Is a screen protector necessary?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
I got my DS Lite last week and while I haven't been very rough with it, I'm still worried about my bottom screen getting scratched. My friend has the original DS and after a lot of wear and tear his bottom screen looks pretty bad when there's no backlight shining through it. I was wondering if a Screen Protector is necessary and if so which brand is reccomended.
Radiohead85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Radiohead85
Member since 2003 • 3068 Posts

They're not necessary, but they're recommended. I had a day-1 DS Lite with a screen protector, and I never got a scratch on the protector or the screen.

I've just bought a new Cobalt Lite and I'm running without a screen protector at the moment. I'm a little worried, but as of a couple of weeks, I've seen no wear. If you're nice to your DS and make sure you keep the screen clean, you'll probably be fine.

If you do want to buy a screen protector, though, you simply must buy a Hori brand protector. They're absolutely crystal clear and they're the best you can possibly buy. They are about $7-$10 for the set, but I had the protector on my screen for 2 years and it never wore down.

randar23rhenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#3 randar23rhenn
Member since 2004 • 19628 Posts

just be careful with it

ive had my DS phat for like 2 years and there's only one scratch visible on the screen ONLY when it's turned off.

I_Object

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 I_Object
Member since 2008 • 85 Posts
Just buy a GOOD one. A friend of mine bought one. The glue got stuck all over the screen. So dont buy a cheap brand.
Skull338

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skull338
Member since 2006 • 477 Posts
If your worried about it, there is no harm buying a protector and having it on.
Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
No, it's not.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#7 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

No need. It will get some natural scratches because of the stylus but they won't be visible once you turn it on.

Yuppitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Yuppitt
Member since 2008 • 437 Posts

I have one on both screens and they work great :D

Just don't get a cheap kind, because the glue might stick.

I rarely use my bottom screen though, I like the buttons, it's a lot easier.

bashscrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bashscrazy
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts

Buy one if you want one... But the one I got stanked and I didn't like it. It was bigger than the touch screen and wasn't fully attached to the screen... so... parts of te proctector where something ( I can't eplain ) but I couln't use the touch screen properly... But that's probably because I'm a n00b.

Spade_Crisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Spade_Crisis
Member since 2007 • 809 Posts
If you are going to buy one, then go for the Hori brands. There available at Target. Don't get the Nintendo Brands. Those aren't as good...
Trindris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Trindris
Member since 2005 • 320 Posts

Eff screen protectors, never used one and I've never had any scratches, and I'm pretty rough with it too.

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
no way are they nessecary, i don't have one and mines just fine. there not worth however much they cost,
JXR29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JXR29
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think it's necessary because I made the mistake not geting some and touch screen can get a lot of scratches on it.
angelakoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 angelakoi
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

If you are going to buy one, then go for the Hori brands. There available at Target. Don't get the Nintendo Brands. Those aren't as good...Spade_Crisis

how much?

xDuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xDuke
Member since 2004 • 58 Posts
I think it's necessary, I was playing carelessly and suddenly a boulder slipped under my stylus and i scratched the bottom screen. Ever since then I use screen protectors...
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

I think it's necessary, I was playing carelessly and suddenly a boulder slipped under my stylus and i scratched the bottom screen. Ever since then I use screen protectors...xDuke

... that's got to be a joke. :P

Naw, don't get one. The screen protector makes the screen less sensitive and it's harder to register your motions (maybe that's why Yuppitt found it easier to use the buttons than the screen) as well as you may get bubbles of air in between the screen and the protector, making the display not as good.

If you use a laptop screen cleaning solution (NOT a glass cleaner!) with a soft cloth and rub it down, whatever minor scratches you acquire without a protector will seem to magically erase. So invest in cleaning solution rather than a protector. I've had my DS Lite for two years now and it looks great on or off. And I would toss the thing in my backpack, the poor thing.

xDuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xDuke
Member since 2004 • 58 Posts

Yeah, it wasn't a boulder... hehe

So, I think your points are correct and I agree. The screen protector can decrease sensitivity and not always is crystal clear. Mine for instance after 2 days get very scratched, but I think it is better than having your screen scratched

Spade_Crisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Spade_Crisis
Member since 2007 • 809 Posts

[QUOTE="Spade_Crisis"]If you are going to buy one, then go for the Hori brands. There available at Target. Don't get the Nintendo Brands. Those aren't as good...angelakoi

how much?

About $10 or so...

xlil-starx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 xlil-starx
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts
its up to u wether to het some or not..i havent used one in the year and a half iv had my DS and my screen is perfectly fine, no scratches or anything and iv played my DS loads..im careful with my things so i knew i wouldnt need any = ]
ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts
I would suggest getting one if you own DS games that have you constantly using the stylus (can't suggest any off the top of my head.)
SlorgieNel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 SlorgieNel
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts
I hate screen protectors. They're hard to put on and air-bubbly and half the time, they look worse than a DS with some scratches anyways. Heck, the first day I had my DS I put a biiig scratch on the bottom screen (thanks a lot, Pokemon Ranger >_>), and it doesn't bother me at all. Better than some peeling air-bubble-filled thin sheet of plastic, anyways.
lucifer3999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lucifer3999
Member since 2005 • 2319 Posts

I would suggest getting one if you own DS games that have you constantly using the stylus (can't suggest any off the top of my head.)ramboturd72

trauma center, zelda, ninja gaiden, TWEWY etc

WiiLover243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WiiLover243
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

no at least not for the bottom screen they have to be professionally removed. but maybe its a good idea for the top screen.

wii friend code:7514 0443 5844 2592