3DS Graphics Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts

Why in the world does every game you look at pretty much look PS2 quality and below, yet Resident Evil Revelations practically look like an early Xbox 360 game?

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I dunno, but the games I have (Super Street Fighter IV and DoA: Dimensions) look a lot closer to the 360 than the PS2.

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

The system was just released, so devs and trying to balance graphics with 3D usage. Also, graphics aren't everything and some devs prioritize gameplay over graphics.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

devs have low budgets for alot of their release games

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
Budgets wont necessarily determine graphics. If you've got talented artists and designers who know the limitations of the hardware, you can still put something together thats visually appealing, quite quickly.
DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

Developers just have to find out how much power they have to use. It'also the kind of game. Different styles don't lways use as much power as a realistic looking game. Though that doesn't make a game bad looking.

emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

It's all on the developers hands. They have the tools, the money and time.

iAmAbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 iAmAbel
Member since 2011 • 860 Posts

Because its 3D and not HD

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DGonlag

iAmAbel

You can have a 1080p game that looks like sh*t. It's not just resolution, it's also texture. Without the power you can't fill the HD screen. I don't think there is a GPU for a handheld capable of that, atleast not affordable.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

iAmAbel
HD doesn't have anything to do with anything. Most Xbox 360 game running in 480i still looks better than most 3DS games. The problem is it's early in the life cycle so most of these games were rushed out, and of course the developers are still learning the system. Another reason is the 3DS is more of a portable 3D Gamecube than a 360 so it will of course look closer to PS2 quality. The system does have a pretty advanced GPU which will give it some 360ish effects and the fact that the screen is small will make some games look somewhat close to 360 games if done right though. Also developers almost always get a smaller budget with portable games so it's rare to get an all out effort graphic-wise with portable games. Resident Evil is probably more of an exception as Capcom is really talented with graphics on any system.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Budgets wont necessarily determine graphics. If you've got talented artists and designers who know the limitations of the hardware, you can still put something together thats visually appealing, quite quickly.Raiko101

ummm not rly. You have to pay everyone to put that kinda of effort in to make a good looking game, They aren't gonna give it their all if they aren't being payed to. MGS3D is a good example. Either make a larger team & pay everyone extra to remake all the assets or have a smaller team to port the PS2 version with a few extras. There are a few exceptions like the Witcher 2 which had an unussually low budget, but thats just an anomly in the general pattern.

Biigboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Biigboss
Member since 2009 • 218 Posts

[QUOTE="iAmAbel"]

DGonlag

You can have a 1080p game that looks like sh*t. It's not just resolution, it's also texture. Without the power you can't fill the HD screen. I don't think there is a GPU for a handheld capable of that, atleast not affordable.

This, 100% agreed.

Sathnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Sathnor
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts

Samurai Warriors Chronicles also looks like it has really good graphics, atleast for me.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

Why in the world does every game you look at pretty much look PS2 quality and below, yet Resident Evil Revelations practically look like an early Xbox 360 game?

lordlunch2

Keep when you are playing the game it looks a lot better then screen shots and even sometimes gameplay videos because those were recorded with some kind of software that might mess it up a little bit.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

I dunno, but the games I have (Super Street Fighter IV and DoA: Dimensions) look a lot closer to the 360 than the PS2.

Pixel-Perfect
Same here. Just by looking at SSFIV make you notice the system is capable of better graphics than the PS2.
foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

lordlunch2

don't you know that in order to make 3d images in the 3ds , it has to make another image. In other words, 3ds games are running on double the power of the system. Imagine an xbox360 spec cut in half so that you can see 3d images. Or, you can have 3rd generation graphics in the 3ds without 3d but maybe in HD graphics perhaps. Thats why there might be noticeable frame drops when activating 3d.

prostar343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 prostar343
Member since 2004 • 5258 Posts

[QUOTE="lordlunch2"]

foxfacer2d2

don't you know that in order to make 3d images in the 3ds , it has to make another image. In other words, 3ds games are running on double the power of the system. Imagine an xbox360 spec cut in half so that you can see 3d images. Or, you can have 3rd generation graphics in the 3ds without 3d but maybe in HD graphics perhaps. Thats why there might be noticeable frame drops when activating 3d.

hmm That is really interesting. If that is the case I wonder how great the games would look if the developers decided to not use the 3D functionality at all seeing as how Nintendo provides the slider to turn off 3D. However, I'm assuming Nintendo won't allow developers to create games without 3D.

E3GamerOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 E3GamerOnline
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
It's all a matter of how important graphics are to the developers, and much time and skill they have. Lets take Uncharted 2 for example. It's probably one of the best looking games on the PS3 developed by Naughty Dog. Now compare that to other games and you'll see how much of a difference it makes. Same goes with the DS. Pokemon would be a great example. Compare Pokemon Pearl to Pokemon Black and White? You can't. The graphics and animations are far superior. Hope I helped. I can assure you that the Nintendo 3DS will get better over time. The games that have been in development the longest are most likely going to be the better ones.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

iAmAbel

you didnt read his post..lol

he said why do some games look bad and others look awesome..

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DGonlag

[QUOTE="foxfacer2d2"]

[QUOTE="lordlunch2"]

prostar343

hmm That is really interesting. If that is the case I wonder how great the games would look if the developers decided to not use the 3D functionality at all seeing as how Nintendo provides the slider to turn off 3D. However, I'm assuming Nintendo won't allow developers to create games without 3D.

As far as I know, non 3d 3DS games have already been announced....

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/no-3d-only-games-for-3ds-says-nintendo-937395

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts

[QUOTE="Raiko101"]Budgets wont necessarily determine graphics. If you've got talented artists and designers who know the limitations of the hardware, you can still put something together thats visually appealing, quite quickly.painguy1

ummm not rly. You have to pay everyone to put that kinda of effort in to make a good looking game, They aren't gonna give it their all if they aren't being payed to. MGS3D is a good example. Either make a larger team & pay everyone extra to remake all the assets or have a smaller team to port the PS2 version with a few extras. There are a few exceptions like the Witcher 2 which had an unussually low budget, but thats just an anomly in the general pattern.

If you have to pay your own employees more to put in extra effort, then you're employing the wrong kinds of people. For a start, your salary is determined by your client, and that salary determines how long you spend developing a product. Not how well you work. If you don't give your best efforts then you're not going to impress many clients in the future.
Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

[QUOTE="iAmAbel"]

AlmightyDerek

...the 3DS is more of a portable 3D Gamecube than a 360 so it will of course look closer to PS2 quality.

It's got a more powerful processor than the Wii. It's a Wii+ with 3D.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I don't understand the complaints about the graphics for the system. They are great and all that is needed for a portable. Save the theatrics for a large HD screen, seriously.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts
Both the 3DS and PS Vita won't have graphics as good as the PS3 and Xbox 360.