Does the 3DS screen really scratch?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
I heard about this in another thread. Does the screen really scratch, even when the 3DS is shut?! :? Gah, I was seriously going to pick one up in about a month or two, but now I'm not so sure.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I think I remember reading from someone's post on these forums that for some 3DSes, the rubber edges on the sides are not big enough, so that the bottom controls scratch the top. So that might be what is causing it, but that person could have been wrong.

It's been happening to me, but i have screen protectors and I keep a soft pad between the top and the bottom when I am not using it.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

It hasn't happensed to me. Though if my hands are sweaty when playing, and I close my 3DS the circle pad sometimes leaves a mark, but it's nothing that can't be cleaned off.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

It hasn't happensed to me. Though if my hands are sweaty when playing, and I close my 3DS the circle pad sometimes leaves a mark, but it's nothing that can't be cleaned off.

GamerEye
I would get screen protectors if you don't have them just in case.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I keep the original little foam pad that it came with inbetween the screens when it is closed along with a microfiber cloth for extra padding just in case after hearing about this problem right after launch. No scratches here :P

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

My 3DS hasn't gotten any scratches so far, I make sure not to slam it shut, but it does have a slight smudge from the circle pad. (Which is easy to wipe off)

If you're really worried about the screen just pick up a screen protector whenever you buy your 3DS, I got one for my DSi because I was worried about the bottom screen getting scratches over time... I'll probably do the same for 3DS once more games that use the bottom screen are released.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CaptainAhab13

My 3DS hasn't gotten any scratches so far, I make sure not to slam it shut, but it does have a slight smudge from the circle pad. (Which is easy to wipe off)

If you're really worried about the screen just pick up a screen protector whenever you buy your 3DS, I got one for my DSi because I was worried about the bottom screen getting scratches over time... I'll probably do the same for 3DS once more games that use the bottom screen are released.

JollyGreenOne
Hmm, maybe I should look into screen protectors then. Ugh... maybe the models launching in September won't have this issue.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CaptainAhab13
Do you think the new batch of 3DS's coming out on September 9 might not have this problem, or will it plague the 3DS for all eternity (or at least until a new version comes out in a couple of years or something)?
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

My 3DS is permanently scratched because I had mine in my pocket and the bottom screen scratched the top screen, leaving 2 lines.

But I can send it in to Nintendo for a repair if I wanted :D

EDIT: My recommendation to stop this from happening, even if its in your pocket, put a microfiber cleaning cloth inside the 3DS covering the bottom screen. It shouldn't happen if you do that.

I'm talking about a cloth like in this bundle:

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-20-in-1-essentials-black/90589

(GAH, GS wont let me Link!!)

KiD_ReMiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KiD_ReMiX
Member since 2011 • 254 Posts
I recently noticed the scratch pattern appearing on mines. First they start off as smudges, then they become scratches. Now I keep a cleaning cloth between the screens when the system is closed. Eventually I plan to get some Hori screen protectors. I hear those are pretty good.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CaptainAhab13

My 3DS is permanently scratched because I had mine in my pocket and the bottom screen scratched the top screen, leaving 2 lines.

EDIT: My recommendation to stop this from happening, even if its in your pocket, put a microfiber cleaning cloth inside the 3DS covering the bottom screen. It shouldn't happen if you do that.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-20-in-1-essentials-black/90589

bbkkristian
Well thank God I'm not the only one that can't link. I've gotten nothing but error messages as of late. :P And thank you for the link! I'm glad things like this are available -- it's just a shame that if I end up getting a 3DS it'll be an extra expense for the consumer, and not Nintendo, who should have tested their product more thoroughly. This is absurd.
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

Do you think the new batch of 3DS's coming out on September 9 might not have this problem, or will it plague the 3DS for all eternity (or at least until a new version comes out in a couple of years or something)?CaptainAhab13
Only a few people seem to have this problem, I do think the new batch should help against this happening though.

And the smudge I was talking about:

doesn't appear on the screen, it shows up on the black part above the circle pad, which is hard to see unless you're really looking for it. (Picture was just an example:P)

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I've heard it can, mine just leaves smudge lines on the screen sometimes that can be wiped off easily with a cloth. This issue will likely be fixed easily by Nintendo by increasing the length of the rubber bumpers.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CaptainAhab13

I've heard it can, mine just leaves smudge lines on the screen sometimes that can be wiped off easily with a cloth. This issue will likely be fixed easily by Nintendo by increasing the length of the rubber bumpers.

DarkGamer007
I certainly hope so! D:
kerimblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 kerimblue13
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

Apparently when it is closed... It sucks

I just keep a cloth between the screens when I close it. I might just buy some bigger rubber things and put them where the original ones are.

I don't get how Nintendo did not see this

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CaptainAhab13

I was reading up on the issue on NeoGAF and apparently Nintendo is aware of this (from the feedback of lots of customers who have talked with their customer support) and there is a strong chance/basically certain that the bumpers will be fixed in the September 9th batch.

Also for everyone that has one already, they've either just used the little foamy cloth that came with it when the 3DS is closed, or they have acquired some small bumpers and have stuck them on top of the existing, crappy bumpers.

Smallville417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Smallville417
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

Have not had an issue so far, but will be getting screen protectors.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

CaptainAhab13
Well thank God I'm not the only one that can't link. I've gotten nothing but error messages as of late. :P And thank you for the link! I'm glad things like this are available -- it's just a shame that if I end up getting a 3DS it'll be an extra expense for the consumer, and not Nintendo, who should have tested their product more thoroughly. This is absurd.

True, but they are willing to replace it Even though they are just scratches :P and hey if it does get scratched and you send it in for repair, you get another 30 days warranty :)
rapidshot20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rapidshot20
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

bbkkristian

True, but they are willing to replace it Even though they are just scratches :P and hey if it does get scratched and you send it in for repair, you get another 30 days warranty :)

Well that's nice to know.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bbkkristian
Well that's nice to know. rapidshot20
I thought that was pretty generous of Nintendo. :P Their costumer service is always on top, with my experiences :)
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#21 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I just noticed that mine is a bit scratched :( After only a week and a half of owning it too. Luckily for me, I had screen protectors put on as soon as possible and I'd recommend you to do the same.
rapidshot20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rapidshot20
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

Do screen protectors still make the screens look worse?

Cause I remember I brought a screen protector for my Original DS and the top screen looked horrible.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CaptainAhab13

Cause I remember I brought a screen protector for my Original DS and the top screen looked horrible.

rapidshot20
Apparently for the 3DS they don't actually protect from scratches. :? I've seen a lot of band-aid fixes on the internet, though. Many people just take the little rubber bumpers from their 360 (or buy replacement parts if they don't own one) and glue them on top of the 3DS. Works like a charm. I'm going to call Nintendo and see if the new batch of 3DS's has solved this issue. Would that be a bad idea?
KiD_ReMiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KiD_ReMiX
Member since 2011 • 254 Posts

[QUOTE="rapidshot20"]

CaptainAhab13

Apparently for the 3DS they don't actually protect from scratches. :? I've seen a lot of band-aid fixes on the internet, though. Many people just take the little rubber bumpers from their 360 (or buy replacement parts if they don't own one) and glue them on top of the 3DS. Works like a charm. I'm going to call Nintendo and see if the new batch of 3DS's has solved this issue. Would that be a bad idea?

No, I don't think so. I've always had friendly interactions with Nintendo customer service when I had questions. If you do call, please report back on what they said =]

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

screen protectors don't mess with the 3d right?

my screen isn't scratched, but the edges of the bottom screen do leave oil marks (from my fingers) on the top screen. so i know its touching

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CaptainAhab13

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="rapidshot20"]

KiD_ReMiX

No, I don't think so. I've always had friendly interactions with Nintendo customer service when I had questions. If you do call, please report back on what they said =]

Can do, I'll call them tomorrow morning.