How can you tell when your DS battery is about to die?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

msharki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 msharki
Member since 2007 • 1011 Posts

I'm not trying to start a system war here, but on my PSP i can check my battery at any time and even if it dies while playing a game I charge it and turn it right back on to where I was. Every time my wife or I are playing the DS we never know how much battery there is (and there doesn't seem to be a way to check) so the battery dies and the game is lost. So, is there a way to check the battery either before starting a game or during a game?

_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
When the green power light turns to red, that means that the battery is running low.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts
Yeah, when it turns red, it normally takes 30-60 mins to officially die. So I try not to do anything significant that I would be mad if i lost (if it suddenly died on me)
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts
I personally hate my PSP 3000's battery considering the life is so short. So far my DS's battery is pretty good, but you still have to charge it every day or two.
But the PSP 3000's battery has to be charged every 5-6 hours. And I wish the battery light would change colour like the DS because you get no warning.
Though it also has its ups that it powersaves. And even though the DS gives you 30-60 minutes, powersaves are pretty great.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

I personally hate my PSP 3000's battery considering the life is so short. So far my DS's battery is pretty good, but you still have to charge it every day or two.
But the PSP 3000's battery has to be charged every 5-6 hours. And I wish the battery light would change colour like the DS because you get no warning.
Though it also has its ups that it powersaves. And even though the DS gives you 30-60 minutes, powersaves are pretty great.riariases

Press the Home button, it shows a battery icon on the top right. Secondly, if it does die out, it'll flash telling you the battery is dead and go into sleep mode. So if you're quick enough, you won't lose your saves.

And to see if the DS battery is dying, is based off of the color of the light.

Sophia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Sophia
Member since 2003 • 567 Posts

I'm not trying to start a system war here, but on my PSP i can check my battery at any time and even if it dies while playing a game I charge it and turn it right back on to where I was. Every time my wife or I are playing the DS we never know how much battery there is (and there doesn't seem to be a way to check) so the battery dies and the game is lost. So, is there a way to check the battery either before starting a game or during a game?

msharki

When you boot up the DS and get to the screen where you have the clock and calendar, the top right icon is your battery life.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
Top right shows the battery life of the DS and also if you have The World Ends With You the battery logo in the corner shows your battery life as well.
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
Green light- Good Red light-Bad
Jon_To_The_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Jon_To_The_C
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts
I won't repeat the obvious answer, but if you want your battery to last longer, turn down the screen brightness. (That is if you have a Lite.) Having it at max-brightness will actually decrease the battery life by a couple hours.
gwarlito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 gwarlito
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
green power light turns to red, and depending on your brightness setting, you have at least 10 minutes before shutdown
GamevsWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 GamevsWolf
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
uhh when the power light thingo that is usually green goes red and when u charge it ..it goes orange
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 riariases
Yeah but when I get into a game, i'm not focusing on the battery power and I don't wanna keep checking on it. And I know it goes into sleep mode. Thats what a powersave is. Plus someone already said the color changes. I don't mean to be rude but you're repeating things other people said.
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 riariases
green power light turns to red, and depending on your brightness setting, you have at least 10 minutes before shutdowngwarlito
No, the green power light DOES turn red but you have 30-60 minutes before it dies. The so basically when the battery is at 10% it will tell you.
Me2nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Me2nice
Member since 2008 • 459 Posts

Yeah, when it turns red, it normally takes 30-60 mins to officially die. So I try not to do anything significant that I would be mad if i lost (if it suddenly died on me)awssk8er716

I would say 10-20min until it dies. Either way, you should do as I do and always keep it charged while playing. Has yet to die on me once I started doing that.

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
Yeah, when it turns red, it normally takes 30-60 mins to officially die. So I try not to do anything significant that I would be mad if i lost (if it suddenly died on me)awssk8er716
I tested it, I got 1 hour a full volume and 3rd brightest setting. (I usually never use max volume, and 2nd brightest setting) I was also disappointed that it doesn't have a detailed indication. When you turn on your DS on the menu it has a battery bar, but it's either always full or empty. Nothing in between.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

msharki

....the green light on the side of your DS turns red...isn't the PSP like that also? 0.o

Tailscoolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Tailscoolio
Member since 2006 • 443 Posts
I don't really like the way the DS tells you how much power you have, they even have a little icon on the menu of a battery. But it only changes when the power light turns red, which means its useless... personally, i'd like a way to tell exactly how much power is left in the battery... :(
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Master-Thief-09
Maybe the DSi does this? :P
[QUOTE="msharki"]

magitekk

....the green light on the side of your DS turns red...isn't the PSP like that also? 0.o

Not really, it is green, then flashes orange when about to go off, but other than that you get a 3 bar indication on the menu (and you can see it by pressing the home button during a game)
codeman5533

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 codeman5533
Member since 2005 • 186 Posts
i hate the battery indicator on ds the red and green are to similiar in color to me so i usually never ko when its about to die hopefully when the new ds comes out there is a better way to tell like 1-100% based thing
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master-Thief-09
i hate the battery indicator on ds the red and green are to similiar in color to me so i usually never ko when its about to die hopefully when the new ds comes out there is a better way to tell like 1-100% based thing codeman5533
Never thought about colour blind people. If they find it similar then yeah, it could go unnoticed, then "WTF I didn't save my game!"
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts
[QUOTE="codeman5533"]i hate the battery indicator on ds the red and green are to similiar in color to me so i usually never ko when its about to die hopefully when the new ds comes out there is a better way to tell like 1-100% based thing Master-Thief-09
Never thought about colour blind people. If they find it similar then yeah, it could go unnoticed, then "WTF I didn't save my game!"

He has some kind of problem to see red ("oranged") and green colors? Ya know... Disgaea has a option that it tells you in the screen when the battery is getting empty... almost the same thing that a cellphone does, they could add this to other games as well.
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Master-Thief-09
[QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"][QUOTE="codeman5533"]i hate the battery indicator on ds the red and green are to similiar in color to me so i usually never ko when its about to die hopefully when the new ds comes out there is a better way to tell like 1-100% based thing meiaman

He has some kind of problem to see red ("oranged") and green colors? Ya know... Disgaea has a option that it tells you in the screen when the battery is getting empty... almost the same thing that a cellphone does, they could add this to other games as well.

That's what he said. Yeah, that must be some extreme colour blindness but w/e.
wowprincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wowprincess
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Its true. My boyfreind is colour blind and can't tell the difference between red and green so he is constantly asking me if the battery is dying. You may think it's some kind of "extreme" but many men are colour blind so you just sound ignorant "w/e"
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

[QUOTE="meiaman"][QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"] Never thought about colour blind people. If they find it similar then yeah, it could go unnoticed, then "WTF I didn't save my game!"Master-Thief-09

That's what he said. Yeah, that must be some extreme colour blindness but w/e.

Colour blindness comes in different ways.

I know a couple of people that can't see the difference between red and green. It's not rare to have that problem if you are colour blind.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

Maybe the DSi does this? :P [QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="msharki"]

Master-Thief-09

Not really, it is green, then flashes orange when about to go off, but other than that you get a 3 bar indication on the menu (and you can see it by pressing the home button during a game)

The battery indicator on the DSi menu is more helpful, since it has 4 bars kind of like a cell phone. I think instead of a soft reset they should have brought you to an Exit? menu with the time and battery. Similar to the PSP yes, but the PSP didn't exactly invent all it's traits.

ninjaboyjnw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ninjaboyjnw
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Also, unfortunatley the battery indicator in the world ends with you doesn't tell how much battery power your ds has left, it tells how much patience your partner has in there "battery" with you. The more you run away from battles the angrier your partner gets and the lower your battery goes...

Avatar image for theholyrevenger
theholyrevenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theholyrevenger
Member since 2009 • 153 Posts

Hm, i have a question though it's maybe out of the topic:Should i play my DS while charging the batterry, i heard that if i do so it could reduce your batterry life but i cant see this warnings in the DS manual,so is there anyone know about this please tell me i'm very appreciate

greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts

Hm, i have a question though it's maybe out of the topic:Should i play my DS while charging the batterry, i heard that if i do so it could reduce your batterry life but i cant see this warnings in the DS manual,so is there anyone know about this please tell me i'm very appreciate

theholyrevenger
yes... in all Li-ion batteries, which most devices use now... PSP, iPod, DS, cellphones, you can do that... i think Apple has some kind of manual for that type of battery, and what you could and shouldn't do to it... try googling it...
ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

[QUOTE="theholyrevenger"]

greenarcher02

yes... in all Li-ion batteries, which most devices use now... PSP, iPod, DS, cellphones, you can do that... i think Apple has some kind of manual for that type of battery, and what you could and shouldn't do to it... try googling it...

Yup totally safe, I second this.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#30 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

Whenever the light turns red i go into a saving rampage b/c its happened to me a lot in my life where i lose stuff.

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts
if it turns red i just save and connect charger
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

With the DS Lite, you only know when you have an hour left (when the light turns red). With the DSi, the battery is critical when it starts flashing red.

Reindeary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Reindeary
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I finally noticed,after I upgraded to my DSi,lol. But on the main menu screen,when you turn on the DS and can pick pictochat,settings,DS game,etc on the top there is a tiny little battery with bars in it (: Low bars means dying.