How do I make my Wii HD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonicBooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 SonicBooom
Member since 2006 • 443 Posts
I have to buy component cables to get the best picture and sound quality with my Wii on my new HD TV (if I get one), right? Is there a big difference in quality, compared to using the cables that come in the box? Will it be at 480p? Do I have to have a HD TV to use component cables? Am I right in saying that the component cables don't make the Wii true high definition, and that the Xbox 360 and PS3 can use the HDMI connection which is true HD? I hope someone can clear this up for me...
Uchiha_madara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Uchiha_madara
Member since 2006 • 929 Posts
If u didnt notice.. Wii is not supposed to be high definition
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts
The Wii has no HD support.  But if you buy the component cables it will improve the image on the screen.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
The Wii's highest output is 480p
Because no one bothers to research anything they think that's HD.

You can get component cables for 480p output on your TV but that's the best it'll do.
Component cables ARE used for HD signals but for true 1080p (which only the PS3 can output as a native signal) you need an HDMI cable.
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 DGM09
Member since 2003 • 432 Posts
The Wii has EDTV, not HDTV. HDTV is 720p and up.
Do get a component cable if your TV supports it (either refer to the manual or look at the back of your TV for five cable inputs).

SonicBooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SonicBooom
Okay thanks... So the Wii is Enhanced Definition not HD, and 480p. I'll have to get the component cables :) I'm upgrading my 21" 3:4 TV to a 32" widescreen HDTV in a few days.
FreddieGermany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FreddieGermany
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
The Wii has EDTV, not HDTV. HDTV is 720p and up.
Do get a component cable if your TV supports it (either refer to the manual or look at the back of your TV for five cable inputs).

CerealEater

you dont know wat your talkin about cuz mostly all hdtvs support progressive scan and thats 480p

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="CerealEater"]The Wii has EDTV, not HDTV. HDTV is 720p and up.

FreddieGermany

you dont know wat your talkin about cuz mostly all hdtvs support progressive scan and thats 480p

Yes but you can also get component cables if you don't have an HDTV. Just because an HDTV can support 480p doesn't make it HD
v3n0m111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 v3n0m111
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts
yeah just dont try it.
SonicBooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SonicBooom
[QUOTE="CerealEater"]The Wii has EDTV, not HDTV. HDTV is 720p and up.

FreddieGermany

Go to here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDTV It explains the difference between HDTV and EDTV. EDTV is a lesser version of HDTV. You get STANDARD, ENHANCED and HIGH DEFINITION TV, and for most purposes EDTV and HDTV are considered in the same group, so wikipedia says.
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DGM09
Member since 2003 • 432 Posts
[QUOTE="FreddieGermany"][QUOTE="CerealEater"]The Wii has EDTV, not HDTV. HDTV is 720p and up.

SonicBooom

Go to here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDTV It explains the difference between HDTV and EDTV. EDTV is a lesser version of HDTV. You get STANDARD, ENHANCED and HIGH DEFINITION TV, and for most purposes EDTV and HDTV are considered in the same group, so wikipedia says.

Lmao Self-ownage is downright hilarious.
I do tend to call EDTV "HDTV", but the former is simply more correct.
I'm upgrading to an LCD capable of 720p (has to be small so it's not too big for my room). Already got the cables and everything.
It definitely improves image quality. You'll notice the jaggies more, but it'll look much better.