Dissapointed in 3DS games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thedude455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thedude455
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts

I can't say that I'm even remotely excited about playing a single game that has been announced for the 3DS. Correct me if I'm out of place here, but the 3DS is boasting some pretty ground breaking technology. Don't you think it deserves a ground breaking game to go with it? When Nintendo entered the 3D platformer genre they blew us all with Mario 64. I know a lot of people won't like this but even the Wii came packaged with Wii sports which as lame as it is at least captivated us with motion sensing gaming. Mario 64 was amazing and I suppose I can't ask for a game like that with every new system but right now the most appealing game for the 3DS is Ocarina of Time in 3D. Which I technically already have sitting in my living! I understand that there are many games in development right now but as of right now I think I'll be holding off on the 3DS until there are games that make this expensive handheld worth buying.

gohanmaster11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gohanmaster11
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

You compare this system to the Nintendo 64 and the Wii. With Mario 64 and Wii Sports, but the Gamecube didn't have anything particularly 'new' about it and so didn't have a 'headlining' game and that did all right? The DS had a touch screen but it didn't have one stand-out piece of software that perfectly shows it's capabilities off. Also, you need to appreciate that just footage of the 64 on a tv advert would have blown the minds of those watching as they can get the 3D Polygon idea from that. Similarly, showing a butch of people in their living room playing Wii Sports gets the idea across. Try and do that with the 3DS. A guy sat on the bus with his 3DS, we see a fuzzy 'double image' on the screen and we then see his face in awe. Doesn't have the same effect, it's hard to get the message across through media.

As for the games, there has to be something you like the system already has a lot of 3rd Party support which has proposed a lot of completely different games. There is over 30 games on the Japanese 3DS website in the works, I'm sure some of them will interest you even if the Japanese launch games don't.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I'm fine with the launch line up. While it doesn't have any jaw dropping titles, there is one that I'm definitely getting and two that I'm probably getting. A launch day system and three games is pretty good haul as far as I'm concerned.

San_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 San_09
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

Unless you live in Japan, why on earth would you be disappointed.

Even then, there are still some good games. Besides no one is telling you to buy day 1.

thedude455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thedude455
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts

I knew someone would bring up the gamecube and the DS touch screen and I'm glad you did. You're clearly right there was no major release for either of those consoles and they've both been very successful. I still feel as if the 3DS has much more to offer than both of those systems ever did though. Gamecube was pretty much just a more powerful N64, the DS is a pretty impressive machine as well offering great graphics and touch screen play. But don't you think that the 3DS is offering much more than either of these systems. It's really the first gaming system to offer 3d gaming to consumers. That's pretty impressive in my opinion even if it is handheld. I just feel as if the 3DS could have greatly benefited from a game that really showed off and flexed some 3D muscle, that's all I'm really saying. Even Kid Icarus would be a strong marketing agent if they could have had it ready on release.

This is just my personal taste people. I'm not saying that the 3DS is gonna be dissapointing at all. Personally, I'm just not very interested in the games that have been announced so far.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I will go out on a limb and say Pilotwings will be bundled in NA/EU 3DS's but sold in Japan, much like Wii Sports and the Wii. There is your game showing off the tech. The games look awesome though.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
A bit, yeah. So far we've got a ton of announced ports (of games that were never designed to be handheld games) and...yeah. It's reminding me of the DS launch, although there the ports were accompanied by games that used the touch-screen horribly. Developers now have a much better idea of how to implement it in games (or leave it out entirely) but they all seem a bit too focused on the 3D part of the 3DS that I'm worried we'll see a bunch of games that look great but aren't much fun to play on the go.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I'm thrilled with the 3DS games so far they all seem to show off different features.

OoT will show us how the controls can work perfectly

MGS3 and PL5 will show us all the neat things 3D can do.

Nintendogs, Mario Kart and hopefully Star Fox will show us the online portion

xXDante666Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xXDante666Xx
Member since 2004 • 3102 Posts

I'm just happy that I have the spare change to get the system on release day. I absolutely love the DS and the 3DS is really looking to keep the ball rolling. I've never really gotten a game console for the launch title games, because I always saw it as a future investment because I knew games would be coming out later that I wanted. But with the 3DS even I have 1-2 games I want in the first few months. That is awesome for me.

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

I'm a little dissapointed in the Japanese launch titles. But like others, I think the list will be a bit different outside Japan. Pilotwings as a bundled game makes sense in so many ways.

The OP says he is dissapointed in what has been ANNOUNCED for the 3DS, and I am feeling quite the opposite. The announced games list is really impressive I think. There is something for pretty much all genres, and there is a ton of 3rd party support - generally an area where Nintendo struggles.

Really I think the only problem Nintendo is going to have with the 3DS, is making them fast enough! The 4 million being made available at launch isn't really enough for Japanese demand, let alone worldwide. They don't need to launch it with a new Mario or a Pokemon, the thing is going to sell out anyway. Once sales begin to slow a little, then they'll bring out a 3D Pokemon game and it will be sold out all over again.....

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts

Yeah, you do that. It's rarely worth it to get a new system just when it launches.

Now, I'm not sure exactly which the launch titles will be, but if Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Street Fighter IV, Metal Gear and Kid Icarus will all launch with the system, I'll be busy.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
the games coming out are great, sure the launch maybe a little weak but all the games already listed for this year is awesome
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

To be honest I think very few games truely made use of the original DS features now that I think about it. I'm sure people will throw loads of examples at me now, but those are surely, in the minority (even in the minority amongst games that are good). The DS simply made up for the fact that it's features were used largely, badly (even by major developers) or simply neglected because it had a solid library of games overall. I agree with the OP that the launch list (and launch window list), well, basically everything shown so far, hasn't done much to sell the concept of 3D as something other than an improvement rather than a fundemental change. That's not to say that I am dissapointed in the launch window though as it does demonstrate publishers are on board once again, and with major franchises.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

So far we've got a ton of announced ports (of games that were never designed to be handheld games) and...yeah.DJ_Lae

I think that's the best way to sum up the software

Also to add further insult to injury Nintendo is charging a premium for these titles, it's not like they say "well you already played this game and know how it ends so 20 bucks and it's yours."

No, we see that the games are coming in at 49.99

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]So far we've got a ton of announced ports (of games that were never designed to be handheld games) and...yeah.Jaysonguy

I think that's the best way to sum up the software

Also to add further insult to injury Nintendo is charging a premium for these titles, it's not like they say "well you already played this game and know how it ends so 20 bucks and it's yours."

No, we see that the games are coming in at 49.99

Didn't somebody post about that? It was said that the $50 price tag wasn't officially confirmed by Gamestop at least. And, I heard that some guy from Nintendo said that 3DS games will be priced similarly to DS games.
Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

I hear alot of complaining about the 3DS launch titles but honestly how many systems actually launch with a triple A title?? I was talking to my cousin the other day and I asked if he would buy a 3DS. He said for what?? All they have is remakes. Yeah.. for now. I mean the DS launched with some remakes too. No system has great games at launch. The only exception I can think of is the N64 (Mario 64) and PS3 ( Resistance and it wasn't that great).

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

My main gripe with the software lineup is that there are several ports and remakes, yet all the new titles haven't been ready to announce yet.

YoungFlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 YoungFlitz
Member since 2011 • 854 Posts

I really don't like a few games. Like the submarine sinking one. I think that is really stupid.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Nah, not at all. I'm very excited for Animal Crossing 3DS (which is looking like it's gonna be rather different from City Folk, whew), Resident Evil: Revelations, and Zelda. As far as games that are coming out soon, I'm looking forward to Professor Layton and Super Monkey Ball.
Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nubukon
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

I'm not personally interested in any of the games in the launch lineup, but there are a lot of 3DS games I am looking forward to (LoZ, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil, etc.)

Silos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Silos911
Member since 2010 • 615 Posts

I'm forcing myself to wait for the next iteration of the 3DS. By then there'll be a lot of quality games and I'll get a better, and most likely cheaper (then launch price) version of the system. Also the virtual console will have more.

I'm actually excited to play Ocarina of Time, however I hope they add something to the package, like the master quest version or something. I want new, otehrwise I doubt I'll pick it up until a price drop or something.

DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Very, I don't see even one FPS announced for it, not that they'd work every well, but still. Nintendo really dropped the ball this time, watch the 3DS get steamrolled when Modern Warfare 3 is announced for the PSP2, and it plays and looks just as good as it does on the PS3.

redmangoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 redmangoose
Member since 2006 • 397 Posts

I'm not dissapointed. I'm actually looking forward to a few of the titles, especially Kid Icarus and Animal Crossing. For a starting line up it's pretty good. Look at the DS now and it's library. It's been what 5? or 6 years and it's still coming out with astounding titles every year.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

I can live with SSF4 and PkmnW while they release Zelda, MGS3 and MK.

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

Very, I don't see even one FPS announced for it, not that they'd work every well, but still. Nintendo really dropped the ball this time, watch the 3DS get steamrolled when Modern Warfare 3 is announced for the PSP2, and it plays and looks just as good as it does on the PS3.

DerpyMcDerp

People in general really don't buy handhelds for FPS games. Puzzles, RPGs and stuff like that are the most popular portable genres, and the 3DS is going to have plenty of those!

Plus the touch screen and Slidepad combo would be good for FPS games I think.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

DerpyMcDerp
The PSP was significantly better in the graphics department than the DS and the DS still dominated the market. Graphics isn't everything. Also I would like to know the battery life on that thing if it indeed does have PS3 level graphics.
HungryLuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HungryLuma
Member since 2009 • 1131 Posts

All I really want for the 3DS is: Paper Mario 3DS, Animal Crossing 3DS, Legend of Zelda OoT 3DS, Mario Kart 3DS, and some other games.