviously excelled everywhere else. While Monster Hunter is the bee's knee's in Japan but nothing spectacular anywhere else. Not really sure what they could that since for the most part it only really appeals to Japanese audiences so far. I guess if what they say here is the case, they could just find a few elements to try and incorporate into Zelda Wii. I doubt it would be multiplayer though, its not like every multiplayer game flies in Japan.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

Those statements are just conservative enough to be believable.

But if it is true that Mo+ wasn't added until half way through development, then the worst of my fears has come true. You see, I was pretty much hoping that this would be a game based almost completely around the idea of the Mo+, that there would be an entirely new way of interacting with the environment/monsters/puzzles because of it. But if it wasn't added in until half way, well, they won't have that foundation. It'll be just a neat gimmick, tacked on. Awesome sure, but game changing...probably not.

I guess I still have hope for it since they were using the regular old Wiimote to start with. If we're lucky, they had a lot of ideas that were just too big for the standard Wiimote and when Mo+ came along it fit right in to make their grand designs a reality. If we're unlucky, they started with the Wiimote, knew what they had, and didn't think any bigger than that. Mo+ controls might as well be tacked on waggle then. Precise waggle, no doubt, but still overall functionless.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I have a very strange feeling that this is going to be a First Person Swordfighting game maybe with online co-op or something based off that last part.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clicketyclick
eh nothing really news worthy there Sepewrath
The M+ stuff was news to me. It wasn't confirmed and now we know how it's going to be implemented. He's exactly copying your motions. This isn't going to even be like Twilight Princess 2.0 where it actually swings in the same direction you motion in with pre-determined attacks. link is apparently going to copy your movements... @Arc, well, it's halfway through the development SO FAR. That might turn out to be 1/4 way through the development in the long run.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Arc2012

The M+ stuff was news to me. It wasn't confirmed and now we know how it's going to be implemented. He's exactly copying your motions. This isn't going to even be like Twilight Princess 2.0 where it actually swings in the same direction you motion in with pre-determined attacks. link is apparently going to copy your movements... @Arc, well, it's halfway through the development SO FAR. That might turn out to be 1/4 way through the development in the long run.clicketyclick

Either way, its well beyond the stage where the big main ideas are thought of. You know, the revolutionary ones.

I know, I know, I've written lengthy papers before, I understand that ideas and concepts are organic, growing and changing shape around new ideas as they arise, and the new ideas give rise to newer ideas, and those change the old ideas again, and then you never really feel like you're done with the paper even though its the night before its due and you still had a lot of other stuff you wanted to get to, but now your just going to have to almost randomly cut it off which makes your conclusion sound abrubt and awkward, and you get a B on it because you couldn't just focus. (end ramble)

Eh...where was I going with that again? Oh yeah! But the point is you never change topics. You picked that sucker out in the first week and if you go back now you might be even worse off in the end with a lot more work.

Also, will this mean that Link is officially a Righty?

Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts
Well it was kinda obvious link would copy your exact movements, otherwise it wouldn't work well or look realistic.
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shoryuken_

I wish they would let you decide which hand you want to put a certain item on. I don't like doing the motion control stuff with my right hand.

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts

so excited. but it seems like a 2010 release might be a bit optimistic if they haven't even decided on the graphical style yet...

neildneil
This is pretty much what I was going to say. That said the graphics could still be mostly finished - it could just be a matter of what the final coat of paint looks like.
suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 suntaice
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts

If they are using ideas from Monster Hunter, that means that there may be heaps of armour and weapon customization!

greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts
and there are going to be huge monsters, and boss fights reminiscent of fighting Rathalos....
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
except for the "monster hunter" part, it's all stuff that i already expected. even the MH3 news isn't as shocking, since they've publicly claimed that they're working hard to make the game look at least as good as MH3. and i think he might be referring to "tons of side quests that unlock new equipment", rather than a multiplayer with tons of links running around.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

awssk8er716

So it's safe to say it's coming in 2011.

Great news.

not really... but chances are bigger, since they're hopeful that they'll be able to show it, and not certain. they've been announcing stuff on E3 and releasing on the same year. animal crossing, NSMBWii (god that's a long name...), etc.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34749 Posts

Hope I'm not the only one who hopes for cel shading. The hardware of the Wii would could make a cel-shaded game look incredible, but you can't go that far on the Wii with realistic visuals. I want my Zelda as pretty as possible. :)

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

• Aonuma has been playing Monster Hunter Tri in order to see what aspects most appeal to the audience.

clicketyclick

:o No!! They better not copy Monster Hunter's grinding elements and tedious difficulty. The PSP game was NOT fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

shoryuken_

@Clickety: Most of that has been known for a while. The part that did pique my interest was what they were doing with the graphical style. Personally, I would like to see Zelda Wii cel-shaded, sort of like what was done in Prince of Persia (2008).

This is what I want, with adult link

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

canadianloonie

:o No!! They better not copy Monster Hunter's grinding elements and tedious difficulty. The PSP game was NOT fun.

why is everyone assuming that "aonuma is playing MH3 to see what aspects most appeal to the audience" means "the new zelda will be a monster hunter ripoff"?
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I wish they would let you decide which hand you want to put a certain item on. I don't like doing the motion control stuff with my right hand.

shoryuken_

Same here I am Right handed but I always prefered to use my Left hand for sword fighting and other stuff.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="shoryuken_"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Same here I am Right handed but I always prefered to use my Left hand for sword fighting and other stuff.

that's weird... i'd rather use the right hand for the motion (even though i'm a lefty) just because that way the nunchuck stays on the "correct hand" (aka left hand, the one you use to move characters around since 1970)
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

The Monster Hunter statement should not be read into too much.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

thedude-

I know Iwata said the Zelda team were impressed by Monster Hunter Tris (I can not use apostrophes on this computer) graphics and would try to beat that game.

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shoryuken_

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

BrunoBRS

that's weird... i'd rather use the right hand for the motion (even though i'm a lefty) just because that way the nunchuck stays on the "correct hand" (aka left hand, the one you use to move characters around since 1970)

I'm ambidextrous..but it's weird using the motion controls with my right hand only. At the same time, when I switch hands, its hard to get used to the analog stick being on the right side, because that goes against a habit of playing with the analog/D-pad on the right side for my entire life.

That being said, Nintendo always goes on about how they want to include everybody in their games. Everybody does not mean primarily righties. Therefore, I think Nintendo should include the option to switch hands in their games that heavily utilize motion control.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

shoryuken_

I'm ambidextrous..but it's weird using the motion controls with my right hand only. At the same time, when I switch hands, its hard to get used to the analog stick being on the right side, because that goes against a habit of playing with the analog/D-pad on the right side for my entire life.

That being said, Nintendo always goes on about how they want to include everybody in their games. Everybody does not mean primarily righties. Therefore, I think Nintendo should include the option to switch hands in their games that heavily utilize motion control.

i was just pointing out how awkward it is to hold the nunchuck with the right hand :P yea, i would like to see a "switch hands" option.
Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

[QUOTE="shoryuken_"]

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

ryangcnx-2

This is what I want, with adult link

I agree with the art style. TP was kinda ugly, so I would much rather have cel-shaded graphics but not in a cartoony style WW. I like Red Steel 2's art style so something similar to that would be great.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]eh nothing really news worthy there clicketyclick
The M+ stuff was news to me. It wasn't confirmed and now we know how it's going to be implemented. He's exactly copying your motions. This isn't going to even be like Twilight Princess 2.0 where it actually swings in the same direction you motion in with pre-determined attacks. link is apparently going to copy your movements...

I assumed from the moment they said WM+ that it would simply be you swing left he swings, you swing right, he swings right etc. I doubt they will make it so that you have to be a swordfighting expert to play. The most I think they will add is power swings and perhaps height/directional swings to hit weak spots similar to Zelda II. And Arc even if all this is true, and they did implement it halfway through, that likely wouldn't change its impact. You used writing a paper as a metaphor, well sometimes the big idea doesn't come until the middle and you go back to beginning. But its not a big deal because the groundwork for what you had done up to that point is in place, all you have to do is incorporate the big idea and see how it changes the overall vision from the beginning.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="thedude-"]

I know Iwata said the Zelda team were impressed by Monster Hunter Tris (I can not use apostrophes on this computer) graphics and would try to beat that game.

A while back they said they have competition with Monster Hunter Tri's visual fidelity that compete's with LoZ.
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
Most bizzare of all, Aonuma mentions that a definite graphical style for the game has not yet been decided. Aonuma says that it's possible that they may even go for something completely new, but hints that it will likely be on the realism side of the spectrum (as opposed to cel-shading). THANK GOD! I hope they stick with the graphics on the realistic side. This is great news. Thanks for the post.
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

if this is true... this would prove my "Zelda is the prototype/alpha stages" theory correct. I'm still betting we see a trailer at E3.

FooFighter92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 FooFighter92
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts

This scares me a little, don't getg me wrong... I'm expectinng for some changes too, but I think I would be dissapointed if they changed it too drastically

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

I don't believe the article.

"Nintendo currently undecided on graphical style Zelda Wii"

E3 2008 mentions that Zelda Wii is being worked on...now I'm supposed to believe that a year and a half later they are still tossing ideas back and forth about where to begin?

Fail.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

E3 2008 mentions that Zelda Wii is being worked on...now I'm supposed to believe that a year and a half later they are still tossing ideas back and forth about where to begin?

Fail.

chefstubbies

I was waiting for someone else to notice this too lol

The Art Style guide (aka how the entire game will look; characters, landscapes,etc.) is determined/finished before any "in-game" work begins. You couldn't just have a team all start creating 3d characters/worlds and hope they look similar enough to "flow."

It is most likely fake, but it's still fun none-the-less

Vic-Ferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vic-Ferrari
Member since 2009 • 1637 Posts
I wasn't sure if I was going to get the new Zelda or not. But if it uses M+, that's good enough for me.
Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

Fail.

chefstubbies
The source does seem a little dubious, but I don't take Nintendo at their word when they say they're working on something. They said they were working on it in 2006, and all they've been able to show us is a poster and some M+ promises. With all the focus on Mario, it wouldn't surprise me if they were behind schedule on this one.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

Fail.

danger_ranger95

I was waiting for someone else to notice this too lol

The Art Style guide (aka how the entire game will look; characters, landscapes,etc.) is determined/finished before any "in-game" work begins. You couldn't just have a team all start creating 3d characters/worlds and hope they look similar enough to "flow."

It is most likely fake, but it's still fun none-the-less

spaceworld trailer followed by wind waker says hi. completely changing the visual styIe doesn't mean starting from ground zero. they just have to change the textures, the lighting and the models. they could do that in a couple months.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sepewrath
Mario and Zelda has two different teams, so them working on Mario games would have no effect on Zelda's schedule. And that Space World video was just a tech demo for the cube, it was never said to represent what the next Zelda would look like.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BrunoBRS
Mario and Zelda has two different teams, so them working on Mario games would have no effect on Zelda's schedule. And that Space World video was just a tech demo for the cube, it was never said to represent what the next Zelda would look like. Sepewrath
doesn't change the fact that a visual change could be done in a few months. and while they kept cel shading, the visual styIe in wind waker changed a lot since it's first announcement.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

This was really an interesting read.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Arc2012

And Arc even if all this is true, and they did implement it halfway through, that likely wouldn't change its impact. You used writing a paper as a metaphor, well sometimes the big idea doesn't come until the middle and you go back to beginning. But its not a big deal because the groundwork for what you had done up to that point is in place, all you have to do is incorporate the big idea and see how it changes the overall vision from the beginning. Sepewrath

It is my most supreme hope that you are correct. I'd love to see Mo+ done extremely well in this game.

This is just another one of those times that I'm going to have to trust Nintendo. And that doesn't always work so well.