Anyone Wish Pokemon wasn't "Pokemon"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tomizzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 tomizzo
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts
I hate how a good game like pokemon can be looked down upon like complete crap just because of the show that ruined it. I don't play Pokemon anymore just because of how it's known to be kiddy. I wish they could exchange pokemon for I don't know, just something else. I would like to get into the game but just don't want to be known as the 15 year old that play pokemon.
bigboss00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 bigboss00
Member since 2004 • 2508 Posts
... Grow up, maybe?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Every game has you playing a pretend person in a world of make beleive

Maybe you should take a closer look at yourself and how you view yourself. Once you've assured yourself about that you'll be able to branch out and play any game you want having the self confidence to stand by your likes and not parrot what others say.

Good luck

bobtheflounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bobtheflounder
Member since 2003 • 1126 Posts
Well, in a way I agree with you. But, part of what makes the games great is the fact that they are "pokemon". The nostalgia is a huge factor in why I still enjoy playing these games. I may be the 22 year old who still plays pokemon games, but honestly I don't give a crap about what other people think of me when I buy the game.
Ragamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ragamer
Member since 2008 • 548 Posts
I love pokemon. I used to watch the show all the time. Everybody loves the game, so who cares if its a kid show or not..
Jimmi323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Jimmi323
Member since 2006 • 870 Posts

I'm 18 and I play Pokemon. And I'm not a 'loser' if that's what you were thinking. If my friends say anything, I just laugh at them, and eventually they admit that it's cool, if only for its nostalgic element.

If it's really that big a deal, just don't play it around other people.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#7 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

What are you talking about? Pokemon really isn't Pokemon any more.

Have you seen the last two batches of Pokemon added to the roster from Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl?

Anyone who's been keeping up with the series since the beggening would tell you the new ones don't look jack **** like Pokemon.

Who cares how old you are if you play Pokemon? Pokemon is old enough now that it's timeless like Mario and Zelda. There is no embarassment in playing it. My generation looks at Pokemon now in a nostalgic fashion. And if there really are people still around making fun of others based on if they play Pokemon, they need to grow up.

Besides, it's not like you need to make the fact that you play Pokemon public. You can just play it at home. At your age your probably to busy to be carrying around a gaming device in public.

k3nne3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 k3nne3e
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts
well the series is supposed to be based on the games in a sense except that the games make you feel that its you catching pokemon and not ash ketchum, i dont play the games anymore because i just lost interest but if anyone questions it, you can just reply its a really great rpg
DSJAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 DSJAM
Member since 2006 • 54 Posts
If you're worried about what other people will say about what game you're playing,don't. If you like it play it. I'm a 33 year old father who owns Pokemon Pearl for DS. I also dance in the aisle at Toys R us if my 2 year old daughter wants to dance to some singing toy she finds. Some people look. Most just smile. The one who don't? That's their problem. People need to stop worrying about what others think. I know it's hard. We all get self conscious at times,but if you don't do something you enjoy because of other people,you're just costing yourself the chance to have fun.
Ragamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ragamer
LOL the above post makes me laugh. It's true, pokemons fun so who cares if people think its childish
Icewells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Icewells
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts

I've been watching Pokemon since I was about 9 or 10 man and now I'm 15, I would admit dat the cartoon is gettin' a little stale, u know same old little 10 year old kid story, but the anime and video games are still enjoyable and entertaining, so i guess I'll still continue to watch the show and play the games as long as they keep making them.

Although it would be cool if they decide to change up the story a little, I mean Ash has been 10 for about 6 years now Come on thats just wrong.

Ragamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ragamer
LOLOL. Ash is really old, that's hilarious. made me laugh. Anyway, yeah they should stop the show but with Pokemon: platinum coming out, it should keep the pokemon franchise going.
king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts

Maybe you should take a closer look at yourself and how you view yourself. Once you've assured yourself about that you'll be able to branch out and play any game you want having the self confidence to stand by your likes and not parrot what others say.

Good luck

Jaysonguy
In a way a small part of me agrees with you, but this post by Jaysonguy is correct.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

Uh, who cares? I'm 21, an ex-division 1 college football player majoring in pre-law and English planning on becoming a corporate lawyer and I download the Naruto Shiippuuden torrent every week.

Do what makes you happy, if people make fun of you then screw them, you will never talk to them after high school anyway.

Squire_Ramza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Squire_Ramza
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts

What are you talking about? Pokemon really isn't Pokemon any more.

Have you seen the last two batches of Pokemon added to the roster from Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl?

Anyone who's been keeping up with the series since the beggening would tell you the new ones don't look jack **** like Pokemon.

Who cares how old you are if you play Pokemon? Pokemon is old enough now that it's timeless like Mario and Zelda. There is no embarassment in playing it. My generation looks at Pokemon now in a nostalgic fashion. And if there really are people still around making fun of others based on if they play Pokemon, they need to grow up.

Besides, it's not like you need to make the fact that you play Pokemon public. You can just play it at home. At your age your probably to busy to be carrying around a gaming device in public.

vashkey

They all look fine. The original set has a lot of uninspired pokemon too. Caterpie-Metapod-Butterfree, Weedle-Kakuna-Beedrill, Pidgey-Pidgeotto-Pidgeot, Spearow-Fearow, Sandshrew-Sandslash, Ekans-Arbok, Rattata-Raticate, Meowth-Persian, etc, etc. All lame and cheesey attempts at pokemon if you ask me. Alot of the newer sets bring some originality while they do have their share of cheesey bad attempts but thats to be expected when you have as many pokemon as there are. It's the same with digimon, some are unique but I feel alot of them are just so uninspired and made just to increase the numbers.

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
Yeah I can see where you're coming from. It can feel a little emasculating having little kids on the bus watch you play while you're sitting next to a hot chick. But it's a great game and a great series so I will keep playing it.
FallenGod666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FallenGod666
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts
i don't care what people think i'm 18 and i still play pokemon, if somebody do say something i just star cutting ass(tell jokes about them)on them.
Avatar image for SherlockHolmes1
SherlockHolmes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SherlockHolmes1
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts
Not ashamed at all to be playing Pokemon and I just turned 37, I've also been a weightlifter/bodybuilder for the past 17 years so people don't make fun of me in general, though it wouldn't change my opinion of the game if they did. I've never seen the show, but the game is fun to play and that's all I really care about.
trenno2529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trenno2529
Member since 2007 • 3396 Posts
i got my 1st pokemon game (red version) when i was 8 years old and it was the greatest thing ever. i'm still a huge pokemon fan and i don't think i'll ever stop. i don't care wat other ppl say. u give any lip 2 pokemon and i'll bust a cap in ur punkass.
Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts

Im 17 now and will be going to college in a year, and i still play pokemon.

Personally im glad pokemon is pokemon. Without all of the hype 10 years ago the games might not be around today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I just wish the current Pokemon games weren't like the same Pokemon games I've been playing for over a decade.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Yeah I guess at times it can be embarresing playing a Pokemon game but its worth it so maybe we should all grow up
edrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 edrc
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I honestly think you don't have anything to worry about. I'm seventeen and still play pokemon though i wish the game turns 3d but thats a whole diff story, Pokemon is one if the best monster raising franchises that are out there in the market. And if you played eversince the GBC like i have playing the game would bring back a lot of memories like everyone is saying. So don't worry about what your friends say i'm sure they secretly play it >:). Add On: My Physics Teacher Plays pokemon o-o.
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts
I don't particularly care. When I bought diamond, the guy behind the counter promptly turns to the other guy working there and starts commenting on how's it's such a stupid kiddy game while I'm paying. I didn't know him, and was probably never going to see him again, so it didn't really matter to me.
Stuffed_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stuffed_Monkey
Member since 2007 • 1436 Posts
Pokemon was cool back then and it's still cool now.
PJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PJ24
Member since 2005 • 3816 Posts
I love pokemon. I used to watch the show all the time. Everybody loves the game, so who cares if its a kid show or not..Ragamer
Shouldn't he be like...thirty by now? :P But yeah, I'm 17 and I love the game. A friend of mines got it too :)
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

Well I'll let you know that whenever I see someone playing a DS in college, yes, college, 99% of the time, it's a Pokemon game.

Who cares what other people think.

GodsPetFido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GodsPetFido
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

Good luck

Jaysonguy

I agree with Jaysonguy.

Some people in society have standards, and if a person falls under their standard they are stereotyped. People ridicule others for not being theincarnation of themselves. Most of the time it is seen in school settings, even in public there may be glances of hate. The reason why these people use judgement so often is because they are naive and unmature to understand the world they live in, but most of all they don't know themselves. They are fearful of succumbing and losing their social status. It's quite sad I know.

Trust me there is nothing to worry about, when you're innocently playing a Pokemon or a DS for that matter. You will soon grow to mature and lose sight of selfconsciousness. You are not alone.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

LMAO.

Me and a bunch of buddies play Pokemon. No one cares.

A bit insecure are you? :P

AytVimC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AytVimC
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

The Pokemon series has always been fun for me and what other people say about it doesn't affect the fact that I still like it.

Just play it at home if you truly don't want it to be known you play. I mostly play my DS at home or on car rides. I rarely bring mine outside because of the glare from the sun.

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
well really, if someones makes fun of you because your the 15 year old that plays pokemon , who really cares what they think , thats just being a jerk.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Yes I wish it was Digimon :roll:.
greedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 greedom
Member since 2005 • 347 Posts
I wouldn't say the show ruined it. Infact I'd say the show is the reason that Poke'mon is such a huge hit to play. A lot of people I know are still willing to play the Poke'mon games, the classic ones are still concidered cool because they were apart of my youth anyway.