Can the DS use WPA?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nomadandsuzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nomadandsuzie
Member since 2005 • 321 Posts
I do not understand why the DS seems to use WEP only for connecting to a router. WEP is broken, and no one uses it anymore. My Wii uses WPA and connects to my router with no problem. I always use WPA with my router for security, and I would really like to use my DS with the router. Does anyone know if there is someway to "upgrade" the DS to use WPA?
firedonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 firedonut
Member since 2007 • 390 Posts
I don't believe there is a way to upgrade the DS to use WPA, unfortunately. It's the main reason I hardly ever go online with my DS honestly. Well, if I do, I just "borrow" a neoghbor's connection for a while. :P
Mystic_Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mystic_Legend
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts
Nope, the DS can only do WEP security, the only way you can do it is if you set up WEP security instead of WPA (WEP is inferior so not so smart..) or just disable your security when you want to play. It's kinda lame you can't though..
merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts
my neibors have wep :D 50% connection its there fault for leaving it open.
Yodelyfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Yodelyfish
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts
ya the ds cant afford to have security locked internet signals. Tried settin up WEP with my planex wifi adapter...never worked. Just gotta lower the settings i guess
Nomadandsuzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nomadandsuzie
Member since 2005 • 321 Posts

Well, thanks to everyone for replying. I guess I knew all along that it was not possible, but there was still the faint hope someone might have a work around or news that Nintendo was going to have an "update" coming. Thanks again.