Am I the only one that dislikes Anime?

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts

Am I the only N fan that dislikes anime??? I would absolutely love trauma center if they gave it a more realistic style. I would like a surgery sim. I feel that it would also fit the more adult casual market very well. For instance, I could see my Mom/dad getting into a medical game, if it wasn't for that strange (imo) art design and rediculous soap opera dialogue. Not tryin to dis on fans of the series. It's just not my style. I do actually like the gameplay quite a bit.

Who else feels the same way?

Avatar image for TimeToPartyHard
TimeToPartyHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TimeToPartyHard
Member since 2004 • 1963 Posts

Yes, are are the only one.

(you're really probably not, but I certainly don't agree with you)

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 skingus

TimeToPartyHard

I respect your opinion, but honestly, wouldn't a realistic medical sim be kind of cool? My girlfriend even thinks so.....and she's always right.;)

Zulgaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Zulgaines
Member since 2003 • 9750 Posts

There are more Animes than you could ever watch. Only a few make it the US.

If you don't like the art STIAL fine, but even then there are many many Anime art STIAL many many Anime genre types, and many many Anime tones- from totally silly to completely serious.

I find it hard to believe you couldn't find many Anime that you indeed like. But to enjoy real Anime you'd have to like subtitles too, I won't say anything black or white though since there's so many areas of gray in everything.

EDIT: For some reason I can't say S T Y L E

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#5 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I agree with you... i even cringe when i hear that cliche japanese grunting sound link and midna make in LoZ: TP...

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skingus

I agree with you... i even cringe when i hear that cliche japanese grunting sound link and midna make in LoZ: TP...

smerlus

I have to admit that I was not bothered by that in either game. Just sounds like Zelda to me. I also liked the art style in Windwaker as well. I liked TP better, but whatever.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skingus
[QUOTE="smerlus"]

skingus

I have to admit that I was not bothered by that in either game. Just sounds like Zelda to me. I also liked the art style in Windwaker as well. I liked TP better, but whatever.

I gotta say, the recent Castlevania games have turned me off for the same reason.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
I'm ok with it. Just not a big fan.
Glitch321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Glitch321
Member since 2003 • 913 Posts
Anime is the best.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
I hate anime on TV (except Ruroni Kenshin) and I hate anime based video games. I don't mind anime drawn characters in RPG's and stuff like that.
Acyberexile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Acyberexile
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
I hate anime. I hate anime based video games. I even got close to hating WCIII because about their way of drawing elves. I completely agree with you.
SolemnJedi79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolemnJedi79
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts
What a lot of people don't realise, is that anime is kinda like ordinary TV in japan, it's a sub of normal TV, and vastly popular. You got Anime action, adventure, romance, adult, horror, sci-fi etc, every genre you can imagine and a lot of different art styles. It's just like ordinary TV, soime you'll like some you won't, however, if you just don't like the style (ie: big eyes etc) then you just plain out won't like any of it, which is sad because a lot of anime's have great storylines. (Rurouni Kenshin, Full Metal Alchemist, Trinity Blood to name a few of my faves)
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skingus

I think this topic got taken out of context. The purpose of this thread was to see if anyone would support a more realistic Trauma Center type game, where the graphics, voice work, and overall tone of the game represented a more sim/life-like medical feel. A surgery sim if you will. I for one would be interested.

I'm not saying that I want total realism, as that may make alot of gamers a little squeamish, but just a more realistic tone overall.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, both of you are wrong about Trauma Center.

The art style is perfect for a game like that because it's powered by cutscenes. Adding what you call "anime" to the mix gives the still images a sense of movement to an otherwise static scene.

I love the art style because realism is boring if it's in everything. You can only do so much if you're going with realism. On the other hand once you start to take in different styles you can expend on what characters can do and how they can react.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skingus
Also, this isn't suppose to be an anime vs. realism thread. People are welcome to there favorite artstyles. Chocolate and vanilla...
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skingus

The art style is perfect for a game like that because it's powered by cutscenes. Adding what you call "anime" to the mix gives the still images a sense of movement to an otherwise static scene.

I love the art style because realism is boring if it's in everything. You can only do so much if you're going with realism. On the other hand once you start to take in different styles you can expend on what characters can do and how they can react.

Jaysonguy

I agree that there is a place for Trauma Center, but I also feel that there might be a place for a more realistic medical game.

quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 quetzalcoatl45
Member since 2005 • 1850 Posts

Anybody who hates anime has prob. just seen the Pablum they hack to bit's and try to market to kid's (Im looking at you 4Kids).

There are MANY series out there that are Mature, like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell and too many more to count.

Most of what they bring over is what's called Shonen, Witch mean it's aimedBoy's age 6-14, because it's what sell's the most(Series like Naruto, Bleach, DBZ ect.), but many older fan's also enjoy it. NA does not see nearly as much Seinen, or Series aimed at the 18+ crowd. But, many Western fans do not make a distinction between shonen and seinen, so only those who are deep into it can tell the differnce.

GunnerVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GunnerVIII
Member since 2006 • 4135 Posts
I personally love anime. There are a lot good stories to be told, and have told through it.
calvinx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 calvinx6
Member since 2004 • 1788 Posts

Anime is the best.Glitch321

Damn Right. Anime is one of the best art ever created.

SwigGY12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 SwigGY12
Member since 2004 • 6974 Posts
I hate anime. YEAH, I SAID IT. I never have liked it, and I don't understand the fad behind it.
quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 quetzalcoatl45
Member since 2005 • 1850 Posts

I hate anime. YEAH, I SAID IT. I never have liked it, and I don't understand the fad behind it. SwigGY12

it's not a Fad, its been around in North America since the 70's and has grown slowly over the Decades, it's not like it just Popped up one day and will be gone soon.

BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts
I dont know about theTrauma Center part(I never played any of them, maybe cuz its anime looking :P), but I am an N fan and I extremely dislike anime. There are not many cartoons I really like though.
sonickingdom77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sonickingdom77
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

anime is one of the best things i have ever seen

i have seen very few people dislike or hate anime

--ProtoMan--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 --ProtoMan--
Member since 2007 • 1376 Posts
I've tried to watch a few shows like Dragonball Z, but I could never figure out what was going on. I don't watch any anime at all right now.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#25 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

anime is one of the best things i have ever seen

i have seen very few people dislike or hate anime

sonickingdom77

i'm the opposite... outside of the internet i've seen very few people that like it.

I've seen a bunch of different movies and things, i in fact own ninja scroll on dvd... but that's as far as it goes. lately in games it's just a huge turn off for me.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i dont like anime but i never played trauma center.
Ehlohim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ehlohim
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts

I agree with you... i even cringe when i hear that cliche japanese grunting sound link and midna make in LoZ: TP...smerlus

I didn't really notice it in Zelda, must've just fit. But when it comes to anime, the constant barrage of surprised guttural gasps gets old pretty quick. I really enjoy cartoons in general and anime isn't an exception. The problem is that you really have two choices; subbed or dubbed.

A lot of anime aficionados prefer subtitles because it's closer to the source material. But raw japanese cartoons just aren't made for me. The gasps, high-pitch female voices, engrish, sing-songy voices, and lots of other things just aren't my cup of tea.

So that leaves english dubbed anime. The problem here is that whoever localizes it, often makes the characters voices & dialogue even worse, and waters down any mature content. Despite this, there have been a few excellent dubs. I really enjoyed the english versions of Full Metal Alchemist, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex, & Cowboy Bebop.

Most games are usually localized pretty well. Trauma Center specifically didn't go overboard, but the dialogue was a bit melodramatic. The parasites at the end are definetly something you'd only find in anime though. A more realistic tone would be interesting, but I think what they already have is fun enough.

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#28 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
i dislike most of the animes that are shown in the U.S because they always follow the same stupid formula: guy with spikey hair fights evil demons of some sort, geats beaten down, just when it looks like he'll lose he either gets stronger or gets help from another character. repeat ad naseaum. so i'm tired of shows like DBZ, Bleach, Naruto,and Yu Yu Hakusho, to name a few. most of the other animes shown in the US are trying to sell trading card games. BUT there are a few that i like. Fullmetal Alchemist is my favorite show of all time, and i do enjoy the occasional Ghost in the Shell episode.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Hey, I like anime, but I'd rather play a normal game. Sure I'll get the new Bleach game, but all in all, most anime based games suck. I just happen to like fighting games that are more anime based such as Bleach or DBZ. Also, I tend to keep my mouth shut about anime in public as I realize not everyone enjoys anime and nobody wants to hear someone argue over which anime is better, and blah blah blah. I took a Japanese Society course over the summer, and all these group of kids talked about was anime, and I cringed everytime. Not everyone in the class cares about your anime fantasies. So I enjoy anime, but don't talk about it every second and try and prove it's the greatest thing ever, because it's not.

As for Trauma Center, I think it has to do with that type of art being the most prominent in Japan, especially when that art is being targeted to younger boys and girls. I do agree that a more realistic medical sim would target not only people who like anime, but older individuals who are interested in that sort of stuff and are turned off by the "cartoony" visuals of a TC.

Mr_Doodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr_Doodle
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of anime, but I actually liked Trauma Center. I liked the art styles of the characters, although it's not like the gameplay itself was anime. So, nothing really bothered me much about the game, although if I had bought it, I might be saying other stuff.
R3volv3r_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R3volv3r_Snake
Member since 2007 • 260 Posts
Well, I hate anime, but i was on youtube the other day, and i came across a dragon ball episode, and i actually enjoyed it. I think the only reason i really liked it was because it had some pretty adult themes in it like death and love. Heh, yeah.
Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

I prefer more realistic CG video games than I do anime. I think anime style is a cheap way to make a game. The only anime style game I liked was Wind Waker and Tales of Symphonia (only because the GC was starving for RPGs at that time...I wouldn't tolerate it now on a console game).

Anime in general is not my cup of tea. Most anime cartoon series have horrible stories...that I cringe at. The only anime movie I enjoyed was Akira. The storyline to most animes are just ridiculous and feeled senseless action. But that's just me--I'm entitled to feel this way.

ranman1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 ranman1990
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
anime sux ......Ihatetelling the truth :P
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#34 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts
not an anime fan here....the only anime movie i enjoyed thoroughly was Perfect Blue
Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
Eh Most anime sucks, I have to admit, Bleach is the only anime that I ever will watch. I wouldnt call myself a Fan for watching one show.
ledzeppelin667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ledzeppelin667
Member since 2006 • 243 Posts
i dont really like anime either because the storylines are too obscure and the humor is very bland. i find the rare anime enjoyable, but they never know when to stop making episodes and this ruins the original story.
MasterSwordXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MasterSwordXXX
Member since 2007 • 943 Posts
i never liked anime except pokemon, that was when i was 7. Its very child-like and just not appealing to me. Thats imo though.
nmhwii9791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nmhwii9791
Member since 2006 • 380 Posts

Jaysonguy

Don't anyone disagree with him because he is ALWAYS right!
yeah...whatever.

Where I live there are tons of kids that are in to anime. Mostly the gothic, annoying one's. I used to watch it but to me it just seems like its gotten so cliche, like they haven't had a new idea in ages. I must admit that I thought FLCL was pretty cool and Cowboy Bebop will always be cool. But those shows both benefit from above average soundtracks. So yeah.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

nmhwii9791

Thank you, that's a very nice compliment

WiiNut6493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WiiNut6493
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts

i hate it too. i think it is stupid.

Spider-Pig rules!

nmhwii9791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nmhwii9791
Member since 2006 • 380 Posts
[QUOTE="nmhwii9791"]

Jaysonguy

Thank you, that's a very nice compliment

I was being sarcastic. Personally, I think you're a bit full of yourself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 092093
Member since 2006 • 1696 Posts
I like the style of the animation, but I HATE the stupid stuff they say on anime. That's why I just play DBZ games instead of watching the show, because if I play the game I can just skip past the dialogue.
kazekage1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kazekage1234
Member since 2007 • 1351 Posts
Anime is the best.Glitch321
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 riseneclipse
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts
well i used to really love anime but ive kinda grown out of it. i dont mind the art style butsome games could just be better with more realism. i personally think trauma center is better because of the anime part because as you said, the more realistic the more it makes people squeamish. i dont hate anime in any way but im just not into it as much as i used to be. just like i said some things are better with more realism, some things are better with the anime look. i think a surgery sim would probably sell well but i for one would not buy it.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

No it's your own prefered choice. If you don't like anime then you don't like it. Don't complain about how games have an artstyle you don't like. Saying that is shallow and you'll be missing out on loads of great games like Trauma Center.

Different people, different styles. Don't make an entire thread about an opinion because you already the know the answer to your own question. "Am I the only one that dislikes Anime?". You know that someones going to say they like it and someone else will say they don't. And then it'll cause some foolish argument over nothing important.

My apologies for being so....bitter but I get tired of threads like these. I leave these forums for a couple weeks and there's the exact same threads being made about the same things.

zero030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 zero030
Member since 2007 • 814 Posts
I like/love anime, but I agree with the TC with a more realistic approach to trauma center. Also they should just have surgery not much story imo.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="TimeToPartyHard"]

skingus

I respect your opinion, but honestly, wouldn't a realistic medical sim be kind of cool? My girlfriend even thinks so.....and she's always right.;)

Most artwork in my eyes is tolerable and should never ruin a game for you..

foooox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 foooox
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

I have to say that I disagree with you people, I have seen a lot of anime series like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece, Kino's Journeys, Breserker, Hajime no Ippo, Hikaru no go and much more.

Well if you noticed that most of those animes that I mentioned are adventure, shonun and comedy genre and those are the types that I prefer in anime. I don't like All anime series. For example, I don't like Harem genre in anime where the protagonist is loved by all of the girls and he has to choose between them because I think it's silly.

So you just have to watchthe type of anime series that suits and it's impossible that you hate all of the these genres

What I want to say is that most of Nintendo games are anime-art-style games like Mario,Zelda, Metriod and DK. And thatdepending on the style, genre and type(Role-Playing,Action, FPS etc.)of the game we like some ofthem more than the others.

So if you hate anime art style, you hate those Nintendo games

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

I like Anime.