How loud is your WiiU's disc drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts

Hook up and software update went great lastnight. Then I started playing a little Black Ops 2 and noticed the disc drive sounded a little noisy. Noticeably so and this is coming from someone who's owned his share off consoles. Sounded like it was working hard. Probably just being paranoid but with some of the accounts from people online of some defective units..... Though those reports seem to center on the system not starting up at all or freezing. Anyways just wondering if the drive being a little noisy is normal. Anyone notice this.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

The laser is a little loud, it sounds about the same if not better then the original Wii did.

Also did you notice how cool the system stays?? I was literally shocked I played for 2 hours and it was barely warm on any side of the machine! It literally does not heat up!

zyphyr2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zyphyr2k12
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts

Haven't noticed it being louder than the Wii was, I'd say about the same.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The laser is a little loud, it sounds about the same if not better then the original Wii did.

Also did you notice how cool the system stays?? I was literally shocked I played for 2 hours and it was barely warm on any side of the machine! It literally does not heat up!

Vickman178

I know right? I played it for 7 hours straight the day it came out with a friend and it actually felt cool to the touch.

In any case, I'm not sure if it's the disc drive or the fan, but the system is definitely noticeably louder than the Wii.

sum_guy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sum_guy09
Member since 2011 • 668 Posts

i've definitely noticed it & i found it to be rather annoying. i even thought about making a topic. it sounds like its gonna explode while playing black ops

sum_guy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sum_guy09
Member since 2011 • 668 Posts

is it ok to leave it in its cradle position the whole time (sideways)? or does it not make any difference

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Not noticeable when playing NSMBU. Seems on par with the Wii for noise. I am using the included stands. It may be better to lay the console flat. Thus far no difficulties. The Noise level of the "Blu-Ray" drive is normal. Compared to Sony's Blu-Ray drive.

Nintendo uses their own modified 'Blu-Ray' so far is seems OK.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

It's not. At All.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i cant even hear it because of my computer fans.
blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blueydwlf

is it ok to leave it in its cradle position the whole time (sideways)? or does it not make any difference

sum_guy09

This brings up an interesting point I forgot to mention. During one of the recent Iwata Asks they mentioned how they designed the Wii to have a more vertical oriented form factor. With WiiU however they designed it with a more horizontal oriented form. I always kept my Wii in it's stand vertical. With the WiiU I decided to change it up and go horizontal and not use the included stands. I'm wondering if and how this might effect performance in the long run. How did everyone else decide to set up their WiiU? I may set it in the stand and see if the noise is any better.

zyphyr2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zyphyr2k12
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts

I keep mine horizontal. The only times it has froze on me so far was when I had it in the stands.

Not saying that was the cause but I thought I'd try horizontal and see what happens.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I keep my Wii U horizontal. It's performance has been flawless for the over 12 hours I've used the system. I hope I didn't jinx myself

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
Hmmm really now? Is it louder than the xbox 360? I swear my 360(it's the older model not slim) sounds like it's freakn blending the disc LOL
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

My Wii U is so quiet, some times I wonder if the parts inside are moving at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I'm about 5 feet away--I literally don't hear a thing.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Though what I do hear, is my tv remote vibrating :P

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lulmont
Member since 2010 • 671 Posts

The same as my Wii so not silent.

blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blueydwlf

My Wii U is so quiet, some times I wonder if the parts inside are moving at all.

Gamingclone
Seriously?!? I was playing Blops 2 again last night. My wife, who was sitting on the couch behind me face buried in her iPad, looks up and says is that your WiiU making that noise? My couch is about about 7-8 ft away from the entertainment center. :(
chisoxrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chisoxrule
Member since 2005 • 2095 Posts

Mine is very quiet, compared to the old Wii which is very loud.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm literally right next to the system most of the time when I play, so it sounds loud from where I'm sitting. I can't really hear that much though when I'm further away.

blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blueydwlf

Just out of curiosity, what games are you guys playing when your console isn't making much noise? Maybe Black Ops is the problem. Lol

baramos123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 baramos123
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

My drive is also quite audibly noisy I was wondering if it is same as some of you are experiencing. Here's a CLIP I recorded it's a tad muffled but you get the idea it start of with the system off them I turn it on and you can hear the constant whirring whiring it always does when a disc is in the system, I edited in how it sounds playing black ops onto 2nd half of the clip. Is that the same noise some of you guys are experiencing? I just want to make sure it's normal or not if it isn't I'll probably give nintendo a call after I get done going through the games I have to get to get it repaired. The Wii U is dead silent when a disc isn't spinning sadly it seems to always spin even when playing eshop games so I usually just end up taking whatever disc is in system out when I'm playing a non-disc based game. Hopefully they'll let us install disc based games to an external hard drive sometime and only do a disc check like the 360 does when you go to play the game or turn on the system or something and then stop spinning.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I was playing black ops today with the tv off and it was LOUD
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I have never heard any loud noises from my Wii U even while playing Black Ops 2. Maybe I have the volume too loud while playing BLOPS2. I'll play it again later tonight and check it out.
blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blueydwlf

Played Zombie U for a few hours today and noticed I could still hear the occasional click or buzz but they weren't as loud or frequent. Guessing it must be Black Ops

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

I do not remember any loud sounds when turn on my Wii U or playing New Super Mario Bros. U. The sounds I heard were similar to the Wii.