Finally got a 3DS and I have a few questions...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haibeythefatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 haibeythefatty
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
My wife got it for me as a surprise otherwise I would have waited till after e3, how high are the chances that my DS will be made obsolete or well not the best available DS come e3? Secondly I'm looking for some rpg/strategy rpg recommendations. I am a console gamer but since getting a new job I am unable to sit down infront of the tv and spend time playing like I normally would. I am looking for games with a compelling story...for the record I enjoy Bioware games a lot so anything with a similar story structure or rich world would be awesome. Also I am a huge fan of Tactics Ogre, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. I've heard a lot about Shin Megami Tensei ( spelling? ) Devil Survivor ( so was thinking about getting the overclocked edition for 3ds ) , what do you guys think? Also I'd prefer games that don't look too bad visually, I mean I'm not asking for cutting edge graphics but just something that looks somewhat decent. I'm pretty excited about Heroes Of Ruin!
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Well, you might like Tales of the Abyss. But i've only spent about 6-7 hours into it so i can't give an overall review of it, but i think some people have said it is pretty good.
haibeythefatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 haibeythefatty
I've read good and bad things about it. From your 6-7 hours what do you think, is the story compelling or is just generic fantasy?
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hydralisk86

I've read good and bad things about it. From your 6-7 hours what do you think, is the story compelling or is just generic fantasy?haibeythefatty
Well, I think I remember hearing someone say that the story is good, but the issue with what I've seen so far is nothing is going on. Might be a minor spoiler, but the main character at the very beginning of the story was said to have been kidnapped a long time ago, and he had amnesia. He meets more people and stops a war, but beyond that, nothing really has happened. I've only played those few hours, and I feel you may have to play the game longer to really get a feel of what the overall story is. I think as the story goes on, you will probably find out why the kid lost his memories, and why events happened the way it did.

haibeythefatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 haibeythefatty
How about the actual game itself and the graphics?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

im 90% certain your 3ds will not be obselete after e3.

gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

If you're looking for for a good strategy game a then Ghost recon shadow wars is a good game to get. It's cheap and has a lenghty campaign and I could only really fault it on boring story. Fire emblem's coming out soon too, Although I can't remember when.

It's also pretty unlikely that a redesign will be relased at E3 as they'll be focusing on the relaunch of the WiiU and what not.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I've played through Tales of the Abyss fully on the PS2 and it is one of my favorite games. Yeah, it takes time before the story gets interesting, but it does have some pretty interesting twists and the story gets pretty interesting.

As for the gameplay, it's an action rpg. you control one character while the rest are controled by the computer. You can give commands and set stradegies though, so you are still mostly in control.

The graphics aren't great though. Just look at some pictures and videos to judge for yourself. They aren't horrible, but they just aren't great.

haibeythefatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 haibeythefatty
Any more recomends?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Nikkei's already reporting that a 3DSXL will be announced during E3, so I guess we'll see. As for RPGs, I'm hoping there's some announcement of them during E3 as well, the 3DS is pretty barren for them.
haibeythefatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 haibeythefatty
any more game suggestions guys? It can be something from the ds library? any opinions of final fantasy revenant wings?
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Tales of the Abyss is the only RPG I can think of getting for the 3DS. I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game, and from what I've seen, the battle system at least looks like a pretty typical RPG and some of them appear to be first person dungeon crawlers, although I have no idea about Overclocked.

Tales is a pretty standard game as far as I'm concerned. If you like Tales games, you won't be disappointed. The battle system is as good as any of the others in the series, which is what counts. One thing I really appreciated about the game was that it warped you to where you needed to be later on in the game so you wouldn't have to waste time traveling to places you've already been to, and there's a lot of cross-map traveling so I really enjoyed that little feature. I didn't find the story to be anything special and I didn't particularly care for the characters, but they will grow on you and the dialogue did honestly make me laugh a few times. So it's just like I said, if you like Tales games, you'll enjoy this one.

If you're fine with dipping into the DS back-catalog, I'd suggest Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2, Age of Empires/Mythology, Golden Sun, and of course Pokemon. There are tons of others that you could pick up and enjoy from the DS catalog, and if you're open to that I'd suggest doing so, because you won't be disappointed.

Just saw your question about Revenant Wings, and having played through it I didn't really enjoy it myself. I'm not sure what about it exactly, but I generally didn't find that much joy from the battles and as I recall I had issues controlling everything efficiently which caused me some problems. It was reviewed well, though, so you may want to look into it anyway despite what I say though, because I think I'm an outlier.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

any more game suggestions guys? It can be something from the ds library? any opinions of final fantasy revenant wings? haibeythefatty

If you are intested in older DS games, then you should find plenty to enjoy. Lots of great RPGs.

Final Fantasy IV is one of my favorites. The character models may look wierd and "Chibi", but if you can get over that you will find a great story with a fantastic turn based battle system and challenging boss battles. It's a remake, so you may have already played it on other systems, but I figured it's worth mentioning at least.

The World Ends With You is an original game for DS, and very unique. It's an action RPG set in modern Shibuya, Japan. Story involves a kid waking up in an alternate version of the city where no one can see him, and he's forced to partner up and play the "Reaper's game" in order to survive. It's unique, and the story is very good. And the music is excellent as well. The combat may seem wierd and confusing at first, but it's pretty cool when you get used to it.

ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Nikkei's already reporting that a 3DSXL will be announced during E3, so I guess we'll see. As for RPGs, I'm hoping there's some announcement of them during E3 as well, the 3DS is pretty barren for them.

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/nintendo-denies-the-reports-from-nikkei/
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

I say got for Tales of the Abyss and most definately get Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked. Hopefully we'll get on confirmation on Fire Emblem today.

For the DS, you most certainly get the Luminous Arc games! Also the Dragon Quest games, especially Dragon Quest IX. Also Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Radiant Historia.

I'd also like to suggest Samurai Warriors Chronicles (3DS) and Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero (DS).

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hydralisk86

I say got for Tales of the Abyss and most definately get Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked. Hopefully we'll get on confirmation on Fire Emblem today.

For the DS, you most certainly get the Luminous Arc games! Also the Dragon Quest games, especially Dragon Quest IX. Also Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Radiant Historia.

I'd also like to suggest Samurai Warriors Chronicles (3DS) and Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero (DS).

YoBrandino

The Four Heroes of Light may not be that good of a game. I heard a few bad things about it. But if you think it's a good game, and see good reviews for it, then buy it if you want. If you want recommendations for other good games for your 3DS and DS, you could look up the reviews on Gamepot.com. I liked Chrono Trigger, and Lunar Knights. There are 2 Advance Wars on the DS, you might like them.

KingTrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17 KingTrax
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

@haibeythefatty said:
.for the record I enjoy Bioware games a lot so anything with a similar story structure or rich world would be awesome. Also I am a huge fan of Tactics Ogre, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. I've heard a lot about Shin Megami Tensei ( spelling? ) Devil Survivor ( so was thinking about getting the overclocked edition for 3ds ) , what do you guys think? Also I'd prefer games that don't look too bad visually, I mean I'm not asking for cutting edge graphics but just something that looks somewhat decent. I'm pretty excited about Heroes Of Ruin!

What happened to the Bioware games announced for the DS in 2006-2008? Mass Effect, Knights Of The Old Republic, Dragon Age, and Jade Empire were all in press releases for years. What happened? Why did they only release Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood? Now that many of us have 3DS and more will get them this Christmas, it would seem an easy port for some of these games.