Does Monster Hunter get better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I am on the first quest and am having a real tough time getting into the game. Does it get more exciting?

ausgamer529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ausgamer529
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

i dont know im getting tomarow but what im hearing is that most of the excitement is in the online play

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
It takes a while to adjust to the game. When I first started playing, I was having the most trouble with the controls. The early quests are for introductory purposes and get you comfortable with the game. Give it some time. It's a bit of a tough game to get into.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Oh come on man you can't quit this title after only the first quest! That's like giving up on super mario galaxy 2 after one star.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
the first quest? the mushroom one? did you watch yahtzee's review? please tell me you didn't take him seriously... anyway, OF COURSE IT GETS BETTER! it's called MONSTER HUNTER and it has a huge MONSTER on the box for a reason. if it was about mushroom harvesting and other random stuff villagers ask you to do on the first couple hours, it'd be called "random things harvester".
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Five hours in, I hated the game.

Twenty to thirty hours in (I forget exactly how much), I now love the game.

Take that as you will.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Oh come on man you can't quit this title after only the first quest! That's like giving up on super mario galaxy 2 after one star.

i think it's more like giving up on zelda after the intro cutscene.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Oh come on man you can't quit this title after only the first quest! That's like giving up on super mario galaxy 2 after one star.BrunoBRS
i think it's more like giving up on zelda after the intro cutscene.

Well, to be honest Twilight Princess was really slow the first few hours. Well either way, the point we're both hopefully trying to make is it's too soon to call.
Pesantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Pesantez
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

I was in the same boat man. At first i though "whats the hype about this game?" But once you get into boss battles and online and striving to collect certain things to obtain armor and weapons, thats THE MEAT of the game.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Take that as you will.

Same. The beginning is EXTREMELY slow, almost to the game's detriment. It really does its best to make you hate it and make you stop playing. It's not FFXIII bad, but close. The turning point for most people seems to be downing their first Great Jaggi. It was my moment too.
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

The beginning can be a bit tedious since the quests are mostly collecting things and slaying weak monsters but keep at it and you'll eventually get to the good stuff. This is basically your chance to get settled with the controls and get some items together before your first big hunt. Don't give up on the game until you've at least tried the 2* quest for hunting the Great Jaggi. He's pretty much the first major monster which will give you a better idea of what you can expect in the rest of the game.

CommonFable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 CommonFable
Member since 2009 • 884 Posts

Don't give up hope yet!!

You just wait till you get to fight your first Great Jaggi! The thrill of the kill man, the thrill of the kill.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Take that as you will.

GabuEx

I'm five hours in and hate it too. I lent it to friend though so I might hate it forever

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Don't give up hope yet!!

You just wait till you get to fight your first Great Jaggi! The thrill of the kill man, the thrill of the kill.

CommonFable

He killed me and boy was I mad, you can't focus on him because of all the little ones

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS

He killed me and boy was I mad, you can't focus on him because of all the little ones

Cruse34
greatsword's wide slash FTW.
It's not FFXIII bad, but close.DJ_Lae
you know, the funny thing about FF XIII is that i was playing it and loving it until i got to the part people say "it gets better", and then it got worse for me. the story that was driving me around almost disappears in favor of an open world which is not even that much of a big deal.
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Take that as you will.

DJ_Lae

Same. The beginning is EXTREMELY slow, almost to the game's detriment. It really does its best to make you hate it and make you stop playing. It's not FFXIII bad, but close. The turning point for most people seems to be downing their first Great Jaggi. It was my moment too.

I got in to the game wiht MHFU and it took about 4-5 hours but pretty much what many people said, go to great jaggi and if it haven't got any better at all for you just move on

kinda OT: when Monster hunter gets good it gets really good while FF XIII was just on the limit of acceptable (if even that)

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="Cruse34"]

BrunoBRS

you know, the funny thing about FF XIII is that i was playing it and loving it until i got to the part people say "it gets better", and then it got worse for me. the story that was driving me around almost disappears in favor of an open world which is not even that much of a big deal.

FFXIII:

first part: story rocks, gameplay alright

second part: story alright, gameplay rocks.That's how I see it

ANYWAYS...

I've already done all 1 star and 2 star quests, and only got the last two 3 star quests to deal with, both of which I will have to retry and prepare more for and do better! :x

I have been enjoying the game plenty, though it can be a bit stale at times for me. As long as there's no more fishing though everything should be fine. >_>

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Cruse34

Defend yourself against his attacks and kill the Jaggis around him first. He gets substantially easier when he's alone.

Pesantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pesantez
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

[QUOTE="CommonFable"]

Don't give up hope yet!!

Cruse34

Go online and fight him with some guys.

greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts

It only get's boring after 300 hours. That's just for me that is. But it's starting to get exciting again since I want to collect more weapons, acquire all titles, and get all awards. So that's another 300 hours.

Am I the only one who liked the game from the first minute it started? Even in MHFU, the first MH I played, it was like that.

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts

Take that as you will.

GabuEx
I have this with books and Games all the time. A bit meh and then u just get sucked into it
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
It gets harder, the monsters get harder, the items get harder to acquire, the environments get more hostile... I'm still not convinced it's all that great of a game and I'm up to the 4* quests... Anyway, there are people who love it and they must for a reason.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

[QUOTE="Cruse34"]

BrunoBRS

I agree 100%. I remember playing it thinking "What's everyone complaining about? This is awesome. I can't wait to get to 'the place' everyone talks up, this could be my GotY!". After hours of running around 'the place', I was so sick of it after grinding for awhile & trying to make a ton of gil. I had intentions of trying to get all the achievements, but after finishing the game & realising most of them involved running around doing the side quests I gave up. If the whole game was the story driven linear paths I would have liked it more, though it would have been better with open areas such as towns, though would have clashed with the whole l'cie thing.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

[QUOTE="CommonFable"]

Don't give up hope yet!!

Cruse34

just ignore the little ones, they hardly ever actually attack you. He took me a couple tries at first, but now I can put him down in two minuets or so, he'll be dead in the area I find him in. I've enjoyed the game since the start, it was a little slow at first. 100 hours in I still can't get enough!
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
It will grow on you. Suddenly you will be captured in the monster world without any reason to shut of your wii. Or psp for that matter.
FL_Lloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FL_Lloyd
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts
It only took me the demo to hate the game.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrunoBRS

It only get's boring after 300 hours. That's just for me that is. But it's starting to get exciting again since I want to collect more weapons, acquire all titles, and get all awards. So that's another 300 hours.

Am I the only one who liked the game from the first minute it started? Even in MHFU, the first MH I played, it was like that.

greenarcher02
i actually enjoyed from the start. was kinda "zelda beginning", where you do random tasks for people to learn the basics.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Take that as you will.

Gabu, you look younger. Did you get a hair cut? The beginning is slow, but once you start crafting your weapons and armor, you get hooked.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Take that as you will.

Gabu, you look younger. Did you get a hair cut? The beginning is slow, but once you start crafting your weapons and armor, you get hooked.

*tries to understand the first line, fails*
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
so i think the general consensus is..yes it gets alot better. from my own experience...oh definately. the fights are proper boss fights where you have to think about what you are doing and pay attention. if you go in just swinging then you will die very very fast and the game will make you feel very silly. but beating thse monsters is one of the most satisifying things in gaming imho. your working against a tough monster with limited resources (and the first time you face them...limited knowledge) and you need to draw on your skills and your wits to beat it. it gets even more satisifying when you go back to these monsters that gave you alot of hassle and smack seven shades out of em for poops in giggels. its not just because you have better equipment...its also because you have improved as a player and learned how to effectively deal with these creatures. take the quiet time to learn about the different weapons and what you prefer. the game will ramp up the difficulty pretty quickly after the 1* quests. also dont judge a weapon until you have tried it on some enemies. it may look slow and sloppy but in combat it can be quite effective.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the first quest? the mushroom one? did you watch yahtzee's review? please tell me you didn't take him seriously... anyway, OF COURSE IT GETS BETTER! it's called MONSTER HUNTER and it has a huge MONSTER on the box for a reason. if it was about mushroom harvesting and other random stuff villagers ask you to do on the first couple hours, it'd be called "random things harvester".

lol, yeah seriously TC is your attention span that short that after a single mission your ready to call it quits? And not even a mission with a monster.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Take that as you will.

BrunoBRS

His avitar and sig look like a younger version of what he had before.......(might have been like this for a while, but I don't always pay attention).

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="psychobrew"] Gabu, you look younger. Did you get a hair cut? The beginning is slow, but once you start crafting your weapons and armor, you get hooked.psychobrew

His avitar and sig look like a younger version of what he had before.......(might have been like this for a while, but I don't always pay attention).

i thought it was about the avatar... even then i went to his profile to see if he had uploaded any new pics :P and BTW yes it's a new one... it's been like that for a couple months though.