Did Nintendo forget about the hardcore fans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drummersteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drummersteve
Member since 2006 • 85 Posts
Topic
MOHaashkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MOHaashkilla
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

Well they are no different than any other company out there. Normally at launch there are only 1-3 games that are fun or worth the money. Then over the next year they get maybe 4 more good games....Then its that way from there on...

I could care less if the Wii gets anything other than bowling, tenis, pool..ect...This is the way those games should be played...I have other consoles for shooting.... 

Guckyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Guckyy
Member since 2007 • 1227 Posts
Patience is key. Wait another 4 or five months.
enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enduin
Member since 2003 • 1364 Posts
No, just look at the games announced since the Wii's launch and the games set to be released by the end of the year.  There are a ton of hardcore games coming, and I bet a lot more to be announced around E3 and after.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11932 Posts
Nope.  N didn't forget about the hardcore fans, I am one and I love it.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Explain yourself, there is metroid, brawl, and galaxy coming out this year, along with disaster, and project hammer. Thats form Nintendo alone, so I would say no they did not.
CRAZIE_GUY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CRAZIE_GUY
Member since 2005 • 737 Posts

VC doesnt really count, but R-Type truly never gets old.

or easy.

delta426

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 delta426
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts
i think there really aiming aall ages. sadly leaving out hard-core games for party games.
toddH_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 toddH_basic
Member since 2002 • 469 Posts
Yeah, they completely forgot. Subjects like 'hardcore fans' tend to slip the minds of major video game developer pretty easily.
Avatar image for the_offical_jim
the_offical_jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_offical_jim
Member since 2003 • 282 Posts
they haven't forgot. They just care alot less about the hardcore fans.
ReeceBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 ReeceBrown
Member since 2005 • 1973 Posts
metroid is comming my son give it time
Xerlaoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xerlaoth
Member since 2005 • 1059 Posts

they haven't forgot. They just care alot less about the hardcore fans.the_offical_jim

explain that comment please 

sammy_m20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 sammy_m20
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

Dude the Wii hasn't even been out for that long, give it some time.

***** :roll: *****

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
Manhunt 2 and No More Heroes say no.  
Well, if Hardcore and Mature mean the same thing
creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts

Explain yourself, there is metroid, brawl, and galaxy coming out this year, along with disaster, and project hammer. Thats form Nintendo alone, so I would say no they did not.Sepewrath

Exactly. nintendo is looking after us 

curious_dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 curious_dead
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts
Mmmm... SSX Blur, Mortal Kombat so far this year appeal mostly to hardcore or at least semi-hardcore (SSX Blur is quite hard, and MK caters to its fans). Coming, I can see RE4, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, Manhunt 2, Project Hammer, Disaster, Alein Syndrome, FF: Crystal Bearers, SSBB, I'm sure I forget a few also.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts

no. a true gamer would like to try something new. Most people concider themselve gamers when they play shooters or rpg's.....

Nintendo is expanding the gaming society. So that gaming will be similar to reading, listening music, watching movies..  

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#19 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

no. a true gamer would like to try something new. Most people concider themselve gamers when they play shooters or rpg's.....

Nintendo is expanding the gaming society. So that gaming will be similar to reading, listening music, watching movies..

danneswegman

I agree, there's no need to be so conservative in terms of trying the new games. 

spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts

What's a hardcore game? Lots of blood, guts and swearing, I think the term hardcore gamer is way over rated.  Hardcore games should be fun and have good replay value imo.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
Gamecube had a drought as well, But SSBM was enough to keep me busy ^^
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

It's hard to answer that.  While many 13 year olds on this forum like to call themselves "hardcore" while only buying casual-type games, only caring about hyped-AAA titles and bashing everything they don't own...I don't personally call them hardcore.  I don't care that they may master those games and play 20 hours a day.  To mean that isn't being a hardcore gamer but moreso being a hardcore FPSer player or a hardcore fanboy.  

Nintendo still has a way to go to appeal to the "hardcore gamer" as I define it.  But they are more likely to do so, I think, that any other console due to their willingness to take risks and try something new and different and make it fun.  That's why I've been gaming my whole life and why I started feeling bored with gaming last gen and why I bought the WIi first this gen. 

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

No they didn't.

What people fail to realize is Nintendo had to market to the other audience, the non-gamer.

To do this required attention to games that were simple and easy to pick up.

Nintendo has a stack of first party "hardcore" titles, as well as third party developers are realizing the Wii's fanbase increasing will begin to throw on more "serious" titles (that what as an ugly sentence).

The fact is that Nintendo put its loyal fanbase aside, promised future greatness in turn for an expanded audience during the launch year.

The games are coming.  Period.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ead18461c800
deactivated-5ead18461c800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5ead18461c800
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts

To answer the topic: no, they haven't forgotten. They just don't care that much.

Perrin Kaplan even explained that they're not focusing on satisfying the hardcore gamer, seeing as how it's hard to do that anyway. They are focusing on CASUAL gamers this time.

clarkeyboy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 clarkeyboy21
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

No, not at all, basically it's a marketing strategy.

1. Firstly they pull in all the markets with all around fun (as well as the hardcore peeps)

2. Then they release more hardcore games in the future (SSBB + MSCF)

3. This means they have gained all round money and keeping thier customers happy.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

No they didn't.

What people fail to realize is Nintendo had to market to the other audience, the non-gamer.

To do this required attention to games that were simple and easy to pick up.

Nintendo has a stack of first party "hardcore" titles, as well as third party developers are realizing the Wii's fanbase increasing will begin to throw on more "serious" titles (that what as an ugly sentence).

The fact is that Nintendo put its loyal fanbase aside, promised future greatness in turn for an expanded audience during the launch year.

The games are coming.  Period.

sonic_spark

Amen

benjaminjoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 benjaminjoel
Member since 2006 • 644 Posts
I thought Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario were proof that Nintendo has not forgotten the hardcore section. Plus, there's the upcoming Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Galaxy.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

If 'hardcore' means people who only think a game is good if it contains graphic violence, profanity, sex and/or drugs, then I don't think Nintendo forgot about them.  Nintendo has never made those kinds of games.

MrVigeant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrVigeant
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Last time I checked hardcore is a music scene with kids thrashing eachother in moshpits, not stayin at home all day to play a game with violence because they're too scared for the real thing ;)

Mr_Doodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr_Doodle
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts

Before we can answer the topic question, we need to find the definition of hardcore games. Are we thinking about the stereotyped hardcore games filled with, just as it was stated above, sex and violence? Or are we thinking about the actual definition of a hardcore gamer which is too difficult to think up because everyone has differing opinions.

I say that a hardcore gamer is somebody who likes video games more than the average person, maybe even as a hobby, but I know that everyone else has very different ideas for this mystery definition.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Nintendo is actually doing their bit for hardcore gamers just fine. But 3rd parties find their material more suitable for the 360, PS3, PC with larger hardcore audiences and the technology to push that frontier.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

If 'hardcore' means people who only think a game is good if it contains graphic violence, profanity, sex and/or drugs, then I don't think Nintendo forgot about them.  Nintendo has never made those kinds of games.

aransom
The content has nothing to do with it. Zelda and Prime for instance qualify as hardcore games just as much Oblivion or GTA IV.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ead18461c800
deactivated-5ead18461c800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5ead18461c800
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts

I thought Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario were proof that Nintendo has not forgotten the hardcore section. Plus, there's the upcoming Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Galaxy.benjaminjoel

LMAO

The kids on this board never cease to amaze me.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
urrrm...godfather, zelda, paper mario, mario strikers,mortal kombat, heatseeker, etc there are loads, i hate this whole "hardcore" thing, i mean wth? whats hardcore? you play games 24 hours a day? thats known as sad, and people like that only love 360 cause its got online, so they call themselves hardcore because they only care if a game has online multiplayer
SaxxyGamer18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#35 SaxxyGamer18
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts
I gotta say that they have at the moment, but I think plenty of hardcore fans are going to enjoy SSBB, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Galaxy. They're just getting started, and they've got a big job to do with appeasing both new players and old fans. It's a tough balance, and they're the only ones doing it. I'm not afraid. The DS is pretty dang hardcore, and it appeals to the other crowd too.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
they havent forgotten they're putting more emphasis on casual games and gamers. so far  it seems they careless but i dont think they've forgotten hardcore gamers. they have several game coming out i classify as hardcore like metroid, batallion wars, disaster doc and i guess brawl but thats a game im sure will appeal to casuals aswell. has their focus changed?yeah but have they forgotten hardcore gamers? no
PandaSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PandaSamurai
Member since 2004 • 1152 Posts

I would define a "hardcore gamer" as someone who plays games a lot. Not only that, but they must play at least a few different types of games that take some level of skill or strategy to master. I would also say that playing certain niche genres or sub-genres contributes to being one. Furthermore, someone who just plays sports games and shooters (this is the generic person around these parts)

That said, I think Nintendo hasn't forgotten about us, they're just not making too many games to appeal to said audience. There's SSBB, MP3, and Super Mario Galaxy, and Crystal Bearers, but I don't see much else coming within the year. 

Well they are no different than any other company out there. Normally at launch there are only 1-3 games that are fun or worth the money. Then over the next year they get maybe 4 more good games....Then its that way from there on...

I could care less if the Wii gets anything other than bowling, tenis, pool..ect...This is the way those games should be played...I have other consoles for shooting....

MOHaashkilla

This is someone I would call a casual gamer (no offense.) According to that post, he only really plays sports games and shooters. More people need to play RPGs, fighters, and action games. For a casual gamer like this person, (again, I don't mean to offend you) there are only a few games worth buying for each system. However the PS2, for example, had an extremely wide variety of games. I like to play just about every kind of game, as long as it's of good quality. For my PS2, I was constantly looking forward to buying games, there were at least 2 games I wanted to buy per month. The fact I play a lot of RPGs contributes to that, but even besides RPGs there were tons of games to buy. Just about all of those games were 3rd party. For the Wii, there isn't as much strong 3rd party support. To make up for this, we get excellent games once in a while, most often made by Nintendo or a 2nd party.

eattacosAMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 eattacosAMR
Member since 2006 • 435 Posts
NO they didnt were just getting games nobody cares about right now
vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 vnc20100
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
Why don't you do some researches before posting . There are, RIGHT now, hardcore games (yes, just look for them) and MANY more coming (go there, that list isn't even complete). Please people, stop making useless posts. Sorry, I needed to rant a little :-)
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
no.. dont think so.
SnipeyMcSnipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SnipeyMcSnipe
Member since 2006 • 2010 Posts
They didn't forget, they just haven't been treating them very well. Wanna know why? The general public has more money than a small group of hardcore gamers.
Zelda_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 Zelda_Maniac
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts

Well i agree and disagree with that statement.i agree partialy because i dont think nintendo was really thinking when the desinged the Wii. Motion Sencing is a good revolutionary idea but with all of nintendos franchises and all the games to come out for it is it really the best idea. But i disagree because this is still pritty much a brand new console and it will be a few months before anymore good big titles come out.