Are the Wii's "casual" games hurting gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funky_muzic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funky_muzic
Member since 2006 • 249 Posts
I've heard this quite a bit recently, but are the Wii's "casual" games hurting gaming overall? I'm not sure if the people saying this are just Wii-haters, so I wanted to see how the Wii owners felt about this topic. There are those that are saying that because the Wii is appealing to traditional non-gamers the hardcore gamers are suffering. Since Nintendo is selling Wiis like crazy, and many people are buying the various mini-game compilations, or other pick up and play type games, Nintendo (and the third parties) are not focusing on the deeper games that are aimed at the traditional gamer (or "hardcore" gamer). What do you think?
xvwvx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 xvwvx
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts
This is an old and tired argument that people are using against the Wii. It's pretty much a load of BS, to put it bluntly. There aren't enough "casual" games out there to say that the Wii is being overrun with them. There are a lot more "core" games out there than there are "casual" games. For every mini-game compilation out there, there are 10-15 non-mini-game compilations. The people that say that Nintendo is forgetting their core audience are wrong. Simply wrong. Nintendo is not only introducing new IPs, but their old, tried and true core games are all on their way. Metroid Prime 3? Smash Bros? Animal Crossing? Mario Galaxy? Those are not casual gamer games. The problem is that those games haven't come yet, and people are getting anxious. It's true that there is a bit of a gaming drought on Wii right now, but the same could be said about the PS3 and 360. We're in slow months. That's how it is. The Wii has been out about 8 months - it's still pretty new to the market. The big games are coming, and Nintendo is definitely NOT forgetting about the core gamer. I have 5 Wii games, and none of them (besides Wii Sports) is a "casual" game. And I'm planning on getting a lot more non casual games in the near future. It's just a lame argument that is being thrown around, and it's completely false.
LProjektST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LProjektST
Member since 2005 • 1055 Posts
Casual games arent hurting gaming, but minigame compilations and half-assed ports are
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts

No.

The hardcore Nintendo faithful buy the games that Nintendo makes. Metroid, Zelda, Mario etc...

The casuals buy the 3rd party minigames and other casual games.

The difference between the Wii and Gamecube is that the GameCube had the games for the hardcore, and not the casual. The Wii has both.

hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
As Jeff said a while ago:
"The release of games like Cooking Mama on the Wii doesn't stop the production of any other games, so stop complaining"

So pretty much, no. Sure, there are lots of 'casual' games, but thats not going to slow down the release of games like Zelda or Metroid.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Casual gamers are the mainstream not the hardcore gamers. Without casual games, the industry would be dead. In the beginning, the old arcade games like Pac-Man or Donkey Kong werecasual games and they were masterpiece.

Casual games are not supposed to hurt gaming. They are there for increasing the gaming. They help the industry.Also, don't confuse casual to non-gamers games. Non-gamers prefer to play on Nintendogs or Brain Age.

valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 valdarez
Member since 2003 • 2174 Posts

No. If anything, it's reinvigorating it. I have played games for 30 years now. Back in the days of yore, you could solve a game in 5 to 15 minutes. Now days, they make games that take 20 to 120 hours to complete (or more even!). Personally, I'm tired of playing games where they want you to invest weeks of your life. I enjoy games where I can sit down, play it, feel like I accomplished something and walk away. In addition, I love the Virtual Console and the XBox Live Arcade as there are new side scrollers coming out. Video games lost a lot of their life when 2D gave way to 3D. I enjoy side scrollers, always have, always will and it's good to see new 2D side scroller games coming out once again. Kudo's to Nintendo for bringing fun back to gaming.

hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hazbazz

No. If anything, it's reinvigorating it. I have played games for 30 years now. Back in the days of yore, you could solve a game in 5 to 15 minutes. Now days, they make games that take 20 to 120 hours to complete (or more even!). Personally, I'm tired of playing games where they want you to invest weeks of your life. I enjoy games where I can sit down, play it, feel like I accomplished something and walk away. In addition, I love the Virtual Console and the XBox Live Arcade as there are new side scrollers coming out. Video games lost a lot of their life when 2D gave way to 3D. I enjoy side scrollers, always have, always will and it's good to see new 2D side scroller games coming out once again. Kudo's to Nintendo for bringing fun back to gaming.

valdarez

hmm, I disagree. I prefer a game I can really sink my teeth in to. I like to feel I've got my money's worth. Today I beat Wind Waker for the first time :o and I was pleased I'd spent quite a bit of time on it. If it was just 20 minutes long I'd be like "WTF"
gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
Not reading the post, just the topic, this post should be in system wars.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

As Jeff said a while ago:
"The release of games like Cooking Mama on the Wii doesn't stop the production of any other games, so stop complaining"

So pretty much, no. Sure, there are lots of 'casual' games, but thats not going to slow down the release of games like Zelda or Metroid.
hazbazz

Indeed. As long as you keep buying the games you like there will still be a market for them, however small. If people take that philosophy en masse then there is no problem (and indeed, most people simply buy what they like!)

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
No.
valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 valdarez
Not reading the post, just the topic, this post should be in system wars. gooflee
[QUOTE="valdarez"]

hazbazz

hmm, I disagree. I prefer a game I can really sink my teeth in to. I like to feel I've got my money's worth. Today I beat Wind Waker for the first time :o and I was pleased I'd spent quite a bit of time on it. If it was just 20 minutes long I'd be like "WTF"

Well of course the price point needs to align with the game quantity / quality of the game. You wouldn't pay $60 bucks for Heavy Weapon.

specialvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 specialvi
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts

I've heard this quite a bit recently, but are the Wii's "casual" games hurting gaming overall? I'm not sure if the people saying this are just Wii-haters, so I wanted to see how the Wii owners felt about this topic. There are those that are saying that because the Wii is appealing to traditional non-gamers the hardcore gamers are suffering. Since Nintendo is selling Wiis like crazy, and many people are buying the various mini-game compilations, or other pick up and play type games, Nintendo (and the third parties) are not focusing on the deeper games that are aimed at the traditional gamer (or "hardcore" gamer). What do you think?funky_muzic

how many casual games are out on the computer??? alot. but you don't see it stopping hardcore computer games anytime soon do ya?

NECR0CHILD313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NECR0CHILD313
Member since 2006 • 7025 Posts
Wii casuals are expanding the market just like Playstation Casuals did, overall helping gaming by increasing the amount of gamers. I don't see the issue.
movin_target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 movin_target
Member since 2005 • 3412 Posts

No.

The hardcore Nintendo faithful buy the games that Nintendo makes. Metroid, Zelda, Mario etc...

The casuals buy the 3rd party minigames and other casual games.

The difference between the Wii and Gamecube is that the GameCube had the games for the hardcore, and not the casual. The Wii has both.

hiho24

lol at ur sig

ArkansasBoy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#16 ArkansasBoy91
Member since 2006 • 2430 Posts
All the nintendo Titles for Wii are just fine.. Even though many suck :D. i dont think the CASUAL games will destroy anything for wii
frosty_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frosty_shark
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts
no way. i would class myself as a casual gamer only because i work shifts and dont get to play as much as i like. bt still i completed zelda tp in 32 hours. i think casual games are good alround because it gives people like me the chance to just pick up a game and play!
Shomb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shomb22
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
More developers means more jobs for the US and the world. !!*
AFK4Lifez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AFK4Lifez
Member since 2006 • 691 Posts
All casual games are doing is getting nongamers into gaming itself. Which is, if I must say so myself, an excellent thing to do. If you can turn non gamers into gamers in the first place theres a 50/50 chance you'll turn them into hardcore gamers. Which for the videogame industry is of course a good thing.
Avatar image for cradleOFfilth37
cradleOFfilth37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 cradleOFfilth37
Member since 2005 • 9156 Posts

Casual games arent hurting gaming, but minigame compilations and half-assed ports areLProjektST

Normally casual gamers only play half-assed ports and minigame collections.

frosty_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 frosty_shark
not all casual gamers play half-assed ports and minigames! i have zelda and cod 3, mario striker which i dont think are minigames and that. altho i think i would be a core game if i had the time
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hazbazz
not all casual gamers play half-assed ports and minigames! i have zelda and cod 3, mario striker which i dont think are minigames and that. altho i think i would be a core game if i had the timefrosty_shark

joining a videogame forum automaticlly brands you as a hardcore gamer :P
Welcome to Gamespot
frosty_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 frosty_shark
thank you!
quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 quetzalcoatl45
Member since 2005 • 1850 Posts

No, infact, they are killing the old trite and ringing in a new age.

Some gamers are just fearing change, but we should embrace the casual games, they can improve our lives and make the world a better place.

You could improve your Speech and Sentence Structure (i sure as hell need to, i cant wait for "my word coach"), or learn how to Listen better......................In addtion to guns and blood that is.

soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
there should be casual games, but not only casual games. so i think that fact that they are easier to make and flooding the system whereas the good games are taking longer to make are not, right now it hurts a bit more than it helps
valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 valdarez

Some gamers are just fearing change, but we should embrace the casual games, they can improve our lives and make the world a better place.

You could improve your Speech and Sentence Structure (i sure as hell need to, i cant wait for "my word coach"), or learn how to Listen better......................In addtion to guns and blood that is.

quetzalcoatl45

Good point. Give me some fun casual games that actually teach me something!

Think about it... a game called 'Border Control', where you have to infilitrate the Mexican smuggling ring in order to stop shipments of drugs, illegal aliens, what have you... they tell you some basic spanish sayings before each level. Then, during the level, you watch/play the game, and are required to choose a response when posed with a question. If you choose wrong, then your cover is busted!

Heck.. you could do that with James bond... for pretty much every language out there. That would be a VERY fun way to learn another language.

StupidHenchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 StupidHenchman
Member since 2006 • 912 Posts

valdarez
I agree.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I would say no, thes quick Wii Sports like mini game fest, that require 5 months of development with a team of 10 people arent taking away from the development of the hardcore game. So I would say that they are actually helping gaming, by expanding the buisness and making it a more mainstream entertainement medium
funky_muzic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funky_muzic
Member since 2006 • 249 Posts

Thanks for everyone's insight. I agree and I don't think the rise of the "casual genre" is hurting gaming at all. In fact, the 2 games that I play most on my Wii right now are Zelda and Wii Sports (with a little Excite Truck thrown in). I know that if I play Zelda, I'll probably have to play for at least an hour, especially in a temple. Wii Sports is quick enough that I can play it for just 5 minutes (bowl a quick game or try to top my "Returning Balls" score of 92!)

As an older gamer, now that I have a wife and kids, I don't have as much time to play games. If I have to fit in my gaming in 5-15 minute spurts, then that's what I do, and in that way, these casual games cater to me too, even though I'm a hardcore gamer at heart.

frosty_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 frosty_shark
im the same as funky_muzic. i have a wife and 2 kids so i get to play in about half on hour spurts so casual games work for me. bt they shouldn't spot the core games like re4 and so on. i like 2 play games like that as well when i get the time.
Avatar image for ClandestineZero
ClandestineZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ClandestineZero
Member since 2004 • 2477 Posts

quetzalcoatl45

Ideally, there'd be a balance between the two, so that the casual gamers will have games to play, and we the core crowd have our games too.  Right now it FEELS like the balance is tipped in the casual game's favor, but I think given time we'll hit a better balance by the holiday season.Â