How do you hook up surround sound to your Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

I have a Wii and I'm trying to hook it up to my surround sound. It plays the sounds but I can't get any video. I have component cables and I hooked them up to my Sony Home Theatre system. I got my Xbox 360 to work, but I use a digital Output cordhooked to my component cable box thingand hooked the cables themselves to the TV. I hooked my Wii component cables to the slots on my receiver which are the same colour. I get sound from the speakers, but no picture form the TV. Can you help me?

Captain_SOAP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Captain_SOAP_
Member since 2009 • 542 Posts

whats next halo 4 on the wii :P

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Hook the Red, Green, Blue Cables into the TV and the Red and White audio cables to your receiver.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

The Wii is not capable dude.

Wiishy
No, wii is perfectly capable, almost every Wii and even Gamecube game has Dolby Pro Logic 2.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
[QUOTE="2-10-08"][QUOTE="Wiishy"]

No, wii is perfectly capable, almost every Wii and even Gamecube game has Dolby Pro Logic 2.

Pro Logic 2 is not true surround sound.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
[QUOTE="2-10-08"][QUOTE="Wiishy"]

Marka1700

Pro Logic 2 is not true surround sound.

Has nothing to do with this topic or his problem, do you have components from the receiver going to the TV? Or does your receiver convert it and send it through HDMI? You may have to change some input settings on your receiver to tell it to look for the component in.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
thanks guys, but it can't work with component cables, only the normal cables cuz the components cables can't seperate too far from the normal red+ white ones.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Plug the component into your tv then have audio out from your TV go into your reciever then connect ur reciever to your Speakers. you should no have 480p & surround sound (make sure to set that in your wii aswell as yoru reciever). This is how i do it. heres a diagram just incase

Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts

Unless your receiver also handles the video, the component cables should go into your TV. Plug all five component cables into the respective slots in the TV.

Do you have your TV (the TV itself, not the other devices) hooked up to the receiver? If not, use cinch cables to feed the receiver the TV's (and with it, the Wii's) Stereo signal, choose "Pro Logic II" on your receiver (if it supports it), and you will have what in Wii terms is called "surround sound".

Edit: Yes, follow painguy's paint image. :D

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
[QUOTE="Marka1700"] Pro Logic 2 is not true surround sound.

while this is true, it's much better then 2 channel stereo. If your system is capable of it you'll enjoy using it.
Itsthetruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Itsthetruth
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

@painguy1: Best diagram ever! :)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Well,if you do it painguy1's way,you might get only 2channel sound since the tv might output that
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 teknic1200
Well,if you do it painguy1's way,you might get only 2channel sound since the tv might output thatMonsieurX
Dolby surround is handled by the frequency in the sound. It will take that two channel input and the dolby receiver can then spread the sound to the appropriate speakers based on the frequency of the sound wave. This is why: [QUOTE="Marka1700"] Pro Logic 2 is not true surround sound.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

thanks guys, but it can't work with component cables, only the normal cables cuz the components cables can't seperate too far from the normal red+ white ones.FPS1337
You can beat this in two different ways.

1. take a wire cutter, and carefully chop the plastic piece where the five cables separate, then you can split the audio cables from the video cables as far back as needed.

2. go to radio shack, and buy extensions for the audio cables.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 painguy1

@painguy1: Best diagram ever! Itsthetruth

lol thx i know right? look at those vivid colors haha

Well,if you do it painguy1's way,you might get only 2channel sound since the tv might output thatMonsieurX

I get 4 channel audio. i dont mean to attack you in anyway, im just pointing something out. I set my reciever to surround then my wii to surround aswell. I have 2 speaker wires going into the reciever & another two going into the surround sound designated inputs.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Might work for you,but not all tv's will carry out dolby audio
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
This thread reminded me that I have to pick up my component cables now that I've went and withdrew some money from my account. I even bookmarked it about these component cables selling for only $6. Thanks man :D
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 painguy1

Might work for you,but not all tv's will carry out dolby audioMonsieurX

yeah i guess so. hey TC what TV do you have?

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 teknic1200
Might work for you,but not all tv's will carry out dolby audioMonsieurX
you are wrong. dolby is always 2 channel sound. dolby is done basically with EQ tricks to send certain frequencies to each speaker. your receiver needs to be dolby enabled, and most are as it's been around 30+ years.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Plug the component into your tv then have audio out from your TV go into your reciever then connect ur reciever to your Speakers. you should no have 480p & surround sound (make sure to set that in your wii aswell as yoru reciever). This is how i do it. heres a diagram just incase

painguy1

That's how I got mine hooked up. You can of course also use a coupler hook it to the red and white audio cables and run an extentsion to your receiver too.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 painguy1

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Might work for you,but not all tv's will carry out dolby audioteknic1200
you are wrong. dolby is always 2 channel sound. dolby is done basically with EQ tricks to send certain frequencies to each speaker. your receiver needs to be dolby enabled, and most are as it's been around 30+ years.

YESSS that means im right hahah:lol:

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 teknic1200

[QUOTE="teknic1200"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Might work for you,but not all tv's will carry out dolby audiopainguy1

YESSS that means im right hahah:lol:

you are correct painguy1, and your picture is indeed how my set is hooked up. the only way your set wouldn't pass "dolby" is if it was either 1 channel out or simply had not outputs, and in 2009 both of those scenarios are highly unlikely. dolby enabled equipment takes a simple 2 channel sound and is able to create a surround sound effect by spreading different frequencies to different speakers. it's handled when they master the audio to work as dolby surround sound
Dbosox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dbosox
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi, I need some assistance and I hope you can assist. I am surrently searching for the proper method to allow myself to have surround sound with the Wii. I currently have component cables going from the TV to the wII. My componets (directv/dvd players ) going directly to the TV HDMI and the red/ white cables going to the receiver for sound . What do I need to do to have the surround sound, it appears I have to some type of splitting but am unsure of exactly waht to do-- could you assist as obviously this stuff is not my strong suit-- thanks so much