Full game downloads... game changer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

This has been increasingly common on the other platforms, but for Nintendo this is a recent phenomenon, and Wii U will be the first of their consoles to do it. Might the digital option finally remove this little problem we have in North America of Reggie not wanting to let us have interesting/niche games? He doesn't feel sure about publishing a Fatal Frame game on Wii U? Fine, just throw it up for digital purchase only for NA. Maybe, just MAYBE, we won't have to beg for a better variety in available games now? Would be nice.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, it wont make a difference.

There's still a lot of work like localization and licensing when you take a game from one region to another even if they speak the same language.

This doesn't change anything going forward.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I think it can help a lot as several tasks are not needed along the distribution chain. In any case, I certainly expect it to happen
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#4 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

There's still a lot of work like localization and licensing when you take a game from one region to another even if they speak the same language.

Jaysonguy
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Jaysonguy
I agree, plus most people will still won't package games in due time, sure it will swing into the digital space, but imo that won't be for at least 5 years from now.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Jaysonguy
It will remove some of the problems. It won't correct any of that stuff you mentioned but it will ease publishing costs and solve the retailers not wanting to stock a niche game problem.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

This has been increasingly common on the other platforms, but for Nintendo this is a recent phenomenon, and Wii U will be the first of their consoles to do it. Might the digital option finally remove this little problem we have in North America of Reggie not wanting to let us have interesting/niche games? He doesn't feel sure about publishing a Fatal Frame game on Wii U? Fine, just throw it up for digital purchase only for NA. Maybe, just MAYBE, we won't have to beg for a better variety in available games now? Would be nice.

SteveTabernacle

It is a game changer for me because my 4 year old son is really into the Wii lately and despite by best attempts to watch/help him, he was managed to destroy 2 copies of Wii Sports Resort as well as Wii Sports and Wii Play. Meanwhile, my Blu-rays still look like new.

I can't handle any more destroyed discs and would prefer digital downloads. Although, I only reserved the 8 gig so I hope it is quick and easy and reasonably priced to upgrade storage space.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SteveTabernacle
I only reserved the 8 gig so I hope it is quick and easy and reasonably priced to upgrade storage space.ZIMdoom
You can use an external HDD, you can get 500GB pretty cheap most anywhere that sells them.
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SteveTabernacle

Jaysonguy
All I know is that if we hadn't had hat option on PS3 this gen, NA gamers wouldn't have gotten Siren: Blood Curse. If they could have just popped the Pal version of Xenoblade on a network for download, we'd have likely gotten that game way before we actually did, and could have gotten games like Another Code 2 as well.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]I only reserved the 8 gig so I hope it is quick and easy and reasonably priced to upgrade storage space.SteveTabernacle
You can use an external HDD, you can get 500GB pretty cheap most anywhere that sells them.

I thought I read that somewhere which is why I just went with the 8 instead of waiting for enough 32 supply to show up in stores.

I've already got an external Hdd so I'm set. Thanks.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="SteveTabernacle"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]I only reserved the 8 gig so I hope it is quick and easy and reasonably priced to upgrade storage space.ZIMdoom

I thought I read that somewhere which is why I just went with the 8 instead of waiting for enough 32 supply to show up in stores.

I've already got an external Hdd so I'm set. Thanks.

The main reason to get the deluxe bundle is for both Nintendo Land the the Nintendo premium service. You're right though that getting extra storage is cheap. Any USB drive or SD card will work.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Having full downloads on the eShop won't eliminate problems with localizing content.

Those titles are still going to have to be sold at retail to avoid putting one part of the audience at a disadvantage. Many Wii U owners are going to purchase the 8GB model and many of those users are not going to invest in external storage, limiting their chances of downloading games - as sizes for games this generation can be quite big. On top of that, there's the part of the audience that is unwilling to adapt to the digital age that will want retail copies.

Even if what I said above doesn't happen, the costs associated with distribution from retail channels is going to be replaced by costs of localization (voice work, translation, etc), plus marketing and maintaing the title on the digital store front -- all of which might not be worth wild if 500,000 people are interested, with only 250,000 investing.