Julian E of Factor 5 (Rogue Squadron Dev) says Wii developers are lazy so far

This topic is locked from further discussion.

solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#1 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
http://wii.ign.com/articles/762/762984p1.html

I really agree with this guy.  Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 were extremely good looking games both using shaders that most Wii games now don't even show, and Wii has a lot of potential that developers aren't getting to.  I'm also dissapointed that most Wii games don't support Dolby Pro Logic IIx like Rebel Strike did.  Dolby Pro Logic IIx can take stereo and Dolby Surround (sometimes called Dolby Stereo Surround) source material and up-convert it to 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 channel surround sound.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I mostly agree, but Rogue Squadron 3's on- foot missions appeared rushed or maybe the developers were lazy, so he doesn't have that much room to talk.
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts
hopefully F5 will make another game for Nintendo.
overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
I want F5 to port Rouge Squadron 1 to the VC shop channel so I can buy it.
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts
I want F5 to port Rouge Squadron 1 to the VC shop channel so I can buy it.overfeind
That would be pretty awesome. Be nice if they made a Rouge Squadron 4 as well...
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
Style is what matters to me not graphics. As long as textures are smooth and not blurry, it's all about style. It doesn't have to be completely original, but just fits the game and attracts you. Like Zelda: Twilight Princess, No More Heroes, or Super Mario Galaxy Or less noticeably Metroid Prime 3, Sonic, SSX: Blur, or Dewey's Adventure
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 bofe1234
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

I agree about the graphics and what he was talking about on that. But I strongly disagree on what he says in the rest of the article because he really doesn’t know what he’s talking about

First off he says everyone should own a ps3 and a Wii. wii60 ftw. He’s just saying that because he’s working on lair. But that really doesn’t matter

"Nintendo always had a challenge keeping third party content on their platform and keeping third parties happy." hmmm was it just me or did I see 7 UBI titles and huge support from EA and others.

"If Nintendo really manages to have a huge breakout thing and suddenly every second housewife is buying a Wii, then we're looking at a completely different scenario. But I don't know if that's going to happen." seriously this guy just needs to stop talking. Wtf is he talking about. Does he honestly think the only reason the Wii is selling is from the casual gamer? Probably around 80-90 % of people who bought the Wii are loyal "hardcore" followers. How does he think the 360 has sold so well? From housewives? Gamers know that Nintendo always produces quality first party titles that they can fall back on and always depend on. They really can say the same for Microsoft cusp they mainly rely on third party support that could jump ship at any time. But Microsoft is really smart though. The second halo succeeded they bought Bungie so no one else could. Now they have a successful franchise well forever.

"Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do" the Wii has been producing games on game cube dev kits for the time being. How are they supposed to show off what it really can do if they don’t even have the right devs? He seriously needs to get a reality check. In a couple of months when they finally max the Wii’s potential it will actually be really good. Games like SMG show the true potential of shader support, normal and bump mapping not to mention specular highlighting. Once devs take the time I’m positive games can come close to looking just as good as SMG if not better.

mistablair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 mistablair
Member since 2003 • 690 Posts

I agree about the graphics and what he was talking about on that. But I strongly disagree on what he says in the rest of the article because he really doesn’t know what he’s talking about

First off he says everyone should own a ps3 and a Wii. wii60 ftw. He’s just saying that because he’s working on lair. But that really doesn’t matter

"Nintendo always had a challenge keeping third party content on their platform and keeping third parties happy." hmmm was it just me or did I see 7 UBI titles and huge support from EA and others.

"If Nintendo really manages to have a huge breakout thing and suddenly every second housewife is buying a Wii, then we're looking at a completely different scenario. But I don't know if that's going to happen." seriously this guy just needs to stop talking. Wtf is he talking about. Does he honestly think the only reason the Wii is selling is from the casual gamer? Probably around 80-90 % of people who bought the Wii are loyal "hardcore" followers. How does he think the 360 has sold so well? From housewives? Gamers know that Nintendo always produces quality first party titles that they can fall back on and always depend on. They really can say the same for Microsoft cusp they mainly rely on third party support that could jump ship at any time. But Microsoft is really smart though. The second halo succeeded they bought Bungie so no one else could. Now they have a successful franchise well forever.

"Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do" the Wii has been producing games on game cube dev kits for the time being. How are they supposed to show off what it really can do if they don’t even have the right devs? He seriously needs to get a reality check. In a couple of months when they finally max the Wii’s potential it will actually be really good. Games like SMG show the true potential of shader support, normal and bump mapping not to mention specular highlighting. Once devs take the time I’m positive games can come close to looking just as good as SMG if not better.

bofe1234

I don't think he was critisizing the Wii, more pointing out the past. The Gamecube did have trouble with 3rd party support, and yet sold very well at the beginning, let's not get a head of ourselves. The point he's making about the graphics, is that Rogue Squadron was a gorgeous looking game, and yet years later some developers can't make their game look that good. It's not the Wii he's blamng. Lastly, casual gamers are good, the more systems sold the more games that will be developed. So if every other housewife wants to buy a Wii I'm all for it.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

bofe1234

Ummm the wii60 ftw isint fact its opinion. Just like how pswii is opinion and to be honest im for pswii not wii60 since I dont like 360.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I mostly agree, but Rogue Squadron 3's on- foot missions appeared rushed or maybe the developers were lazy, so he doesn't have that much room to talk.Travo_basic
It was meant to be simple pick up and play action.