Is this game really bad or just unappreciated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hun_ger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hun_ger
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts
So I just snag myself a copy of Metroid: Other M from Gamestop for 3.99. Always wanted to play this game because it looks like a throwback to the old 2D Metroids and it seems have more background story of Samus. But why is this game so low? It's a Nintendo game, and just came out almost 3 years ago and it's that low? Is it bad? Did it just not sold well or something? I am just wondering because for a Nintendo game and Metroid being one of their underrated series it is pretty darn low. On the side note can not wait to enjoy playing this game. (Hopefully)
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

a lot of people were upset that samus was so girl like and (vulnerable) scared...

also people said it was too short....and reviewers gave it bad scores...check the gamespot review.

people got really upset...

like megamn legends cancelled, new dante devil may cry and dlc already on disc sfxtekken upset. boycott level.

Poinciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Poinciana
Member since 2012 • 56 Posts
But why is this game so low? It's a Nintendo game, Hun_ger
No. This is not a Nintendo game. I forgot who developed it, but it wasn't Nintendo.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

It's not bad. It's just one of those games that have fallen victim to the expectations of most of the series' fans. That's not to say that Other M was a perfect Metroid experience. It was pretty straightforward and the whole interactive cutscene thing didn't really worked as well as planned, but it still has its moments of enjoyment. As far as the game's story and portrayal of Samus goes, that seems to be what rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I found no problems with the way the game showed a more sensitive side of Samus.

The wasn't a total flop, but yeah, it seems like there are quite a few places you can find the game for very cheap these days.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

Many Metroid aficionados (snobs) thought it was not a true metroid game. They also did not like the voice acting, the way Samus was not able to use her weapons, and 2d-3d perspective. 

I thought it was a decent game and found it fun and entertaining. The only parts I did not care for were when you had to look at specific places in 3d mode to continue. It is well worth $3.99.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

Funny you should metion that!  I just picked it up as well for $5, figured it would be good to passt he wiiU drought.  My initial reaction was that it's a pretty solid game it's definitely a throwback to the older metroid games. The initial drawbacks for me was a chatty overly sensetive Samus... and the way you unlock your weapons isn't conventional so that annoyed me a bit...

Those grievances aside, once I got into the game I found it to be a pretty solid title.  It really picks up once you start unlocking more of her arsenal.  Come back and let us know what you think!  Curious to see if you feel the same way.

On a sidenote I also picked up Kirby's Epic Yarn ... ugh...  -_____-

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

It was pretty straightforward and the whole interactive cutscene thing didn't really worked as well as planned, but it still has its moments of enjoyment.

Madmangamer364
Ohhhh man forgot about those damn interactive cutscenes... those were terrible thankfully there are only a handful of them.
Hun_ger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hun_ger
Gamespot gave it a 8.5 but I guess one way to find out. I will play it and beat it and give you guys my input! It was made from team ninja but it is a Nintendo game.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
great game. i got it for £20 a month after release. Heres to hoping for a sequel.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Depends on the standards.

It's a cool action game.  It's a terrible Metroid game.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
By Nintendo and the franchise's standards, it's not good.
Hun_ger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hun_ger
No one really answer my question on why the price is low. Hopefully one day I will understand the prices they give to games in this economy.
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Alot of people hated it. Theres alot that liked it though. I loved it. Though the Primes were better.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meetroid8

No one really answer my question on why the price is low. Hopefully one day I will understand the prices they give to games in this economy. Hun_ger
It isn't well liked, so the demand is low. Low demand=low price. Also, it's nearly four years old. 

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Other M is terrible. I really tried to like it. That was probably the only game I took to Gamestop and didn't care how much store credit they would give me for it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Because its not a first person pew pew game. Its ok game...there were some bad points, weird plot - hey go thru here..whilst your life drains away..then later ok you can now activate this so that your life doesn't drain away...wtf? section that doesn't do anything..just involving walking from point a -> b. Area/section not accessible after you've gone thru.

I actually would like to see another Other M with more polish, & please let the creator of Metroid take a back seat this time. His insistance of  Wiimote only control method & weird story plot was a poor choice.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

But why is this game so low? It's a Nintendo game, and just came out almost 3 years ago and it's that low? Is it bad? Did it just not sold well or something? I am just wondering because for a Nintendo game and Metroid being one of their underrated series it is pretty darn low.Hun_ger
It sold just over a million, less than half of what Metroid Prime sold and about half a million less than Metroid Prime 3.

The series has never been that popular, even though so many gamers consider Super Metroid and Metroid Prime to be two of the best games ever made. I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid Prime could've been found pretty cheap three years after its launch, too.

I loved Other M, though. It wasn't the type of game I was expecting, but it did a great job of being what it was trying to be. Don't expect old school Metroid or you'll be disappointed. Just focus on mastering the combat and you'll have a ton of fun.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#19 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Is it a good game? Yes. Was it worth $50? No, not with the way Samus's character was ruined and the game was only 12 hours long and the story was no good. At $30, I'd think it'd been worth it. $50 is too much
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="Hun_ger"]But why is this game so low? It's a Nintendo game, and just came out almost 3 years ago and it's that low? Is it bad? Did it just not sold well or something? I am just wondering because for a Nintendo game and Metroid being one of their underrated series it is pretty darn low.JordanElek

It sold just over a million, less than half of what Metroid Prime sold and about half a million less than Metroid Prime 3.

The series has never been that popular, even though so many gamers consider Super Metroid and Metroid Prime to be two of the best games ever made. I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid Prime could've been found pretty cheap three years after its launch, too.

I loved Other M, though. It wasn't the type of game I was expecting, but it did a great job of being what it was trying to be. Don't expect old school Metroid or you'll be disappointed. Just focus on mastering the combat and you'll have a ton of fun.

I still haven't played it yet. It's cheap on Amazon so I'll probably pick it up soon. I just wish it was at least comparable level wise with games like Super Metroid and Fusion. That would have added replay value.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JordanElek

I still haven't played it yet. It's cheap on Amazon so I'll probably pick it up soon. I just wish it was at least comparable level wise with games like Super Metroid and Fusion. That would have added replay value.FFCYAN
Yeah, the only replay value is in Hard mode, which eliminates all of the missile and health upgrades. In other Metroid games, that would take most of the fun out of the game, but the combat system in Other M makes limited health and ammo a really fun challenge.

Other than that, there's really no reason to play through the game more than once.... There aren't even any hidden areas on the map.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 meetroid8

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]I still haven't played it yet. It's cheap on Amazon so I'll probably pick it up soon. I just wish it was at least comparable level wise with games like Super Metroid and Fusion. That would have added replay value.JordanElek

Yeah, the only replay value is in Hard mode, which eliminates all of the missile and health upgrades. In other Metroid games, that would take most of the fun out of the game, but the combat system in Other M makes limited health and ammo a really fun challenge.

Other than that, there's really no reason to play through the game more than once.... There aren't even any hidden areas on the map.

Eh, limited runs was already a very common thing for Metroid games. I'd argue that it was less fun on Other M because it was forced instead of a choice. I would have preferred a more traditional hard difficulty.
Avatar image for Shattered-dream
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#23 Shattered-dream
Member since 2012 • 729 Posts

So I just snag myself a copy of Metroid: Other M from Gamestop for 3.99. Always wanted to play this game because it looks like a throwback to the old 2D Metroids and it seems have more background story of Samus. But why is this game so low? It's a Nintendo game, and just came out almost 3 years ago and it's that low? Is it bad? Did it just not sold well or something? I am just wondering because for a Nintendo game and Metroid being one of their underrated series it is pretty darn low. On the side note can not wait to enjoy playing this game. (Hopefully)Hun_ger

I never played it, but I heard it was bad! The game made samus look like a wimp and a girly girl. it did not fit the whole metroid series!

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I enjoyed it.  It's definitely not Metroid Prime quality, but for a few bucks it's definitely worth it.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JordanElek

Eh, limited runs was already a very common thing for Metroid games. I'd argue that it was less fun on Other M because it was forced instead of a choice. I would have preferred a more traditional hard difficulty. meetroid8
Yeah, I could see that. But if that had been the case, I wouldn't have replayed it because finding items in that game isn't really fun. That's my favorite part about other Metroid games, especially the 2D ones. I just want to see another game on par with Zero Mission in terms of secrets. That game was brilliantly designed and a ton of fun to 100%.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

A very solid game. I always thought Samus needed a voice. However this game did a terrible portrayal of that. This was far from what we expected Samus to be as a person. This could have been prevented with a better voice actor and less monologues. The logic behind not using her powerups is beyond ridiculous. I understand powerful missiles and powerbombs but why keep Samus from using her Varia/Gravity suit? (especially when she was told to activate her varia suit AFTER climbing a volcano) It would just make more sense to have another stupid reason to lose all the powerups again. The story, character development and some contexts were the only things that bothered me. The game is fun overall.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Madmangamer364

I never played it, but I heard it was bad! The game made samus look like a wimp and a girly girl. it did not fit the whole metroid series!

Shattered-dream

The game made Samus look human. An orphaned child that was raised by aliens and trained by soldiers overcoming the pains of a life that has been with her since birth... and as a female, no less. That's who Samus is, and this has been shown not only in Other M, but previous Metroid games, as well. It was no less fitting than a bounty hunter on assignment to eliminate all of an alien race eventually adopting an infant alien as one of her own, which then ends up risking its life to save her.

Not sure what convinced so many people to believe that Other M made Samus look weak, but that's not how I saw it at all. What would have been odd was to see a person go through so much and turn out to be a cold, heartless killer, posing as a heroine.

Avatar image for Shattered-dream
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#28 Shattered-dream
Member since 2012 • 729 Posts

The game was underrated in ways but Nintendo is to blame!

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JordanElek

Not sure what convinced so many people to believe that Other M made Samus look weak, but that's not how I saw it at all. Madmangamer364
It was the "I can't do anything without a man telling me to do it first" thing. That never struck me as sexist because she was acting as a soldier under her commander's orders, not as a servile woman under a controlling male. But I think the idea that Samus would hold back abilities when her life was in danger just because she hadn't been ordered to use them was a dumb enough story point that people read more into it than they needed to.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Madmangamer364

It was the "I can't do anything without a man telling me to do it first" thing. That never struck me as sexist because she was acting as a soldier under her commander's orders, not as a servile woman under a controlling male. But I think the idea that Samus would hold back abilities when her life was in danger just because she hadn't been ordered to use them was a dumb enough story point that people read more into it than they needed to.

JordanElek

Perhaps you're right. I was about to suggest that maybe there was actually some sort of physical restriction placed on her suit's abilities, but then I realize that she actually DOES activate an ability without Adam's approval during the game. So yeah, that's a very valid point in itself. Still, I find the reactions an over-dramatization to the kind of character Samus actually is and has been historically. Holding back when your life's on the line doesn't exactly seem like something a "weak" person would do, unless that person couldn't bring himself/herself to actually fight, for a very particular reason. I just think a lot of people were expecting a colder side of Samus that eventually never materialized.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#31 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It is not unappreciated, it is simply a game that causes a lot of polarizing reactions.

The general rule seems to be that, if you go into the game with a lot of expectations and unshakable concepts of what a Metroid game should be like, you will not enjoy it. If you go in without many established ideals, there is a good chance you will like it.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#32 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

By Nintendo and the franchise's standards, it's not good. meetroid8

Exactly. It would have been a pretty decent game with another name on it. Bearing the Metroid label, it's mostly terrible.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

The game is actually VERY good. The reason most people hate is because a few big named people said it sucked and then everyone jumped on the hating Other M bandwagon... 

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

It's definitely a great game. I enjoyed the story and I don't get what's with all the hate.

mark552495786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mark552495786
Member since 2013 • 69 Posts

by nintendo its not agood game 

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

a lot of people were upset that samus was so girl like and (vulnerable) scared...

KBFloYd

i just had to point out, i dont think thats the issue people had with her character in the game.

but that she, and everyone else actually, was a trashly written jrpg melodramatic sterotype.

im sure "Other M" Samus would give this post a thumbs down, but its true. the people were so stupid that i cant actually recall if the story itself was garbage (but based on how horrible the characters are i doubt it).

other than how HORRIBLE the characters were (every single one of em) the gameplay was great, maybe a lil metroid lite, but its still a great game.

my suggestion is skip all the cutscenes.

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

With Other M my likes are:

--The action

--Throwback to 2-d days fo Metroid

--Beautiful visuals

--Gameplay was solid (loved pulling off the evassive moves)

--Certain parts of the story (the bits on how Ridley returned, Mother Brain, certain aspects of Samus' origin)

Dislikes:

--Samus being commanded on when and where she can use her weapons/tools.  

--Samus having a mental breakdown

--Point at screen gimmick

I actually liked Other M overall.  My dislikes are about the same as everyone else's although I think others are a little less forgiving on the bad parts of the game.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Other M is a great game. It's not on Metroid Prime 1 or 2's level, or that of Super metroid's, but it is  still a very good game. It honestly baffles me there are people who complained about the controls. The only time I could see it ever being an issue was when switching from 2d mode to 3d mode and even then I rarely had issues with it. Outside of that the combat was enjoyable and the boss fights were great. My only real issues with Other M were the "pixel hunts" as they are called, and that a large amount of items couldn't be retrieved until the end of the game, after the credits rolled. The gameplay, overall, was great.

The story was disappointing and badly written and poorly told, though I would highly disagree that it was sexist or misognistic or whatever. Samus's portrayal wasn't perfect although I still feel that many of the complaints against it are way overblown.Â