DS Lite - Switching from WPA 2 to WEP to play Wi-Fi?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

My DS Lite cannot connect to my WPA 2 router to play Wi-Fi and WEP is NOT safe. Should I switch from WPA 2 to WEP even though it's not safe just to play Pokemon online?

I heard that hackers can enter your WEP router and look at what you're browsing on at that moment. so it's pretty scary.

idk what I should do. :/

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

You can follow the steps in my blog. Even though they are about the 3DS, I am sure the same situation can be used with a DSlite and AOSS on a wireless router that supports this feature. :D

edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 edwardorito

You can follow the steps in my blog. Even though they are about the 3DS, I am sure the same situation can be used with a DSlite and AOSS on a wireless router that supports this feature. :D

Zanoh

Gahhh my router doesn't have an AOSS cpapability. Thanks for the info though, I may be able to use it later on :D You would expect that and apple router would have an AOSS button ._. I guess I'll wait till I get a 3DS later on this year till I can play pokemon online. I'm not really in a hurry since I'm still building a team :3

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

It's up to you, really - I would really only be concerned if you live in a densely populated area and use wireless connections to conduct personal business. Though with most consoles supporting wireless now, and iPods and such, no doubt you have passwords and credit card information potentially being broadcast occasionally.

I usually don't play my DS online because it's a hassle swapping to WEP and back to WPA2 and I cannot keep it on WEP as at least 100 people live within range of my router.

Zanoh

I don't think that would work with the DS. I mean, it would work, but all AOSS does is set up your network and security for you based on the highest form of security the connected devices support.

And in the DS/DS Lite's case (or the 3DS or DSi when playing DS games), that's WEP.

edit - oh I see what you did in terms of the 3DS and older games. I think when you engage AOSS with your router it's switching your wireless security from WPA down to WEP. Maybe it cycles it back up to WPA when there's no longer a WEP connection? It seems like you'd have to engage AOSS every time you switch to an old DS game though.

edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 edwardorito

It's up to you, really - I would really only be concerned if you live in a densely populated area and use wireless connections to conduct personal business. Though with most consoles supporting wireless now, and iPods and such, no doubt you have passwords and credit card information potentially being broadcast occasionally.

I usually don't play my DS online because it's a hassle swapping to WEP and back to WPA2 and I cannot keep it on WEP as at least 100 people live within range of my router.

DJ_Lae

ohh, gotcha. well, I live in a neighborhood and basically everyone around me has their own router. should I give it up?

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

DJ_Lae

I don't think that would work with the DS. I mean, it would work, but all AOSS does is set up your network and security for you based on the highest form of security the connected devices support.

And in the DS/DS Lite's case (or the 3DS or DSi when playing DS games), that's WEP.

edit - oh I see what you did in terms of the 3DS and older games. I think when you engage AOSS with your router it's switching your wireless security from WPA down to WEP. Maybe it cycles it back up to WPA when there's no longer a WEP connection? It seems like you'd have to engage AOSS every time you switch to an old DS game though.

It sets a subcategory to the max settings your DS/3DS can go without compromising your WPA security. Think of it as a "special access" code. :D