How many of you will actually use StreetPass...

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darkshadow64
Member since 2004 • 6744 Posts

...and how successful will the idea actually be?

I understand Nintendo are trying to push this idea going about your daily life and then when you do open up your 3DS system, you'll see who your 3DS has met and whatnot. Same with some games like Street Fighter IV and its trophy battling system.

What concerns me is how many people are actually going to actively use this feature. Will it be forgotten very quickly? How many people are actually fussed about it?

The problem is Im sure most people dont walk around leaving their systems on. Not trying to make a mobile vs handheld console thread here but people don't feel a need to leave their systems on like they would for a phone. Will the 3DS be able to find other systems while turned 'off'? A bit like WiiConnect24? That would be the only way I'd see this working.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i don't see why not using. i will. just like i don't leave my cellphone turned off when i'm not using it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I was under the impression that it did indeed run somewhat like Wiiconnect24, with an always on search for all games you've played as opposed to something like Nintendogs bark mode
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BrunoBRS
I was under the impression that it did indeed run somewhat like Wiiconnect24, with an always on search for all games you've played as opposed to something like Nintendogs bark modedarkspineslayer
it does. updates, demos, videos, news, all downloaded while you're not using.
Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

its an interesting concept but it may require more battery usage and i want to maximize it so I may leave it disabled.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I won't use it and it will be a complete failure. The chances of people running into other people with a 3DS on them are so low the feature may as well not even be there.

NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
i will. it was fun getting tags for DQIX
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

I see it useless for the moment.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BrunoBRS

I won't use it and it will be a complete failure. The chances of people running into other people with a 3DS on them are so low the feature may as well not even be there.

Pffrbt
it works for wi-fi spots too.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

I will use it. Hell Japan is a big place, you never know what adventure lies until you explore. :)

slick_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slick_25
Member since 2006 • 1026 Posts

And decrease my 3-5 hour battery life? No thank you.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

I will use it. Hell Japan is a big place, you never know what adventure lies until you explore. :)

Zanoh

If i were in Japan defintely, I know more Japanese will be carrying one around than here in America... for now anyway.

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

It works with the system in "sleep mode". I think it is cool that it will find WIFI hotspots and download demos and updates without me having to do anything. Between this and the "gamecoins" you earn by walking around, I'll be taking my 3DS pretty much everywhere with me.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
I'll use it. I really don't see any reason not to.
darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darkshadow64
Like some of you have said, I could see this working in Japan. Really well in fact. But I find it hard to imagine so many people carrying their 3DSs around with them in sleep mode, well in the UK anyway. (if thats how it works) Kinda makes me wish I lived in Japan right about now :p Battery life is another major problem. With only getting 3-5 hours out of the system, will people sacrifice battery life for this feature? (though that's with 3D settings on, but who isnt going to use the 3D? :p) I'll probably leave it on myself, for the off chance I may actually find someone. If after a month it's a complete failure, I'd give up.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

With only getting 3-5 hours out of the system...darkshadow64

Nintendo has confirmed that disabling 3D and turning down the brightness can extend playtime up to 8-hours or longer, so battery life really isn't an issue.

darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darkshadow64

[QUOTE="darkshadow64"]With only getting 3-5 hours out of the system...dzimm

Nintendo has confirmed that disabling 3D and turning down the brightness can extend playtime up to 8-hours or longer, so battery life really isn't an issue.

True that. Depends how intensively StreetPass will use your battery. I'll mostly be playing in 3D when I do use it, so any battery life I could have used for 3D gaming would have instead been used for StreetPass. A sacrifice either way.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Yes, I willl use it. It's a nvery cool feature. I want to see which gamers I meet. Or actually don't meet. :P
Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nubukon
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

I probably won't. Ironically, I rarely play or carry my handhelds outside of my house.

darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkshadow64

I probably won't. Ironically, I rarely play or carry my handhelds outside of my house.

Nubukon
I was the same. However I could see myself playing it more often on the go since I have to catch a train to university and have free periods to sit down with it. I guess University is an ideal environment for this feature.
Kman8909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kman8909
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

I don't fully understand the concept of street pass. Care to explain?

darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darkshadow64

Kman8909
Well basically when your 3DS finds other 3DSs in the surrounding area, they'll exchange information such as Miis for your Mii parade, what games they play etc. Nothing big really. Some games may actually make use of it though. Super Street Fighter IV has a trophy battling mode where your customised trophy battles trophies of passers-by through StreetPass. When you later open up your 3DS, you'll see who your 3DS has battled and whether you won or lost.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Kman8909"]

darkshadow64
Well basically when your 3DS finds other 3DSs in the surrounding area, they'll exchange information such as Miis for your Mii parade, what games they play etc. Nothing big really. Some games may actually make use of it though. Super Street Fighter IV has a trophy battling mode where your customised trophy battles trophies of passers-by through StreetPass. When you later open up your 3DS, you'll see who your 3DS has battled and whether you won or lost.

not only that, but if it finds password-less wifi spots, it'll connect to the internet and download fancy free things you've allowed it to download, like demos, updates and stuff like that. also, leaving the 3DS on allows you to earn coins through the pedometer. and for those worrying about the battery, it probably spends as much as leaving your DS on sleep mode. my DS survived a week on sleep mode and when i opened it again, it had barely lost battery. remember, while on streetpass, the screens won't be working, so the energy required goes drastically down.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

[QUOTE="darkshadow64"]With only getting 3-5 hours out of the system...dzimm

Evidently it is if you have to seriously dumb down the system's capabilities in order to get a decent amount of battery life.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="dzimm"]

With only getting 3-5 hours out of the system...darkshadow64

Evidently it is if you have to seriously dumb down the system's capabilities in order to get a decent amount of battery life.

Just like anything portable on battery. I like to use google nav on my phone but I only turn on GPS when I am using it cause it drains the battery fast. Or a laptop in powersaving mode isnt as fast as it can be but it saves the battery life.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Yeah, I will use it for sure, even if the other 3DS that I ever pass is my bros's (I have 2 bros). Hell, even if they dont get one, I'll still use it.

gamedude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 gamedude2009
Member since 2009 • 4657 Posts

Battery life isn't an issue for streetpass, turn down brightness and 3D all the way and it's in sleep mode. I doubt it will suck up a whole lot.

Silos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Silos911
Member since 2010 • 615 Posts

I heard a story from a podcast. A guy on it used the feature for a game when the Nintendo DS first launched, he used it at Comic Con (I'm assuming San Diego, that's still the big comic con right?) and he found two or three other people using it. It's going to be the same things this time probably, I just don't think people will use it.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

Doesn't it detect other people with a 3DS nearby? I can easily see a child molestor buying one of these...

Kman8909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kman8909
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

[QUOTE="darkshadow64"][QUOTE="Kman8909"]

BrunoBRS

not only that, but if it finds password-less wifi spots, it'll connect to the internet and download fancy free things you've allowed it to download, like demos, updates and stuff like that. also, leaving the 3DS on allows you to earn coins through the pedometer. and for those worrying about the battery, it probably spends as much as leaving your DS on sleep mode. my DS survived a week on sleep mode and when i opened it again, it had barely lost battery. remember, while on streetpass, the screens won't be working, so the energy required goes drastically down.

Thank you to both of you for explaining it to me. I suppose I'd use it but what do the coins actually do?

Stixzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stixzy
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I think I will turn it on only when I'm going out to busy places or at Anime Conventions lol.

My question is, when you receive other people's Mii's and Information do we also get the chance to add them to our friend list? and is there any kind of messaging system?

darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darkshadow64

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="darkshadow64"] Well basically when your 3DS finds other 3DSs in the surrounding area, they'll exchange information such as Miis for your Mii parade, what games they play etc. Nothing big really. Some games may actually make use of it though. Super Street Fighter IV has a trophy battling mode where your customised trophy battles trophies of passers-by through StreetPass. When you later open up your 3DS, you'll see who your 3DS has battled and whether you won or lost.Kman8909

Thank you to both of you for explaining it to me. I suppose I'd use it but what do the coins actually do?

The coins are used to buy/unlock stuff in the pre-installed apps on the 3DS. Not sure if they'll be used for future apps aswell. I'll be making sure to use this feature.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17883 Posts
i probably wont. ill only have the wireless on when i have something to do online with my 3DS. if im out and about then i think i will definately be keeping the wireless off. i think it will be quite successful in japan (especially if a MH game arrives). i dont see it really taking off in the west though.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Kman8909"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] not only that, but if it finds password-less wifi spots, it'll connect to the internet and download fancy free things you've allowed it to download, like demos, updates and stuff like that. also, leaving the 3DS on allows you to earn coins through the pedometer. and for those worrying about the battery, it probably spends as much as leaving your DS on sleep mode. my DS survived a week on sleep mode and when i opened it again, it had barely lost battery. remember, while on streetpass, the screens won't be working, so the energy required goes drastically down.darkshadow64

The coins are used to buy/unlock stuff in the pre-installed apps on the 3DS. Not sure if they'll be used for future apps aswell. I'll be making sure to use this feature.

from what they said, it's sort of a multi-game curreny to get bonuses that will in fact be used in future games/applications. i'm guessing it's kinda like the UPlay points, only it's not lame.
HungryLuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 HungryLuma
Member since 2009 • 1131 Posts

It's a worthless feature, in my opinion. I doubt many people in America would carry their 3DS everywhere they go. Maybe in Japan, it's good, but in other countries, pointless.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

I'm the only one in my country that owns a ds. So no.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

I carry around my DS a lot, I bet it'll be useful since I live a walk away from a mall.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
It is a nice feature. But how many people will own a 3DS, carry it around in sleep mode, and walk past me?
thegamesdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thegamesdude
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I think I will use Street Pass, when I get the system of course. It seems really interesting, but the thing about it is...how many people will... 1. HAVE A 3DS which costs over $250! 2. And will kids or adults be walking around with their ds on sleep mode in their pocket instead of saving their cartridge and then turning it off to save battery? It doesn't make that much sense to me, but if people will do it........
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

imagine...

some pedophile goes to a kindergarden school with his 3ds and alll the kids with a 3ds transfer to his? :0

ninetndo is going to get sued.

JadeNic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JadeNic
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

I think I can positively say that I will probably never use StreetPass. I want to make the most out of my battery life, and I know some of you say that battery life will not be an issue, but I highly doubt I will ever run into anyone with another 3DS during my daily routine, and as such it would seem like a waste to me.

If a game I like every uses StreetPass in a way that enhances it in an interesting way, I may give it a go while on a trip or something, but this is probably unlikely.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BrunoBRS

imagine...

some pedophile goes to a kindergarden school with his 3ds and alll the kids with a 3ds transfer to his? :0

KBFloYd
not really because the guy won't get any personal info, the kids' first names at most. plus the 3DS is not recommended for ages of 6 and younger by nintendo themselves.
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

imagine...

KBFloYd

I guess gun manufacturers get sued too becauseguns kill people.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

imagine...

Jelley0

let me remind you that starbucks was sued because their hot coffee was hot. and it fell on the guy's crotch (god knows how, those things are sealed for a reason). and the guy said there was nothing on the hot coffee's cup saying that it was hot. so he sued starbucks. and won.
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts

[QUOTE="Jelley0"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

imagine...

BrunoBRS

let me remind you that starbucks was sued because their hot coffee was hot. and it fell on the guy's crotch (god knows how, those things are sealed for a reason). and the guy said there was nothing on the hot coffee's cup saying that it was hot. so he sued starbucks. and won.

True. American's are idiot's though what do you expect(I'm American.) As far as the StreePass feature I will definitely be using it to it's full potential.. who knows, maybe I'll end up transfering with a hot chick and build a sweet ass relationship due to us owning a 3DS. PROFIT!!!!

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
I'll use it depending on what im doing that particular day, if its just school then I'll use it since there is no way im playing this thing more than 3 hours. But, if im going on a long trip, then probably not.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

not me. i will turn it off for the longest battery life possible for the gaming

xMarex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xMarex
Member since 2010 • 168 Posts
I'm not gonna use it, it uses itself :) On a serious note, I'll probably use it over wifi, or take it with me on campus (which is in a busy downtown are) and plug it in, so it can do whatever it likes
darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darkshadow64
[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

imagine...

BrunoBRS
not really because the guy won't get any personal info, the kids' first names at most. plus the 3DS is not recommended for ages of 6 and younger by nintendo themselves.

Expect some silly journalists to report the 3DS as a potential tool for paedophiles. Happened with the DSs Pictochat :|