Anyway to fix the wiiu's god awful wifi?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

i can not get this thing to connect to the internet for anything. I'v gone through and entered the ip and everything else manually as i saw it was the most popular fix but it just refuses to connect to the internet and not allowing me to play anything. this is pretty rediculous for a console to have this issue especially when all my other consoles, even my 3ds connect.

does anybody have any advice?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Use the Wired LAN adapter that was usable with the Wii to get a better Wired connection. You can buy them at Best Buy.

Not only will it work better, but your signal will be much more stable as well. Wifi is not the way to go for online consoles
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

Use the Wired LAN adapter that was usable with the Wii to get a better Wired connection. nini200

This is precisely what I did and luckily I already owned one. I've no idea what the problem is as my PS3, 360, Vita, 3DS and PC have no issues whatsoever connecting via WiFi. The Wii U? Disappointing to say the least.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Djmaster214
Use the Wired LAN adapter that was usable with the Wii to get a better Wired connection. You can buy them at Best Buy.

Not only will it work better, but your signal will be much more stable as well. Wifi is not the way to go for online consolesnini200
doesnt really work for me unfortunatly the nearest spot for a wired connection is pretty far and i dont want a cable running through my house, this sucks the wifi on my ps3 and 360 works perfectly hell even my wii picks it up everytime
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Try to manual input your IP address and all the other info for your router.Try to also open some of the ports on your router by port forwarding. I don't know which ports the WiiU needs.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Wireless is fine, just put your router on channel 1 or 11 to make the signal get there easier.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

I think your wifi just sucks.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Mine works flawlessly...

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nini200
My wifi works fine but I know the difference especially with bandwidth intensive games such as fighting games. Wireless will most definitely lag whilst Wired gives a good steady signal the whole way. I must be wired if I'm doing any online play as I want as little lag as possible.

If you don't mind, what type of connection do you have as far as internet?
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Had no problem with mine, but decided to go with the wired setup, for a faster connection.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

I used WiFi with my Wii without any problems, replaced it with a Wii U and now there are problems all the time even though the settings are identical and the placement of both router and console have not been changed.
Ssome things work though so I'm unsure whether it's the WiiU itself or software related, for instance, I can't use the online shop or Miiverse, trying just results in error messages (a few different ones), but the browser works most of the time and NSMBU shows comments from other players.

So I guess I'm half online...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i had to call tech support to get mine to connect...

good luck.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Mine works perfect, but I have a rather great setup :D

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Wireless is fine, just put your router on channel 1 or 11 to make the signal get there easier.

Jaysonguy
This is true. Wifi is pretty stable and I've never had a problem with it on any system. People who need wired connections are just paranoid. My Wii U's wifi has worked with no problem. It could be an issue with your router not liking the Wii U or your Wii U's wifi is messed up. Try the channel 1 or 11 thing first and if that doesn't help then you should reset your router. I know my 360 wouldn't connect to my router when I first got it until I reset it, not sure why but that fixed it.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I havent had a single problem with my Wifi, stuff works better on the Wii U then my pcs and they are wired!

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#17 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I had no end of trouble getting the Wii U to connect to my wi-fi network. I finally called Nintendo Support (1-800-255-3700) and they got me set up. Still, it's super slow-- it took forever and a day to download the massive system update.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Djmaster214

ok so update thanks to all your tips it connects to the internet i can browse the internet and miiverse is up and running i can post comments etc.

however now i cant play anything becuase the update wont complete. the timer will just go up from 40 seconds and give up around 5 minutes anyone had this issue?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nini200
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

AlmightyDerek
This is true. Wifi is pretty stable and I've never had a problem with it on any system. People who need wired connections are just paranoid

Tell that to Smash Bros Brawl online. Over Wifi, the game lags like crazy but on a stable and faster wired connection, it works virtually lag free.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

nini200
This is true. Wifi is pretty stable and I've never had a problem with it on any system. People who need wired connections are just paranoid

Tell that to Smash Bros Brawl online. Over Wifi, the game lags like crazy but on a stable and faster wired connection, it works virtually lag free.

Smash Bros is completely dependent on everyone's connection. Most games are better optimized than it. Besides Wi-fi is faster than just about everyone's connection. Most internet download speeds are between 4Mbps and 30Mbps. Wifi usually operates between 50Mbps and 130Mbps. So speed isn't really a factor as even crappy wifi is already faster than the internet itself. Stability is a possibility of course but unless there is a lot of wireless interference nearby it shouldn't really matter.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

ok so update thanks to all your tips it connects to the internet i can browse the internet and miiverse is up and running i can post comments etc.

however now i cant play anything becuase the update wont complete. the timer will just go up from 40 seconds and give up around 5 minutes anyone had this issue?

Djmaster214

yea... click on home button..then go to download manager...and click on the system update and just wait...

if you try to play games and let it download in the background it wont for some reason..