Is it possible to port Final Fantasy 7 to the DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts

Given the success of Final Fantasies 1-6 on the GBA and DS, could we see a port of Final Fantasy 7 on the DS anytime soon? I know the game took 3 CDs on the PSX, but what if you cut out all the FMV cutscenes and use static pictures and images instead? Would that, and compression make the game small enough to fit onto a DS cartridge? Resident Evil 2 took up 2 CDs (I think) and Capcom was able to cram all that stuff onto an N64 cart. Would it be too hard to do something similar for FFVII and the DS?

Sonarioink14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sonarioink14
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts
Hmmmmm. Tough question. I highly doubt it but like you said. Take out the FMV cutscenes and add pictures. You could barely squeeze it in there. They would also have to take some things out of the game to do that. But I wouldn't count on them actually making this sorta thing but good question though.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
3 discs. I don't know. Doesn't sound likely.
tenaciousdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tenaciousdan
Member since 2006 • 131 Posts

Well the third disk was quite short if i remember rightly, it was basically filled with FMV cutscenes. I have no idea whether something like this could be compressed but hell, it would be so awesome !

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts
They could do the graphics but they'll have to cut out all the movies, compressed the music, compressed all the background cgi. The only part that'll look as good are the battles.
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Since the DS speakers aren't as good as say, a home theater system, and the image is sized down to fit a tiny DS screen (vs a TV), most people probably won't care about compressed sound and images. :)
mamalaga12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mamalaga12
Member since 2006 • 2175 Posts
easly the ds carttriadge can hold alot of data, to make it work they'll proably use a 2gb cart and sell the game for a higher price like ff3
hckydude1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hckydude1103
Member since 2005 • 2230 Posts
or you know they could just use more then one ds cartridge they could b liked the ps1
TeZhI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TeZhI
Member since 2006 • 211 Posts

The problem with having many cartridges would be that the game saves are saved inside the cartridge instead of in a memory card like in the PSX. They could make 2 cartridges though, one for the DS slot and one for the GBA slot. They could also make memory cards for the GBA slot and put the game in DS cards.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LordAndrew
or you know they could just use more then one ds cartridge they could b liked the ps1hckydude1103
Can you do that with a DS game? The save file is on the card.
Avatar image for KevComesRipping
KevComesRipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 KevComesRipping
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts
Possible? Maybe.    Probable? Not likely, that game is huge and has ALOT of loyal fans, cutting out movies and hacking the sound would more than displease many.
jhonnyboi1134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jhonnyboi1134
Member since 2004 • 1263 Posts
if they ever announce a 1 gb cart then i think its easily possible...
Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts
I think it would be possible, but unlikely. The DS cart holds about a gig of data, so however much CDs hold times 3, and see which one is bigger. Although you'd have to take into account that compression techniques are much better than they used to be, but I wouldn't count on that.
zcds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 161

#14 zcds
Member since 2005 • 1984 Posts
it probley could be done, wil it be done? no
Me2NiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Me2NiK
Member since 2003 • 285 Posts
Contrary to peolpe saying "about a gig" and "2GB", the DS game card can store a MAXIMUM of one GigaBIT, which is 256MB. Each FFVII CD contains roughly 650MB of data. It could happen, but it probably wouldn't, and not because of the amount of compression it would require, but because FFVII was released on the playstation.
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
I wouldn't say no. Firstly becuase the cut scenes could be removed and replaced with still cartoon images. Secondly, that GBA port on the SubmitS could be used to expand on the DS cartridges memory. Thirdly texture detail and resolution will shrink, and fourthly the world map could be turned into a 2D image with 3D objects floating on it to represent villages or caves etc... However, I couldn't see the point in turning it into a DS game as i'm sure not everyone will be willing to by the same game again. That and people are still questioning whether or not it will be remade for the PS3. I'd just be happy with with a DS specific Final Fantasy series myself.
mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mthe1337one
Member since 2005 • 2539 Posts
ff7 is too big a game to fit onto a ds cartridge.  then again, ff3 seems to have done well on the system.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LordAndrew

Contrary to peolpe saying "about a gig" and "2GB", the DS game card can store a MAXIMUM of one GigaBIT, which is 256MB. Each FFVII CD contains roughly 650MB of data. It could happen, but it probably wouldn't, and not because of the amount of compression it would require, but because FFVII was released on the playstation.Me2NiK

That's irrelevant. It doesn't matter that it was released on the PlayStation. Square Enix controls their own choices, not Sony.

StillB0RED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StillB0RED
Member since 2006 • 383 Posts
No and that would probably be a bad idea anyway.
Drkr_Zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Drkr_Zen
Member since 2004 • 7330 Posts

It's most likely possible.

Even if they fit it to just 2 DS cards.. they could make a GBA cart memory card to keep save data in tact.

They did so on the N64, after all. The Rumble Pak slot was also a memory card slot.. so why can't the DS follow suit?

Also, the CG wasn't very detailed.. at least not as detailed as it was in FFIII, so the DS has proven that it can run graphics around the quality of the Playstation (Sega Saturn and N64 in some cases). It wouldn't be like it had to animate CG that was more detailed in VIII or highly detailed in IX.

It's just a bunch of polished, and not jaggy, midgets in the cutscenes for the most part, anyway.. lol.

At any rate, they could fit it.. although it'd be multiple discs, unlike N64 games going to DS with just one (like SM64, or Ocarina of Time would). But it's not like "OMG, multiple discs/cards is SO last gen!" ..a few PS2 games have done it, as well as some Cube games and, although it wasn't needed, a GB game (LoZ: Oracle of Seasons/Ages) and a GBA one (Golden Sun and GS:TLA) both have done it as well.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
As much as many people would like this to occur, it is highly unlikely. It terms of raw statistics, FF7 is the most successful Final Fantasy franchise SquareSoft (now Square-Enix) has achieved. To mess around too much with the original game would be a VERY risky marketing move. Not only that, but a lot would agree that if a port for the FF7 game would ever come out (again very unlikely in the first place), It would most likely be released on the PSP as the portable console of choice. The entire Final Fantasy 7 arc has always been revolving around Sony, to change that now would seem questionable.
darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darkshadow64
Member since 2004 • 6744 Posts
It's possible through multiple cartridges and a code-save system to transfer stats. Whether it'll be done is a question I cant answer.
Avatar image for _great_waddles_
_great_waddles_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _great_waddles_
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts

To put it simply, possible, yes. Probable, no.

Making a remake would end Square being able to cash in on it anymore. Simply because no one would buy the crappy spin off games, if they had a remake of it to play. The three disks back then could easily fit onto the DS, provided maybe a few things. The graphics couldnt make a jump, unless Square used a GBA attachment to render the graphics, or something. They would have to make the game onto higher memory cart, just to pack everything in. Of course, it is do-able.

Personally, I dont see the hype of FFVII. It wasnt that great to me. But maybe its like Pokemon GSC. To the fans, its the best game to most of them, and we cant really say why. Same goes for FFVII, I guess.

I wouldn't mind see it coming to the DS. I didnt find that game to be great, it was mediocre, at best, but its still Final Fantasy. Plus, it would pave the way for 8 and 9 on the DS, 9 being my favorite FF ever.

Xerlaoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xerlaoth
Member since 2005 • 1059 Posts
Contrary to peolpe saying "about a gig" and "2GB", the DS game card can store a MAXIMUM of one GigaBIT, which is 256MB. Each FFVII CD contains roughly 650MB of data. It could happen, but it probably wouldn't, and not because of the amount of compression it would require, but because FFVII was released on the playstation.Me2NiK
That is irrelevant, Square can put their games where they please.
Screamteam411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Screamteam411
Member since 2003 • 1087 Posts
Just like these guys were saying... despite the fact that FF7 came out on the PSX (and idk the rights issues there so i'm not gonna act like it's a barrier,) FF7 is like numerous times what they can fit onto a DS cartridge... They'd have to downgrade it to hell, basically the way they put 4 GameCube Double Dash courses onto MKDS.
bubs500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 bubs500
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
A gigabit is not 256 mb it's 1028 mb. so if a CD is 650 mb then they could fit about 1 and a half cds.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LordAndrew
[QUOTE="Me2NiK"]Contrary to peolpe saying "about a gig" and "2GB", the DS game card can store a MAXIMUM of one GigaBIT, which is 256MB. Each FFVII CD contains roughly 650MB of data. It could happen, but it probably wouldn't, and not because of the amount of compression it would require, but because FFVII was released on the playstation.bubs500
A gigabit is not 256 mb it's 1028 mb. so if a CD is 650 mb then they could fit about 1 and a half cds.

Bits and bytes are not the same. Therefore a gigabit is not the same as a gigabyte.
darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darkshadow64
Member since 2004 • 6744 Posts
[QUOTE="Me2NiK"]Contrary to peolpe saying "about a gig" and "2GB", the DS game card can store a MAXIMUM of one GigaBIT, which is 256MB. Each FFVII CD contains roughly 650MB of data. It could happen, but it probably wouldn't, and not because of the amount of compression it would require, but because FFVII was released on the playstation.bubs500

Nah he was right. There's a different between bits and bytes. GB- Gigabyte Gb-Gigabit MB- Megabyte Mb-Megabit etc.