Do you think Nintendo screwed itself over?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

machod_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 machod_19
Member since 2007 • 523 Posts

If Nintendo had updated its hardware to the level of the Xbox 360 and the PS3, we would be playing much better games. Do you think Nintendo screwed itself ofver by not updated its hardware?

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
Yeah, they're totally screwed. Perhaps some one can save them from all the money.
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
Absolutely not...
lucifer3999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lucifer3999
Member since 2005 • 2319 Posts
Yeah, they're totally screwed. Perhaps some one can save them from all the money.Mike1978Smith
i can! TC i think, if anything, they screw us over Nintendos doing just fine
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
[QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]Yeah, they're totally screwed. Perhaps some one can save them from all the money.lucifer3999

Guy has got it right, Nintendo is the only company that hasn't lost money because there console, the only ones that truly lost out are Nintendo's fans.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Well, I definitely think they screwed themselves over by not building a bigger vault to hold all the gold bars and yen that they're now drowning in.

Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

If Nintendo had updated its hardware to the level of the Xbox 360 and the PS3, we would be playing much better games. Do you think Nintendo screwed itself ofver by not updated its hardware?

machod_19

While I would have preferred that the Wii was somewhere in between the Xbox and 360 in terms of power, it did not need to be as powerful as the other two.

Also, Nintendo was screwed over - not by itself, by gamers. They have created a superficial, false divide. Do you think casual gamers are that aware of this divide? No, its an invisible divide WE created. Because we think we are so special, so unique so much better than everybody else that onbly the hardcore deserve games :roll:

If you dont agree with the direction Nintendo took thats fine. But you're a bit late to complain about it.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like all the crap and shovelware, but people dont buy nearly as much shovelware as people seem to think. The PS2 wasnt exactly shovelware free, and it had the success of the PS brand from the PS1 to boost third party "hardcore" support. Nintendo did not have that luxury.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts
[QUOTE="lucifer3999"][QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]Yeah, they're totally screwed. Perhaps some one can save them from all the money.stike22

Guy has got it right, Nintendo is the only company that hasn't lost money because there console, the only ones that truly lost out are Nintendo's fans.

And gamers in general, the lack of multiplats really stings. Plus we never seem to see any games of a great scale or depth/
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

machod_19

That's not true. Nintendo has the amount of software it has due to it's reputation/report with Western developers/publishers (both of which, have been leading many advancements in gaming) it developed starting back on SNES. It has absolutely nothing to due with hardware power.

That being said, Wii has housed some excellent software in spite of it's hardware. Z+W, Trauma Center, Madworld, HoD OK, SMG, Metroid Prime 3, World of Goo, de Blob, No More Heroes, etc. have all been quality, "Next-gen" designs that use the Wii's hardware and control scheme to it's advantage. Wii has two problems, not enough developers outside of Nintendo pushing the Wii and the fact that games that do, don't get bought.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
Nintendo was screwed over - not by itself, by gamers. They have created a superficial, false divide. Do you think casual gamers are that aware of this divide? No, its an invisible divide WE created. Quofan
i totally agree. i think the marketing departments of s and ms helped out also, thinking it would steer people to their consoles. instead all it did was create this false friff. too bad even the dev's bought this hook line and sinker. now there are so many wii's out there that games will get better and better. the devs have to recognize. the marketing ploy failed.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

machod_19
So, more powerful hardware equals better games, in your opinion?
Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Brawl578
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

I couldn't care less if it had the power of the 360 and PS3. I prefer gameplay over graphics.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

No. Absolutely not. if they tried to compete with a better graphics and processor, they would have had the same results as the GC. And everyone would call Nintendo stupid for not learning.

Now if you want them to include a better card and processor AND motion controllers, you are doing two things:

1) boosting the price out of the range of many gamers. A lower price doesn't automatically mean selling tons of units, but a high price can really hurt it

2) You change the architecture of your system so much that development houses have to spend valuable time and money retraining and purchasing expensive development kits.

Also, most homes do not have an HD TV, so they couldn't benefit the most from an HD console.

Nintendo is in a great position next gen for HD graphics.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#14 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Right, Nintendo is doing just fine. [QUOTE="Rocky32189"][QUOTE="machod_19"]

For the majority of games, of course.
wildjango64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wildjango64
Member since 2009 • 3537 Posts
how have they screwn themselves over??? they practically print money thx to the wii
jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts
[QUOTE="lucifer3999"][QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]Yeah, they're totally screwed. Perhaps some one can save them from all the money.stike22

I don't see how making money off a system is a bad thing. The concept of losing money on a console is that its a short term loss for a long term gain. Its essentially a last ditch tactic when your product will cost more than what people are willing to pay. Nintendo managed to create a popular product without reporting devastating losses. I can guarantee that any company would have used that tactic if they could, its not as if Sony or Microsoft, or even Sega or Atari loves us anymore than Nintendo does. If you think any large scale company cares for the individuals any further than as a consumer, then you see the world in a very strange way.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

I couldn't care less if it had the power of the 360 and PS3. I prefer gameplay over graphics.

Brawl578
What about good gameplay and good graphics?
TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

Also, Nintendo was screwed over - not by itself, by gamers. They have created a superficial, false divide. Do you think casual gamers are that aware of this divide? No, its an invisible divide WE created. Because we think we are so special, so unique so much better than everybody else that onbly the hardcore deserve games :roll:

Thank you VERY much. Nintendo hasn't forgot all of us, they're simply working to expand their user base, and it seems to be working out wonderfully.

sonicfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 sonicfreak1
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

well yeah but lets face it if it was as good we might have antoher acheviment system but on the other hand their games have been pretty cool e.g super smash bros wii that was still good dispite the availble upgrades nintendo could have has so 50 50

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"] [QUOTE="Rocky32189"][QUOTE="machod_19"]

For the majority of games, of course.

Why?
Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Brawl578
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

[QUOTE="Brawl578"]

Lto_thaG

I'm not saying graphics are a bad thing, I'm just saying that if I were stuck on an island and had to choose betwwen a game with horrible graphics but great gameplay and a game with amazing graphics but horrible gameplay, I would choose great gameplay anyday.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="Brawl578"]

Brawl578

I'm not saying graphics are a bad thing, I'm just saying that if I were stuck on an island and had to choose betwwen a game with horrible graphics but great gameplay and a game with amazing graphics but horrible gameplay, I would choose great gameplay anyday.

Aah,I see.I agree.
yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts

Well, I definitely think they screwed themselves over by not building a bigger vault to hold all the gold bars and yen that they're now drowning in.

GabuEx
haha, true that.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

There are plenty of great games out so what is so bad? The VC has tons of great games if you are bored and need to wait for a new release. I'm extremely happy with my wii and the games it is offering. I only have ten games so far so i still need to buy a lot more games.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I don't think this gen is a good indication of whether or not they screwed themselves over. Sure they are raking in the money right now and it has paid off very well, but will it be short lived this generation only? Or will it carry over into the next generation with equal zeal?
3kratos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 3kratos3
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts

Nintendo makes SOOOO much more money compared to the other 2 consoles. They aren't even in Nintendos rear view mirror when it comes to profits. I am not a nintendo fanboy at all, i have the wii and the ds and i think the wii is just a gimick, i have it for my girlfriend. And my ds collects dust most the time, but considering they are the only console that is making money i don't think they screwed up. This console was not made for hardcore gamers and they have no problem keeping it that way.

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

See now I think they could have done a couple of things, given the graphics chip more memory to address so that even at SD it could have had plenty of really good textures and given it really good hardware anti-aliasing.

Other than that I think hardware wise they did the right thing - history prooves that correct.

What they have failed to do is to get games for gamers onto the system that don't involve needless wii-waggle a-la Da Blob (which uses it for the jump and encourage devs to see the true potential of the platform.

We still don't have a single decent car racing game, or even something like F-Zero, we of course have Mario Kart.

They've also failed to do things like bring Fatal Frame to the West.

Oh and while I'm on a roll...................

Mighty_Tyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mighty_Tyr
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Yeah, they're totally screwed. Perhaps some one can save them from all the money.Mike1978Smith

lol, I love that line from Aqua Teen! But yeah, they did screw up in a way. They made such a big deal about how "games don't need the most amazing graphics if they've got good gameplay" (which is kinda true, but only up to a certain point, and isn't true for everyone), and yet now they're working on their wii hd. They were the last ones to have a console this generation (or was that ps3? I don't remember... they were within a few weeks of each other as I recall) and they will be the first to the next generation. That's poor planning, and really sucks for gamers: we can't afford to buy consoles all the time!

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#29 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

machod_19
Not entirely, no. They're certainly challenging -my- loyalty though...
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17826 Posts
nope not really. they needed to clearly differentiate themselves in the market. would we be playing better games on the wii if it was as powerful? not really no because, as we have seen, games designed for a normal controller are generally terrible to control on the wii if/when ported. there are only very few exceptions (okami and RE4 come to mind). combine that with the inevitable dire sales of the wii due to its high cost and most 3rd parties would be ignoring it. if nintendo just made a PS3/360 clone (powerful controller with a controller lke a 360s) then the wii would have been nintendos last console. a pattern was emerging since the N64 and it wasnt looking good for nintendo. chances are it would have sold worse then the GC. nintendo did exactly what they needed to do to remain competative. they moved the battle lines.