Blowing into the microphone must be banned!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d0bc5893bf2
deactivated-57d0bc5893bf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-57d0bc5893bf2
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

To quote IGN: "...microphone blowing is so 2005. It wasn't a whole lot of fun when developers did it in the DS' early years, and it's still not fun now..."

I had hoped that due to the general opinion that it sucks (or blows!) developers were no longer using it, but to my horror it is going to be used in Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (is nothing sacred?!) Blowing into the microphone is a horrible, horrible gimmick. It is irritating, contrived, tiresome, impractical, and embarrassing (for all concerned). It is intensely annoying that you have to bring the console up towards your mouth, that you therefore can't really see the screens, that you get spit on the screen, that it gives you a headache, that it is totally inconsistent, that you can't play the games in public (ie. on the bus or train which is what handheld games are for!) because it's utterly humiliating.

It is not "innovative" or "immersive" it's just an annoying, cheap, nasty gimmick! It is not taking gaming forwards, it's just taking it sideways. It's just being different for the sake of being different. I know that (luckily) it's barely used, but still, it completely ruins any game that does use it.

Every time I "blow into the microphone" a little piece of me dies on the inside.

Posted at 10:47AM on Aug 15th 2007 by Hame on ds fanboy

PDBHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PDBHP
Member since 2005 • 129 Posts

To quote IGN: "...microphone blowing is so 2005. It wasn't a whole lot of fun when developers did it in the DS' early years, and it's still not fun now..."

I had hoped that due to the general opinion that it sucks (or blows!) developers were no longer using it, but to my horror it is going to be used in Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (is nothing sacred?!) Blowing into the microphone is a horrible, horrible gimmick. It is irritating, contrived, tiresome, impractical, and embarrassing (for all concerned). It is intensely annoying that you have to bring the console up towards your mouth, that you therefore can't really see the screens, that you get spit on the screen, that it gives you a headache, that it is totally inconsistent, that you can't play the games in public (ie. on the bus or train which is what handheld games are for!) because it's utterly humiliating.

It is not "innovative" or "immersive" it's just an annoying, cheap, nasty gimmick! It is not taking gaming forwards, it's just taking it sideways. It's just being different for the sake of being different. I know that (luckily) it's barely used, but still, it completely ruins any game that does use it.

Every time I "blow into the microphone" a little piece of me dies on the inside.

Posted at 10:47AM on Aug 15th 2007 by Hame on ds fanboy

jn696

I agree with you 100% blowing into the mic is so rubbish I dont understand why any game developer would even consider making gamers use it at all I would avoid any game that tries to make me humiliate myself by blowing into it like an idiot...

_Charlie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 _Charlie_
Member since 2006 • 181 Posts
I do agree that it is rather pointless and not much fun, but the way you describe is very dramatic and a bit too harsh, its not THAT bad.....
kingkui12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kingkui12
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
i just get a fan and put my DS in front of it
JelloHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JelloHawk
Member since 2006 • 112 Posts
I do agree that it is rather pointless and not much fun, but the way you describe is very dramatic and a bit too harsh, its not THAT bad....._Charlie_

Exactly. That whole big piece of crap you just wrote up there.. was the same thing over and over.
ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts

I completely agree. It's dumb. Let's all boycott Zelda now!

... or not :).

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
Somebody needs more sleep.
Avatar image for TheMadcapLaughs
TheMadcapLaughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheMadcapLaughs
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts
I personally thought that blowing into the mic was used quite well in Warioware Touched.
FireCracker146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FireCracker146
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts
I personally thought that blowing into the mic was used quite well in Warioware Touched.TheMadcapLaughs
And in Mario Kart.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
I almost fainted the first time I tried it. Since then, my electrical fan is my best friend:).
darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darkshadow64
Member since 2004 • 6744 Posts
Wow...

I think the blowing thing is cool. :) Especially in Phantom Hourglass. Having to blow out candles and fans. It was clever.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d0bc5893bf2
deactivated-57d0bc5893bf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57d0bc5893bf2
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

it would be cool if it actually worked half the time. Oh and mic blowingfor life baloons ruined mariokart battle mode!

piano_lord92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 piano_lord92
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts
That's why it's so annoying, is cause it doesn't work half the time.
RawhideSphinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RawhideSphinx
Member since 2004 • 527 Posts
Everything about nintendo is gimicky, wii remote, stylist, blowing. It's just not for me and it turns me far away from nintendo. I have a DS and 1 game, FFIII. I will be making the jump to the PSP for some old fashioned gaming. No blowing for me.
inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inzaneetie013
Member since 2007 • 1385 Posts
uhmm the mic works great for me. it was a good gimmick and was made to get a lot of money from the parent's pockets
wnba15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wnba15
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts

What the hell? You don't have to get that close to the mic. Well, atleast I don't. You can see the screen and still blow. It works fine for me, but then again my sister can't do it.

And as long as its used sparingly, I think its fine. I agree with one of the users above, it does sound clever the way it will be used in ZPH.

Maybe you should learn how to blow better. You don't have to spit.

Darth_JO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darth_JO
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts

What the hell? You don't have to get that close to the mic. Well, atleast I don't. You can see the screen and still blow. It works fine for me, but then again my sister can't do it.

And as long as its used sparingly, I think its fine. I agree with one of the users above, it does sound clever the way it will be used in ZPH.

wnba15
I agree completley
I2unner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 I2unner
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Well, if it is used like in Zelda or Diddy Kong Racing i thinks its okay because it kinda makes u part of the game, as weird as that may sound :P

in Mario kart there should be an option to turn it off because i also almost fainted few times trying to get a balloon while my opponent just kicked my ass because i couldnt play and blow at the same time :(

urahara9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 urahara9
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

well, the mic isn't just for blowing on Zelda. you actually yell at the mic for some of the quests.

and yeah, i did yell at the mic saying: "why the hell am i yelling at my DS!?!? this is ridiculous-----ly awesome!!". well, not really....

apu0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 apu0404
Member since 2005 • 3682 Posts

wnba15

rofl,
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Does it really even matter, it's not going to kill you to blow into a microphone.
AznTakumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 AznTakumi
Member since 2007 • 750 Posts
Lol, Yeah,
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Yeah its a bit of a rubbish feature, but its no so bad with a headset.
Ellimist314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 Ellimist314
Member since 2007 • 1375 Posts
Maybe it's different for some people than with others, I've never found it difficult or inconvenient to blow into the mic. I don't even have to move the ds closer to me at all.
IXIWhistIXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 IXIWhistIXI
Member since 2004 • 512 Posts

The only time I thought mic blowing was kinda fun was in nintendogs for the bubble blower...something you didn't actually have to do to progress in the game.

I agree with you on everything except for the can't play in public thing.

Why not?

When I'm cold in public I cup my hands and blow into them...I never think, oh god, that guy I don't know and will probably never see again is judging me right now.

If I had no idea what a DS was besides a handheld gaming device, and I saw some kid blowing on his...I'd probably think he was cleaning the screen or something. Even if I couldn't figure out blowing must be some part of the game, the most I'd think is "man, that kid is weird" and I'd never see him again anyways so what does it matter what I think about him?

IF you're that worried about being judged by people who don't know you, you should just give up on life now...becasue you can't avoid going out in public forever.

Besides, think about it, there are always people judging the cloths you're wearing or your haircut...you can't get a haircut and wardrobe that nobody will think is dumb.

I'm going to go blow on my DS wearing a speedo while riding a bus now just to prove my point.

dark_hero_riku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 dark_hero_riku
Member since 2006 • 240 Posts
Drama queen
weltall1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 weltall1028
Member since 2007 • 4775 Posts
I agree, blowing into the mic is a stupid gimmick. Luckily, New Super Mario Bros is the only game I own that actually uses that feature.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts
OBJECTION! That's quite a few expletives for such a small thing, but w/e. Sure its kinda gimmicky, but it's optional on most games that have it and at least Nintendo's trying out some new things. I give em props for it but yeah it is kinda embarrasing :lol:
FireCracker146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FireCracker146
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts

The only time I thought mic blowing was kinda fun was in nintendogs for the bubble blower...something you didn't actually have to do to progress in the game.

I agree with you on everything except for the can't play in public thing.

Why not?

When I'm cold in public I cup my hands and blow into them...I never think, oh god, that guy I don't know and will probably never see again is judging me right now.

If I had no idea what a DS was besides a handheld gaming device, and I saw some kid blowing on his...I'd probably think he was cleaning the screen or something. Even if I couldn't figure out blowing must be some part of the game, the most I'd think is "man, that kid is weird" and I'd never see him again anyways so what does it matter what I think about him?

IF you're that worried about being judged by people who don't know you, you should just give up on life now...becasue you can't avoid going out in public forever.

Besides, think about it, there are always people judging the cloths you're wearing or your haircut...you can't get a haircut and wardrobe that nobody will think is dumb.

I'm going to go blow on my DS wearing a speedo while riding a bus now just to prove my point.

IXIWhistIXI
Wow dude, someone could base there whole life on that opinion... deep.... Except the speedo thing, don't, for all of our sakes.
podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts
I agree. It makes me light-headed most of the time and gets spit all over the screen :D
Sesshiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sesshiroth
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I personally have no problems whatsoever with the mic system, other than one incident where I was on a bus playing Phoenix Wright and the thing wouldnt detect my voice. I screamed OBJECTION as loud as I could, and it turned into a ratherawkward moment.

gacs_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 gacs_25
Member since 2006 • 505 Posts
Oh please. I can see that your gigantic post is just about you being humiliated. Who cares what people think? I mean, I used to play with my DS at school (before they banned video games) and I used to play with the Yoshi mini game in NEWSMB with my friends. Geez you are being so dramatic.
Sesshiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sesshiroth
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Nono, I love the mic system, I was just sharing one of the many awkward moments in my life related to it. Sorry if it was off topic.

gacs_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 gacs_25
Member since 2006 • 505 Posts
No, not you.
draftrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 draftrough
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts
i dont hate it and i dont like it i find it quite funny actually but i did like the blowing dust off of old pictures in trace memory.
Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37 Video_Tycoon
Member since 2007 • 677 Posts
My microphone isn't working so I've been avoiding MK lately. xD It sucks when I need to use it to progress because I have to use a different DS.
rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#38 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts

I personally have no problems whatsoever with the mic system, other than one incident where I was on a bus playing Phoenix Wright and the thing wouldnt detect my voice. I screamed OBJECTION as loud as I could, and it turned into a ratherawkward moment.

hmm, you could have just used your stylus and press "present" hehehe anyway, i dont hate the mic, but blowing into a handheld in public and even talking or screaming something into it does make you look weird.

Sesshiroth
Advance_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Advance_101
Member since 2003 • 18751 Posts
Hey, at least its better than yelling into the microphone, like you had to for one minigame in Feel The Magic. You dont have to blow hard like the wind, you need to do it lightly and quietly. Nobody would notice anyways.
drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

okay. first off, major lol to the reply above mine. :)

second, it seems okay in Zelda and it was very cool in MKDS. But for the week that I had DKR DS, omg I hated it! I got really lightheaded from it. I very quickly got used to not using a boost at the start of hovercraft races.

kerrylsl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kerrylsl
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts
Does it work, but I find it hilarious and when I describe to my friends we really had a good laugh.
kerrylsl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kerrylsl
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts

Yep, I almost died from lack of oxygen and almost cough to death and spitted a lot of saliva all over my DS, but it was funny for a short while anyway.

Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
i know its not practical but the way u talk about it its like the second holocaust jeez lighten up BUT that dsnt make me a fan i had to use it in pokemon pearl and i wuz stuck in a trap 4 like 2 minutes cuz i couldnt get the damn thing to work
piano_lord92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 piano_lord92
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

I blow a narrow stream of air right on top and that works fine. You can't just huff and puff at it.

JelloHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JelloHawk
Member since 2006 • 112 Posts
I think we made him cry..