PtothaWHAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PtothaWHAT
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

Ok, so my son just turned 2 so i decided to get him the 2DS model. I know he's a little young and i'm going to have to play with him until he learns. Glad they released a non folding model to prevent it getting cracked in half, but my first game system was a Nintendo Gameboy so i wanted my son to start on a Nintendo handheld as well. So my question is what are some good games for young kids? I haven't been up to date with Nintendo games in recent years. Educational games would be good to.

Also why is setting up Wi-Fi on this thing such a pain in the ass?

Thanks in advance.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

Age 2 is kind of young, I can't really think of any games that would work well for a kid that old. Maybe a New Super Mario Bros. 2 game but I feel like that'd be a little too difficult. Nintendogs+Cats might be a fun game for him as well.

Setting up wifi isn't hard. You can follow these instructions here.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

Will Brain Age help your toddler? There were so few of them educational video games today than it did when I was younger,I don't know why video games today were being too focused on the reality of things such as war,crime,etc. that's not good for someone as young as a 2 years old.

Also for the case of Animal Crossing,I have a feeling that Mr. Resetti can make your toddler all upset,so tell him a short biography of Resetti before he jumped for it

PtothaWHAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PtothaWHAT

Yea i knew he was young but he's doing better with it then i thought he would. Plus i've let him play on my Vita a few times.

I should note i got him the Bubble Guppies(he loves that show) and the Nintendogs game.

PtothaWHAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PtothaWHAT

@Smashbrossive50 said:

Will Brain Age help your toddler? There were so few of them educational video games today than it did when I was younger,I don't know why video games today were being too focused on the reality of things such as war,crime,etc. that's not good for someone as young as a 2 years old.

Yea i have no plans of getting him any shooting or violent games. Going for educational and games based on cartoons he likes.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

What I do believe in Nintendogs is that the cuteness of the dogs will make him think that he's ready to huddle with a real dog. Such a tough parenting you got to do to make a bright gamer's generation

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#7 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Would have suggested Animal Crossing or Brian Training (DS)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

pac man dimensions is fun

epic mickey power of illusion

disney magical world...its like animal crossing but with disney stuff.

steel diver is very simple and fun for a while

pokemon x/y is good too.

ObxChillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ObxChillin
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

Get some good easy/simple games that arent too complicated for him so he will enjoy playing, like a regular mario game maybe not the 3D but an old school one, and yeah pokemon wouldnt be bad either. When he hits about 6 or 7 you should see if he can bet Zelda OOT lol

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 AVIS93
Member since 2009 • 341 Posts

Nintendogs + Cats was the first thing that popped on my head. Animal Crossing New Leaf is another possible option, although I think it is a bit more of a deeper experience that a 2-year old could struggle with. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is another one, in case you want to give some early training on platforming goodness so your child can be a pro soon.

I haven't played the Lego games, but maybe those could be attractive to your child as well. Epic Mickey Power of Illusion could be a nice Disney themed game that isn't too complicated.

Have you thought on Yoshi's New Island? Yoshi's cuteness is a charm for anyone, especially a kid, and the game isn't too difficult.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I don't know why people are suggesting Animal Crossing, I think that would be far too difficult for a 2 year old. Same with Pokemon. There's too much text.

A 2 year old is difficult to buy for. Other than TV show tie in's, I'd consider a Lego game. A 2D Mario game is another option.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Mario and Nintendogs are easily the best options. If you want others ones I'd recommend looking at games based on cartoons he likes. Check out some screens or videos of them to get an idea.

PtothaWHAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PtothaWHAT

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm gonna start looking in to these games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#14 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Can't think of any game good for a two year old (unless this two year old is a prodigy with technology) but when he gets a few years older, I'd say stick with the classics. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon. All suitable for young kids.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I have a friend like you TC. He convinces himself he buys things for his kids, but it's really for him. I don't know your situation, but seeing a two year old as the reason to buy a 2DS seemed too young in my long experience having dealt/raised with toddlers and children. It's a great excuse if dealing with a wife, but honestly, you could have saved a lot of money if you sincerely bought a handheld 2DS for a just-turned-two year old. By the time he can appreciate it, it will be cheaper. Namely, waiting a few years for the child to appreciate the product and in that time the 2DS would have gone down in price as well as games.

I can't recommend any games for a just-turned-two year old, unfortunately. At that age and at 3 years old, you can give the tiny toddler a controller while you play and they think they are playing, or at least emulating your behavior.

I have bought games for kids, but the youngest was 4 and learning Mario Kart. You know, maybe look into Sesame Street and Numbers games if they make those for 2DS. I know they made those for PSOne and other older consoles.

Also, don't buy him Pokemon or Animal Crossing at that diaper ages, those games require a lot of reading, cognitive abilities including math skills...some of these recommendations for a 2 year old don't make sense.

I'm not convinced everyone above has bought games for toddlers and children, so be discerning with each post.

I would also recommend a Psyche 101 class or Psych 240 if you want to really know more about children and how they learn. It's really neat stuff.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

I typically try not to give people parenting advice, but congrats on ensuring your kid's going to have attention problems growing up. Screens -- and all that flashing light mumbo jumbo -- are horrendous for mental development. Two year old's should be exploring their imaginations and the stimuli in their natural environment. Get that thing away from him, dude...

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I have a friend like you TC. He convinces himself he buys things for his kids, but it's really for him. I don't know your situation, but seeing a two year old as the reason to buy a 2DS seemed too young in my long experience having dealt/raised with toddlers and children. It's a great excuse if dealing with a wife, but honestly, you could have saved a lot of money if you sincerely bought a handheld 2DS for a just-turned-two year old. By the time he can appreciate it, it will be cheaper. Namely, waiting a few years for the child to appreciate the product and in that time the 2DS would have gone down in price as well as games.

I can't recommend any games for a just-turned-two year old, unfortunately. At that age and at 3 years old, you can give the tiny toddler a controller while you play and they think they are playing, or at least emulating your behavior.

I have bought games for kids, but the youngest was 4 and learning Mario Kart. You know, maybe look into Sesame Street and Numbers games if they make those for 2DS. I know they made those for PSOne and other older consoles.

Also, don't buy him Pokemon or Animal Crossing at that diaper ages, those games require a lot of reading, cognitive abilities including math skills...some of these recommendations for a 2 year old don't make sense.

I'm not convinced everyone above has bought games for toddlers and children, so be discerning with each post.

I would also recommend a Psyche 101 class or Psych 240 if you want to really know more about children and how they learn. It's really neat stuff.

So much this.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The best I can recommend for such a young age is Kirby's Adventure on the virtual console. I started my stepson off with Kirby: Return to Dreamland and Reader Rabbit(on a virtual machine) - he was four at the time. It's difficult for me to recommend much for a two year old. When my stepson was two, his grandmother tried to give him a leap pad, but it never held his attention very long. He was always more interested in his tinker toys and blocks, which I thought was more appropriate for him anyway.

@IMAHAPYHIPPO

I typically try not to give people parenting advice, but congrats on ensuring your kid's going to have attention problems growing up. Screens -- and all that flashing light mumbo jumbo -- are horrendous for mental development. Two year old's should be exploring their imaginations and the stimuli in their natural environment. Get that thing away from him, dude...

I agree with this. Screens should be used in moderation. I limit my stepson's time with games to an hour or two a day. He's better off spending time at the playground or building/drawing something.