IGN review of Sonic Chronicles Dark Brotherhood...a 6.5 OUCH!!!

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

According to IGN...better luck next time.

a6.5/10

http://ds.ign.com/articles/913/913197p1.html

• Too clunky to be an entry-level RPG, and too simple to attract the hardcore. Fetch quests, repeating areas, and an uninspired battle system are just a few issues.
  • No voice acting.
  • The dialogue doesn't push the story at all, and it just takes too long for the story to get moving, having you repeat areas long after they wear out their welcome, and do fetch quest after fetch quest just to lengthen the experience.

Ironic...A slow-paced Sonic game.

Looks like Sonic belongs on a 2D playing field with lots of speed. Even RPGs hate him. But the game had a lot of potential. BioWare just didn't deliver.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Sigh... Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a 93% GameInformer gave it an 8.5 Nintendo Power gave it an 8 Eurogamer gave it a 7 IGN is not the final word. Learn it and stop overreacting.
ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ta11on
Member since 2007 • 784 Posts
I don't think the game is half-bad, actually I like it! I do think the need to chase down your enemys in mid-battle is an unecesary feature. What happens is anytime during combat a mini game will start, and your tapping your characters to jump and dodge obstacles. That's it.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 famicommander
GamePro: 4/5 N-Gamer: 7.9/10 GamesMaster: 80%
m1k3m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 m1k3m
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
IGN didn't like that game in their previews either. They're also in the minority. Most others have given this game around an 8.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Sigh... Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a 93% GameInformer gave it an 8.5 Nintendo Power gave it an 8 Eurogamer gave it a 7 IGN is not the final word. Learn it and stop overreacting.famicommander
GamePro: 4/5 N-Gamer: 7.9/10 GamesMaster: 80%famicommander
IGN didn't like that game in their previews either. They're also in the minority. Most others have given this game around an 8.m1k3m

QFT.

I'm getting this game, seems promising despite IGN being the outlier.

cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
Usually IGN seems to be pretty generous with games on Nintendo systems. Anyway, the average score seems to be an 8, which is good enough for me. ~ de arimasu :P
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Sigh... Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a 93% GameInformer gave it an 8.5 Nintendo Power gave it an 8 Eurogamer gave it a 7 IGN is not the final word. Learn it and stop overreacting.famicommander

It could also well be that those other publications are BioWare butt-kissers.

Just a thought.

Avatar image for TheDedMetalhead
TheDedMetalhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheDedMetalhead
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts

hmmmmmm...

Scores mean nothing to me. Especially after I tryed Alone in the Dark and loved it!

But I wasn't expecting much from this game. Sega's milked the Sonic name dry. -_-

dr_doongy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dr_doongy
Member since 2008 • 625 Posts

this just further proof that IGN has been, and will continue to be a GTA/Guitar Hero toting gaming site that constantly spews out useless biased reviewer/previewer information from their all-knowing editors about games that already have too much hype.

their obvious sidenoting of games that are much less publicized and on lesser platforms (handhelds especially) is one of the reasons i stopped going to their website. the reviews give off an air of halfhearted effort, as if they're eager to get back to their GTA, MGS, or whatever. It just seems like the after effects of these sorts of games leave a stale taste in the mouths of IGN reviewers to give fair reviews, almost as if they seem bored. but of course, they always give out the complimentary 7.5+ score to Square Enix published titles.

I've read enough disinterested reviews full of uesless history about the game's past, and not enough immersion in the game itself and what it has to offer from an objective standpoint to discredit IGN as a credible reviewing source.

I don't even know if half of that made any sense.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 famicommander

[QUOTE="famicommander"]Sigh... Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a 93% GameInformer gave it an 8.5 Nintendo Power gave it an 8 Eurogamer gave it a 7 IGN is not the final word. Learn it and stop overreacting.ASK_Story

It could also well be that those other publications are BioWare butt-kissers.

Just a thought.

Yes, everyone except the site supported by publisher ad money and Fox is biased. Brilliant.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 famicommander
CVG review:7.9
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

they didn't like it in the previews either so I thought it was to be expected.

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
IGN usually give high scores(Disgaea, FFTA2) but sometimes they tend to review like gamespot and constantly bash the game(Prof. Layton an 8.0 just because of the score cheat? wow!)
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WAIW

IGN is pretty usually give high scores most of the time(Disgaea, FFTA2) but sometimes they tend to review like gamespot and constantly bash the game(Prof. Layton an 8.0 just because of the score cheat? wow!)Arclight_Blue

Yea, Daemon loves SRPG's... A bit too much. FFTA2 was pretty mediocre in a lot of ways, so I'm not sure whether Disgaea will be a disappointment as well or not.

Shinobisoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 Shinobisoma
Member since 2005 • 936 Posts

I will still be getting it for my birthday on October 30th. It's just 1 bad review... so far.

Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts
alot of the time some reviewer sites give games a bad score for reasons other than the games. i dont trust alot of sites with reviews. i have the game reserved, and since it gets alot better scores from almost every other review so far, i think im gonna be happy when i get the game
Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
I've read enough positive reviews to discourage me from getting this. I'm still interested.
podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts
All Sonic games are trash now.
Scsrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Scsrhino
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
It's a Sonic game! I would not have expected more than a 7.5 and that is on a nice day..
WiiLover243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WiiLover243
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

DUH i knew it wasnt gunna be good

silentmage_245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silentmage_245
Member since 2008 • 378 Posts
Haha! If IGN gave it a 6.5, then Gamespot will give it 5.0 or worse! Hahaha.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 famicommander
It's a Sonic game! I would not have expected more than a 7.5 and that is on a nice day..Scsrhino
Sonic Rush? Sonic Rush Adventure?
Alexander146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Alexander146
Member since 2005 • 722 Posts

I could care LESS about IGN's score. Every other review site/magazine has rated it from good(7) to great(8).

One bad score is barely effective when a good number of other scores show it to be good.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 famicommander

I could care LESS about IGN's score. Every other review site/magazine has rated it from good(7) to great(8).

One bad score is barely effective when a good number of other scores show it to be good.

Alexander146
It's about time someone else thought about this reasonably. There have been 9 reviews, ranging from 65 to 93. Only one has been lower than 70, and the average is 80%.
jibbityhibbity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jibbityhibbity
Member since 2004 • 117 Posts

I think I might check this out since it still looks promising. As people have said, IGN is not the final word and just because their reviewers didn't like it doesn't mean you won't.

That said, I'd like to see Sega make use of WiiWare and take Sonic back to his roots. It was a working formula for the original games so I don't see why it couldn't work now. I've heard good things about Megaman 9. It'd also be easier for them to focus on gameplay and level design if they didn't have to worry about making insane visuals, and things would get done that much faster.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 famicommander
Haha! If IGN gave it a 6.5, then Gamespot will give it 5.0 or worse! Hahaha.silentmage_245
Sonic and the Secret Rings: Gamespot-7.6/10 IGN: 6.9/10 What was that?
xlil-starx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xlil-starx
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

Thats just one review out of many..i dont tend to go by the review scores on hardly any games as each person is different and if one person doesnt like it the next person might.. i think some games get extremely overrated in reviews.

I think this game is actually pretty good and im not really into these sort of games =]

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts

[QUOTE="Arclight_Blue"]IGN is pretty usually give high scores most of the time(Disgaea, FFTA2) but sometimes they tend to review like gamespot and constantly bash the game(Prof. Layton an 8.0 just because of the score cheat? wow!)WAIW

Yea, Daemon loves SRPG's... A bit too much. FFTA2 was pretty mediocre in a lot of ways, so I'm not sure whether Disgaea will be a disappointment as well or not.

I was really annoyed at the fact that the missions you finished kept coming back to the list

Im a huge fan of the first FFTA but now I just can even force myself to finish FFTA2

Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts

All Sonic games are trash now.podliver

take that back now!!!! well you don't have to buy not all sonic games are trash.

i for one will still play this

Amherst_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Amherst_Wind
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I'm actually quite enjoying it so far. I suggest you IGNore scores and play it!
mordekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mordekai
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Ah dammit, I'll be honest I was expecting a unanimous 8, 8.5 from BioWare considering the simple character(Sonic) and concept(runs fast, collects shet), that they'd somehow make a if not deep an enriching game, But sure-fire "hit"? Oh well, How bout that Fallout huh?....
GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 GANGSTASAN
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts
Meh... Never trusted Bioware from the start. Dont trust this review either
podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts

[QUOTE="podliver"]All Sonic games are trash now.Masterx1220

take that back now!!!! well you don't have to buy not all sonic games are trash.

Sorry, I meant the vast majority of Sonic games are trash now.

Elduque21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Elduque21
Member since 2006 • 985 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"]Sigh... Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a 93% GameInformer gave it an 8.5 Nintendo Power gave it an 8 Eurogamer gave it a 7 IGN is not the final word. Learn it and stop overreacting.WAIW

GamePro: 4/5 N-Gamer: 7.9/10 GamesMaster: 80%famicommander
IGN didn't like that game in their previews either. They're also in the minority. Most others have given this game around an 8.m1k3m

QFT.

I'm getting this game, seems promising despite IGN being the outlier.

How dare you use mathematics logically!

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
ign gave GT:on tour a 9/10 where everyone else gave it a 6-7/10
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

Haha nice one IGN, a boo hoo to SEGA and their proud trademark - Sonic The Hedgehog.They should realize that the popularity of Sonic is equivalent to the ol' Gamegear, which is LOW. I'm sick of games that are related to Sonic. Please get rid of this crap SEGA, please....

Alexander146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alexander146
Member since 2005 • 722 Posts

Haha nice one IGN, a boo hoo to SEGA and their proud trademark - Sonic The Hedgehog.They should realize that the popularity of Sonic is equivalent to the ol' Gamegear, which is LOW. I'm sick of games that are related to Sonic. Please get rid of this crap SEGA, please....

danny5329

You know, some people genuinly LIKED some of Sonic's past games. I myself have liked SA2B, Sonic Battle and Sonic Heroes.

Again, I have every intention to get this regardless of IGN. The majority say it's a good game, and besides, I'm liking what I see from it.

Mclovin02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mclovin02
Member since 2008 • 406 Posts
why hell does everyone think that a stupid fat guy sitting in front of a computer eating cheetos and chugging down a monster is right? Go rent the game then see if it really deserves that 6.5 or 8.0. Dont take someone elses opinion and decide its right try the game its probably good!
gameplaya123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gameplaya123
Member since 2006 • 2372 Posts
[QUOTE="Masterx1220"]

[QUOTE="podliver"]All Sonic games are trash now.podliver

even then, that is only an opinion ;)

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#41 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I look at the games average reviews and it has certainly got some fairly good scores from the likes of Games Master,Official Nintendo Magazine,Nintendo Power,Game Informer and Eurogamer.

FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

why hell does everyone think that a stupid fat guy sitting in front of a computer eating cheetos and chugging down a monster is right? Go rent the game then see if it really deserves that 6.5 or 8.0. Dont take someone elses opinion and decide its right try the game its probably good!Mclovin02

"Why's everything got to be fat with you?" :P

I take reviews into little consideration when it comes to purchasing my games. Probably about 10-20%. The other bit is a mixture of people who are not payed to play games, (such as people on here) and my own personal tastes and perhaps the risk factor. I thought the game looks interesting and since the game hasn't gotten flat out bad scores from all these reviewers, I don't think I'll drop from buying this game because one of them thinks its a bad seed. I'll be the judge to see if I like this game or not.

klidron02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 klidron02
Member since 2008 • 454 Posts

I'm actually quite enjoying it so far. I suggest you IGNore scores and play it!tway_ninja

Epic win. You, sir, made my day.

danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts
[QUOTE="podliver"][QUOTE="Masterx1220"]

[QUOTE="podliver"]All Sonic games are trash now.gameplaya123

even then, that is only an opinion ;)

And passively seeing it, it means someone enjoy playing with trash.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WAIW
[QUOTE="WAIW"]

[QUOTE="Arclight_Blue"]IGN is pretty usually give high scores most of the time(Disgaea, FFTA2) but sometimes they tend to review like gamespot and constantly bash the game(Prof. Layton an 8.0 just because of the score cheat? wow!)Arclight_Blue

I was really annoyed at the fact that the missions you finished kept coming back to the list

Im a huge fan of the first FFTA but now I just can even force myself to finish FFTA2

Repetetive missions was one of many problems I had... I actually went back and beat FFTA recently for the third time; I'm only 25 hours in FFTA2.

One thing I couldn't stand was the trap system. Why was it implemented? It tooka good part of the 'Strategy' out of the game :|

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
It makes sense that the reviews posted so early were positive. In general, in order for a review to go up early, it needs to be a certain score. Give it a week or so, and its average will proably go down to low 7's or high 6's.
Shinobisoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 Shinobisoma
Member since 2005 • 936 Posts
I was able to play the first 2 chapters today and it was great. The 1st chapter was pretty boring but it really picked up right after. It's a shame the game belongs to my friend or else i'd be playing it now.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 famicommander
It makes sense that the reviews posted so early were positive. In general, in order for a review to go up early, it needs to be a certain score. Give it a week or so, and its average will proably go down to low 7's or high 6's.JAB991
I've never heard of SEGA putting out embargoes like that. You hear about the mega-publishers like EA, Ubi, and Activision doing it, but I don't know if SEGA has the cash or the influence to force review sources into things like that.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#49 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Well I have the game and I can give my impressions later.
mattsn22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#50 mattsn22
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts
relying on IGN reviews always seemed a bit risky to me...