Anyone else a little miffed over Squenix's $39.99 pricing?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts
I wasn't surprised that they wanted $40 for Revenant Wings since that was a (fairly) legit entry in the Final Fantasy series. But Rings of Fate is also $40. World Ends With You is $40. So it looks like Squenix decided to charge $40 for all their DS games. I've generally chosen not to buy overpriced GBA and DS games on principal in the hopes that witholding my money would help discourage the practice. I think Tactics Ogre was the only GBA game I paid $40 for. But, I'll probably cave and buy World Ends With You at full price since it's a title I really want. So I was wondering: Do any of you go out of your way not to buy DS games at the $39.99 price point, or is it just not that big of a deal? In my opinion it just seems a bit pricy for a haldheld game so I usually try and vote with my wallet to help encourage lower prices.
project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 project-exile
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts
I hate it when I have to smack down 40 something dollars for a game. That sucks. I guess games are getting more expensive now a days.
zeroxfinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 zeroxfinal
Member since 2007 • 383 Posts
yea.... i brough final fantasy 12: revent wings and DQM:J and both games i felt i got rip off because it was boring and i didnt really understand the story.The story in those 2 games seems so stupid and the gameplay sucked.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

yea.... i brough final fantasy 12: revent wings and DQM:J and both games i felt i got rip off because it was boring and i didnt really understand the story.The story in those 2 games seems so stupid and the gameplay sucked.zeroxfinal

Ok, so you feel you got ripped off for 40 but if you paid 29.99 or 34.99 it would have been fair?

As for the games I just find a retailer that carries them for 29.99 or 34.99 like other Nintendo games.

Avatar image for Yooper_at_heart
Yooper_at_heart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yooper_at_heart
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
I waited until Revenant Wings price dropped. I've had to fork $60 for some of my 360 games and I'd rather not do that for another system, hence I haven't bought a 360 game in awhile. Crystal Chronicals or the World Ends with you I'll cave and buy one of them full price.
paul_hubans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 paul_hubans
Member since 2006 • 131 Posts
Most of Square-Enix's games are overrated and overpriced... I'll try to pick up FFXII:RW on eBay for around $30 if I can, but only after I've beaten FFXII... Which I never did, since I got so bored with how lame the Final Fantasy series has become these days... Long gone are the days are trudging across a snowfield in Magitek armor... So long to cool characters and deep plots... Now the Final Fantasy series is more like a fashion show; just a bunch of eye candy and showing off Nomura's "chic" character designs... They have nowhere near the same magic and whimsy as Amano's designs did... Man, I'm so disappointed with where gaming has gone!
Char1es

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Char1es
Member since 2004 • 341 Posts

whinge whinge

you should come to australia. The AU$ is almost equal to the US$ (A$1 ~ US$0.93) and we regularly pay $70-80 for our DS games, and often upwards of $100 for our console/PC games.

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts
If you have a problem with the pricing of any one publisher, buying the games at hat price isn't helping your case. All it says to them is "They're hooked, let's try $50 next gen"
swornsecrets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 swornsecrets
Member since 2005 • 1958 Posts

If you have a problem with the pricing of any one publisher, buying the games at hat price isn't helping your case. All it says to them is "They're hooked, let's try $50 next gen"Yagami-Iori

Thats true lol. But honestly I dont want to pay more then I already have too. Maybe you should get some connects, lol or try some online sites to order from. ;)

JGram33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 JGram33
Member since 2003 • 206 Posts
i think ds games are pretty expensive since they are for a portable. $30 is a good price tag for a ds game, since most gameboy games back in the day were $30, but i'll pay $35 if its a really good game. most of the time i use coupns anyway.
Avatar image for FrozenDragon123
FrozenDragon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 FrozenDragon123
Member since 2005 • 831 Posts
Well $40 is pretty steep, but if you think about it, RPGs do have more content then the average game.
project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 project-exile

Most of Square-Enix's games are overrated and overpriced... I'll try to pick up FFXII:RW on eBay for around $30 if I can, but only after I've beaten FFXII... Which I never did, since I got so bored with how lame the Final Fantasy series has become these days... Long gone are the days are trudging across a snowfield in Magitek armor... So long to cool characters and deep plots... Now the Final Fantasy series is more like a fashion show; just a bunch of eye candy and showing off Nomura's "chic" character designs... They have nowhere near the same magic and whimsy as Amano's designs did... Man, I'm so disappointed with where gaming has gone!paul_hubans

I agree with everything you said. I have not been really impressed with the ways square enix games have been heading ever since sakaguchi left square soft. It seems to me the creativity is just not their anymore. I really did love trudging through the snow field battling against the magitek armor. I miss the good old days of final fantasy. I hated 12 so much it did not even feel like a final fantasy game. Amano is great and nomura to me is just not cutting it.

el_pablo65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 el_pablo65
Member since 2004 • 39 Posts

For the most part SE games have the extra production value to warrant the higher price. Final Fantasy III was teh first DS game I paid 40 for. I felt I got my money's worth.

Still, in the big picture, Nintendo games are the most inexpensive available. The PSP games are starting to come out for 30 and 40 but have been 50 often, As previously mentioned, 360 and PS3 titles start at 60 and yet the Wii titles cap at 50 for disk only games. I realize the same difference in production value applies. The market will bear out. If people wait for a price drop they will eventually start at a lower price. If the people keep buying it will continue as is (or worsen).

paul_hubans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 paul_hubans

@ project-exile, I'm glad to see there are still true fans of the once-great series! It seems like people today just settle for really pretty graphics but have no idea that the game was once really about exploring cool worlds with moving stories and interesting characters!

By the way, with your name you must have heard of Project Exile (Black Sigil) for DS, right? That game looks like it might be what fans like you and me are looking for!

likesstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 likesstuff
Member since 2008 • 226 Posts

whinge whinge

you should come to australia. The AU$ is almost equal to the US$ (A$1 ~ US$0.93) and we regularly pay $70-80 for our DS games, and often upwards of $100 for our console/PC games.

Char1es
You couldnt have said it any better.
XNCgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XNCgamer
Member since 2008 • 802 Posts
$40 is a little high, but usually RPG's and games that will last you awhile are priced a little more because of their content.
edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts
solution:R4
MorkkiTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 6

#19 MorkkiTH
Member since 2005 • 828 Posts
here where I live DS games are normally 39.95e(61.43dollars) and square games are about 45-54.95e... (69dollars-84.50dollars) :(
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="Char1es"]

whinge whinge

likesstuff

You couldnt have said it any better.

No, he really could because his example makes zero sense

Games in the US for the DS come in three flavors

34.99 (reserved for the cream of the crop Nintendo franchises)

Square Enix charges even above that for their games. While they do a very good job with their games they're not as polished as their Nintendo counterparts in most cases yet they still charge 5 to 10 dollars more a game.

As far as regions paying more for games go complain to your government about your trade laws or move.

Radiohead85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Radiohead85
Member since 2003 • 3068 Posts

solution:R4edwardorito

Of course, that's such a brilliant idea.

I mean, game developers don't deserve money for the games the develop, do they? What they're doing is essentially charity work, and they don't deserve to profit off of years of hard work and expert programming.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

[QUOTE="edwardorito"]solution:R4Radiohead85

I mean, game developers don't deserve money for the games the develop, do they? What they're doing is essentially charity work, and they don't deserve to profit off of years of hard work and expert programming.

well they are charging us a lot and with the amount of shovelware...

I mean a really good game, say a quality game made by Nintendo (perhaps mario kart for one) deserves whatever price is given to it, b/c it's a good game. but when you're charging 40 US dollars or whatever for a title that isnt really triple A, it's not fair to the fan base that more or less consists of teens, pre-teens, and the like.

So we should download games illegally and play them to our heart's content, b/c developers arent cutting us some slack (as are retailors, you should see the pricing in this country, ridiculous.) But then again it's this kind of attitude that makes developers raise prices since so many people are either bootlegging the game or just basically pirating and making developer's time and effort go to waste. You really cant find a balance can you...

Ques4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ques4d4
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

Roughly,a dollar is double a pound.

I live in the UK, and games cost £30 at minimum - From lower budget companies.

And you are complaining about paying £20!!

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 project-exile

@ project-exile, I'm glad to see there are still true fans of the once-great series! It seems like people today just settle for really pretty graphics but have no idea that the game was once really about exploring cool worlds with moving stories and interesting characters!

By the way, with your name you must have heard of Project Exile (Black Sigil) for DS, right? That game looks like it might be what fans like you and me are looking for!

paul_hubans

I started playing final fantasy games way back in the old days like back in 1991. I remember the first time I saw final fantasy 2 with the airships flying to baron after that I was hooked. To me graphics really don't mean much to me I would rather play a snes game over most of the games that came out today. Yes my name is about the game black sigil blade of the exiled. I cannot wait for the game to come out. It has that old school snes style that I crave in games. I am just a old school gamer.

tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tylea002
Member since 2006 • 2351 Posts

Ques4d4

QFT! Its not fair at all in the UK, the equivelent of $60 for all games, they are not reduced regularly. We have to pay on average $80 for brand new games, so I would *politely* like to tell you to quit your moaning.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I don't mind paying more for a SE game, their production quality is usually at the top for any system. Plus they can charge that much because they know people will pay, you should see what they charge in Japan for new DQ and FF games, they are usually charged the equivalent of $30 dollars more than regular price.

7CloudStrife7

I would have to agree with you. I don't buy every SE game but the ones I do are always worth it. I think SE makes great games.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArchonBasic
[QUOTE="Radiohead85"]

[QUOTE="edwardorito"]solution:R4thattotally

I mean a really good game, say a quality game made by Nintendo (perhaps mario kart for one) deserves whatever price is given to it, b/c it's a good game. but when you're charging 40 US dollars or whatever for a title that isnt really triple A, it's not fair to the fan base that more or less consists of teens, pre-teens, and the like.

So we should download games illegally and play them to our heart's content, b/c developers arent cutting us some slack (as are retailors, you should see the pricing in this country, ridiculous.) But then again it's this kind of attitude that makes developers raise prices since so many people are either bootlegging the game or just basically pirating and making developer's time and effort go to waste. You really cant find a balance can you...

If a game is worth the cost then buy it. If it's not worth the cost then don't. There's no good reason to pirate.
ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ArchonBasic
[QUOTE="Ques4d4"]

tylea002

QFT! Its not fair at all in the UK, the equivelent of $60 for all games, they are not reduced regularly. We have to pay on average $80 for brand new games, so I would *politely* like to tell you to quit your moaning.

Sometimes I forget how much of an international audience Gamespot has picked up in recent years. A little perspective goes a long way. Obviously my $5 problem doesn't even compare to the prices the people in Europe, Australia, and other places have to deal with. Though in your case I think part of the problem is that you guys get murdered on sales tax but don't have to pay any income tax, correct?
ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ta11on
Member since 2007 • 784 Posts
Their prices are pretty out of the way, but I still pay full price for the ones I buy because Squenix does make good quality games, and I dont want to miss out.
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

...I've generally chosen not to buy overpriced GBA and DS games on principal in the hopes that witholding my money would help discourage the practice. ... So I was wondering: Do any of you go out of your way not to buy DS games at the $39.99 price point, or is it just not that big of a deal? In my opinion it just seems a bit pricy for a haldheld game so I usually try and vote with my wallet to help encourage lower prices.Archon_basic

You and me both.

I don't think higher quality is what is driving prices in Squenix's case. I think it is greed pure and simple. They know that their fans will pay the price, so they charge it. A lot of people don't mind it, but I feel like they are squeezing me for money. IMO Squenix games are good, but so are a lot of other games--and those other games aren't $39.00. So I play the other games until there is a price drop or a good sale on the Squenix games I want.

Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

Square has been doing this for a while.

I remember paying $59.99 Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger.

I guess if anyone can get away with it, it's SquareEnix.

sakuranoame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sakuranoame
Member since 2006 • 322 Posts
I even buy games that are over $50... well, they're Japanese imports...
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
All of SE's games have been 39.99 (except DQHeroes and Chocobo Tales) I don't see what the problem is. Expensive for a handheld game? It's only 5 dollars more than a regular DS game AND THE SAME PRICE AS A NEW PSP GAME! DS GAMES BEING PRICED LIKE PSP GAMES!!!!!! OH NO WHATEVER SHALL WE DO?!?!? Here's an idea, buy the game. It looks a lot better than FFXII:RW which you say was worth 40 bucks.
Char1es

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Char1es
Member since 2004 • 341 Posts

Sometimes I forget how much of an international audience Gamespot has picked up in recent years. A little perspective goes a long way. Obviously my $5 problem doesn't even compare to the prices the people in Europe, Australia, and other places have to deal with. Though in your case I think part of the problem is that you guys get murdered on sales tax but don't have to pay any income tax, correct?Archon_basic

unfortunately no, here in Oz we get slugged with income tax as well. Theres actually quite a lot of debate over why games cost so much here, but sadly noone is able to come up with a price breakdown so we cant identify any reason. Heh, and like you say, as bad as we have it here, Im sure there are even worse. I cant imagine the gaming scene in Tuvalu is very vibrant.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
No, some games are worth the money, but what i do find horrible is a 60 dollar price tag on a 360 game..>>
vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts
I don't like it either. I'm selling a few games to help pay for DQM:J. I was gonna sell 'em anyway.:)
halfbreed11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 halfbreed11111
Member since 2007 • 578 Posts
dang you got ripped
paul_hubans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 paul_hubans
I think I remember paying like $80 for Final Fantasy III (VI) when it came out for the SNES in 1994.
Yoshi_Kirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Yoshi_Kirby
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts
[QUOTE="Radiohead85"]

[QUOTE="edwardorito"]solution:R4thattotally

If you don't think the game is triple A and worth it's price tag, then don't buy it. Simple as that. If you want it bad enough, then either buy it at full price or wait for a sale.

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 project-exile

I think I remember paying like $80 for Final Fantasy III (VI) when it came out for the SNES in 1994.paul_hubans

Both final fantasy 2 and 3 for the snes where really expensive games. I remember getting final fantasy 3 and the box was just stuffed full with all of the stuff about the game. I wish I had the original stuff. I still have this poster it came with. Those where the days when companies would just pack the game with tons of stuff. Rarely do companies do that now.

bluesora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bluesora
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts
40$ only for a SE game..... or a very very good one (like brawl)
fleig_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fleig_man
Member since 2006 • 858 Posts
umm i heard somewhere that SE uses higher capacity DS cartridges so they can do the FMVs and voice acting. I think that's why they are at a higher price.
dominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dominae
Member since 2003 • 938 Posts
Square Enix is a completely different company now. With all the remakes and rehashes, anyone can tell where their priorities lie. I remember reading somewhere that Square has no interest in releasing their past library on the Virtual Console. Why charge five bucks for FF1 when you can sell it on the GBA and PSP for $30-$40? I understand completely that Square is a business, not a charity. But recently, with all the cash-ins (read: Dirge of Cerberus) I really can't get behind Square anymore. They lost me after FFX-2.
paul_hubans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 paul_hubans

Square Enix is a completely different company now. With all the remakes and rehashes, anyone can tell where their priorities lie. I remember reading somewhere that Square has no interest in releasing their past library on the Virtual Console. Why charge five bucks for FF1 when you can sell it on the GBA and PSP for $30-$40? I understand completely that Square is a business, not a charity. But recently, with all the cash-ins (read: Dirge of Cerberus) I really can't get behind Square anymore. They lost me after FFX-2.dominae

Well said... It's kind of a shame that they lost touch with their roots, became a corporate giant, and forgot about their true fans. Now they just want to appease the masses and make money by mass-producing eye candy that has little substance beyond its polished exterior.

Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts
I always avoid paying $40 for a handheld game. One of my favorite places to get games cheeper is costco. If the game is popular enough you can find it there. I found FFIII and revelant wings there for only $35 which imo is a fair price
tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tylea002
Member since 2006 • 2351 Posts
[QUOTE="tylea002"][QUOTE="Ques4d4"]

Archon_basic

Sometimes I forget how much of an international audience Gamespot has picked up in recent years. A little perspective goes a long way. Obviously my $5 problem doesn't even compare to the prices the people in Europe, Australia, and other places have to deal with. Though in your case I think part of the problem is that you guys get murdered on sales tax but don't have to pay any income tax, correct?

No, tax isnt the problem, ignorant companies are. Tax is fine, and its not that bad (On the tax note, we do pay income tax, but people should still pay more. What? I'm left wing) but when companies think that 29.99 dollars is the same as 29.99 pounds. But Oh well, for DS at least, imports are calling!

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ArchonBasic

Square Enix is a completely different company now. With all the remakes and rehashes, anyone can tell where their priorities lie. I remember reading somewhere that Square has no interest in releasing their past library on the Virtual Console. Why charge five bucks for FF1 when you can sell it on the GBA and PSP for $30-$40? I understand completely that Square is a business, not a charity. But recently, with all the cash-ins (read: Dirge of Cerberus) I really can't get behind Square anymore. They lost me after FFX-2.dominae
Good post. I haven't given up on Square Enix yet but I'm not nearly the fan I was 5 years ago. I did love Final Fantasy XII, so in my mind they can still put out the huge RPG blockbuster from time to time. But I couldn't care less about all of these spinoffs and cash ins. Which is one reason why I'm excited about World Ends With You - it's great to see an original IP from Square.

And Square's refusal to put their games on the Virtual Console is a flat out shame. I can only hope that they eventually go that route after they've exhausted all of their other porting options (is there any kind of market for another re-release of FF 1 & 2? Time to cash those out on the VC.). At the very least they should give us DS ports of Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3. I don't get why they sit on such good games for 10+ years while they spam ports of FF 1 and make a million spinoffs of FF 7.

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 project-exile
I had no idea that square enix has decided not to bring their games to the virtual console, which just sucks big time and I think it will hurt them in the long run. The problem with seiken densetsu 3 and I had no idea about this until yesterday the reason why it never came over here is because they had issues with the game. They would fix one bug and then two would pop up. One bug in the game got to the point where sometimes if you hit a enemy nothing would happen. Maybe they where afraid of a recall. With square enix as a company I really started losing interest when they deciding on making all of those spin off of 7. For me once sakaguchi left square it seems the company has really lost a lot of the creativity it once had. For me I did not like final fantasy 12 at all. I always liked the traditional style of final fantasy better. I think if final fantasy 13 is not a smash hit I mean like when final fantasy 7 came out and made a big impact it might come to a dramatic end. All series have to come to a end. Not saying it won't just final fantasy 13 had better be really good.
dominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dominae
Member since 2003 • 938 Posts

Just an FYI - Here's the article concerning Square and the VC.

An excerpt:

"We feel that the Japanese game market still requires [physical] media. Also, FF and Dragon Quest are played by a wide range of users, from children to adults, so there are limitations when you consider the problems that we would have with billing systems."

I played and enjoyed Final Fantasy XII, but it didn't feel too much like a Final Fantasy game. And honestly, I liked FF7 until Square drove it into the ground and crammed it down our throats. Square = George Lucas?

Ok, a bit harsh, but embellished for effect.

pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts
I had no idea that square enix has decided not to bring their games to the virtual console, which just sucks big time and I think it will hurt them in the long run. The problem with seiken densetsu 3 and I had no idea about this until yesterday the reason why it never came over here is because they had issues with the game. They would fix one bug and then two would pop up. One bug in the game got to the point where sometimes if you hit a enemy nothing would happen. Maybe they where afraid of a recall. With square enix as a company I really started losing interest when they deciding on making all of those spin off of 7. For me once sakaguchi left square it seems the company has really lost a lot of the creativity it once had. For me I did not like final fantasy 12 at all. I always liked the traditional style of final fantasy better. I think if final fantasy 13 is not a smash hit I mean like when final fantasy 7 came out and made a big impact it might come to a dramatic end. All series have to come to a end. Not saying it won't just final fantasy 13 had better be really good.project-exile
I agree with everything you just said i use to be a big fan of square now not so much.