Is the DS falling?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ta11on
Member since 2007 • 784 Posts

I use to be a huge DS fanboy, and then around October all my cheeriness for DS went bye-bye. It just has nothing to keep me interested. I know there are still alot of good games comming, (like 10, maybe) and my most looked forward too is Kingdom Hearts, but that's really it. I havn't been on the DS forums in a while, do you guys think that the overall hype for anything DS has gone down? Like waaaaayy down?

WooT! Got an iPod Touch! Kicks the DS's a$$ any day!

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#2 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
does 1.25 million units in november look like ds is falling , ,
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
There have been a lot of people who have asked this very question. And the answer is always the same... NO.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I don't understand what you're trying to say. You admit that there are a lot of good games coming, yet you ask if the DS is falling?
Avatar image for CrazyKilljoy117
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 CrazyKilljoy117
Member since 2006 • 1073 Posts
On the contrary. Ds sales are still going strong everywhere! It's like a disease that you should have! As for me, I was all into pc and console games... their appeal toned down for me and now I'm addicted to handheld. I guess it's a nostalgic feel, seeing the graphics of ds and gba games. Simple, yet nice.
canary7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 canary7
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts
No. There's going to be several other great games besides Kingdom Hearts.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
So the basis for your argument is that because there's only a few games YOUR interested in coming, the DS is failing? Very broad assumption. If you wanted answers, why didn't you make a poll? Everyones going to disagree with you and if by Oct your cheeriness left because you played all what - 20 games out of 1000? Ok I'll be fair. 75% of it is shovelware and franchise games, but that leaves a whopping 250 worthy titles. Have you done your homework lately?
the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_wet_mop
Member since 2006 • 7518 Posts

if you mean in game quality? no.

if you mean sales? no.

if you think the ipod touch is a gaming system, i cant believe im arguing with you.

dr_doongy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 dr_doongy
Member since 2008 • 625 Posts

strangely enough, i understand what you're saying.

of course the DS isn't failing as far as numbers and sales go. that's not what the OP meant.

i had a similar fanboyish enthusiasm for the DS ever since its inception. constant news of quality games that were going to be released had me really anticipating tuesdays on a month to month basis.

i'm facing a similar dying interest in the DS. not that the DS has gotten any worse or anything like that. for me, it's that the sheer number of crap shovelware releases in ratio to the ones that i'm actually waiting for.. it's indescribable now. the title releases from 2007 were like.. 4-5 a week? if that.. now we got like 10-20 new games coming out every week, and 90% of them are just pure junk garbage. i dunno, that killed some of the appeal of the DS to me, since i make a valiant effort to collect. now, just trying to weed out the buy-worthy titles from the half-assed shelf-fillers is a headache in itself. the fact that there's a lack of quality control just destroyed all hopes of having a complete collection, since making it complete would require thousands of dollars wasted on garbage not worthy of my toilet.

i still love it, still waiting for the games of 2009. but yeah, it's slowly failing for me as well.

jus_blaze101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jus_blaze101
Member since 2007 • 41 Posts

DS falling? Obviously.

Only the DSi will take its place.

The ipod touch.....I mean, the thing has NO BUTTONS! (an esc button doesn't count). How do you call it a gaming platform when it has no buttons??? I listen to music with my touch, and playing games would leave no battery for music, hence rendering the ipod touch useless...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Well, the DSi is coming in and that could be the reason why of less games. They are making DSi games meant for the DSi, right?

I wouldn't say it's falling, but more like it's about to begin.

Also, just wait for E3 09 to announce more games ;)

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

strangely enough, i understand what you're saying.

of course the DS isn't failing as far as numbers and sales go. that's not what the OP meant.

i had a similar fanboyish enthusiasm for the DS ever since its inception. constant news of quality games that were going to be released had me really anticipating tuesdays on a month to month basis.

i'm facing a similar dying interest in the DS. not that the DS has gotten any worse or anything like that. for me, it's that the sheer number of crap shovelware releases in ratio to the ones that i'm actually waiting for.. it's indescribable now. the title releases from 2007 were like.. 4-5 a week? if that.. now we got like 10-20 new games coming out every week, and 90% of them are just pure junk garbage. i dunno, that killed some of the appeal of the DS to me, since i make a valiant effort to collect. now, just trying to weed out the buy-worthy titles from the half-assed shelf-fillers is a headache in itself. the fact that there's a lack of quality control just destroyed all hopes of having a complete collection, since making it complete would require thousands of dollars wasted on garbage not worthy of my toilet.

i still love it, still waiting for the games of 2009. but yeah, it's slowly failing for me as well.

dr_doongy

Everything your not waiting for isn't shovleware. Do more research and take more risk and you will find too many good games to buy them all. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a buy worthy title and a shelf filler but that is what sites like these are made for, for users can tell other users if certain games are buy worthy. Tip: all games rated under 8.5 aren't shelf fillers, most games rated 6 or higher are playable.

Fireflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fireflux
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

No, just no

Your comparing the DS with your iTouch?:shock:

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

:lol: @ iPod Touch games.

No, the DS is not dying. This year isn't as chock full of great looking titles as previous years, but it's still a good year.

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
definitely no
Nanu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Nanu-
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts

iPod Touch game defeating DS games? :D You are crazy.

And i dont think the DS is falling, is totally the opposite. ;)

kingJord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 kingJord
Member since 2003 • 75 Posts

Tip: all games rated under 8.5 aren't shelf fillers, most games rated 6 or higher are playable.

Burning-Sludge

Well, those of us with self-respect don't play things that are just "playable." With limited money and game time, I wouldn't touch anything less than an 8. Most of them are garbage, anyway.

The DS is not failing in any way. There are a lot of strong titles. A quick look at my collection - New Super Mario Bros, Tetris (w/ online ladder play!), Advance Wars Dual Strike, Age of Empires: Mythology, Puzzle Quest, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy XII RW. Each of those titles is SOLID. Lots and lots of entertainment, especially for a hand-held. I'm talking dozens of hours each. For Advance Wars, was probably thousands of hours!

kingJord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 kingJord
Member since 2003 • 75 Posts

Also, comparing DS to iPod Touch? Are you dumb? iPod touch costs more than 2x what the DS costs and is a completely different product. It can't touch the DS in terms of battery life, quality controled games, has no physical buttons ... I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong, but you're comparing apples and Mercedes Benz's.

dsmylover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 dsmylover
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts
right now ds's are hard to get since its after the holiday plus they got way more then 10 good games coming out plus the million good games they alrdy ahve out to play
calvinx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 calvinx6
Member since 2004 • 1788 Posts

LOL.

Joke Thread.

DS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anything with (i).

dr_doongy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dr_doongy
Member since 2008 • 625 Posts

Everything your not waiting for isn't shovleware. Do more research and take more risk and you will find too many good games to buy them all. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a buy worthy title and a shelf filler but that is what sites like these are made for, for users can tell other users if certain games are buy worthy. Tip: all games rated under 8.5 aren't shelf fillers, most games rated 6 or higher are playable.

Burning-Sludge

You didn't understand what I was saying. That's okay, I think I was being pretty vague in my answer anyway.

Even though my case is extreme, I was just trying to say that I understood what the OP was trying to say. The overall quality of the DS just seems to have dropped, with games being quite literally mass produced for the DS. The first two years of the DS saw about 250 titles available. The next two brought over 800 more.

I've been religiously buying games every Tuesday, until the fall of 2008, when that huge splurge of videogames just came pouring out from week to week. Trying to keep up became really tiring, but I kept at it until around October, when my wallet simply couldn't handle it anymore and I gave up. I held off on some games, unsure of whether or not some titles were buy-worthy, and in 3 months, I've built up the biggest backlog I've had since I've started collecting DS games.

btw: I know that games rated under 8.5 aren't shelf fillers. I have 228 DS games, and if you want to limit average rating to 85 or higher, metacritic has a whopping 26 games. Number 228 drops off at 69, and many of my games fall far below that.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Burning-Sludge

I have 228 DS games,

dr_doongy

Eek! That is way more than I have. I only have 65(which I thought was a lot of DS games).

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Burning-Sludge

LOL.

Joke Thread.

DS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anything with (i).

calvinx6

I can fully agree with that.

Ishboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ishboy12
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts

I too feel the same way as ta11on and dr_doongy. (One comment that is quite a collection you have there dr.) The last time I used my DS must have been at least 2 or 3 months ago. Not that I don't have any good games to play (I have plenty, but not 65 and definitely not 228 ), but I currently have nothing except for Mario and Luigi 3 to look forward to.

I know that some of us here currently can't relate to the feeling some of us have, but the next time you step into a Wal-Mart or Target, go to the DS section and look at the showcased releases. The last time I looked there were two rows of Imagine games and 3 with other junk I would never consider buying. Out of the shelf I found less than 5 games I would actually buy for their quality, but I already owned four of them.

I remember the times when looking at the Wal-Mart showcases was taunting, now I just see the two racks of Imagine and Petz games and walk away...

One thing I don't agree with however, the Ipod touch needs to have a significantly better library of games before it can compete with the DS or PSP in my opinion. :)

hardrocker2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardrocker2244
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts
I'm not a DS fanboy, and I don't play it all that much, but i seems to me that just as many good games are coming out for it now than ever.
dsmylover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 dsmylover
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts
[QUOTE="calvinx6"]

LOL.

Joke Thread.

Burning-Sludge

second that motion

Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

its weird i agree withe the poster but dont knw how to prove it lolz i need coffee

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts
no and the library has more games than ps1 and better graphics and sold more units than the first gb so its not failing
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
[QUOTE="Burning-Sludge"][QUOTE="calvinx6"]

LOL.

Joke Thread.

dsmylover

second that motion

better than DSi and Wii???