I already have a DSLite, should I buy a 3DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bqefhpasdgpihw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bqefhpasdgpihw
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts

I already have a DS lite, and I'm thinking whether to buy a new 3DS. I have lots of DS games that I can play on 3DS, but does 3DS offer any unique features better than DS lite?

In terms of games library, does 3DS have more to offer? I'm a JRPG fan, and this is the type of games I tend to play the most. I also play adventure games, such as Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk etc.

I also know 3DS has XL version, is its screen much larger than DS lite? One thing I don't particularly like DS lite is its small screen..

Thanks

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

I already have a DS lite, and I'm thinking whether to buy a new 3DS. I have lots of DS games that I can play on 3DS, but does 3DS offer any unique features better than DS lite?

In terms of games library, does 3DS have more to offer? I'm a JRPG fan, and this is the type of games I tend to play the most. I also play adventure games, such as Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk etc.

I also know 3DS has XL version, is its screen much larger than DS lite? One thing I don't particularly like DS lite is its small screen..

Thanks

bqefhpasdgpihw
If you want to keep up with the latest games, definitely. Unfortunately, however, I think the 3DS is currently lacking your preferences. This link was last updated in July, but I think it shows all of the JRPGs and similar games that you would be interested in http://www.listal.com/list/jrpgs-on-nintendo-3ds Sorry for not making link clickable. As you can see, there's virtually nothing available for you at this point in time. So, as a JRPG fan, I'm afraid you would be extremely disappointed. That being said, there's still games yet to come out! 2013 line up Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - Oldschool explorey grindy type Fire Emblem: Awakening - Strategy RPG Monster Hunter 3 - May or may not really count depending on how you view this series. Pokemon Whatever - If you like these, there are bound to be several. Rune Factory 4 No less than three Shin Megami Tensei games, plus one Devil Summoner title. Note that some of the above don't have North American release dates yet. _____________ I'd probably consider getting a Vita if you want JRPGs though. But, I personally am avoiding it. It seems quite unstable at the moment. It hasn't sold very well.
bqefhpasdgpihw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bqefhpasdgpihw
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts
Thanks. In fact, I was wondering if I should get a 3DS or Vita. Neither seems perfect, but 3DS has a slight advantage of backward compatibility.
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Thanks. In fact, I was wondering if I should get a 3DS or Vita. Neither seems perfect, but 3DS has a slight advantage of backward compatibility. bqefhpasdgpihw

I have the 3DSXL and a Vita.........Vita hasnt been touched in months, XL gets played at least every other day. I couldnt really tell from your original post but just an fyi the 3DS is not your DS Lite with just a 3D screen. The easiest way I can compare the 2 is DS Lite= PS1/N64 graphics power, 3DS=Gamecubeish/Wiiish graphics power while doing glasses free 3D at the same time. I would def recommend the 3DSXL, big screens and its just more comfortable than the small 3DS.

TIGERLIONX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TIGERLIONX
Member since 2004 • 914 Posts

i recently bought a 3ds for my daughter and i tested some games on it like TWEWY and some demos.

after that i wanted a 3ds too because ive been a pokemon fan since the gameboy era and i really wanted to play the remastered version of ocarina of time.

so knowing there was a 3ds version with larger screens and more durable battery, i wanted the 3DS XL.

at the beginning i didnt liked it because it ddnt have that glossy touch and shine of the small one but after doing a little bit of research i finally bought and everything is better, the games look way better on those biga#$ screens, the design isnt the same but it looks cooler too and well builded, the buttons are far more better than the small one (hold easier to your fingertips) and the battery last longer.

also i thought the size was going to be a problem for my pocket but it isnt too big for a handheld, its perfect

so if you are going to buy a 3ds, go for the XL, it improves everything on the original one, i tested and played both and i always look at my daughters 3ds and think, how i was able to play in that?

its like when you upgrade your tv from an old tubes SDTV to a LCD TV with HDMI, well not as huge the change but you get the idea

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
I've had a DS lite since they came out, yet went out & got a 3ds aswell, & I've no regrets, its a quality little upgraded handheld. I'd suggest that you buy a 3ds XL to make the change that bit more, you will not regret it, fasure.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

The 3DS is the new generation. Naturally, it will have a much smaller game library than the DS at this time but it will grow with time. It's work getting in my opinion.

The 3DS XL has longer battery life and screens which are nearly twice as large as the regular 3DS. The stylus is also located on the side of the unit, if that matters to you.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
Thanks. In fact, I was wondering if I should get a 3DS or Vita. Neither seems perfect, but 3DS has a slight advantage of backward compatibility. bqefhpasdgpihw
The Vita has a very weak library right now, especially for the types of games you listed as your favorite. Go with a 3DS. I have the original, but I've heard the XL model is great.
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Thanks

bqefhpasdgpihw
The VITA has Disgaea 3 with DLC stuff from the original PS2.. and has Persona 4 Golden.. (sadly no original JRPGs yet on the west for it) God Eater 2 and Soul Sacrifice is also coming.. at least in Japanese next year. VITA, IMO has much better potential that the 3DS, but potential is nothing without implementation. The 3DS has better value (cheap memory cards, backwards compatibility to the DS [physical media]).. not to mention has better dev support so far. There's also Kingdom Hearts. If you're still very hesitant.. the best thing to do is keep your DSi for now and wait for next year's E3/TGS for more announcement and a chance for each system to TRULY convince you that you NEED to buy them.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Short answer: yes, but keep your DSL.
cayne_phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 cayne_phoenix
Member since 2002 • 2440 Posts
We dont know what kind of games you like, all you said is JRPG and that covers quite a bit of range. all I can tell you is LOOK at the current 3DS library and judge for yourself if you want a 3DS now or not. if you see a vast library in YOUR FAVOUR, then go for it. Otherwise consider being patient for a bit longer to see if the library increases or any games coming out that you would consider buying the 3DS for.