A stylus with buttons would do wonders

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

I would prefer four to replace ABXY, but even one for the sake of simplicity would allow developers to make much more functional games.

You have to sacrifice so much if you want a stylus heavy game that also requires the movement of the analog because A,B,X,Y, and R are not allowed to be incorporated into the game.

So in other words BRING BACK THE Z button ha.

demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 demon-zer0
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

A stylus with buttons would do wonders

thedude-

A stylus with buttons would require a battery (or at least a wire with minimum 3 lines) or an inductive (at least megnetic) panel under touchscreen... so yeah, dreem on :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
IMO 3DS should have dropped the second screen altogether.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I don't see that working in any capacity. The buttons would be small and unwieldy, it would have to be bigger and therefore harder to place in the system, the cost of replacement would be high, the benefit would be minimal imo...
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
Is not that difficult. Some tablet computers had stylus with buttons almost 10 years ago. If it is wired it would be easier not to lose it I don't see it happening but it actually could bring a new layer of depth to controls
GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

eh...I hate using my stylus for anything.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[QUOTE="enrique_marrodz"]Is not that difficult. Some tablet computers had stylus with buttons almost 10 years ago. If it is wired it would be easier not to lose it I don't see it happening but it actually could bring a new layer of depth to controls

after reading this I researched it a bit (b/c I seriously have no idea of this), and I think it wouldn't be too bad, especially if it were tethered so it wouldn't need batteries and couldn't get lost. There are significant gameplay applications. Of course however, the ultimate flaw of this is that it would just need to be a whole new device since no dev would develop a game for a peripheral that only a small percentage of the user base has access to. So, maybe next gen.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i say 3ds should have added a 3rd screen !

HotelShy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HotelShy
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts

IMO 3DS should have dropped the second screen altogether.Heirren

This.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I'd love to see it happen, but a Wacom EMR pen digitizer or similar hardware would be terribly impractical on the 3DS's small touchscreen. The Wii U GamePad, on the other hand...that's something I would have been willing to pay extra for if it meant including a proper dual-digitizer system like most Tablet PCs of the last few years, or the Galaxy Note lineup. It actually has the screen space to make use of it, and you'd also get hover input, pressure sensitivity, and most importantly, PALM REJECTION out of the deal.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

IMO 3DS should have dropped the second screen altogether.Heirren

No way! Sure the amazing days of TWEWY are gone because of the top screen is needed most but no bottom screen would have prevented Kid Icarus: Uprising from being made! The bottom screen is worth that alone. Plus I LOVE maps being right there, Helps so much in Mario Kart.

blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]IMO 3DS should have dropped the second screen altogether.HotelShy

This.

Agreed! The whole dual screen thing is cool but I feel its a little played out now. Think how much better the handheld would perform if it didn't have to render the second screen. Not to mention the improvement to battery life not powering two screens. Then they could have added in the second analog as well. Not to mention the clamshell desigin is big and thick. Again I love my 3DS but I'm hoping Nintendo gets back to a more Gameboy Advance like form factor (original GBA) on the next handheld.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
[QUOTE="HotelShy"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]IMO 3DS should have dropped the second screen altogether.blueydwlf

This.

Agreed! The whole dual screen thing is cool but I feel its a little played out now. Think how much better the handheld would perform if it didn't have to render the second screen. Not to mention the improvement to battery life not powering two screens. Then they could have added in the second analog as well. Not to mention the clamshell desigin is big and thick. Again I love my 3DS but I'm hoping Nintendo gets back to a more Gameboy Advance like form factor (original GBA) on the next handheld.

But then it would be very similar to the PS VIta (1 screen, 2 analog sticks, d pad, etc., without the second screen.)
blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts
[QUOTE="blueydwlf"][QUOTE="HotelShy"]

This.

hydralisk86

But then it would be very similar to the PS VIta (1 screen, 2 analog sticks, d pad, etc., without the second screen.)

True and I guess the clamshell does protect the screens when carrying the system around.
syli82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 syli82
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
But clamshell doesn't look that cool.... It basically hides your ph look From-http://www.manthanstudio.com/
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Its not that outlandish of a concept. If it had a rechargable battery it could charge when plugged into the system and is being charged.