Doesn't it stink that the Nintendo Wii has no demos for console games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PictureGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 PictureGame
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
All the Wii has is a bunch of videos. I think the reason is because the Nintendo Wii system doesn't have enough internal memory because it has no hardrive.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, it's brilliant

So many games on the Wii need either time with the motion controls or they're just plain broken that a demo would turn away more sales then it would bring in

Let users buy games they "think" they want and then have to deal with their purchasing successes/failures

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#3 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

Yeah i totally agree, it stinks!

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I agree. I have downloaded all the Wiiware demos and downloaded a lot more games since. For retail games it could work great too as digital distribution is faster and wider than going rent each new title -which finally are not all available around my city In the other hand, the lack of a hard drive is not a reason to not send demos, at least from some games. You can fit 1GB of data (which would take forever to download but thats another problem), which could suffice to demo a level or part of the game I think we'll have to wait for next gen as this one, as always, some promises remained unfulfilled (external Hard Disk for Wii)
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

as always, some promises remained unfulfilled (external Hard Disk for Wii)enrique_marrodz

link it it didnt happen, because i dont remember nintendo EVER saying anything about an external hard drive. use of SD cards (which are more than enough storage for what the wii has available), but never an external harddrive

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Well, this is what happens when there is not a hard drive. Games like Little King's Story, Muramasa, and Zack and Wiki could have sold better if they had demos.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
All the Wii has is a bunch of videos. I think the reason is because the Nintendo Wii system doesn't have enough internal memory because it has no hardrive.PictureGame
Its not the internal memory, its the wiiware filesize restriction
XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

[QUOTE="PictureGame"]All the Wii has is a bunch of videos. I think the reason is because the Nintendo Wii system doesn't have enough internal memory because it has no hardrive.LastRambo341
Its not the internal memory, its the wiiware filesize restriction

IMO its Nintendo's whole online architecture. This is the 1st time their home console supports a range of online capabilities and it needs some time to evolve.

I don't really mind it though.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

No its a good, thing bad games would have bad demos hurting sales. And theres a ton of bad games on the Wii. And for a game like Mario or Zelda that I'm going to buy no matter what occurs in the demo, the demo just hurts the experience once I have the real game

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I would recommend jampacks.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Well there have been numerous games whose demos I played and disliked, and then played the full game and loved it. Too often demos just try to go after the CoD market instead of actually showing what the game is really about. I've stopped playing demos specifically for that reason.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Not to me, demos aren't important to me.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Stinks for us. Great for Nintendo.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts

I've had a 360 since 2005, and have downloaded a grand total of about five demos. So no, I wouldn't say the lack of demos hurts much at all.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

There actually is a way to demo Wii games. 3 ways. 2 of the ways can't be mentioned on this board. The third way is to play it a store if they have a demo unit of the game or play it at your friends house.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamenerd15

No its a good, thing bad games would have bad demos hurting sales. And theres a ton of bad games on the Wii. And for a game like Mario or Zelda that I'm going to buy no matter what occurs in the demo, the demo just hurts the experience once I have the real game

Cruse34

We want bad games to have bad sales. Developers won't make bad games anymore due to bad sales. How would having a demo of Mario or Zelda hurt the real game expereince? I don't understand that logic at all. Demos are good for games that people are iffy about. I don't think people really care about a Mario or Zelda game having a demo because they are going to buy the game anyway.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#17 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I don't really play demos on my 360 or PC so the Wii not having demos doesn't bother me at all.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Demos mostly break the deal for me as I only try "maybes" on my PS3.

I've only been disappointed by one Wii game which was cheap anyway (monkey ball ;_; )

I'd love demos for the WiiWare games even though there are reviews for them on utube you still want to try them for yourself to better get a sense of the physics and such, whether the gameplay feels "off" or not.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I would recommend jampacks.Fightingfan
Darnit, I just keep getting caught off guard by your awesome Athena Terry Bogard Avatar. It Rocks soooo much it Howards!!! Now on topic, I'm not bothered by lack of retail demos.
Grillinnap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grillinnap
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts

No, I don't care for demos. What really stinks is that patches aren't given online in case there are some flaws on a certain game. At least with the other two systems, you can always be hopefull that there would be a patch sometime. With a Wii game, a flaw is stuck there forever.

davring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 davring
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
For me, demos make a big difference in my purchase decisions. I really don't see why they can't have demos for Wii Ware! All they would have to do is implement a time lock, say 30 minutes till you have to buy the game. Why is that so hard?!
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

For me, demos make a big difference in my purchase decisions. I really don't see why they can't have demos for Wii Ware! All they would have to do is implement a time lock, say 30 minutes till you have to buy the game. Why is that so hard?!davring
They do have demos for WiiWare games don't they? But not all, I don't think... In which case, I guess I will say your right I think they should be able to do that for every game.

But retail games don't have them at all, and yeah, it's dumb, they should. I don't download demos much though, so it doesn't bother me much. But ocasionally a game will come along that I would like to try a demo for, and it sucks that I can't.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lazyathew

No, it's brilliant

So many games on the Wii need either time with the motion controls or they're just plain broken that a demo would turn away more sales then it would bring in

Let users buy games they "think" they want and then have to deal with their purchasing successes/failures

Jaysonguy

The way you say that it makes it sound like you're a Nintendo employee. I see your point, it might be great for Nintendo, but it still sucks for us.

But I dunno, maybe you are a Nintendo employee, and you just answered the question honestly.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, it's brilliant

lazyathew

The way you say that it makes it sound like you're a Nintendo employee. I see your point, it might be great for Nintendo, but it still sucks for us.

But I dunno, maybe you are a Nintendo employee, and you just answered the question honestly.

No, Jaysonguy is a Wii hater and always says things like this. He believes the Wii hasn't done anything good since 2007. He is not an employee.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lazyathew

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, it's brilliant

gamenerd15

No, Jaysonguy is a Wii hater and always says things like this. He believes the Wii hasn't done anything good since 2007. He is not an employee.

Ya, I know that actually.I was just kidding.