Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin worth playing again?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fierce_deity13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fierce_deity13
Member since 2005 • 4899 Posts
I got Order of Ecclesia recently, and I am really liking it. But I started to look back at the older DS Castlevania games. I know I wouldn't be able to play DoS again. As good as it was, I just found there to be so much to do, that replaying it would be overwhelming. I found Portrait of Ruin to be easy, but I don't remember getting everything in the game. I don't even recall getting the best ending. So I was wondering, after I beat Ecclesia, would going back to Portrait be a good idea or investment? I hear people saying that PoR was the worst. It wasn't as good as the other DS CVs but I still felt like it was true to the series.
LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 LuckyChan
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

I know I wouldn't be able to play DoS again. As good as it was, I just found there to be so much to do, that replaying it would be overwhelming.fierce_deity13

What's wrong with "so much to do (in the game)"? It helps to keep you playing and coming back.

If you mean you have to do so much things to complete the game, it's wrong. There are many for you to explore but you are not required to do all of them. Most are skippable (eg like soul collection, soul-weapon fusion, and all sorts of secrets and trophies).

If you don't want to do so much, just don't do so much. Do just what you want and finish the game.

Several unlockables will be unlocked once you complete the game. First you can play the game again in hard level. Don't worry. All souls (except a few types), weapons and money will be transferred to the new game. There is a boss rush for you to challenge. Kill all bosses and complete as fast as possible. There is a Julius Mode where you will control Julius (and later his fellows) to fight Castlevani this time. The replay value is high even after you complete the game once. It's worth buying!

After all, each series of Castlevania in DS has its own style. You won't find it reptitive even if you play the previous series. If you like Order of Ecclesia, you are going to like Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait Ruin too.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

I've actually been playing through all my Castlevanias, GBA and DS... They're definitely worth playing again if you've only gone through them once.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
If you found Portrait easy, try any of the GB (NOT GBA) Castlevani games. There on the same difficulty level as the NES ones. Have fun!
fierce_deity13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fierce_deity13

Thanks guys. I never played the GB Castlevanias. I'd like to try them out. I have however played Aria of Sorrow, Harmony of Dissonance, and Dawn of Sorrow to death. I liked Dawn of Sorrow, and have completed it around 3 times now with absolutely everything complete. That's what I meant by "too much to do". If I'm gonna play the game, I'm gonna do everything. Which is why I'm surprised I only played Portrait of Ruin to a limit. I don't remember why I stopped, it's kind of creepy.

But getting Dawn of Sorrow again isn't the issue, getting PoR again is. If I find it uber cheap, I'll pick it up. Cause I'd really like to get into it again, and I'll keep my eyes open for the GB Castlevanias. Thanks for the help.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#6 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
Uh... I think you;d be better off asking your self that question. Did you like it enough that you want to go back and lay it again? We can't answer that for you.
fierce_deity13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fierce_deity13

Uh... I think you;d be better off asking your self that question. Did you like it enough that you want to go back and lay it again? We can't answer that for you.BuryMe

I don't remember that much from it. I played it for a little bit, but I must have been playing something else alongside it, cause I don't remember if it was really that good. But it came time that I wanted Phantom Hourglass, so I sold a bunch of my DS games, Portrait included, and I don't know if I should pick it up again. So that's why I wanted know if it had a lasting impression on anybody else. That way I can get an idea. But thanks anyway.

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

I don't understand.

There are other modes to play, harder modes to play, and you can always choose how much you want to do outside of the specific path necessary to complete the story. Any of the Castlevania games can be played multiple times.

PoR isn't terrible. I enjoyed about as much as I enjoyed DoS. I think I liked it even more because it felt more RPG-esque with all the quirky accessories and such you could equip and the spells you could use.

shogoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shogoh
Member since 2003 • 571 Posts
I find Castlevania games (since SOTN) incredibly fun to play multiple times. The reason is that, after a couple of months, I tend to forget map layouts and areas so I'm able to have fun. I hate restarting games when I remember everything. I could play Dawn of Sorrow almost like it was a new Castlevania game since I played it three years ago. I don't remember the maps really well, just the boss fights maybe.
GodsPetFido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 GodsPetFido
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts
Do you like spending money for a game then selling it, and repeating? Why are you hurting yourself? Either invest in a game and keep it, or don't let your money touch it at all. I rely on that rule because past mistakes have been accounted for.
fierce_deity13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fierce_deity13

Do you like spending money for a game then selling it, and repeating? Why are you hurting yourself? Either invest in a game and keep it, or don't let your money touch it at all. I rely on that rule because past mistakes have been accounted for.GodsPetFido

As true as that is, money has never been an issue for me. I always have it, but I'd rather spend it on something worth while. But if I grow bored of a game, I usually sell it, just so I can get something for it. And like I said, I was enticed by Phantom Hourglass. So I sold PoR, but I don't exactly remember if I hated it for any particular reason, and OoE has got me nostalgic. So I was just curious, but if it really is unorthodox to buy a game for nostalgia, I won't. But once again, I just wanted to know what people thought. Thanks.