High Voltage Software Talks Again ..

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Games like Zack and Wiki, Madworld, De Blob and Deadly Creatures all got their hype from fans, not the developers (can't say the same about No More Heroes). Those games gained popularity because they looked cool, not because the developer told us that they were making cool games. That's what I mean by games speaking for themselves.

You're right that none of those games sold very well, but that has nothing to do with the developer's generation of hype pre-release.... Gamers did enough of that themselves, and they still didn't sell well. That's more likely due to a lack of real advertisement than anything else (and in the case of Zack and Wiki, a lack of audience focus).

My question remains.... I wonder if The Conduit would've gotten the same amount of attention from Wii owners if High Voltage hadn't been so outspoken about their opinion of the state of the Wii and what they thought Wii gamers really wanted. If the game had been allowed to speak for itself, would it have had a Zack and Wiki or Madworld effect, where gamers sought to spread the word about this awesome-looking game coming out?

In my opinion, I think it would have. But there wouldn't have been the mass exaggeration about its graphics nor the mass negativity that arose in response. My point is that the game could've gained attention without the dev talking it up to the point they did, and it would've gotten a much better type of attention..... A type of attention that's based more on the game than on what the dev says about it.

SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
Developers hype their games, what else is new?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#53 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Developers hype their games, what else is new?SMR-Venom
There is a difference between hyping a game up and telling people why they should be excited for it.. and telling people they're doing the best thing on that platform and everyone else basically sucks, when it clearly, isn't true. They've let this wee little bit of fame get to their heads a bitttttt too much.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Games like Zack and Wiki, Madworld, De Blob and Deadly Creatures all got their hype from fans, not the developers (can't say the same about No More Heroes). Those games gained popularity because they looked cool, not because the developer told us that they were making cool games. That's what I mean by games speaking for themselves.

You're right that none of those games sold very well, but that has nothing to do with the developer's generation of hype pre-release.... Gamers did enough of that themselves, and they still didn't sell well. That's more likely due to a lack of real advertisement than anything else (and in the case of Zack and Wiki, a lack of audience focus).

My question remains.... I wonder if The Conduit would've gotten the same amount of attention from Wii owners if High Voltage hadn't been so outspoken about their opinion of the state of the Wii and what they thought Wii gamers really wanted. If the game had been allowed to speak for itself, would it have had a Zack and Wiki or Madworld effect, where gamers sought to spread the word about this awesome-looking game coming out?

In my opinion, I think it would have. But there wouldn't have been the mass exaggeration about its graphics nor the mass negativity that arose in response. My point is that the game could've gained attention without the dev talking it up to the point they did, and it would've gotten a much better type of attention..... A type of attention that's based more on the game than on what the dev says about it.

Most of the attention is fine, save for the attention from four or five users that over exaggerate everything HVS does. Mosty of the hate aimed at HVS is just plain childish. Like I said earlier, the third parties are just starting to care about the Wii and you will see them hype their products more and more just like they do for their games on the PS3 and 360. How are The Conduits graphics exaggerated?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 haziqonfire

Most of the attention is fine, save for the attention from four or five users that over exaggerate everything HVS does. Mosty of the hate aimed at HVS is just plain childish. Like I said earlier, the third parties are just starting to care about the Wii and you will see them hype their products more and more just like they do for their games on the PS3 and 360. How are The Conduits graphics exaggerated?psychobrew

Its not childish hate. I think its justified. If they talk big - they ought to show it - which they haven't done really.

And that last thing you said .. is that a serious question? Really?

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
Its not childish hate. I think its justified. If they talk big - they ought to show it - which they haven't done really.Haziqonfire
What big talk have they exhibited here that justifies three pages of tl;dr tirades from various members of this community? Honestly, what part of that quote is so bloody controversial? Everything they said is factual.
DS_Lightning21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 DS_Lightning21
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts

I agree that the motion controls for Wii are perfect for FPSs. When you hold a gun in real life, you don't use dual-analog-sticks or keyboard-and-mouse. You hold a gun, point it at the target, and pull the trigger.

The more accurate to real life the controls are for any game, the easier it is to pick-up-and-play. No need to retrain gamers "how to walk" all over again. The Conduit is going to be the game that demonstrates how much better the Wii controls can be for FPSs. Metroid Prime 3 set the bar for excellent FPS controls on the Wii, and hopefully The Conduit will raise it higher. And hopefully future FPS games like Red Steel 2 will learn from these improvements and continue to innovate FPS controls on the Wii.

The Wii is truly making good progress towards perfecting FPS controls. Hopefully this will lead to more first-person games that aren't limited to just shooters. And with WiiMotionPlus, it's just going to get better from here on out.

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="SMR-Venom"]Developers hype their games, what else is new?Haziqonfire
There is a difference between hyping a game up and telling people why they should be excited for it.. and telling people they're doing the best thing on that platform and everyone else basically sucks, when it clearly, isn't true. They've let this wee little bit of fame get to their heads a bitttttt too much.

funny I don't remember them saying "we are the only thing worth buying on the wii, everything else is trash" no they've built an engine and they're showing it off. I'm not going to bash them for excelling because it makes everyone else look bad
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 haziqonfire

What big talk have they exhibited here that justifies three pages of tl;dr tirades from various members of this community? Honestly, what part of that quote is so bloody controversial? Everything they said is factual.clicketyclick

The part where they show their little bit of fame is getting to their heads. It bothers me and they need a reality check.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] What big talk have they exhibited here that justifies three pages of tl;dr tirades from various members of this community? Honestly, what part of that quote is so bloody controversial? Everything they said is factual.Haziqonfire

The part where they show their little bit of fame is getting to their heads. It bothers me and they need a reality check.

What part is that, pray tell?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 haziqonfire

funny I don't remember them saying "we are the only thing worth buying on the wii, everything else is trash" no they've built an engine and they're showing it off. I'm not going to bash them for excelling because it makes everyone else look badsnowman6251

"Most of the games on the Wii look like crap. We want to change that, so we've invested heavily in our Wii tech over the past year. We have real-time normal mapping, reflection and refraction, post process full screen effects, real-time shadows, projected lights and textures, specularity and fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, interactive water, morphing, and much more all running with a rock solid frame rate on the Wii. Our goal is to be the most technically innovative Wii developer on the planet."

That one part alone pretty much says that most titles released on the console look like crap - yet - out of their three titles, I can only call one decent looking for the console, the other having a lack of some decent art and the other looking like a game that has a bit too much layering of sand/dust all over the place.

I mean I think I was one of the few who actually said "wait, this doesn't look anything like a 360/PS3 game" - while a lot of people were going nuts by the claim's HVS we're making on IGN.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 JordanElek

How are The Conduits graphics exaggerated?psychobrew
Well....

Also, were you around GS when the game was first announced?

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 snowman6251

[QUOTE="snowman6251"]funny I don't remember them saying "we are the only thing worth buying on the wii, everything else is trash" no they've built an engine and they're showing it off. I'm not going to bash them for excelling because it makes everyone else look badHaziqonfire

"Most of the games on the Wii look like crap. We want to change that, so we've invested heavily in our Wii tech over the past year. We have real-time normal mapping, reflection and refraction, post process full screen effects, real-time shadows, projected lights and textures, specularity and fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, interactive water, morphing, and much more all running with a rock solid frame rate on the Wii. Our goal is to be the most technically innovative Wii developer on the planet."

That one part alone pretty much says that most titles released on the console look like crap - yet - out of their three titles, I can only call one decent looking for the console, the other having a lack of some decent art and the other looking like a game that has a bit too much layering of sand/dust all over the place.

I mean I think I was one of the few who actually said "wait, this doesn't look anything like a 360/PS3 game" - while a lot of people were going nuts by the claim's HVS we're making on IGN.

lets be honest though. Between all of ubisoft's imagine babyz games and other games of that nature, which are a large percentage of the wii's library, they do in fact look like crap. I think all of their titles look decent if not magnificent as far as the wii is concerned. Maybe not from an artistic standpoint which is really left up to opinion but technically, yeah the graphics are very good. You can harp away all you want about how ripping off 300 isn't good art direction making the graphics lack luster but technically, the graphics are very good. The textures on the shield and boots. The way the light reflects off objects. For the wii its all done very well. and sure it doesn't look like a 360 game, no game on the wii really does, but HVS's games are a lot closer than a majority of the rest of the wii's library. As for the rest of the quote you pulled, that's just stating facts about their engine. They built an engine that does all those things. They're legit claims. They also said "Our goal is to be the most technically innovative wii developer on the planet". they didn't say they were although I certainly think they are at least from the 3rd party developers.
DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
[QUOTE="DaViD_99"][QUOTE="shoryuken_"]

My biggest problem with HvS is that they lack any sense of creativity.

snowman6251
This. Game i am interested in is that zombie mexican zoo game and its seemed to be canned.

animals de la muerte and yes it looked hilarious it was supposed to be wiiware but the file was too big. They're either massively expanding it for disk release or they canned it and I'm honestly not sure which. I hope to see it in stores though as it looked very fun and even funnier

Yeah that is probably the one game I actually was pretty excited for. Little Mexican Kids in a zoo with a bunch of zombie animals. Win win. But then they seemed to put it off and make a gladiator game. Which i agree with name i cant remember who said they got ideas from 300, and thought that blood and crap was reason it was awesome. Which it wasn't, it just added to it. Gladiator looks average, a little less then average while the Grinder seems to be better. I am not excited for Conduit at all though, I have too many shooters for 360.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 psychobrew

[QUOTE="psychobrew"]How are The Conduits graphics exaggerated?JordanElek

Well....

Also, were you around GS when the game was first announced?

LOL. OK. So the hype is working. While I can understand that some people don't like the art style, what game would you say has better technical graphics? No, I wasn't around until december.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"] What big talk have they exhibited here that justifies three pages of tl;dr tirades from various members of this community? Honestly, what part of that quote is so bloody controversial? Everything they said is factual.Haziqonfire

Seriously, with all the posting you do on HVS, what does it matter to you? Does it hurt you? Does it irritate you that they are developing a mainstream game instead of some niche title? Honestly don't understand how someone canrant over the same burned out arguement:-/ For all the good they are doing for the genre on the Wii, all you can focus on is that they are building up their product?:roll:

If your not interested... ignore it? The whole "talk" discussion has been run in circles so many timeseverydiscussion is a copy/paste of the last one.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 psychobrew

Haziqonfire

How do you explainall the previews that state The Conduit looks like an early 360 game or the news reports where the authors mistook The Conduit fora 360 game at first?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 haziqonfire

How do you explainall the previews that state The Conduit looks like an early 360 game or the news reports where the authors mistook The Conduit fora 360 game at first?

psychobrew

Thats all good and well. I don't need someone telling me how great a game looks - I can judge for myself.

The Conduit looks nothing like a PS3/360 title - even from the day it was announced I thought it was a joke claim, I mean visually, none of their games look like PS3/360 titles.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 clicketyclick
You still haven't explained what part of what they said here is wrong. If you want to talk about The Conduit, keep it to the sticky, man. ;)
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

JordanElek

Ands that why developers hype thier games because clearly fan hype alone doesn't equal the big bucks and at the end of the day thats whats important. Personally I think fans would have hyped The Conduit anyway simply because its tech is above and beyond most 3rd party developers and their game is "teh hardcorez" :\ But I doubt it would have seen much commercial success and thats the most important thing especially for a small developer who financed this thing themselves, a bomb here probably would have put them in a bad spot. And the mass exaggeration would have happened regardless, the game looks really good visually, it looks better than a large portion of Wii games, though thats not so hard to pull off. I mean Nintendo hyped Galaxy but they never hyped the graphics as 360 like but how often on here did you hear people say that? People just like to hype things, whether they get a nudge from publishers or the media or the just come up with it themselves, the hype train will always be running. And just like Red Steel before it, when there are a number of people hyping a game there is seemingly an equal number who make it their business to break it down. I think even if The Conduit wasn't advertising on television the game would sell well because HVS did a good job of pimping it, thats what your suppose to do. All those games you mentioned, the developers and publishers made the mistake of letting the game sell on its own merit. yeah some gamers will find it and love it, but if you don't get it out its not going to sell, especially a new IP because Nintendo fans are so fickled about those.

I think HVS has made the right decision to keep The Conduit in the front of peoples minds, I mean when you saw like the 3 articles about De Blob on IGN and watched some vids you think "h that looks like fun, but after two weeks of EA, Activision and Ubisoft stuffing there new things down your throat, games like that tend to be forgotten by the masses. So HVS likely couldn't afford to have The Conduit forgotten and I don't blame them for playing the big boys game, alot of smaler good games go completely unnoticed. Simply put it can look good for a moment, but when most see it sitting on the shelf next to that Madden title that EA had been shoving in thier face for the last 3 months, well you know how it usually goes. If you want to hang in there you have to play the game.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#71 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I understand HVS is all talk and no show (yet) but cmon, they're one of the only 3rd party devs that actually care for the little white box. You don't see the others giving much of a damn. I mean look at Capcom! They support the Wii but what are they really doing? porting games over and over again. Admittedly, I bought a couple of their ports but the only exclusive Wii game by them that I can think of is the Umbrella Chronicles. IMO, not much :? Point is, let's see how well the Conduit will do first shall we? before we start bashing the developer. Other 3rd party devs don't really give a damn but they get enough love.
Itsthetruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Itsthetruth
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

At least noone can say that HVS is going unnoticed :)

Ok, they have big mouths considering none of their "awesome" games is out yet for the players to judge them, but i've seen representatives and PRs from other companies doing the same thing and noone complains.

Sony respresentatives also keep saying they're number one this generation. Peter Molyneux is also pretty arrogant talking about his titles and everyone knows "Black and White" and "Fable 1" weren't as revolutionary as he had advertised it. The guys from Epic games also never said that artistcly Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War look the same. I give them the same credability as a car salesman!

They're trying to sell their product, do you expect them to do it saying it will be a "standard" game :question:

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 JordanElek

LOL. OK. So the hype is working. While I can understand that some people don't like the art style, what game would you say has better technical graphics?psychobrew
The only thing that sticks out to me about the graphics is the shininess. All of the shiny things look pretty good. But at the same time, it makes them stick out and just look strange. Whenever I watch a Conduit video, I get the feeling that certain effects were used just because they could. Mario Galaxy uses a shiny effect as well on some of the enemies and the planet surfaces, but it always seems fitting. They could've made more things look shiny, but that wouldn't make it look good. This is why complaints about "art direction" are valid. All the graphical effects in the world can still look ugly if they aren't used well.

So yes, The Conduit probably has the most technically proficient graphical features, but they just aren't used very well. Sacrifices needed to be made in other areas of the visuals to make those effects work (the TREES), and the end result isn't a beautiful game. I'll take Metroid Prime's slightly less proficient but much better-looking style, especially since it flows at 60fps to allow for a smoother experience.

No, I wasn't around until december.psychobrew

Then you missed the early reactions to HVS... not just The Conduit, but Gyrostarr and Animales de la Muerte too. Maybe reading my blog entry about the subject at the time will give you an idea of what the general atmosphere was. I honestly thought that everyone must be seeing things that I couldn't, because none of the games looked nearly as amazing as HVS, IGN, and other people were saying. And now we've seen that Gyrostarr was simply mediocre. I backed off from the whole "shady deal" thing between IGN and HVS almost immediately, but there seemed to be no other good explanation of why IGN would talk up games so much when they just looked average.

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 snowman6251

[QUOTE="psychobrew"]LOL. OK. So the hype is working. While I can understand that some people don't like the art style, what game would you say has better technical graphics?JordanElek

The only thing that sticks out to me about the graphics is the shininess. All of the shiny things look pretty good. But at the same time, it makes them stick out and just look strange. Whenever I watch a Conduit video, I get the feeling that certain effects were used just because they could. Mario Galaxy uses a shiny effect as well on some of the enemies and the planet surfaces, but it always seems fitting. They could've made more things look shiny, but that wouldn't make it look good. This is why complaints about "art direction" are valid. All the graphical effects in the world can still look ugly if they aren't used well.

So yes, The Conduit probably has the most technically proficient graphical features, but they just aren't used very well. Sacrifices needed to be made in other areas of the visuals to make those effects work (the TREES), and the end result isn't a beautiful game. I'll take Metroid Prime's slightly less proficient but much better-looking style, especially since it flows at 60fps to allow for a smoother experience.

No, I wasn't around until december.psychobrew

Then you missed the early reactions to HVS... not just The Conduit, but Gyrostarr and Animales de la Muerte too. Maybe reading my blog entry about the subject at the time will give you an idea of what the general atmosphere was. I honestly thought that everyone must be seeing things that I couldn't, because none of the games looked nearly as amazing as HVS, IGN, and other people were saying. And now we've seen that Gyrostarr was simply mediocre. I backed off from the whole "shady deal" thing between IGN and HVS almost immediately, but there seemed to be no other good explanation of why IGN would talk up games so much when they just looked average.

ever played halo 3? That game has shiny out the wazoo and no one seems to complain too much
striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 striking_
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

We get it, you don't like HVS or their art direction for that matter. Besides isn't this what they have been saying from the beginning when they started the Conduit, so its not like they have said anything new to really get up in arms about anyway.

Avatar image for 228623477423185005978085524869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 228623477423185005978085524869
Member since 2009 • 604 Posts

let's all follow these steps to make the world (and these forums) a better place to be:

step 1: wait a couple more days to actually play the game.

step 2: play it. pay close attention to all details. dissect the game.

step 3: if you liked it, go to step 4. if you hated it, go to step 5.

step 4: we gotta admit, man. they nailed it. kudos to HVS.

step 5: make a thread called "HVS: Biggest Losers Ever" and bash them to your heart's content.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 haziqonfire

ever played halo 3? That game has shiny out the wazoo and no one seems to complain too muchsnowman6251

It has those shine in areas that make sense - its different in The Conduit.

Its been better used in other HVS games from what I've seen, like The Grinder or Gladiator A.D.

I think HVS has made the right decision to keep The Conduit in the front of peoples minds, I mean when you saw like the 3 articles about De Blob on IGN and watched some vids you think "h that looks like fun, but after two weeks of EA, Activision and Ubisoft stuffing there new things down your throat, games like that tend to be forgotten by the masses.

Sepewrath

But .. De Blob was a success, it sold well - well enough to warrant itself future projects with that IP.

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 snowman6251

[QUOTE="snowman6251"]ever played halo 3? That game has shiny out the wazoo and no one seems to complain too muchHaziqonfire

It has those shine in areas that make sense - its different in The Conduit.

Its been better used in other HVS games from what I've seen, like The Grinder or Gladiator A.D.

I think HVS has made the right decision to keep The Conduit in the front of peoples minds, I mean when you saw like the 3 articles about De Blob on IGN and watched some vids you think "h that looks like fun, but after two weeks of EA, Activision and Ubisoft stuffing there new things down your throat, games like that tend to be forgotten by the masses.

Sepewrath

But .. De Blob was a success, it sold well - well enough to warrant itself future projects with that IP.

yes because of course sunlight would never grace the highly reflective armor worn by the characters... not to mention that half the bullets in the game are made from plasma which has since the beginning of time been represented as exploding fluorescent lava ._.
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#79 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
[QUOTE="SMR-Venom"]Developers hype their games, what else is new?Haziqonfire

Yeah, like I said developers hype games. I am not condoning it, but it's just the way it is... (See Peter Molyneaux)
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Awww, I always get to the hot topics on this forum too late :P

Anyway, I don't see the problem with them overhyping their game, every single relevelvant dev (which is why not many wii devs do this) overhype their games and they are well known. I see not why, a small dev with a horrid track record like HVS shouldn't hype their game when we all fully well know that they would have benn ignored if they didn't. They had to prove to the gamers that they were worth a look given their track record and they did that. Now their first real game is about to come out and all I here is the same constant people whining about ome comments. Why? Why are you dwelling on this so much? Why does it matter to you so much? All you do is give the issue credibilty by talking about it.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

[QUOTE="psychobrew"]

Haziqonfire

Thats all good and well. I don't need someone telling me how great a game looks - I can judge for myself.

And so can the rest of us. What's your point? I don't like any of the games HVS is making, nor do I like their art direction. But we have to give them credit where credit is due, they are TRYING to push the graphical limits of the Wii. I think that's commendable. If only ALL third parties had this mentality, we would see more highly graphical games. And as far as them saying "Most of the games on the Wii look like crap", it's kinda true. They aren't saying "All the best games on the Wii look like crap," you know... But when you count out every game that pushes the Wii's capabilities in the graphics department and compare that number to the number of games that don't... well... what you have is a completely true statement. You don't like their art direction. We get it. I agree that their art direction sucks. But that doesn't mean their work sucks. And it doesn't mean that their claims of pushing the Wii's hardware is invalid, either. Remember back when people used to say "Look at Metroid Prime 3!!! The graphics are awesome and it's an early Wii game... why can't third parties figure out how to make their games look that awesome?" Well, now a company has stepped up and tried. And all you want to do is blast them for it?
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

HVS is a third party developer who has actually learned how to take advantage of the wiis hardware compared to others. Nintendo being the creators of the system will always make better looking games than other developers because....well because its their system. I agree with you on that point that no game has yet surpassed the level of effects on galaxy, but once again thats a very high expectation from third party developers because they did not make the system themselves. We need to wait another year or so before we see a significant visual appeal in the wii.

DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="SMR-Venom"]Developers hype their games, what else is new?SMR-Venom

. Yeah, like I said developers hype games. I am not condoning it, but it's just the way it is... (See Peter Molyneaux)

Peter Molyneaux ruined Fable 2 for me. I was so excited for that game, but then I lost interest and bought Dead Space which is amazing and everyone should get it. But I remembered Fable 2 and got excited again, my friend let me borrow it for a while and I hated it. So dissapointed. Never going to believe he says. I agree that developers hyping their games isn't new, but I think people hyped about Conduit are going to be dissapointed.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 JordanElek

I see not why, a small dev with a horrid track record like HVS shouldn't hype their game when we all fully well know that they would have benn ignored if they didn't. They had to prove to the gamers that they were worth a look given their track record and they did that. Now their first real game is about to come out and all I here is the same constant people whining about ome comments. Why?ActicEdge
If the game matched their comments, you wouldn't be hearing so much about this. My point all along has been that an awesome game can speak for itself. I would MUCH rather have HVS create an amazing game that can speak for itself (whether they hype it as such or not) than create a mediocre game like they did. The problem is that this type of game had the potential to be amazing on the Wii, yet from all we've heard and seen, it's not amazing. It may be good, it may be above average for the Wii, but it could've been much more.

Like I said before, that's just disappointing. With all the excitement they created with their words, it would've been a much more satisfying situation for everyone if the game would've created that much excitement on its own merit. But to do that, HVS would've had to simply create a better game.

At this point, I've said all I can and heard all I can from every point of view, so all that's left to do is wait till the end of next week to hear some opinions about actual gameplay experience from gamers. I'll even give the game a rent, like I did with World at War, but I don't expect much. Maybe my low expectations will be a good thing, though, and it'll surprise me. We'll see.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 clicketyclick

I've counted 50 mentions (!) of The Conduit in this thread. That means that on average, 3 out of every 5 posts in this thread is talking about The Conduit.

What is this? No-one's allowed to discuss The Conduit outside of the sticky... except for some? All forumgoers are equal, but some are more equal than others?

If this isn't supposed to be a thread where people fight over The Conduit, then TC should stop bringing it up and get the thread back on track by justifying his claim that what they said as quoted in the OP is factually wrong, without reference to The Conduit or getting off-topic and turning this into a Vent-Your-Feelings-About-HVC-and-The-Conduit thread. TC has been invited twice now to explain himself and twice he has ignored the invitation, preferring instead to argue about The Conduit and talk about his feelings.

If TC doesn't want to justify his claims and just wants to continue talking about his personal feelings and when he'll give his respect to certain people, he should blog it. That's what other people have to do when they want to just vent their feelings rather than make a point.

If TC and others here want to continue to criticise HVS in an way that is entirely irrelevant to the quote by bringing up The Conduit, the thread should be locked. That's what happens to all other threads that devolve into arguments over The Conduit since there's a sticky.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Its THQ, nothing's gonna bankrupt them, if a game moves 300,000 units they can give it another shot. If a small developer puts a ton of money in and thats the numbers they get out, they will prbably be in trouble. However that game for the quality that it is should sell even better than it did, while lackluster games like Madden and Resident Evil ports that are "talked up" by the big publishers set records. But THQ even talked up the De Blob and Deadly Creatures just not nearly as much as they talk up Smackdown vs Raw or their other 1001 license products. The basic take home message that no one who is complaining seems to want to answere is why is not ok for HVS to practice business 101 and try and get their product out there, but it is ok for EA to talk about how great Dead Space Extraction will be or THQ say how much better SvR Wii will be this year than last year? Its pretty hypocritical. Either come on here everyday complaining about every publisher and developer or don't do it at all. Its like I said in another post, people don't have a problem with HVS doing what everybody does, they have a problem with the game and the company for whatever reason. Every hyped game has those who support it and those who want to tear it apart, for whatever thier reasons are. The more high profile the game is, the more it is subjected to this. These factions of people always spring up, it happened with Zelda, it happened with Brawl, it happened with Galaxy, it happens on the PS3 forums with MGS4, it happens on the 360 forums with Halo, I don't know why it happens, it just does. And last but not least "3rd party games on the Wii suck", "3rd party games on the Wii look like PS2 games" "There are no hardcore games on the Wii" where have I heard these things?...oh right I heard it here everyday for the last 3 years. So its ok for everyone here to say it, but its no ok for HVS to say what was infact true. We are just not getting a consisten influx of games that aren't just years old ports, or multiplat ports with PS2 graphics and waggle. And we have had like 4 quality FPS, so its not like thier lying, thats a big reason why I have no problem with what they say. You all said it first, you created this stupid distinction between hardcore and casual games so don't be mad that its used a hype tool now.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
[QUOTE="webbut"]

They're a small independent dev their just trying to market. Do you get angry at every E3 presenter or person in an interview who says that their game will be great?

Haziqonfire
No - but I get a little disturbed when a developer lets all this coverage get to their heads and they honestly think they're the best thing to happen to the Wii.

Compared to most of the other Non-Nintendo developers they are one of the best things. At least they are trying.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 JordanElek

The basic take home message that no one who is complaining seems to want to answere is why is not ok for HVS to practice business 101 and try and get their product out there, but it is ok for EA to talk about how great Dead Space Extraction will be or THQ say how much better SvR Wii will be this year than last year? Its pretty hypocritical. Either come on here everyday complaining about every publisher and developer or don't do it at all.Sepewrath

Well let's look at that then. Watch this interview with Nofsinger and Corso on The Conduit from last year, then watch this interview with Steve Papoutsis on Dead Space Extraction from this year. I don't want to put any bias into how you watch those, so I won't give my own comments yet. Both devs talk up their games and seem genuinely excited.

Edit:Also, those were just the first interviews I came across.... I wasn't trying to pick the best from Dead Space and the worst from The Conduit to show my point.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 psychobrew

What is this? No-one's allowed to discuss The Conduit outside of the sticky... except for some? All forumgoers are equal, but some are more equal than others?

clicketyclick

Too be fair, there are at least two Conduit threads outside the sticky that haven't been lock either, but I don't think anybody is foolish enough to believe this thread isn't primarily about the Conduit.

It doesn seem strange that a handfull ofpeople can get all talk banished to one thread though.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

psychobrew

Too be fair, there are at least two Conduit threads outside the sticky that haven't been lock either, but I don't think anybody is foolish enough to believe this thread isn't primarily about the Conduit.

It doesn seem strange that a handfull ofpeople can get all talk banished to one thread though.

Well, that other thread is more of a technical support issue, cuz the guy thinks his Wii is about to die and The Conduit will be the next game he plays, so he's just worried whether the next game he plays will blow up his Wii. It's more specific than just "a handful of people". It seems as though only people who are excited about The Conduit and want to talk about how much they anticipate it or the latest reviews, exchange friend codes, etc. get their topics locked. Comparatively, threads used to complain about HVS and The Conduit don't get locked...
MadSavage22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 MadSavage22
Member since 2009 • 587 Posts

WTH man...Im sick and tired of ppl comming across HVS and trying to knock them down a notch for being excited about there own project. These guys are the ppl MAKING there own games and you get on here and try and degrade them and there work just cause they are proud and excited over it. They had a goal to be the best hardcore game desginer on the Wii, and they are getting there and they are excited about it. Who are YOU to rain on there parade? If you dont like there games then dont buy em, other wise shut up! If I were them and I was seeing my creations come to life and have other ppl love them or be excited for them it would get me pumped up ya know....dang, ppl sometimes just dont understand...damn.

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Ummmm....if the Conduit is a bad game, it wont sell, and High Voltage is going to go out of business putting this much effort and money into catastrophes of games. IF that is what you believe, of course. So there's no need to sit here and complain about what High Voltage Software has said, because if what you think is true, the market is going to put them down anyhow. To me you guys seem more elitist than High Voltage is. You are essentially telling people what they think looks good is wrong, and you, of course having the superior eye for spotting 'art design', are correct. If people want to enjoy the Conduit...LET THEM. Its not going to bother you either way. It seems like to me you guys are on some weird campaign to get people to not buy these games.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 snowman6251

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]The basic take home message that no one who is complaining seems to want to answere is why is not ok for HVS to practice business 101 and try and get their product out there, but it is ok for EA to talk about how great Dead Space Extraction will be or THQ say how much better SvR Wii will be this year than last year? Its pretty hypocritical. Either come on here everyday complaining about every publisher and developer or don't do it at all.JordanElek

Well let's look at that then. Watch this interview with Nofsinger and Corso on The Conduit from last year, then watch this interview with Steve Papoutsis on Dead Space Extraction from this year. I don't want to put any bias into how you watch those, so I won't give my own comments yet. Both devs talk up their games and seem genuinely excited.

Edit:Also, those were just the first interviews I came across.... I wasn't trying to pick the best from Dead Space and the worst from The Conduit to show my point.

Here's the problem I have with this. First of all I don't think the HVS guys were arrogant at all. When they talked about other wii games they said they felt none of it was really being targeted at them, not that it was all crap. But here's the thing about the two interviews, they were asked different questions. The guy interviewing the HVS people asked them "why did you make this game and what are you trying to do with it" and they said "we own wii's, a lot of the games out there don't seem targeted for us, this is a game we'd like to play" which are all completely viable responses. The deadspace guy wasn't really asked about those things and didn't talk about them. They just said "why on rails" and he responds "we wanted to give it a different perspective because we feel its more immersive and fresh" which is also a fine response. The HVS guys never came out and said "everything on the wii is trash to we made the only non trash game out there" which is what most of the HVS haters in this thread seem to be ranting about. They weren't pompous or arrogant, in fact they seemed logical. No games out there that appeal to me? Oh wait I'm a game developer I'll make the game I want to play. What's wrong with that?
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Not every game can have an interesting art direction. I'm fine with their real world, government conspiracy, alien environment they've created with The Conduit. I don't want a dev just to slap on colorful cel-shading if it doesn't fit.

Image 39

Image 40

Image 44

Image 45

-

I think that's a good looking Wii game, especially from a smaller developer.

snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

The reason for me being excited about this game is not so much the game itself, but the Quantum 3 Engine.

People say thet the art direction is bad, well pick a game with a good art direction. Lets say Bioshock. It may have been impossible on Wii, but if 2K where to use the Quantum 3 Engine to build a Wii Version of Bioshock, It would look amazing. Not only because of the Techically impressive engine, but because Bioshock has a spectacular art direction.

If it where up to me, the Wii Version of any Multiplatform game should run using HVS's Quantum 3 Engine. It will be able to run at a constant 30 fps whixh isn't that bad, and it wouldn't look like s**t.

Who agrees with me?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 haziqonfire

The reason for me being excited about this game is not so much the game itself, but the Quantum 3 Engine.

People say thet the art direction is bad, well pick a game with a good art direction. Lets say Bioshock. It may have been impossible on Wii, but if 2K where to use the Quantum 3 Engine to build a Wii Version of Bioshock, It would look amazing. Not only because of the Techically impressive engine, but because Bioshock has a spectacular art direction.

If it where up to me, the Wii Version of any Multiplatform game should run using HVS's Quantum 3 Engine. It will be able to run at a constant 30 fps whixh isn't that bad, and it wouldn't look like s**t.

Who agrees with me?

snover2009
They haven't licensed out the engine though - and I disagree with you. BioShock looks great because of the platforms it was made for. I personally don't think it would be the same game on the Wii, even with that engine. But what do I know lol.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]I see not why, a small dev with a horrid track record like HVS shouldn't hype their game when we all fully well know that they would have benn ignored if they didn't. They had to prove to the gamers that they were worth a look given their track record and they did that. Now their first real game is about to come out and all I here is the same constant people whining about ome comments. Why?JordanElek

If the game matched their comments, you wouldn't be hearing so much about this. My point all along has been that an awesome game can speak for itself. I would MUCH rather have HVS create an amazing game that can speak for itself (whether they hype it as such or not) than create a mediocre game like they did. The problem is that this type of game had the potential to be amazing on the Wii, yet from all we've heard and seen, it's not amazing. It may be good, it may be above average for the Wii, but it could've been much more.

Like I said before, that's just disappointing. With all the excitement they created with their words, it would've been a much more satisfying situation for everyone if the game would've created that much excitement on its own merit. But to do that, HVS would've had to simply create a better game.

At this point, I've said all I can and heard all I can from every point of view, so all that's left to do is wait till the end of next week to hear some opinions about actual gameplay experience from gamers. I'll even give the game a rent, like I did with World at War, but I don't expect much. Maybe my low expectations will be a good thing, though, and it'll surprise me. We'll see.

Sorry but I disagree. An amazing game will not speak for its self especially on the wii when its a third party game. There have been quite a few excellent games on the wii and they get passed over by the buyers and ignored by the majority of gamers who don't visit this forum. That's fact my friend. That's why our adventure game of 2007 is rarely mentioned outside of myself and a few others on this forum let alone on this website. Devs need to hype there games period and being disppointed because it wasn't all it was hyped to be is fine but to start using it as an excuse for the CONSTANT whining (why isn't this in the sticky by the way since it is obviously about the conduit) is a thin veil from my side of the fence honestly. Its over,they saidsome stuff and didn't deliver except the same people have been complaining before they even gave HVS a chance to deliver.

I also have a problem with this notion that its not good enough for their game to be solid because they hyped it as more. Really? I'm gonna pull a little bit of a jerk move here and say that coming from the wii board this is a funny statement. There has not been 1 fantastic third party wii game period. Not one with over a 90 on aggregate sites, not one with the praise and love given to something like Galaxy or Prime 3 (Zdub is the closest) and people here are honestly complaining about getting what seems to be a solid game? Do you honestly see where I am coming from here? People are mad because a dev hyped there game up to garner attention because they would be ignored otherwise and thier game full short of the greatness people wanted but still seems sollid. I guess I'm alone here when I say that the complainers are just being picky for the sake of being picky. because they don't like what the game is.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 ActicEdge

Who agrees with me?

snover2009

I disagree. The engine tech is good but its not exactly ideal for every multiplatform game. Its a fine engine able to handle large amounts of bump mapping, normal mapping and lighting effects but it hasn't proven itself outside of linear structure games and it may noot be proficient in handling all artstyles. Plus the tech isn't being licensed. I do think that in the hands of a good dev though, (with a decent art direction) a condensed version of Bioshock could be pretty ace from what I've seen.

MadSavage22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 MadSavage22
Member since 2009 • 587 Posts

Dang dude those screen shots just make me even more excited for this game. Those visuals to me are just AMAZING for what I though the Nintendo could do. I mean look at em...Look at that and compair it to like CoD: WaW and man The Conduit blows CoD out of the water. I gitty like a lil school girl LOL.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#100 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Ummmm....if the Conduit is a bad game, it wont sell,TheLordMagnus
Bad games can sell well. Look at Red Steel and Wii Play.