If you could buy a 3DS without the 3D, would you?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

If Nintento released an alternate version of their console with a larger 2D display that had a higher resolution and better battery life, would you buy it?

Personally, I would. I don't really care about the 3D effect, it's just this pointless thing hindering an otherwise good system for me.

desk_jet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 desk_jet
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

i would only if the graphics were a little bit better, i feel when we turn the 3d on, the textures look better and overall the game looks better. but ye i would if the graphics were a bit better.

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

Yes. I bought it because I like the games on offer so.......

LetsPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LetsPlayer
Member since 2010 • 198 Posts
If it's cheaper I suppose so.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

What would the point be? I mean you can turn the 3D off... and developers dont have to use the3D.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 superfluidity

What would the point be? I mean you can turn the 3D off... and developers dont have to use the3D.

Gamingclone

The point would be a bigger, higher resolution screen and better battery life.

That's a major thing that bothers me about the 3DS; it's a technological step forward in one way, but a step backwards in several others.

emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

THe 3ds looks sweet. Normal it looks fine, but 3D makes it look good. Alas, if it were way cheaper without the 3D I would buy it.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts

Yeah i would, im not a big fan of 3D its just a gimmick in most cases. (Not all, it can be done right!) Playing SSF4 in 60FPS vs 3D with 30FPS is a no brainer...

Jack_240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#9 Jack_240
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

superfluidity

The point would be a bigger, higher resolution screen and better battery life.

That's a major thing that bothers me about the 3DS; it's a technological step forward in one way, but a step backwards in several others.

I agree, the 3DS is a step forward in a technological view and it's far more powerful than the original DS and PSP, but the 3D effect consumes a lot of the battery and I know for sure I won't be playing Resident Evil Mercenaries and revealation on the go with 3D turned on.

inflammable01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 inflammable01
Member since 2007 • 1374 Posts
Absolutely, the first thing that came to mind when done playing the SF4 demo. It'd have to be cheaper though or have some type of bonus to it.
fer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fer-
Member since 2010 • 318 Posts
Yeah, if it was the form factor of the XL I would jump on it
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
why would i do such a pointless thing? there's already a switch for that, so not even the 3D blind have to pick the "oh crap now i want 3D but can't turn it on" version
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 superfluidity

why would i do such a pointless thing? there's already a switch for that, so not even the 3D blind have to pick the "oh crap now i want 3D but can't turn it on" versionBrunoBRS

The screen is still small and low resolution and the battery life is very short. Those are the issues I'm discussing here.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts
No, I totally want that 3D.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i do such a pointless thing? there's already a switch for that, so not even the 3D blind have to pick the "oh crap now i want 3D but can't turn it on" versionsuperfluidity

The screen is still small and low resolution and the battery life is very short. Those are the issues I'm discussing here.

the battery life is short with 3D on. turn it off and it gets longer. it's not like it's a fixed amount of energy spent regardless of what you're doing.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 superfluidity

the battery life is short with 3D on. turn it off and it gets longer. it's not like it's a fixed amount of energy spent regardless of what you're doing.BrunoBRS

Even with it off it is very short in comparison to other modern devices. It only gets a fraction of the battery life of the DSi XL. The iPad 2 gets 10 hours and many netbooks get even more than that, with screens many times larger.

The biggest issue is screen size and resolution though. Those should be two of the most important features of any portable console and they are very lacking with the 3DS.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the battery life is short with 3D on. turn it off and it gets longer. it's not like it's a fixed amount of energy spent regardless of what you're doing.superfluidity

Even with it off it is very short in comparison to other modern devices. It only gets a fraction of the battery life of the DSi XL. The iPad 2 gets 10 hours and many netbooks get even more than that, with screens many times larger.

and batteries many times larger too.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Even though I play without 3D most of the time, it is a nice gimmick I definitely love so no I wouldn't buy it.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

Sure if its cheaper than the current version

iAmAbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 iAmAbel
Member since 2011 • 860 Posts

if it was $50 cheaper then year.

But if it was like $20 cheaper then no :P

Cant resist the 3d :D

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Are you joking?

Ofcourse not!!!!

I want that 3D.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

No I wouldn't. The 3d gives the games much more depth. Especially with games like super street fighter. And a game like pilot wings is kinda of bland in 2d.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

If it meant it were much cheaper, then definitely. I couldn't care less about the 3D, but I do want the console for the games.

Rafandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rafandrews
Member since 2007 • 268 Posts
It actually depends on how much cheaper it will be. But for the most part I like the 3D.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

then it would be called the 3DS light..lol

anyway once you go 3d you dont go back...so no from me.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Meh. It seems like an odd question, really- first if the resolution were higher, wouldn't that make games made for the 3DS look terrible on the "2DS"? Or do you imagine in this hypothetical that there would be two separate Nintendo handhelds competing with each other? Second, do you imagine game developers would make two versions of a handheld title? One with hi res graphics and one with 3D graphics? The hypothetical is too outrageous to be taken seriously.
pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts

What almost everyone said. If it's cheaper but with larger screen, better resolution and battery life, then yes.

Then again it wouldn't be a 3DS is there was no 3D to begin with.. :/

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Meh. It seems like an odd question, really- first if the resolution were higher, wouldn't that make games made for the 3DS look terrible on the "2DS"? Or do you imagine in this hypothetical that there would be two separate Nintendo handhelds competing with each other? Second, do you imagine game developers would make two versions of a handheld title? One with hi res graphics and one with 3D graphics? The hypothetical is too outrageous to be taken seriously.

That is true. They can't just change the resolution of a handheld system that is already out. Developers would have to make separate versions of the games and it would split the user-base. Having a bigger screen and better battery life would be nice and might happen at some point. I would not want to give up on the 3D though. It is very useful (especially in Ridge Racer). Also it's not a gimmick. A gimmick would be if the 3DS changed colors depending on your mood or give it a cape or something. People overuse that term and it's annoying. Giving a game a sense of depth is just as important as having higher resolution graphics which most people don't consider a gimmick. At least you can already turn the 3D off if you don't want it, so it's not an issue if you don't like 3D.
SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts

i don't even have the 3d feature turned on ever. So as for buying a new one well that would depend on the look, features and color.

i like some of the 3ds game titles however i play them in 2d. and i still play mostly regular ds 2d games on my 3ds.

Only reason i bought a 3ds is cause i liked the slick shiney look of it.

EDIT: screen size and the battery life on the 3ds aren't an issue for me as i haven't had a problem with my battery life yet and as for the screen i was so used to playing on a ds lite that the 3ds screen size doesnt bother me at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Being a DS advanced woulden't be a bad thing, but I think they'll pull off all your improvements and still have 3D in the inevitible 3DS XL
Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nubukon
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

If Nintento released an alternate version of their console with a larger 2D display that had a higher resolution and better battery life, would you buy it?

Personally, I would. I don't really care about the 3D effect, it's just this pointless thing hindering an otherwise good system for me.

superfluidity

Yes, I would. The 3D effect is fun, but doesn't add much to the gameplay. If they released just a cheaper model without 3D, I'd still probably buy it.

play3dsnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 play3dsnow
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
yes i will buy whatever from nintendo as long it kick azz
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Being a DS advanced woulden't be a bad thing, but I think they'll pull off all your improvements and still have 3D in the inevitible 3DS XLdarkspineslayer

No you will get 3DSi first, then 3DSi XL, then 3DSi XXL :P

ReaperZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ReaperZA
Member since 2003 • 1521 Posts

Heeeeellll no! Not that I bought it for the 3D functionailty but its certainly nice to have, jus think when 3D pron comes out! ;)

CUDCUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CUDCUD
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

superfluidity

I'd consider it, i am actually looking forward to a redesign of the 3DS with a larger 3D screen and longer batter life; i'm also like you i don't really care about the 3D effect.

Zoe2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zoe2011
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
If it has many "ifs", I am so glad to buy/
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#37 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Yes. I barely notice a 3D effect in the games I have tried and it makes me and everyone else who has watched me play the 3DS sick either instantly or almost instantly. I would much rather have a bigger and better screen.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

superfluidity
No. I love the 3D effect.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts
no. i like 3D. i just want the viewing angles improved and the battery life improved so im waiting for the 3DSLite. but i like the idea of having a little portable 3D gaming machine.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Yes. I barely notice a 3D effect in the games I have tried and it makes me and everyone else who has watched me play the 3DS sick either instantly or almost instantly. I would much rather have a bigger and better screen.Legolas_Katarn
1. Samurai Warriors, with it's wide open battlefield and CG cutscenes shows off the 3D pretty well. 2. If people are watching you play, you ought to turn the 3D off so that they can appreciate the graphical horsepower of the device.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

Only if it had a higher res and better screen etc.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

Only if it had a higher res and better screen etc.

DragonQuest77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DragonQuest77
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

anyway once you go 3d you dont go back...so no from me.

KBFloYd

Bingo =] everything else looks boaring to me now without the added depth that the 3ds offers, i love it

Chopinist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chopinist
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

Yes. I barely notice a 3D effect in the games I have tried and it makes me and everyone else who has watched me play the 3DS sick either instantly or almost instantly. I would much rather have a bigger and better screen.Legolas_Katarn

I agree. I tried it, and I had pain automatically... if I would get a 3DS, I would never have the 3D on. But without the 3D, it would just be the next in long line of the DS consoles :P with improved techincal aspect ofcourse, but just another DS all the same.

Since 3D is more pain than gain for me, I'm sticking with my DS as it's probably the last system my eyes can take without burning. PS3, especially that modracers game, give me terrible migraines... Guess i'm biologically retro. BRING BACK THE SNES ERA BOOYAH! xD

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
You already can. Just turn the 3D slider off.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
Well then it wouldnt be called a 3DS, it would be called a 2DS.
Mustangooos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 Mustangooos
Member since 2010 • 167 Posts

Yes definately I just got it so I can continue buying ds and any new 3ds games that come out never have 3d turned on.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Yes.
caiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 caiel
Member since 2011 • 42 Posts

and no i will not get the 3ds if there is no 3D its like buying a game that dose not dose work and you konw it dose not work