any one think that developers are under using the wii hardware?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fleetmenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fleetmenace
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts
ive played many many games and ive come to the conclusion that it seems the original xbox is capable of more features(ex. more enemies on screen, modes, ect) than what's on the wii
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Razmitaz
Member since 2008 • 142 Posts
The Wii is more capable than the original Xbox, but it's just as the title implies, the devs are still not using the Wii hardware to it's fullest. Hopefully games like the Conduit will persuade others to put more effort in their games.
fleetmenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fleetmenace
stop relying on the conduit to redeem developers why are there no racing games on wii besides mario kart(good racing games). where is fzero, thats always a graphical masterpiece. the one on gamecube was gorgeous, so i should expect better on wii but for some reason im not. racing games is my second fav genre but i dont have any on wii
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
stop relying on the conduit to redeem developers why are there no racing games on wii besides mario kart(good racing games). where is fzero, thats always a graphical masterpiece. the one on gamecube was gorgeous, so i should expect better on wii but for some reason im not. racing games is my second fav genre but i dont have any on wiifleetmenace
Um, Excite Truck, need for speed Carbon. Those are both great!
fleetmenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fleetmenace
i have excite truck its had its moment i only played it to beat it and i dont count that as a racing game not gonna play carbon dont want it, still looking for most wanted. i want another game like revolt, racing rc cars ftw
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Razmitaz

The Conduit by itself won't redeem the third party devs obviously. I don't think there is anything to redeem yet anyway. I believe the devs are just getting started; they're finally taking the Wii seriously. Or at least some of them are. I was just saying that the Conduit might influence others in putting more effort on graphics and production. The guys over at High Voltage are trying their best to fully utilize the Wii's capabilities.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 santiagochile
i have excite truck its had its moment i only played it to beat it and i dont count that as a racing game not gonna play carbon dont want it, still looking for most wanted. i want another game like revolt, racing rc cars ftwfleetmenace
Huh? Excite Truck is the best racing game on the Wii. It has great graphics, great controls, great tracks, sd music support, etc. Why would you not count it? And as for Carbon, its a great game. You have great racing games on the Wii, you just don't play them.
fleetmenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fleetmenace
developers should have taken wii serious when no more heroes came out. that was wii game built from the ground up and showed what wii can do, but still nope. i want a racing game with tight controls and precision and not a port of a ps2 game. and anyone starting to notice that the good wii games come out early in the year then wait for later in the year for guitar hero. thats how its been since wii came out
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Razmitaz
Oddly enough, it wasn't good games like No More Heroes that encouraged the devs. It was the amount of crap on the system.
Avatar image for mario-nin-freak
mario-nin-freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 mario-nin-freak
Member since 2009 • 9465 Posts
no, but they stoped series of games like star fox and others they should make more games for.
Avatar image for mario-nin-freak
mario-nin-freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 mario-nin-freak
Member since 2009 • 9465 Posts
ive played many many games and ive come to the conclusion that it seems the original xbox is capable of more features(ex. more enemies on screen, modes, ect) than what's on the wiifleetmenace
true, but the wiis game selection is better
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Razmitaz
Don't give up hope! They haven't stopped. I'm sure they'll give the Wii a Starfox and F-Zero of it's own. If not, it at least is getting it's own Pikmin.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
No has to think it, it's a fact the Wii is not being used anywhere near what it can do. SMG didn't even come that close to maxing the system out.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts
I've said this once before, and I'll say it again. It's pretty sad when argueably the best looking third party game on the system is Resident Evil 4, a now five-year old GameCube port (man, does time fly...). For me, that's more than enough proof that developers aren't trying to push the Wii. It shouldn't take over two years for a developer or two not under Nintendo to really make an honest attempt of a game that can show what the system is capable of. And we often hear remarks as to why Nintendo is the only company pretty much doing very well with the system. As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. :P
yoshieggs3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 yoshieggs3
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

Of course...Many developers see a family oriented system and want to make a quick buck by throwing the cheapest quickest games they can

Nintendo on the other hand have made amazing games like Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twiglight Princess

DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

I consider that the Wii has more power than all the 6th gen consoles, so I do agree that many developers aren't using all the potential of the Wii. Consider this:

-6th gen multiplats weren't as "watered" as 7th gen multiplats for the Wii. I consider that much too weird, unless 3rd party developers are being cheap or biased against the Wii.

-A sigificant portion of the Wii owners owned previous Nintendo TV consoles, so there's a decent amount of followers that want quality content for the Wii.

WHY GAME DEVELOPERS WON'T EXPLOIT THE WII'S FULL POTENTIAL!!!??? Unless those developers are the same people who are severely biased against the Wii in Gamespot's System Wars...

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Yes. But I think its a bigger sin that people are under-using the wiimote.
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendofreak_2
Yes. But I think its a bigger sin that people are under-using the wiimote.goblaa
The only thing that works well without M+ is the pointer right now. Everything else is just generally better off left to buttons. >_>
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Razmitaz

-6th gen multiplats weren't as "watered" as 7th gen multiplats for the Wii. I consider that much too weird, unless 3rd party developers are being cheap or biased against the Wii.

DragonxanderPR

The Wii has watered down ports because of technical limitations. Though, I do agree that these ports could be very much improved on. Most of the ports look like PS2 games!

WHY GAME DEVELOPERS WON'T EXPLOIT THE WII'S FULL POTENTIAL!!!??? Unless those developers are the same people who are severely biased against the Wii in Gamespot's System Wars...

DragonxanderPR

The devs are just lazy. The Wii is cheap to develop for, and attaracts a crowd that knows next to nothing about video games. This encourages the developers to create games with the least amount of effort and money possible, while still getting a decent profit. The majority of the casual gamers don't know which games are good, and which ones are bad.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
stop relying on the conduit to redeem developers why are there no racing games on wii besides mario kart(good racing games). where is fzero, thats always a graphical masterpiece. the one on gamecube was gorgeous, so i should expect better on wii but for some reason im not. racing games is my second fav genre but i dont have any on wiifleetmenace
It is really going to.
srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts
yeeh i dont think developers are using the wii's power to the fullest
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 santiagochile
No has to think it, it's a fact the Wii is not being used anywhere near what it can do. SMG didn't even come that close to maxing the system out.nintendofreak_2
No, the Wii was maxed out with Galaxy. The Wii only has the power of the original XBOX, so don't expect anything more. I don't know where you came up with that idea, but there is no evidence to prove it. If you want good graphics, go to another console, if you want innovative games, play the Wii.
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Razmitaz

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]No has to think it, it's a fact the Wii is not being used anywhere near what it can do. SMG didn't even come that close to maxing the system out.santiagochile
No, the Wii was maxed out with Galaxy. The Wii only has the power of the original XBOX, so don't expect anything more. I don't know where you came up with that idea, but there is no evidence to prove it. If you want good graphics, go to another console, if you want innovative games, play the Wii.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Wii's technical specifications, but it is said to be twice as powerful as the Gamecube. The Xbox can't be that far ahead, can it?

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendofreak_2

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Wii's technical specifications, but it is said to be twice as powerful as the Gamecube. The Xbox can't be that far ahead, can it?

Razmitaz

http://www.maxconsole.net/?newsid=8802

Wii specs.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 santiagochile
Don't give up hope! They haven't stopped. I'm sure they'll give the Wii a Starfox and F-Zero of it's own. If not, it at least is getting it's own Pikmin.Razmitaz
Pikmin for Wii is the Gamecube version with added controls. And no, I don't think you'll get a starfox or fzero, but I don't think those games are needed.
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 santiagochile

[QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]No has to think it, it's a fact the Wii is not being used anywhere near what it can do. SMG didn't even come that close to maxing the system out.Razmitaz

Actually the Wii has a 731 mhz processor but the XBOX has a 729 mhz. The Gamecube was over 400mhz, so no, the Wii is NOT twice as powerful as the Gamecube. The specs for the Wii were leaked three years ago.
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Razmitaz

[QUOTE="Razmitaz"]Don't give up hope! They haven't stopped. I'm sure they'll give the Wii a Starfox and F-Zero of it's own. If not, it at least is getting it's own Pikmin.santiagochile
Pikmin for Wii is the Gamecube version with added controls. And no, I don't think you'll get a starfox or fzero, but I don't think those games are needed.

Pikmin 3 has been "semi-announced" by Shiggy. Those games have installments in Nintendo's previous consoles, so I'm confident they'll continue the series here.

I'm aware that the Wii's specs were released a long, long time ago; I just can't read specs, dammit.:(

Well, judging by those numbers, it looks like the Wii is still a lot more powerful than the Gamecube. We should be seeing games that look better than Gamecube games by now.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 santiagochile

[QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="Razmitaz"]Don't give up hope! They haven't stopped. I'm sure they'll give the Wii a Starfox and F-Zero of it's own. If not, it at least is getting it's own Pikmin.Razmitaz

Pikmin 3 has been "semi-announced" by Shiggy. Those games have installments in Nintendo's previous consoles, so I'm confident they'll continue the series here.

I'm aware that the Wii's specs were released a long, long time ago; I just can't read specs, dammit.:(

Well, judging by those numbers, it looks like the Wii is still a lot more powerful than the Gamecube. We should be seeing games that look better than Gamecube games by now.

Why would you say that? The Wii isnt even twice as powerful as the Gamecube, while the PS3 is TEN times more powerful than the PS2. I think you have an exagerated opinion of the Wii. Besides, games like Call of Duty and Tenchu have looked great. As for Pikimin, I don't think we will see a new one, I mean you are about to get two Pikmins, so how can you ask for more. I expect the 3rd game to come out on the next console.
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Razmitaz

Yes, I think I overestimated the Wii. The Wii by now, should have more games that surpass the visuals of Resident Evil 4.

And Pikmin 3 has already been said to be in development for the Wii, by Shigeru Miyamoto. He stated this at E3 last year.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 santiagochile

Yes, I think I overestimated the Wii. Bhe Wii by now, should have more games that surpass the visuals of Resident Evil 4.

And Pikmin 3 has already been said to be in development for the Wii, by Shigeru Miyamoto. He stated this at E3 last year.

Razmitaz
Did he? Or did he say there would be a pikmin. Don't think you'll be getting new games while the new play games are being launched. And many games already look better than RE4. I'd say Tenchu looks better, so does World at War. Besides, RE4 took years to make. Don't expect every game to look that good.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
Things are looking good for the Wii. Deadly Creatures looks excellent. Madworld and The Conduit just around the corner. House of the Dead has great style.Even lesser games such as Pinball Hall of Fame look fantastic. I thought Trauma Center New Blood looked great. But i agree more work needs to be done to match the quality of the original xbox graphics; for comparison; Conkers Bad Fur Day, Ninja Gaiden Black, Rallisport Challenge 2, Crimson Skies,etc....these set the standard for the last gen graphics, years ago, and now developers cant seem to do that for the Wii now. Why?
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Razmitaz
He did in fact state that there is a new Pikmin in development for the Wii. There are some games that do look better than RE4, but the thing is, the Wii doesn't get these consistantly good looking games.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#33 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Compare a launch title XBOX game with a launch title Wii game and I think you'll change your mind.
Razmitaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Razmitaz
Halo: Combat Evolved to Red Steel? Halo still looks better.
Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

It's just been poorly represented I could swear most developers break out their Dreamcast or PS2 development kits and slap Wii on the side.

Super Mario Galaxy looks good, but I dare say we have seen nothing yet until Factor 5, who are alive and kicking despite rumours, showcases their games.

What Wii needs more of are Wii specific game engines both Quantum 3 and Athena are a good start and there may be more to follow.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
[QUOTE="Razmitaz"]

[QUOTE="santiagochile"] No, the Wii was maxed out with Galaxy. The Wii only has the power of the original XBOX, so don't expect anything more. I don't know where you came up with that idea, but there is no evidence to prove it. If you want good graphics, go to another console, if you want innovative games, play the Wii.santiagochile

Actually the Wii has a 731 mhz processor but the XBOX has a 729 mhz. The Gamecube was over 400mhz, so no, the Wii is NOT twice as powerful as the Gamecube. The specs for the Wii were leaked three years ago.

You got that a little mixed up the Xbox had a 733 mhz cpu, wii has a 729 mhz cpu.(Don't be confused because the xbox is 4 mhz faster, the Wii cpu outperforms it.) The Wii GPU and CPU are 1.5x faster than the gamecube counterparts, Wii also has around 4x the amount of ram.
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

The difference comes down to shaders. The Xbox had shaders built into the hardware which made it very easy for developers to use. Wii can do shaders but developers have to code them in using the TEV unit in Wii's GPU. Unfortunately very few third parties bother. Super Mario Galaxy is one of the few games that uses shaders (like when you crawl around on that giant bee) :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#38 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41598 Posts
Yeah, they have been underusing it. Why Twilight Princess never reached it's full potential like it's supposed to, I'll never know.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Well there's SMG and MP3. After those games the best looking games are GC ports like TP and RE4.

I was playing RE4 GC version the other day and was wondering why Wii games don't look this good.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nintendofreak_2
Yeah, they have been underusing it. Why Twilight Princess never reached it's full potential like it's supposed to, I'll never know.nintendoboy16
TP was a GC game. >_> It can't be maxed out on the Wii if the Wii is more powerful.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#41 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41598 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Yeah, they have been underusing it. Why Twilight Princess never reached it's full potential like it's supposed to, I'll never know.nintendofreak_2
TP was a GC game. >_> It can't be maxed out on the Wii if the Wii is more powerful.

It didn't even reach full potential on the Gamecube either. Unlike Resident Evil 4.
_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
Why are all of you blaming the developers for the low quality of games on the Wii? How about blaming Nintendo the ones who used that low quality hardware in the first place. If Nintendo used up to date hardware and motion sensing, they would have gotten all the great multi-plats in full glory. Instead, the fans get sub-par games that are soon to be the fillers of bargain bins. So blame the people who are responisble, blame Nintendo for giving us terrible hardware for which the developers see no point in developing for.
Avatar image for DaLegendKilla92
DaLegendKilla92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaLegendKilla92
Member since 2007 • 919 Posts

Konami has with Castlevania judgment (graphics)

THQ has with de Blob and Deadly Creatures

Sega (Headstrong) has with House of the Dead (Battalion Wars) has

Ubisoft !!! has with Shaun White Snowboarding

Capcom....we'll see when Monster Hunter comes out

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts

Why are all of you blaming the developers for the low quality of games on the Wii? How about blaming Nintendo the ones who used that low quality hardware in the first place. If Nintendo used up to date hardware and motion sensing, they would have gotten all the great multi-plats in full glory. Instead, the fans get sub-par games that are soon to be the fillers of bargain bins. So blame the people who are responisble, blame Nintendo for giving us terrible hardware for which the developers see no point in developing for._Pinbot_

The flaw in this arguement is its asumption that the new gen is easier to program for than the last gen. Really, the last gen should be much easier to work with because developers have been working with it for over 8 years. Wanting the Wii to look like an Xbox360 or a PS3 is unrealistic, but its games should at least look like and play as well as the best the cube had to offer. Becuase Nintendo has done this(Metroid and Mario Galaxy are good examples), it is clearly not thier fault a lot of 3rd party games have the art style of a crayon on toilet paper.

As for developers seeing no point in developing for the wii, it had nothing to do with the hardware. At first everyone, and I do mean everyone, thought the Wii had no chance at being the #1 selling console this gen so the devs pretty much ignored it. Then when it sold like crazy they all thought it would be a fad. And now they are just barely starting to actaully try on it. If it had simply been hardware they would have been all for it as it is ten times (just a figure of speech but pretty close to the mark) cheaper to develope for, meaning they would not have to sell well over a million units to break even.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Its obvious most developers aren't using the full power of the Wii's hardware. Only few actually try to get as much out of it as possible.
Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
I agree. I mean, I think that is the case in both of the Wii's graphical capabilities as well as what they can do with the controller. I mean we've seen mostly what we can do with it and what we can expect, but I think they're not using it to it's full potential. I really hope they step it up a bit ...
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Meh i don't even care that much about the lookers. It's the lack of attention/features that should have been in there that bug me most.
If they can make a game work, without being a complete clone, then i'm more than willing to close my eyes while playing.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts
It's quite obvious that developers aren't getting the most out of Wii. Super Mario Galaxy is the model right now. Not even other Nintendo games have half the graphical quality of this title. Here's hoping that Pikmin 3 and the next Zelda top galaxy
Avatar image for DaLegendKilla92
DaLegendKilla92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaLegendKilla92
Member since 2007 • 919 Posts

[QUOTE="_Pinbot_"]Why are all of you blaming the developers for the low quality of games on the Wii? How about blaming Nintendo the ones who used that low quality hardware in the first place. If Nintendo used up to date hardware and motion sensing, they would have gotten all the great multi-plats in full glory. Instead, the fans get sub-par games that are soon to be the fillers of bargain bins. So blame the people who are responisble, blame Nintendo for giving us terrible hardware for which the developers see no point in developing for.ekalbtwin

The flaw in this arguement is its asumption that the new gen is easier to program for than the last gen. Really, the last gen should be much easier to work with because developers have been working with it for over 8 years. Wanting the Wii to look like an Xbox360 or a PS3 is unrealistic, but its games should at least look like and play as well as the best the cube had to offer. Becuase Nintendo has done this(Metroid and Mario Galaxy are good examples), it is clearly not thier fault a lot of 3rd party games have the art style of a crayon on toilet paper.

As for developers seeing no point in developing for the wii, it had nothing to do with the hardware. At first everyone, and I do mean everyone, thought the Wii had no chance at being the #1 selling console this gen so the devs pretty much ignored it. Then when it sold like crazy they all thought it would be a fad. And now they are just barely starting to actaully try on it. If it had simply been hardware they would have been all for it as it is ten times (just a figure of speech but pretty close to the mark) cheaper to develope for, meaning they would not have to sell well over a million units to break even.

It is actually %50-%80 cheaper to make a Wii game than on the other consoles. Still, money can't make talent.......
_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts

Lets look at this from a logical stand-point. Developers want to make money. Money is made through game sales. Thus developers want to make games for the systems where they can get the most sales. Now lets look at multi-plat games for a minute. Since the PS3/360/PC have basically identical hardware they all can run bascially the same game. And since the total number of gamers of PC + 360 + PS3 > Wii the deveolpers see that it is more profitable to make one game and port it to three consoles than to make one game that will only be bought by the users of one console. Since the Wii is using hardware that is similar to the hardware used in the last generation of gaming and the PS2 was still being supported, it was very profitable for the developers to make 2 different copies of a game to run on each set of systems and generate the maximum amount of sales. Now that the PS2 is being phased out, I expect the see a drop in the number and the quality of the multi-plat games on the Wii since there will be no way that the developers will be able to make large amounts of money.

IF Nintendo had not used last gen hardware, then the games that are made for the other systems could easily be ported over to the Wii to make an even bigger profit. But since the Wii needs a separate game all together, the developers either skip out on it completely (Resident Evil 5) or they use an existing engine to create a game of the same name, but that is nowhere near the scale or quality of the same name on the other consoles to make a quick profit (Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop). The developers are probably under using the Wii's hardware because there is no reason why they should further explore its capabilities since they are already working with better and more advanced hardware to make larger and better games.