EV training not working how it should. Can anyone help me?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Atomic_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Atomic_Bacon
Member since 2009 • 239 Posts

So I caught a wild Gastly with a timid nature to try and raise it to the the fastest Gengar possible, with 350 speed. I trained it with only speed and sp atk EVs, and eventually realized his stats weren't going to be what they should be. So then I bread a Gastly with timid nature in hopes of fixing the problem. Now once again his stats aren't matching up. Is there anything I might be doing wrong? Please help.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

Your ghastlycould have low "IV's" which means how high a Pokemon's stats can go when training. Even if he has a timid nature, it's true that his speed stat will go up higher than most other stats, but if your ghastly has low IV's, then its speed will go up less than a ghastly with high IV's, even though its speed goes up more than other stats. IV's are usually random for Pokemon. I hope that made sense :P

Atomic_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Atomic_Bacon
I understand what IVs are, do you know if there is any way I could select for the best possible IVs? In other words, is there a way I can determine it's IVs? I understand that there are the little characteristics like "likes to run" or "alert to sounds", but is there a way I can make sure he has the highest possible speed IVs?
poompa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 poompa
Member since 2008 • 769 Posts

www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

This is a pretty good iv calculator but the directions can be tedious

MisterG333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MisterG333
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts
I understand what IVs are, do you know if there is any way I could select for the best possible IVs? In other words, is there a way I can determine it's IVs? I understand that there are the little characteristics like "likes to run" or "alert to sounds", but is there a way I can make sure he has the highest possible speed IVs?Atomic_Bacon
I'm pretty sure when two pokemon are bred the egg pokemon inherits three IVs (maybe? not sure on amount) from its parents. However, the others are all random. Either use action replay or trade to get your perfect pokemon fast. Breeding takes FOREVER. but it is rewarding...
Pengwin133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pengwin133
Member since 2007 • 168 Posts

hey guess what i checked my pc box and i had a pokemon with the pokerus. i gave it to all my pokemon but i don't know how to ev train lol so idk what to do about it.

Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hegna1
Member since 2007 • 6118 Posts
[QUOTE="Atomic_Bacon"]I understand what IVs are, do you know if there is any way I could select for the best possible IVs? In other words, is there a way I can determine it's IVs? I understand that there are the little characteristics like "likes to run" or "alert to sounds", but is there a way I can make sure he has the highest possible speed IVs?MisterG333
I'm pretty sure when two pokemon are bred the egg pokemon inherits three IVs (maybe? not sure on amount) from its parents. However, the others are all random. Either use action replay or trade to get your perfect pokemon fast. Breeding takes FOREVER. but it is rewarding...

Don't cheat. Can you guys at least play Pokemon legitimately? And, yes it's probably just IV problems since they range from 0 -31 and each one is 1 point (timid adding an extra 10% meaning in the end, you get 34 points extra). Anyway just as a note "Alert to Sounds" means that the speed IV is the pokemon's highest and that the value for the Speed IV is 1,6,11,16,21,26,or 31. Granted you could still have a 31 IV in speed with a different characteristic is it has more than 1 IV that is 31.
Atomic_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Atomic_Bacon
Well right now I'm going to keep breeding until I get a female with a timid nature that is alert to sounds. Then I can breed it with the male I already have that has "mischievous" and hopefull get the speed and sp atk IVs up to 31. Sound good?