How does Metroid Other M stack up against the other Metroid games?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

I personally, although most reviewers rank it lower against other Metroids, I think it fits right in. So far I'm around 7-8 hours into the game, and it's incredibly fun, Samus's inner voice is monotone, but when she actually talks she shows emotion and isn't that bad. Also the cutscenes are great and they I felt no need to skip them. The graphics are comparable to prime 3's, maybe even better, it has great mixture of first person and third person. It has a really smart auto aim, and the boss battles are awesome. Also the sound is quite good and I like the story.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

I personally, although most reviewers rank it lower against other Metroids, I think it fits right in. So far I'm around 7-8 hours into the game, and it's incredibly fun, Samus's inner voice is monotone, but when she actually talks she shows emotion and isn't that bad. Also the cutscenes are great and they I felt no need to skip them. The graphics are comparable to prime 3's, maybe even better, it has great mixture of first person and third person. It has a really smart auto aim, and the boss battles are awesome. Also the sound is quite good and I like the story.

FPS1337

Dude I cannot agree any more. I just beat it today at twelve hours and feels just as much like a Metroid game as any other. Only with an extremely slick presentation and an unbelieveable story. Seriously the end is mind ripping!

And Samus' voice is great. Sounds amazing in cutscenes. Her character and the Metroid lore has taken a serious hit of adreniline with this game. Brilliant!

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts
I dont really care for the graphics but wanna know if its as difficult as prime and prime 2?
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
I want to get the game but 10 hours or less of gameplay and over 2 hours of cut scenes really put me off. I know i will enjoy the game but there is no replay value
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
this game is as great as any of the old metroid games and as near perfect as a 3d metroid game can be
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darth-Samus

I want to get the game but 10 hours or less of gameplay and over 2 hours of cut scenes really put me off. I know i will enjoy the game but there is no replay valueCrystal-Rush

There is most certainly not two hours of cutscenes. There is a great amount of the killer story but for as much story as there is it's inclusion and how much there is has been blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion by a few kinda stupid reviewers. Trust me there's over ten hours of gameplay and probably about 30 to 40 minutes of cinemas. ON TOP of the gameplay. And I've beaten it so trust me ;)

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I just find the game absolutly amazing.

though Prime (1) and Super top it.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Given that I finally got the chance to experience the game meself, here's my ranking among the entire series, excluding Trilogy for obvious reasons.

1. Super Metroid
  2. Metroid Prime 1
  3. Metroid Prime 3
  4. Metroid Prime 2
  5. Metroid/Zero Mission
  6. Metroid: Other M
  7. Metroid II
  8. Metroid Prime Hunters
  9. Metroid Prime Pinball
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elbert_b_23

[QUOTE="Crystal-Rush"]I want to get the game but 10 hours or less of gameplay and over 2 hours of cut scenes really put me off. I know i will enjoy the game but there is no replay valueDarth-Samus

There is most certainly not two hours of cutscenes. There is a great amount of the killer story but for as much story as there is it's inclusion and how much there is has been blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion by a few kinda stupid reviewers. Trust me there's over ten hours of gameplay and probably about 30 to 40 minutes of cinemas. ON TOP of the gameplay. And I've beaten it so trust me ;)

i think its more around 50 minutes at max theres 29 cgi scenes and most are 1 to 2 minutes but there 2 really long ones that seem around 5 to 10 minutes
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Given that I finally got the chance to experience the game meself, here's my ranking among the entire series, excluding Trilogy for obvious reasons.

1. Super Metroid
  2. Metroid Prime 1
  3. Metroid Prime 3
  4. Metroid Prime 2
  5. Metroid/Zero Mission
  6. Metroid: Other M
  7. Metroid II
  8. Metroid Prime Hunters
  9. Metroid Prime Pinball

TheFallenDemon

U missed Zero mission, and personally I would not group Metroid and zero mission together, as they feel COMPLETELY different.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
I want to get the game but 10 hours or less of gameplay and over 2 hours of cut scenes really put me off. I know i will enjoy the game but there is no replay valueCrystal-Rush
Then you will play only RPGs with a lot of grinding and multiplayer shooters.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darth-Samus

I rank them as so:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Metroid Zero Mission
3. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
4. Metroid Other M
5. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
6. Super Metroid
7. Metroid
8. Metroid Fusion
9. Metroid Prime Hunters

And of course like many I haven't layed Metroid II. I'm always looking for it though.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife

I rank them as so:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Metroid Zero Mission
4. Metroid Other M
6. Super Metroid
7. Metroid
8. Metroid Fusion
9. Metroid Prime Hunters

And of course like many I haven't layed Metroid II. I'm always looking for it though.

Darth-Samus

Hmm, I am not sure I can trust u anymore lol. Super Metroid should be 1st or 2nd, otherwise you are....well just plain wrong :P.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darth-Samus

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

[QUOTE="Crystal-Rush"]I want to get the game but 10 hours or less of gameplay and over 2 hours of cut scenes really put me off. I know i will enjoy the game but there is no replay valueelbert_b_23

i think its more around 50 minutes at max theres 29 cgi scenes and most are 1 to 2 minutes but there 2 really long ones that seem around 5 to 10 minutes

That may be true. Even so I'm sure you can agree that the story does not seem heavy handed or impede gameplay. There are LARGE segments of pure gameplay for hours before any story happens again.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
I dont really care for the graphics but wanna know if its as difficult as prime and prime 2? ssj_neo
more difficult the prime 1 I think, I've died a few times, but luckily there's plenty of save points so you never get too far behind after dieing.
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

I rank them as so:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Metroid Zero Mission
4. Metroid Other M
6. Super Metroid
7. Metroid
8. Metroid Fusion
9. Metroid Prime Hunters

NaveedLife

Hmm, I am not sure I can trust u anymore lol. Super Metroid should be 1st or 2nd, otherwise you are....well just plain wrong :P.

:lol: I thought the same, but it is his opinion. I guess we just have different tastes than him.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darth-Samus

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

I rank them as so:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Metroid Zero Mission
4. Metroid Other M
6. Super Metroid
7. Metroid
8. Metroid Fusion
9. Metroid Prime Hunters

Bobbles

:lol: I thought the same, but it is his opinion. I guess we just have different tastes than him.

What? You guys are nuts. And for the record as shameful as it is for me to admit, as someone who grew up playing the original Metroid when it was brand new, I did miss [playing through all of] Super and didn't get to it until after Echoes. 'Tis very sad indeed. It's still better than 99% of all other games ever.

And as an aside: with the original Prime being number 1 (as well as my all time favorite game ever ever created), the concept of being wrong is no longer a possibility. Whether Super was 1st, 2nd, or 100th. Prime trumps all. The end ;)

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darth-Samus

[QUOTE="Bobbles"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Darth-Samus

What? You guys are nuts. And for the record as shameful as it is for me to admit, as someone who grew up playing the original Metroid when it was brand new, I did miss [playing through all of] Super and didn't get to it until after Echoes. 'Tis very sad indeed. It's still better than 99% of all other games ever.

And as an aside: with the original Prime being number 1 (as well as my all time favorite game ever ever created), the concept of being wrong is no longer a possibility. Whether Super was 1st, 2nd, or 100th. Prime trumps all. The end ;)

And even if you could maybe shuffle the order of Corruption, Echoes, Super and Other M around, one thing I do believe in completely is that I do think Zero Mission is flipping amazing. The best of all the 2D Metroids hands down. It's brilliance is a tad overlooked even though it's one of the best reviewed in the entire series. It's like Super only better :)

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bobbles

[QUOTE="Bobbles"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Darth-Samus

Prime being #1 is fine with me, and Naveed I'm sure, but Super Metroid should be right after it at the lowest. I played through every Metroid(except II) right around the time they came out and it's Super/Prime at the top for me. Oh and Echoes>>>>Corruption.
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bobbles

And even if you could maybe shuffle the order of Corruption, Echoes, Super and Other M around, one thing I do believe in completely is that I do think Zero Mission is flipping amazing. The best of all the 2D Metroids hands down. It's brilliance is a tad overlooked even though it's one of the best reviewed in the entire series. It's like Super only better :)

Darth-Samus

This is how I would rank them:

1. Super Metroid

2. Metroid Prime

3. Metroid: Zero Mission

4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

5. Metroid Fusion

6. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

7. Metroid

8. Metroid II: Return of Samus

9. Metroid Prime Hunters(this doesn't even deserve a spot)

I can't accurately rank Other M until I've completed it.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darth-Samus

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

Bobbles

This is how I would rank them:

1. Super Metroid

2. Metroid Prime

3. Metroid: Zero Mission

4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

5. Metroid Fusion

6. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

7. Metroid

8. Metroid II: Return of Samus

9. Metroid Prime Hunters(this doesn't even deserve a spot)

I can't accurately rank Other M until I've completed it.

Right on man that's a solid list. I like seeing Fusion get some love. It's hard as hell but really excellent! I guess my view is that they are all collectively #1 for me. I may put Hunters or Fusion or II at the bottom of a list of Metroid games, but above any other game or series out there, ever. It's like asking me to rank Star Wars movies ( HUGE SW fan as well). I may have a "least favorite" SW movie, but they are still all my favorite over anything else ever made. Putting a Metroid anywhere on a Metroid list still makes it my favorite game on any other list :) Catch what I'm saying?

P.S. Echoes is orgasmically excellent to be sure! And it may be the more cleverly crafted Prime game, and most complicated of all the Metroid games, but I liked Corruptions introduction of a serious narrative, more diverse worlds and universe, planetary travel, better graphics and for the time (pre-MP Trilogy) the vastly improved control thanks to the Wiimote. That's why as hard as it is at the end of the day Corruption squeezes out ofver Echoes. I don't know about any if this ">>>>>>" nonsense. That seems a little extreme to me ;) They are all very close.

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bobbles
I wouldn't say any Metroid is better than any other game, I'm not that crazy. As for Star Wars, the original trilogy is great, but the new trilogy is hilariously bad.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

I'll go with...

Super Metroid

Metroid: Other M

Metroid Prime

Metroid: Zero Mission

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Prime 3

Metroid Prime 2

Metroid II

Metroid

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Darth-Samus

I wouldn't say any Metroid is better than any other game, I'm not that crazy. As for Star Wars, the original trilogy is great, but the new trilogy is hilariously bad. Bobbles

I think based on these statements I find it hard for you and I to be friends :P

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bobbles

[QUOTE="Bobbles"]I wouldn't say any Metroid is better than any other game, I'm not that crazy. As for Star Wars, the original trilogy is great, but the new trilogy is hilariously bad. Darth-Samus

I came to this conclusion already when you ranked Super Metroid at 6 and lower than Corruption. :D
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34703 Posts

I dont really care for the graphics but wanna know if its as difficult as prime and prime 2? ssj_neo
Other M is the hardest Metroid I've played. I've died about 8 times now, and I'm just 4 hours in. Died 1 or 2 times in Prime 1 and 2. Haven't played the first (for long), Metroid 2 and Zero Mission, though.

However, don't get me wrong, it's still not that hard. If you thought the Primes were hard, but still enjoyable, you'll probably like this one too.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 elbert_b_23
i guess i'll have to make a list now super metroid metroid fusion metroid other m metroid 2 return of samus metroid prime metroid prime 3 prime 2 hunters i haven't played zero mission or pinball and i am still half awake so i hope i didn't miss any games
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darth-Samus

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

[QUOTE="Bobbles"]I wouldn't say any Metroid is better than any other game, I'm not that crazy. As for Star Wars, the original trilogy is great, but the new trilogy is hilariously bad. Bobbles

I came to this conclusion already when you ranked Super Metroid at 6 and lower than Corruption. :D

True that! Amen brother!

(and the prequels kick just as much ass too btw. Just you know....fyi ;) )

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darth-Samus

i guess i'll have to make a list now super metroid metroid fusion metroid other m metroid 2 return of samus metroid prime metroid prime 3 prime 2 hunters i haven't played zero mission or pinball and i am still half awake so i hope i didn't miss any games elbert_b_23

Wow Metroid Prime so low :shock: Crazy but right on man.

And you HAVE TO PLAY Zero Mission. It's to die for.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 elbert_b_23

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]i guess i'll have to make a list now super metroid metroid fusion metroid other m metroid 2 return of samus metroid prime metroid prime 3 prime 2 hunters i haven't played zero mission or pinball and i am still half awake so i hope i didn't miss any games Darth-Samus

Wow Metroid Prime so low :shock: Crazy but right on man.

And you HAVE TO PLAY Zero Mission. It's to die for.

i am not a huge fps fan to me theres only been a small handful of good fps games and prime 1 i managed to get around half way thou before i one day stopped playing it and never picked it up again, and prime 2 i rented it when it came out played 2 hours and my gc died after i got a new working gc and wii i never bothered playing 2, i got 3 the day before other m i played it for a few hours and stopped to play super metroid then metroid
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#31 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

i think it fits perfectly fine with the rest of the series. i have no major complaints so far, enjoying it thoroughly.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chex81

wow, shocked by how many put Prime 2 at the bottom of their list...heres my personal list

• Prime 1
  • Prime 2
  • Super Metroid
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Metroid: ZM
  • Prime 3
  • Metroid
  • Metroid Hunters
  • Metroid II
  • Metroid Pinball (can that really count lol)

Other M wont be ranked until i finish it once...but as of this moment, its lingering between super metroid and fusion

Alkaidism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Alkaidism
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
As things stand (not too far into other m) 1: Zero Mission (It was my first. So biased I guess) 2: Super Metroid 3: Metroid Fusion 4: Prime 1 5: Other M ....don't care about the rest too much. >_>
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

[QUOTE="ssj_neo"]I dont really care for the graphics but wanna know if its as difficult as prime and prime 2? Litchie

Other M is the hardest Metroid I've played. I've died about 8 times now, and I'm just 4 hours in. Died 1 or 2 times in Prime 1 and 2. Haven't played the first (for long), Metroid 2 and Zero Mission, though.

However, don't get me wrong, it's still not that hard. If you thought the Primes were hard, but still enjoyable, you'll probably like this one too.

Nice :)
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Other M is a great game. I really like it. I like the story of the game too, and the cutscenes were actually pretty good in my opinion. The only complaint I have is that they made Metroid a bit too japanese. Those thumbs down moments felt super anime cliche-y. I do watch anime occasionally but keep it away from my Metroid.

I just collected 100% items today and it was fun looking for all the items, just as usual.

Other M is a great Metroid game, but It's nowhere near the awesomeness of Metroid Prime and Super Metroid.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I would say that its better than Fusion, but not nearly as good as Super.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NaveedLife

Being the proud new owner of Other M, I will be able to tell you my opinion sometime relatively soon :P. Got so much to do though, dont know when I will get around to playing it :(.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darth-Samus

Being the proud new owner of Other M, I will be able to tell you my opinion sometime relatively soon :P. Got so much to do though, dont know when I will get around to playing it :(.

NaveedLife

The only thing you have to do is play Other M! Get to it my man! ;)

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

from what I've played:

Prime = Super

Fusion

Prime 3

Other M

1/Zero Mission

Prime 2

Hunters

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Litchie

Hey, I wanna make a list too! Mine:

Super Metroid (just because of the awesomesauce for its time)
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime Pinball (still awesome despite being down here)
Metroid Prime Hunters (hated this one. great controls and graphics, super lame single-player)

So far, Other M is either above or below Fusion (I'm 7 hours in).

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bobbles

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime Hunters (hated this one. great controls and graphics, super lame single-player)

Litchie

Good list, but where is Zero Mission? Play it now if you really haven't.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

List Time! only what ive played.

1. Metroid NES...its what made me love metroid

ok.. these 3 might change once i finish other m.. im like 8 hours in.

2. other m
3. Prime
4. super metroid

5. prime 2
6. metroid 2
7. prime3

thats all the metroids i played.. actually i havnt played 2 yet... but really really want to..zero mission can burn in hell :twisted: ..and i think one day i may play fusion...maybe.. oh and i never seen a vid of prime hunters.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NaveedLife

List Time! only what ive played.

1. Metroid NES...its what made me love metroid

ok.. these 3 might change once i finish other m.. im like 8 hours in.

2. other m
3. Prime
4. super metroid

5. prime 2
6. metroid 2
7. prime3

thats all the metroids i played.. actually i havnt played 2 yet... but really really want to..zero mission can burn in hell :twisted: ..and i think one day i may play fusion...maybe.. oh and i never seen a vid of prime hunters.

KBFloYd

Prime hunters is probably the worst metroid, but due to how much i could not get into Metroid II, I rank it higher. Your list is pretty solid though.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
I played all EXCEPT echoes and metroid 2. So far, 6 hours, Another M is shaping to be one of my favorites. Personally: Super metroid Zero mission Another M Fusion Corruption Prime metroid 1 Hunters. of course , at this point, Another M is my best experience.Basically, if i played Prime in NOW for the first time i wouldnt like it as i did in 2k3. However, another M for 2k10 is not as wow", although is pretty wowish. Dunno if i make me clear. Besides the wow features, my favorite style of metroid is fast paced and action packed, opposed as more exploration centric, hence my order.
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
nice to see some people giving another M some deserved love. It has crazy fun combat and intriguing story that keeps me wanting more.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Litchie

[QUOTE="Litchie"]

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime 3

Bobbles

Thank you.

Totally need to play through that game.. It's a remake of the first, If I've understood correctly. Since I never cared much for the NES game, playing a much upgraded version of that would be awesome.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chex81

[QUOTE="Bobbles"]

[QUOTE="Litchie"]

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime 3

Litchie

Thank you.

Totally need to play through that game.. It's a remake of the first, If I've understood correctly. Since I never cared much for the NES game, playing a much upgraded version of that would be awesome.

going by your list and metroid enjoyment factor, Zero Mission is a MUST. Its a great remake with changes/additions that suit the story nicely.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darth-Samus

wow, shocked by how many put Prime 2 at the bottom of their list...heres my personal list

• Prime 1
  • Prime 2
  • Super Metroid
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Metroid: ZM
  • Prime 3
  • Metroid
  • Metroid Hunters
  • Metroid II
  • Metroid Pinball (can that really count lol)

Other M wont be ranked until i finish it once...but as of this moment, its lingering between super metroid and fusion

chex81

See in my experience I was always under the impression that most people found Echoes to be one of their least favorite. Which was always sad to me. But now that Other M has come out a lot of people out of nowhere have been claiming they love it! It's about time.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Darth-Samus

nice to see some people giving another M some deserved love. It has crazy fun combat and intriguing story that keeps me wanting more.intro94

Amen! In typical Metroid fashion ot's one of my top ten all time. AT 79% currently.