Is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Remaster or a Remake?

MumblingMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MumblingMantis
Member since 2016 • 12 Posts

Is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Remaster or a Remake? This has been a popular debate ever since they announced it in November 2015. I am just going to get right to the point, the answer is simply, neither. Remaking the game would be building it from the ground up, I will give you an example. Final Fantasy VII is a full-fledged remake, everything is built from the ground up. The gameplay is even completely different. Point is, upgrading the resolution to 1080p and redoing some textures here and there is not worthy of the title, "remake." A remaster is defined "to enhance the quality of the sound or of the image…" Twilight Princess HD is HD (Video quality is 1080p), and they did upgrade some textures. Wind Waker HD was a remaster in the sense that it actually looks HD with fully upgraded textures and it actually looks like a game that would be on the Wii U. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD looks like it came out on the Wii. In other words, if Twilight Princess had originally come out on Wii U, it probably would have looked like it. Nintendo is taking the lazy route and taking advantage of the fact that they already had the game built. Twilight Princess HD is not a false name, the game is running in 1080p HD. I love Twilight Princess, it is probably in my top three games of all time, when the rumor of an HD remake came along, I got super excited about the idea. I will probably buy the game in the end. Let me know if you're going to buy the game.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

It's TP again in HD. Remaster is probably the better word for that. And no, I'm not buying the game again just to play it in HD. It's fucking full price. I find that to be a really stupid price for it, and I don't care about the graphics that much.

MumblingMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MumblingMantis

@Litchie: It falls under the remaster category more than the remake category, even though it is not a full remaster. I agree with you about it costing to much, $60 for a game that they didn't put barely any effort in to. You can get the game for $50 without the amiibo, even though that is still to much.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@Litchie said:

It's TP again in HD. Remaster is probably the better word for that. And no, I'm not buying the game again just to play it in HD. It's fucking full price. I find that to be a really stupid price for it, and I don't care about the graphics that much.

And that's exactly why I'm not excited for TP HD. If it were a remake, I'd be all over it. Hell, if it was released as a directors cut with all the content Nintendo originally had in mind but was cut in order to fit the game on a singular mini Gamecube disc, it would help pull the trigger for me going out and buying Wii U right now....

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm not paying $50-$60 for a remaster of a game I already bought years ago.

I never have and I never will.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I cant wait for it, their adding a bunch of extra cool stuff also.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#7 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

It's a remaster (they mainly using existing content and assets etc). They have added some new features, but these are like an overlay to the original game. ALl reports so far seem very positive.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's technically a remake, but of the most minimal kind, which makes it seem like a remaster. A remaster is taking old files, and redistributing (which may allow for minor improvements like increasing the resolution, surround sound, etc.). But because TP has the textures remade (as well as the lighting and some models improved), it's a remake no matter what way you slice it, since they literally remade some of the assets. Since the remade assets are quite minimal, it makes it seem like a remaster, but it's not.

Personally, I don't think I will buy the game again. I still have the Wii version, and it plays perfectly fine. The one big temptation is the Wolf Link amiibo, and an "excuse" to play it again.

MumblingMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MumblingMantis

@trugs26: Same, Wolf Link amiibo is the most tempting thing for me, especially since they said the data will crossover to Zelda Wii U.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Litchie said:

You too? I pre-ordered it and then the logical part of me woke up and cancelled it. Full price for a game from the last generation Nintendo console?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'll be buying the digital version. See the thing is that while the amiibo looks good, I just don't care for the wolf link amiibo. TP isn't a beloved familiar game for me either. I tried to find it in stores when it launched for GCN with no luck and by the time I finally got a Wii, I had no interest in the Wii version. This will be the first time I really get into TP. Since its pretty much a new game for me I have no problem paying full price. But since I'm not interested in the amiibo, I'll buy the digital version for $50.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Remaster & no won'tbe buying this one, rarely buy remaster game that I've already played & completed. :P

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

$59 for a HD remaster? Not a chance in Hell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@MirkoS77: Its $49.99, but yeah, probably still too much for yah.

TheNDefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheNDefender
Member since 2016 • 299 Posts

TPHD looks better than the original, it might not look like it at first, but it still works; I just hope the reviewers give good reviews for it. I preordered the game at Gamestop, and I'm getting the full package, so I'm set. Also, I got WW for Gamecube about a few months before its HD release, and I did not buy the HD version. However, I did play (basically beat) it at a relative's house. So if you have the original TP, then don't get it, but if you don't, I would give this version a try.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@mesome713 said:

I'd humor a physical release for $39 without the amiibo.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@mesome713 said:

Preorder it from Amazon. With Amazon Prime it's $48. Its a 8 dollar difference :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@MirkoS77 said:
@mesome713 said:

Thats a little too low for me, id be too scared it was just a cheap remaster at tat price.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Never had a Ninty console till this gen (too poor to afford one as a child, too childish meself to buy one during my teens) so I preordered this I want to enjoy as much as I can for all those missed years.

MumblingMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MumblingMantis

@Kruiz_Bathory: It is my favorite Zelda game, I really hope you enjoy it!

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@mumblingmantis: Thanks, I will!! I've been loving everything else so far! I do have a ds so I played spirit tracks on it, loved it so much! But gave it away to a girl...stupid teenager me.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Remaster/ port with a few new features. To me, a remake would be something like... well, REmake on the Gamecube, where they took the base game, completely redid EVERYTHING, and added in a ton of new content and rearranged the existing stuff. I can't think of very many true remakes in gaming, because mostly they're all just ports or, as the popular term is these days, "remasters."

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Just a remaster. And I'm not buying it.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coonana
Member since 2003 • 5909 Posts

Yup, just a remaster.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

Remaster/remake who cares, still buying it.

I don't get the big fuss against buying a game again for the chance to play it on new hardware with a modern controller. The benefits are pretty big for a measly $60.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Preorder it from Amazon. With Amazon Prime it's $48. Its a 8 dollar difference :D

Prime or even the Best Buy Gamers Club, the difference does not make this remaster worth the money.

What has been the last named retail release from Nintendo and when was it? Am I correct in thinking December in the release?