Favorite 2D Side-scroller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

So I'm slowly starting to see the that people are starting to think obsolete of 2D games... Really disappointing, since in my eyes the DS only has a mediocre bearing on 3D graphics, while it has mastered the beautiful style of 2D.

I've always loved the Castlevania series but after playing DoS and PoR again, I've noticed the action to be slow for my taste. I really appreciate the art style in the games, they have good soundtracks, nice graphics, the whole package.

Ever since Megaman Zero for GBA i've loved the series. The action is extremely fast and fun. Though I liked ZX, the game just seemed ridiculous... I don't know why. I felt weird and out of place playing the game. Oh, if only I could jump back into Zero's stead on the DS...

I don't really like the Mario games... New Super Mario Bros. was acceptable, though.

Kirby is fun, and I don't like Sonic. I've never played the 2D Metroid games, but I really hope they make a new one for the DS.

In conclusion I guess Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia was a masterpiece and my favorite 2D game on the DS, maybe even of all time.

What's your favorite 2D side-scroller?

P.S.

I went to my local Game Crazy a week ago, and their pre-order list showed a new Metroid game for the DS. I'm guessing a mistake? Any news on a new Metroid game?

gamester_12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gamester_12345
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts

I say Castlevania, Megaman ZX would of had been a close first....if only it wasnt difficult, seriously the game was too unforgiving and many jumps were complicated. :s

A second Metroid DS game you say? I didnt knew they were making a second one. :s

Mr_Matthews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mr_Matthews
Member since 2009 • 277 Posts
I'm a huge Mega Man fan, and I hated ZX. It was an incredibly clumsy and confusing attempt to bring "Metroidvania" to the Mega Man series. Henry Hatsworth should really be on this list, however - it's a better game than any Mega Man or Castlevania title on the DS, IMO . . . second only to New Super Mario Bros.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
As much as I enjoyed Castlevania I am going to have to pick NSMB for its "pick up and play", spunky attitude. Sometimes I just want to play my DS for like a minute or two and NSMB is perfect for that; I have to set up time to play Castlevania. :? Both great games though.
Mr_Matthews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mr_Matthews
Member since 2009 • 277 Posts
[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Oh and is it obvious to anyone else but me that the poster above me is a casual gamer? You can tell by the way he posted.

If you're talking about me, feel free to elaborate.
hi-buzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hi-buzz
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts

2d favorites ??... for me it was actually super metroid (snes) B.T.W NINTENDO !!!!....we need a REMAKE of super metroid or another full blast 2d metroid game for the wii or dsi !!!! others i like r like castlevania:DawnOf Sorrow , Portrait of Ruins and Order of ecclesia (ds)....castlevania 4 (the 1st snes castlevania game)....most super mario bros. games especially SMB 3...(some might even put this game #1....)....i also like Donkey Kong Country ( a CLASSIC snes)...we need another 1 like this for the dsi

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

2d favorites ??... for me it was actually super metroid (snes) B.T.W NINTENDO !!!!....we need a REMAKE of super metroid or another full blast 2d metroid game for the wii or dsi !!!! others i like r like castlevania:DawnOf Sorrow , Portrait of Ruins and Order of ecclesia (ds)....castlevania 4 (the 1st snes castlevania game)....most super mario bros. games especially SMB 3...(some might even put this game #1....)....i also like Donkey Kong Country ( a CLASSIC snes)...we need another 1 like this for the dsi

hi-buzz

? This thread is in the DS forum so I'm asking about 2D DS favorites.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#9 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
From the games listed. Well, Mario is Mario, I'm biased. But I guess the Castlevania games were the best, especially Dawn of Sorrow.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

Yay, another pointless topic.

Tie between mario and castlevania:ecclesia. While megaman ZX and castlevania: Portrait of ruin comes tied in second.

thomassmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 thomassmash
Member since 2008 • 2039 Posts

Tie between mario and castlevania:ecclesia. While megaman ZX and castlevania: Portrait of ruin comes tied in second.

meiaman

well, atleast this one isn't the brain-less question "favourite game" or "best game"

and refering to the poll ill say castlevanias because im a fan of the series

Avatar image for GCwasthebestsys
GCwasthebestsys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GCwasthebestsys
Member since 2007 • 430 Posts
yet to play any Castlevania games on the DS, since I just got a DS Lite and now a DSi. Probably will be the next games i buy/play after i finish FFIII and IV
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#13 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

Sonic Rush Adventure is a great game. I recommend it to any platform junkie and all Sonic fans. Its gimmick, for a Sonic game and for a game itself (the boats) works and is pretty fun. Then there's the music, which is top notch.

I didn't find much bad to Sonic Rush Adventure, actually. Sonic just happens to do great with side-scrollers.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

[QUOTE="meiaman"]

thomassmash

well, atleast this one isn't the brain-less question "favourite game" or "best game"

True. Castlevania hands down, with second place coming to the laughably difficult but challenging fun game that is Contra 4, followed lastly by NA as in Not Announced since I don't find Mario, Sonic, or Megaman to pick my interest.
jimbokong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jimbokong
Member since 2008 • 260 Posts

2d sidescrollers? forget about the ds library, gba has mountains of them, tak, crash bandicoot, smb, the list goes on and on and on, regret not caring about your gba slot now anyone?

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

New Super Mario Bros. was the best from that list, in my opinion.