Best pokemon game to start with?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 orrytur
Member since 2004 • 1682 Posts

I've never played any pokemon game before, and all I know are the main pokemons(Charizard, balbasur, pikachu) basically Ash'es pokemons. I'm totally new to the whole pokemon versions so I have no clue on which one to start with, I beleive Black/White is the newest one but there's also soulsilver, diamond, etc. Which one is the best to start with? Thanks.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
FireRed or LeafGreen on GBA. Basically an updated rerelease of the original red and blue versions. It was the last(and best, in my opinion) Pokemon game I played before the roster got so inflated that I couldn't take it seriously any more.
orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 orrytur
FireRed or LeafGreen on GBA. Basically an updated rerelease of the original red and blue versions. It was the last(and best, in my opinion) Pokemon game I played before the roster got so inflated that I couldn't take it seriously any more.El_Zo1212o
I would prefer a DS game
desk_jet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 desk_jet
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

For DS the best pokemon game in my opinion is platinum, black and white are good too, but platinum is a better game to start with.

kerimblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 kerimblue13
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

Umm well you can really start with any one the pokemon games for the DS. If I were you, I would just start with White or Black because they are the newest

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

Black and White are the best in storyline and it's also great fun. You'll also be up to date with the newest Pokemons.

Anyway, Heart Gold/Soul Silver are the most fun pokemon games in my opinion. Really fun and quite a lot to do in it.

I would start out with HG/SS if i were you.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Start with Heart Gold.

limonman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 limonman32
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

I would say Silver/Gold, but that is on the GBC (its my personal favorite)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I haven't played one since Blue on the game boy, and I went with Black. The speed of the battles is nicely sped up from the previous games, from what I've seen in videos. And given how much time you spend fighting, I don't think I'd be able to stand having to wait longer for moves to be performed.
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Heart Gold, all the way.

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 orrytur

Black and White are the best in storyline and it's also great fun. You'll also be up to date with the newest Pokemons.

Anyway, Heart Gold/Soul Silver are the most fun pokemon games in my opinion. Really fun and quite a lot to do in it.

DGonlag
I will probably get B/W but just a quick question, will I able to see/catch first gen Pokemons like charizard, pikachu,balbazur ,etc?
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I played a little bit of FireRed and got bored after the first hour. Then I tried Platinum and it was pretty much the exact same game but with new Pokemon. So it doesn't really matter which one you start with, if you're just trying to relive some childhood memories you'll have more fun staring at a Pokemon card
kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts
i'd start with R/S.. or HG/SS
pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Just go with Black/White, you won't have to deal with 3 generations of backlog until after you finish the main storyline.

EDIT: *after noticing TC's post on second page* Starters were never catchable to begin with :P You might find some first generation Pokemon here and there, but for the rarer ones you have to ask for a trade online.

Avatar image for angryassdrummer
angryassdrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 angryassdrummer
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

i just bought my first Pokemon game myself, Black. seems as good a place to start as anywhere

altho on pokemon specific forums they say start with Heartgold

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

[QUOTE="DGonlag"]

orrytur

I will probably get B/W but just a quick question, will I able to see/catch first gen Pokemons like charizard, pikachu,balbazur ,etc?

You will be able to catch Pokemon's of the generation you're talking about. But not the starters, meaning charmander (first evolution of Charizard), bulbasaur, and squirtle.

I think you can find trainers in the game though who have them, so then you could search them up on the GTS (Trading station via internet).

I'm not sure about that though, so you might not be able to get them at all. But most other pokemons are available.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Heart Gold and Soul Silver are remakes of the two best games in the series, but with a shiny coat. The main game also feels a lot longer with much more to do.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I would say it depends which DS you have.

If you have the GBA, DS or DS lite I would suggest Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen.
If you have DSi, 3DS or just don't want a GBA game, then go with HeartGold and SoulSilver.

yoshisgirl2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yoshisgirl2000
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts
well my first pokemon was diamond a couple of years ago, but to be honest that game has aged really badly... if I was about to pick my first pokemon NOW, I'd go with either hg/ss or b/w they're both immensly fun and addicting games.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Play HeartGold/SoulSilver first to familiarize yourself with the first 493 pokemon. Then buy Black/White.

The 5th gen just started so you have enough time (around 4 years) to catch up before GameFreak introduces the new batch of pokemon.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
[QUOTE="DGonlag"]

orrytur

Not in the wild, but you could trade one of the Pokemon you catch for those online.